The Bet That Broke Me ~ Book•...

By ERoseAuthor

(BOOK ONE) Highest rank so far #2 in teen fiction This story has been completed but I unpublished chapters b... More

The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter One
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Two
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Three
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Four
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Five
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Six
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Seven
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Eight
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Nine
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Ten
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Eleven
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twelve
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Thirteen
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Fourteen
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Fifteen
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Sixteen
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Seventeen
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Eighteen
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Nineteen
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twenty
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twenty One
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twenty Two
The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twenty Three
The Bet That Broke Me Chapter Twenty Four
The Bet athat Broke Me Chapter Twenty Five
The Bet That Broke Me Chapter Twenty Six
The Bet That Broke Me Chapter Twenty Seven
The Bet That Broke Me Chapter Twenty Eight
The Bet That Broke Me : Chapter Thirty

The Bet That Broke Me : Chapter Twenty Nine

114K 3.2K 847
By ERoseAuthor

Three hours from my house, I found myself walking through the doors of what would become my "home" for three months. It was a private rehab center for teens around my age. Lily and David made the decision that this one would be the best fit for me. It wasn't considered small but it wasn't big enough to be declared a whole facility.

I wasn't sure how many other teens there were but I knew that there were quite a few and that I'd have a roommate. One that wasn't Hailey. Of course I've shared a room since I was thirteen, but this time I was sharing one with a stranger and that was a huge difference. "We will just finish our routine check. By then you should have her all checked in!" A woman, who if you ask me; was way to excited to be working in a home for the mentally ill, reach over her desk to hand lily another clip board.

The same woman reached for my bag as lily turned away, "I'll just search these for you." Before I could object she had already pulled my suitcase on top of the counter.

"I'm just looking for anything that could be harmful to you or anyone else." Still gushing, the woman proceeded to unzip my bag.

Other than clothes and hygiene products there was nothing else for her to find. I haven't worn makeup since prom and I don't curl or straighten my hair. I watched as she pulled out my only pair of sneakers. "Unfortunately we have to take the laces from you."

"That's stupid; I'm not going to kill my self with shoe laces." Lily's eyes flashed from mine to the woman in front of us.

"It's just precautionary."

She took a minute longer to finish looking through my bag. By time she was done, Lily, had finished filling out the rest of my paperwork.

"You are all good!"

"Call me every day okay?" I savored her warmth as lily pulled me for a suffocating hug.

"I will." We pulled back with tears in our eyes. Other than Hailey and David; this was the only real goodbye I got from the people back home. Aiden tried to come by the house the day after I got released from the hospital. David refused to let him through the front door.

All I heard was his voice as he pleaded with David. I sat on the couch listening to his every word. My mind had been so caught up with these past days that I hadn't even realized that I was standing in front of my room. My lungs welcomed a cold breath as I pushed open the door.

Inside; the room was split into two sides with a bed on each side. And one bed a black haired girl sat beaming at me. "Hi! I'm Andy," before I could even get my suitcase on my bed I was ambushed by the girl.

By my roommate. Andy. "I'm Alison."

"You are so pretty!"

"Thank you. So are you." She really was. Her hair was mostly black but there were a few blue strands scattered about her hair. Her skin was a light brown and she had almond eyes. As she got closer to me I realized how much taller she was as well.

"Here let me help you get settled." Her openness reminded me a lot of my best friend. Or at least of the girl who I thought was my best friend. Kelsey's face flashed across my mind. I didn't say goodbye to her either.

After finding out that she had known about the bet, I couldn't bring myself to talk to her. At least not yet. She only tried calling once after I left the hospital. I didn't answer.

She was my only real friend and even though a part of me resented her; I loved her too much. I loved how she made me feel. Almost like I was normal. We just needed time. And as shitty as this place was; it was the break that we needed.

"Thank you." My voice came out small but I made sure that I sounded appreciative. Andy offered a wide smile as she helped me unpack.

"So how long are you here for?"

"Three months. You?"

"Five, sadly." Her words were meant to sound depressing but her tone was the opposite. She kept her facial expression bland; as if deep down it didn't really bother her.

I would lose it if I had to stay here for five months.

"Why so long?"

