Chapter 6

The favor Ron Bottacelli asked of him was more difficult to accomplish than he originally thought. A few bribes to the bartender and a few more to the club's owner and the councilor's presence there from a few days ago was erased. He called him a friend to Jane. Not a lie. Maybe a half truth. Councilor Bottacelli was a fat man, with fake hair and black pig eyes with an interesting choice of women. 

Suffice to say, Cole was glad that that favour was repaid and he would never have to speak to the man again. There was another stop he had to go to before going home to his little sister. One he dreaded. Dominick. No doubt Dom knew that he was going to pay a visit to him, if only to clear the matter of Jane. When Dominick proclaimed that every crook and crime lord will be going for Jane and her experties in computers and techno, Cole wanted to punch him, as hard as he wanted to fuck him. That was always their relationship. 

Circling each other like cats until one of them gave in and they would find themselves tumbling in a bedroom, or just a room without a bed. They understood one another. What drove them, what made them who they are. Outcasts who knew more than the rest of the world could afford. He knew that what Dom gave him last night was a warning. He supposed that he owed that much to him, a chance to save his sister from yet another crime, another sentence. Cole passed the ruins of what was once Empire State Building and turned on the corner where once stood a skyscraper was now being cleared for demolition to build another greenhouse. But now it served a different purpose.

 A meeting place between Dominick Teller and his cadre and himself. Upon entering, a person would have thought it to be empty, but Cole knew better. He walked down a short distance from the entrance to another door that led to a big open space of a theatre. Cole was greeted by Woodes Ackleback, Dom's sly little thief who was no more than thirty and stood 5'6 inches dressed in a business suit. 

He searched Cole and after taking his pad he gestured to the back rows where Dom was leaning on one of the seats and talking to Brainswick, his enforcer and Cora Ivalen, his private artilliary. The girl knew more about weaponry than most soldiers. Her short brown hair was tousled as he saw Brainswick pulled his fingers through her hair and she slapped him hard enough that most men would fall down. Brainswick appeared to be amused by her attempt. As Cole got closer he noticed that they all tensed up and Dom even stood up straighter.

„Good afternoon Cole." Dom greeted him as Cora and Brainswick acknowledged him with a nod and left to sit a few roows away.

„I suppose that this meeting has something to do with your visit last night."

„Perceptive as always." Dom said as he gestured for Cole to sit but he refused „I don't have a lot of time."

„No, I suppose you do not." Dom said with a bit of sorrow in his voice

„Will you tell me what is going on and why is it that you are on this side of the bridge."

„Business of course. Cole, I didn't ask you to meet me here just so that I would have an excuse to see you." I snickered „ Early this morning the major payed a visit to Central Guard Station in order to give Captain Shay and his team a new mission. You must have heard about him." He said with a silent question „Have you met him?"

„Yes, I know about him. A bit young for that position, but considering his relations, a bit odd."

„Captain's orders were to bring eight former convicts released yesterday from Arville Prison for further questioning. No one exactly knows except that the place they are bringing them to The NYC Guard HQ, located in Brooklyn, Black Reaper territory."He paused, taking a deep breath and said the words Cole knew he'd say. „Your sister is on that list." Dom looked almost appologetic.

„How do you know this.? How do I know that this isn't some kind of play?"

„I have contacts everywhere and besides I wouldn't do that to you. Not when it's about Jane.

„I have to go."

„Woodes his pad!" Dom yelled and Woodes tossed him my pad which he returned to me and then I ran.

A light rain started, the smell of it was feeling his nostrils as he ran to where he parked his bike. Why can't I go faster. I have to get to her. Get my sister. Get to Jane before they take her away from me again. Cole got to his bike, started the engine and rode. Rode across the streets and avenues, breaking speed laws but he didn't care. He had to get to his apartment where he hoped that they didn't come for her yet. That there was still time to get her out. 

He heard the stories, rumors about the major Shay, about her experimentations and if she wanted his little sister, than that bitch could go to hell. Cole barely turned of the electrical engine of his bike before he ran to the stairs that led to his apartment. He was breathing heavily by the time he got there. He used his pad to open the front doors and yelled for Jane. No answer. He checked every room, every corner. But she wasn't there. 

He didn't made it to her in time.

 She was gone and it was his fault again. 

Too late. He was too late again.