Chapter 4

Jane woke up in a dark room. At first she thought she was still in her cell, the silent buzz of the laser induced bars humming. Her release from prison just another dream, but then she smelled a light fragrant of cooked food and remembered. When she got up from the bed, the curtains let in the daylight. She went over to the window and took in the sight. Her brother's condo, located over a few small shops had an amazing view of the Burrows. It was then she noticed the room she slept in. 

The bedroom was cozy, practical and beautiful. It had dark walls filled with her scetches she did all those years ago. The bed was big enough for two people and a beautiful linen bedsheets. There was a big mirror on the oposite side of the bed near a white wardrobe which was slightly open to reveal her old clothes. Shirts in all colors and patterns, jeans and skirts. There was a dark green leather jacket that seemed new and a pair of black leather boots that went over knees. Gifts from her brother it seemed.

Leaving the bedroom she noticed that the shutters were still down in the entire apartment soo she went to the nearest bathroom which was as stunning as the room. She searched for towels and had discovered that the shower was self-managed which she rather liked. Entering the glass endowed shower, a small box filled with all kinds of soap and shampoos came out of the shower wall and Jane chose the jasmin scented ones as it was her favourite. Jane couldn't help showering herself even though she took one last night. She wanted to get rid of the prison scent that clung to her for the last three years. She shampooed and rinsed herself and as she stepped out of the shower a cabinet opened with freshly washed bathroom robe, while another cabinet opened with face creams, perfumes, body lotions and sprays. Even though most households had robots who would dry and style your hair, make meals and such, the Evans family preffered to live the old fashioned life style, and so her brother Cole passed on the family tradition. Their parents would have been proud. Even with everything that has happened, Jane always knew that, although her brothers were a bit more skeptical about that.

She missed Bash. Bash, the oldest brother. Bash, their protector. Bash who didn't deserve to be in a prison cell. He didn't deserve any of it and he took most of the blame. He was sentenced to eight years of hell and it was all their fault. Jane couldn't stand to look at herself in the mirror. She couldn't stop her tears. She sat down on the bathroom floor, her head in her hands and cried. She cried for what felt like hours until Cole came in and said nothing but sat down and hugged her. He pressed her against him, offering her support, soothing her the same way when they were kids and she hurt her knee. She hugged him back and when the tears stopped he scooped her up and carried her to her room.

He left her to dress herself as he went to the kitchen to make them a nice, big breakfast promising not to use old groceries. Jane dressed in cream colored trousers, a pink shirt with long sleeves with cutout parts at shoulders and her knew black boots. She styled her long, auburn hair in a braid and put some black clips in it. The whole thing probably clashed, but Jane didn't care. 

This was a grown up version of how she dressed before she had to put on a bright blue prison suit. She made her way to the kitchen and Cole had served her blueberry and cream waffles. They ate, having small talk. Her brother didn't ask much about her time in prison. Only did she befriend someone there, how was the food although he guessed that it wasn't much since he noticed that she looked thin, while she had always been rather curvy. „I have something for you." Cole said when he put the dishes in the dish washer. „Just promise not to hack into anything with it."he finished with a slight smile and produced a violet wristpad. „Technically, it was a gift for me, but violet never was my colour." He said as he put it on her wrist as Jane stared. „Thank you. Cole, you should have." She said as she hugged him. When they pulled back, Cole was looking at her and than the asked the question „Are you alright J? And I don't mean like alright as in I'm fine, but how do you feel."