Chapter 14

In a month that Jane worked with Kala and her team she had discovered multiple things she had missed while being in prison. One of many things was playing baseball on frozen field now that winter was arriving. And she was rather good at it. Second, was reading magazines on her pad that Hally made her read to broaden her horizons on fashion, the world and boys. The first two she grasped but the latter she didn't really understand or care about since they weren't exactly on her top list even when she was studying.

Hally alongside Perrie also made her try out different styles of clothing to see what she liked and to find her own style. Right now Jane was into grunge style, which she thought looked rather good on her even though it wasn't worn by many lately. She even painted her nails and highlights.

But most of all she enjoyed working with the tech crew in the ops. Most of all with Phillips who was an even bigger expert than she was. Not that she would ever admit it to him. Since he was mostly on night shifts she would occasionally pop in on him covered in chips and his old headphones listening to loud soundtrack music in a barely lit room.

Jane spent countless nights there with him, talking, working and making fun of each other whenever she couldn't sleep.

Cole was in the mansion every other day. Even with his line of work which he still hadn't explained to her in details but she grasped the general idea he made sure to see her or call every day. Sometimes, he couldn't even hang up and she never made him to no matter how late it was.

Today he wasn't here and Jane spent her evening with girls and Felix (who Bea made come down) watching a holo and whatever series was currently playing when the power went out.

"What's going on?" Asked Perrie, trying to stand up only to hit a table with her desk and as she hissed she slumped back down on the couch nearly crushing Bea.

"You are sitting on my arm Perrie." Said Bea

"Sorry". Perrie's reply could be heard through the dark.

"I turned on my the light on my pad, standing up and walked to the under the main staircase where the main electricity trigger was. Hally was right behind me turning on her own light as she held it for me while I tried to turn the power on.

Nothing worked. Which meant the break didn't come from here.

It was computer accessed.

"Who would take the power out?" I asked no one in particular.

"Maybe the Guard found us." Hally said from behind me, her dark blue hair illuminated by the light of her pad.

"Doubt that. They would have already stormed the place if they did."

Noises could be heard from upstairs as Kala came down demanding what was happening. Tucker behind her like usual. Like a good dog with anger management issues.

"Evans!" Tucker called with a scowl "Did you do this?"

"Of course I did. I have nothing better to do with my time than to make pranks on the whole mansion." I said not being able to use that tone.

"Don't get snarky Jane." Kala said fishing a pad out of her pocket. "This is far too serious to take for granted."

I just shrugged and Hally kicked me with her elbow. The others were still sitting on the couch their pads casting an eerie glow. Everyone except for Felix.

"Do you know from where the power outage came from?" Kala had asked but I was already making my way to Phillips. If anyone knew it was him.

"Phillips will know!" I yelled and made my way up to the first floor where Phillips was on duty tonight. Hally stayed behind talking with Kala about something. But when I looked back at them I noticed them all looking where Felix was supposed to be.