"I keep relapsing. So here's a tip; if you wanna get out on time- behave." She mocked with an authority voice and pointed finger.

Got it. I had pretended a lot so this should be easy.

"So do you have any questions about this place? You know ones that won't have biased answers from the staff."

I'm sure I'd have some later but right now I was stumped. Andy made herself comfortable on my bed. Joining her with a simple shrug, "Any tips?"

"Of course. First off; be on time for everything. There's three chimes a day over the intercoms. Once for breakfast. Once for lunch. And once for dinner. Second; don't think about skipping any because you'll lose brownie points." I tried my best to remember what she was saying.

"If you have any medications prescribed be prepared to take them everyday as scheduled. One of the night nurses will give them to you. And lastly- be as honest as you can in group because somehow they know when we lie."

"Oh! And become my best friend because I'm awesome and I can tell you are too." Her laugh filled our room. Whether she was joking or not was beyond me, but she did brighten the mood.

"I'll think about it." I joked with her. The thought of replacing Kelsey was out of the question, but having a friend here didn't seem too bad. At least someone to keep me company that's all.

"Oh I promise you won't regret it." Andy sat up with a cocky smile. I shook my head at her as she headed towards her bed.

"So what exactly is your name, I didn't quite ask you."

Judging how she is acting now; I can tell she will make this situation better. Or at least as good as it can be. "Alison."

"Andy and Alison; sounds like a cool duo." Her brows knitted together as she lifted her hand to to head. Two fingers knocked an imaginary pair of sun glasses off of her head and on to her nose.

We laughed together for a few seconds before both of our curiosity mixed. "So where are you from?"

"I'm from West Valley; about three hours from here. You?"

Andy stretched her arms behind her head as she laid comfortably on her full sized bed. "Cool, I have a cousin there. I live about thirty minutes from here. Still a little too close to home; if you ask me."

"Well, why's that?" I turned onto my side so that I was facing her completely. She kept her eyes trained on the ceiling. I'd give anything to be that close to home.

"My parents are assholes. Dad's a drunk and mom doesn't care. I hoped my attempt would get me into one of these. Just not one so close to them."

I felt sorry for her as she spoke. She attempted to get away from her parents and I attempted so I could get back to mine. "How about you. What's your parents like? Hopefully not as shitty as mine"

"Um," I cleared the lump in my throat, "My birth parents are dead. They died a few years back. I was raised by my aunt and uncle since."

"Shit, Alison, I'm sorry." She pushes herself into a sitting position with her legs hanging off the side of her bed.

"It's okay. You didn't know."

"Is that why you are in here?"

"Not fully. They played a big part in it but it's because of someone else," Aiden was none of her business and I knew I didn't owe her or anyone else here an explanation, but some reason I felt compelled to vent to her. She just made me feel comfortable. We had only just met yet I felt like we shared a bond already.

"I fell in love with the wrong person. And because of it I lost myself." 

"Well that person is an idiot."

Truth was I was the idiot. Aiden may have been the impact that shattered me, but I was broken before him. I just never realized that I was lost before him too.

"You don't have to tell me the full story if you don't want to."

I mirrored her warm smile, "I appreciate that."

"You know what. You are going to leave this place as a new person."

"I wish that was possible."

"No, I'm so serious. I'm going to turn you into a bad bitch."  Considering there wasn't much to work with seeing how we were in a rehab center, her idea seemed silly. I appreciated her enthusiasm and intention to help me but it was unrealistic.

"That's unrealistic Andy."

"Oh baby, I work wonders. You'll see."

Before she could continue to humor me a low chime came from above us. An intercom above the door. "That's dinner."

••••••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.5K 3.8K 51
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းကတစ်ယောက်နှင့်တစ်ယောက်မတည့်တဲ့ကောင်လေးနှစ်ယောက်ကအလှလေးတစ်ယောက်ကိုအပြိုင်အဆိုင်လိုက်ကြရာက မိဘတွေရဲ့အတင်းအကြပ်စီစဉ်ပေးမှုကြောင့်တစ်ယောက်အပေါ...
2.8M 71.6K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...
220K 6.1K 52
what happened when the biggest mafia in the world hid his real identity and married an innocent, sweet girl?
16.5M 641K 63
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...