A Shadowed Birthright

By IssaQueerCynic

Shades... A race of humans born with the ability to use 75% of their brain. Shades are unwillingly taken fr... More

A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter One
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Two
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Four
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Five
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Six
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Seven
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Eight
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Nine {Separo 1}
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Nine {Separo 2}
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Ten
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Eleven
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Twelve
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Thirteen
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Fourteen
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Fifteen
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Sixteen
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Seventeen
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Eighteen
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Nineteen
A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Twenty

A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Three

2.2K 50 16
By IssaQueerCynic

Yo peeps! Sorry for the late update. Writer's block has shown me no mercy and on top of that, I've had college work to do for the summer. Boo, I kno but I've posted chapter three. *woot woot* Anyhoo...college is starting on Friday so hopefully mah updates won't be limited but I'll try and get the next chapter up by next week. So enjoy this one for now!

Btw, should I do a whole chapter sorely on Remy's P.O.V? He's funny and I enjoy writing him and besides you get to see his view on things. Comment below with your suggestions xD

 Dux Alta Canonicus ^^

- Clara's P.O.V -

I exit the steamy bathroom and make my way to the kitchen, feeling refreshed and relaxed. With his eyes closed, Remy leans against the counter and munches on sweets, an open packet in his hand.

He obviously knows I'm here but pretends he doesn't. This guy is too casual for my liking. I could be an enemy for all he knows and he'll still be eating sweets as if nothing is happening.

I open the cabinet nearest to me and take out a glass cup, walking to the sink and filling it with water. I down the contents quickly and leave the cup in the sink before turning to exit the kitchen without a word to my partner.

"Do you know what this special mission will entail?" Remy suddenly asks out of the blue and I pause, turning to him as he opens his ice blue eyes to gaze at me boredly. "Don't you think it's strange that the Dux wants to see us both? Something like this doesn't happen...ever."

I cross my arms over my chest and shrug my shoulders. I do find it strange that the Dux wants to see Remy and I. He never sees a Shade, only an Ember and even that's not frequent. Sometimes, I think that he doesn't want to see Shades. The mission must be really special if he demanded both our presence.

"I don't have a reasonable explanation as to why the Dux wants to see us together," I eventually answer truthfully before blowing hair from my eyes, earning a frown from the Ember. "I may be a Shade but I don't know people's motives. I can only use seventy-five per cent of my brain, remember?"

Remy pops another sweet into his mouth, still frowning. "So, you admit that he has an agenda of some sort." He states, moving the sweet to side of his mouth so that he could talk.

I sigh, turning back to the living room. "If that's what you think." I drawl, walking out of the kitchen and over to my coat on the chair. I pick it up and dig into the inside pocket, bringing out the brown file Ace gave me before walking to the sofa, dropping my coat back on the chair.

I wasn't told before my mission that I needed to collect anything which could mean that the Authorities didn't know what Ace researched or how much he researched. But why would he give this to me if he knew they were after this? There must be a reason why he entrusted me with it.

Ace's life was taken over this file. What did he uncover that made him into a target and more importantly, what's in here? Ace was a cautious man. He would never dabble in something that wasn't science. Science was his life, the very thing he breathed. He would want to know why water reacts with certain elements not what life was like two hundred years ago.

For as long as I've known him, he has never showed any interest in anything other than science. What was so important that made him put his life on the line to uncover it?

Opening the file, I immediately spot a cream envelope with my name written in fancy italic and I place the file on my lap to pick up the envelope, turning it over a few times before opening the envelope.

Clara,

If you're reading this, my life has come to an end. My only hope will be that it'll be by your hands that I die.

You're most likely unaware of why I have been made a target by the Authorities. Truth is, I do not know either but what I do is that I have uncovered a secret. As you're well aware, I do not concern myself with anything for science is the only primary thing in my life. My life has come to this because of the eventful night which I shall recount for you.

It all started the night I had to stay in late to finish off a report on a recent experiment. The aim of this experiment was to unjoin artificial beings from their donors so in case their donors die in battle, half of their abilities won't be taken as well. As the previous months before, we failed again. Our faith in this experiment was quickly dwindling with each failed attempt and it only plummeted when the Authorities were planning on pulling the plug.

To cut a long story short, I had just finished the report and was about to send it off when an earthquake happened. It was a small one but nonetheless it managed to shake the whole building. Acting upon instinct, I grabbed onto my desk to prevent myself from falling over without realizing that I opened a small section of the wall. After the earthquake had passed, I proceeded to organise my desk when the small section I had unconsciously open caught my eye.

