Chapter 2

Cole Carter Evans stood on the terrace  of his newly acquired condo on the West Side of what used to be called the Island of Manhattan. Now it's just called Safe Burrows as it is the only place where there is no poverty or crime in the whole city of New York. He was drinking some old scotch which burned his throat as it went down and waited for a call from his younger sister Jane to pick her up. 

He hadn't heard from her in weeks as he couldn't visit her in the prison since he wasn't allowed to leave Safe Burrows due to his arrangement with the main prosecutor. His sister would call every other week to tell him how she's doing and making sure that Cole stayed out of trouble. He knew that it wasn't easy for her or for their brother. But when he got her call that she was being released early he never felt happier. Even though Cole pleaded guilty for their crime but the prosecutor still sent them to jail and he only got parol. It was a complete disaster back then and a torture for the last three years. 

Since then he used every card he had up his sleeve to make it easier for them there. His sister had been sentenced to three years in the Arville Woman facility, but since their brother was an adult he was sentenced to eight years in a hellhole of the Upstate Correctional Facility. A maximum security state prison in Franklin County, one of the few left that remained standing after the War. His brother endured, pleated guilty to spare his younger siblings, even though it wasn't his fault entirely. 

There were cameras who caught them and were showed on their trial, but for whatever reason they didn't show when a guard shot his fifteen-year old sister with an electric bullet that knocked her out and left a mark right over her heart. The doctors said that she was lucky she even survived. The prosecutors twisted and tangled the story to their own benefit and the jury fell for it. And now that same prosecutor has been elected as the new major of New York. Cole thought that hate was not enough of a word for what he felt for that deceiving bitch. The sun still high when his com buzzed. „Hey sis! Are you close?"

„Almost. The bus will stop on Pride Avenue Station in about ten minutes. There is traffic on the bridge so our two-hour drive ended up a three-hour driving so slowly that if we walked we would have gotten there faster although we are not allowed outside the bus until we get our ID's back."

„Don't sweat about it sis, I'll wait for you on the Pride Street then. Take care of yourself for another ten minutes. Then I've got you."

„Yeah, right. See you then C.C." He wanted to shout at her not to call him that but she already hanged up. He smiled at his nickname as he locked the door of his condo and went to meet his baby sister.

Jane was already waiting for him at the station when he crossed the street and ran so fast he almost knocked her off her feet when he slamed into her for a hug. „My sister."

„You're late."

„I have a perfectly good expalantion for it."

„I've missed you she said as they both started to cry."

„Oh, Powerpuff. Don't cry."

„Your the one too talk C.C."

„I told you not to call me that." He said as he released her and then noticed how much she changed. How much she grew up and stood straigher, no longer afraid of anything. She was taller than he remembered, but leaner, thin, almost like she was a bit underfed. Her auburn hair that the siblings all shared was longer, but pulled into a high tail. She wore what she was wearing the last time he saw her almost three years ago. A violet top, tight beige pants and brown knee-high boots. Her dark blue eyes shone with tears and he couldn't help but pull her into a hug again. When they finally parted he took her small bag at which she protested but finally gave in when he gave her no choice. He was happy she was home. Home with him knowing that she is no longer in any danger. He would question her later, after she took a shower and had a full meal about if they had harmed her or bullied her.