Chapter 12

Cole knew his sister wouldn't back down. Not even with dark circles under her eyes, a few bruises on her wrist where handcuffs were and her curious mind working. She didn't even flinch under Kala's piercing gaze that was assessing her the moment she walked in her office. That was the reason she summoned Jane while Shay was still here. Kala wanted to see her reaction. It was a test in a way to see weather or not Jane was working for the City Guard.

But Kala didn't know her. Jane was always honest. Sometimes a bit brash and speaking without thinking, but she was brilliant. She was fourteen and with a masters degree in computer programming. She could have had it all.

Were it not for him.

He had to talk with her about it. He didn't want to say anything the other day. He didn't want to say anything while she tried to find a way around the world now.

She had grown so much in the last three years. He saw it in her gaze. The longing for childhood which was taken from her. Forcing her to grow up quickly in that shithole. And he couldn't even visit her. Those phone calls every month weren't enough. They never will be.

She had just gotten out and she is on the run again. From people far to powerful to cross.

Both Jane and him were looking at Kala, waiting for her to explain all of this to her. At first, Cole was against working with them when they approached him. He didn't want any part of it. Until he understood that those people wouldn't rest until they had them all in their palm. Until he found that his sister was on their radar.

He just didn't know was it because of her computer skills and her genious mind, or because of something else.

They offered to help her and he found himself without a choice.

So he offered them information on supplies and immigrants. And in turn they had gotten her out.

He would have to thank one other person for that too.

Then, Kala sat down in her chair and began the tale.

„Since the beginning of mankind, people always cast out others because they were different than them. People they thought were weaker, different and those who didn't fit in because they didn't know how to deal with them. Those they thought threatened their way of life. We survived so much in the last few centuries and humans still didn't learn that every life counts. To accept people that are different. Even after the Great War and all it's destruction. Retaliation for retaliation. And never ending suffering. And peace documents were signed and the world started to rebuild itself.

But still, there are people who are cast out, who are afraid. Expecially in this city where those who have power and connections are safe on the Island of Manhattan, The Safe Burrows. While the rest are hungry and find themselves believing in criminals and God knows what to help them. Reapper territory which is infested with narcotics and craized people is far to wide to pass through safely. You saw what they did to that captain. You know what is out there.

Sending a fourteen-year-old girl into a secure prison because of a crime she wasn't even responsible for is one of the methods of people controling this state to make people behave themselves according to them." Jane winced and Kala's expression softened. „ I am truly sorry for what happened to you. You were far to young for that." Cole put a reassuring hand on her shoulder as Kala continued. „I found this place eight years ago. I saw what was happening on the streets no matter that everybody was pretending. I wanted to help. And so together with my friends I founded this. A safe heaven for people with nowhere else to go, with pasts far to horrible to speak of. A place for runaways and people with talents. Those who wanted a hoped for a better life. For people that are like you, your brother and me. For those who want to help.