Of course, any human will be naturally suspicious and I was no exception to that rule as I made my way over to it. A small book was the only thing in the compartment and it was coated in dusted which told me that it hasn't been looked at in a while. Being a scientist you explore all the possibilities whether they dangerous or not and discovering a hidden book immediately sparked my interest. I took the book out without thinking and opened it.

The first picture was a drawing of a city, an ancient one to be exact. The drawing was so detailed that I would have written a novel if I wrote down what I saw into this letter but all I know is that it would've been a beautiful city to have laid eyes on.

I decide to read the book and after a whole two hours of reading, I uncovered a city called Argentum Maria. It is a lost city that existed well over four centuries years ago. It was said that the city's inhabitants had the ability of magic, granted to them by the silver sea that flowed underground. Their exact ability was never learned but it was rumoured that they could grant a person all their power, should they ever chose to do so. It is also said that the city was lost after the heiress of the throne mysteriously disappeared and so did the ring that the present King wore around his neck at that time. What happened to the heiress was never known and nothing has been discovered for four hundred years about the ring either. The book had no information on the ring at all and because of that I decided to do my own research.

I was unsuccessful, to say the least, on discovering anything about the heiress, not even so much as a picture but I managed to uncover a few details concerning the ring which will be explained to you in the file.

Shortly after discovering this book and doing research, I was suddenly employed to become the head of the SDDG. Upon hearing the news, I was ecstatic for it has always been my dream but then it occurred to me thee question of why was I made the next head of the SDDG? I was a mere scientist that took part in the lesser experiments. And what happened to the previous head of the SDDG?

I put two and two together and came to a conclusion that the Authorities had figured out what I had been doing and so wanted to keep a better eye on me. From then on, I had been expecting my death to come anytime soon and as a precaution hid the book in an unknown place, different from where I first found it. When the time comes you'll know where to look.

Clara, my child, I am deeply sorry for imparting you with such information that may put you at risk but I know that you'll do fine in finishing what I could not complete. Nevertheless, please forgive me. You have grown so much from when I first saw you as a frightened child on your first check-up. My God, time flies, doesn't it?

You must promise to keep what I have enclosed for you a secret. It is imperative that you keep this to yourself and do not allow the Authorities to obtain it for I fear something far worse than my death will transpire.

I love you now and forever more Clara. Please...be safe.

Ace

PS. Make sure you keep your Ember close. I feel he'll be a great asset to you and you may need him more than you think you do now.

I lower the letter down on my lap, my brows pulling together in deep thought. A lost city?

Throughout my training, I was never told about a lost city and we were told about all of our history. Why is the situation over an heiress and a ring so important and why was this city kept hidden from us? I never knew something existed. The magic part doesn't surprise me though. Just look at me, I'm a living proof of the unbelievable and so are many others. It looks like this city was very important if anything relating to them was made a secret.

What I don't get is why the Authorities killed off Ace for doing something as harmless as researching. The people I kill are into drugs, gangs and all that jazz, but Ace only did research into something that he suddenly discovered. If that was me, I would've done the same thing. Anyone would've done what he did. Humans are naturally curious creatures and finding something in a wall is definitely going to interest them.

It just makes me think though. Are the Authorities keeping something from us that they don't want to be uncovered? An heiress and a ring went missing without a trace? That sounds like something that'll be taught in school. Do the Authorities know what happened to the heiress and ring that they'll do anything to keep it a secret? I guess what happened four centuries ago was dangerous and their keeping it a secret was to ensure that history won't repeat itself. Yeah, that's what they're doing. Right?

Glancing down at the file, a sudden uneasiness fills the pit of my stomach but I immediately squash it down, glancing at Remy in the kitchen from the corner of my eye. Why would Ace say I might need him?

I put the letter down next to me before picking up the brown file and opening it. There's only half a page of writing and I furrow my brows, lifting the paper before letting it drop back down.

Is this all he was able to acquire? I think in confusion as my eyes settle on the first sentence.

The Ring of Enlightenment, also known as Anulum Illustrationis, was forged from the silver sea that flowed under the city which was founded by the first King of Argentum Maria whose name is unknown. This same King became known as the first wearer of Anulum Illustrationis. The ring is able to grant full control of the sea and its power to whomever wears it. Despite the founder being able to wear it, his successors never wore it but rather kept it on a rope or wore it as a bangle. The real reason for this is unknown but only royals wore it.

I lower the file onto my lap as my mind swirls with what I just read. OK. The ring sounds substantially paramount and the fact it can give its wearer full control of a magical power makes it interesting to know about.

That is something new. I've never heard of an object granting such power which I don't know the extent of. I'll admit, I'm a little curious to what kind of power this sea possess but knowing that it gave magical powers to people who lived above it makes me think that it's very powerful.

I just wonder why the first King's successors couldn't wear it. If he was able to wear it then it'll make sense they wear it. They are his bloodline, after all.

A thought clicks in my head and I quickly lift the paper up again. My eyebrows furrow and I pick up the letter, turning it over how many times. That's weird, there's no picture of this ring.

Speaking of picture, there's not even a description present. Such a ring would've naturally had a picture of it for evidence and other things. I'm guessing the ring was so precious that a paper of how it looked like was unheard of. But how did something of great importance go missing like that, along with the heiress?

Did she steal it and run away to a place she could never be found? Or was she kidnapped and she coincidently had it with her?

I roll my eyes at the last thought. She couldn't have had it if the ruler was the only one who wore it and judging by where on the ruler it was worn, it didn't come off at all. I blow air out of my nose. It'll be weird if they even bathed with it.

I release my hold on the file, letting it drop to the floor just as Remy makes a swipe for it from over my head.

"Dammit," he grumbles and I glance at him discreetly jumping over the back of the sofa and landing heavily next to me. "You knew I was behind you."

I pick up the letter swiftly before bending to pick up the file and standing up just as Remy rests his arm on the back of the couch where I previously sat.

"Hey, I just got comfortable and you're already moving." He whines as I walk to the window. I can tell he's pouting and I roll my eyes. The guy just loves to flirt with me with all the damn time. It's starting to irritate me.

"And what do you getting comfortable have to do with me?" I inquire, opening the window by Remy's laptop. Ace said I should keep this to myself. Keeping this letter will make it easier for other people to know.

I turn to Remy as his face lifts in a smug smirk. "I get to cuddle you." He answers, stifling a laugh as he drinks his beer and I sigh, choosing to ignore the flirtatious Ember and concentrate on my task. I lift the file and letter up to my field of vision, staring at it.

"What's that you're holding?" I stare at the letter on top, more specially the name of my deceased friend. I've heard that losing a close friend is one of the most painful occurrences a heart endures.

It's funny because...I didn't feel anything. There are good memories of us while I was still in the Father Facility but I don't exactly miss them. I remember them but that's far from actually missing them.

"Information." I answer Remy nonchalantly as I hold the file and the letter outside the window.

"Oh? What kind of information?" Remy asks again and I glance at him from the corner of my eye before averting my attention back at the contents in my hand.

"You don't need to know that." I answer, setting the pieces of paper on fire. The flames grow and blacken the paper as it curls in on itself, the ashes floating into the sky as small red splints. The remaining part of the paper turns black before floating into the sky and burning into nothingness.

I lower my hand and stare at the sky for a moment before sighing and shutting the window. Well, I'm now the only one that knows now, I think, turning back to Remy as he stares at me with an arched brow and his arms crossed, his beer can held between his thighs.

"What?" I question harmlessly, folding my arms over my chest. The Ember tilts his head, allowing some of his hair to fall into his eyes.

"What was the purpose of you burning that file?" he questions, his eyes briefly flashing to the window and I sigh, uncrossing my arms and sitting down on the desk chair.

"I told you, you don't need to know." I reply nonchalantly, crossing my legs.

Remy leans his elbows on his knees, narrowing his eyes playfully and smirking slightly. "Really?" he asks sarcastically, arching a brow. "Why is that?"

I gaze at him before rolling my eyes. "Because it doesn't concern you." I state, looking away. So persistent...

I hear Remy sigh and I turn back to him, as he leans back into the sofa, undoing his braid and running a hand through his shabby, brown hair.

My eyes flicker to the clock when I sigh again and push myself off the chair to go and get myself ready for the meeting with the Dux.

"Remy, get ready," I order, opening my door. "The meeting with the Dux is in an hour." I close my door not before hearing Remy mumble something along the lines of 'yeah'.

I proceed to put on my standard attire of a dark blue short sleeved top worn with black braces and my shoulder holster. Black pants, black combat boots and black fingerless gloves. I slip my cutlass into the holster and put on my black leather jacket before exiting the room into the empty sitting room.

I glance at the clock to see its ten forty-five, meaning we have forty-five minutes to get to the Tenebris Hall. Remy better hurry up if he doesn't want his balls on a skewer.

Right on cue, the Ember comes out dressed exactly the same when I first met him, the only difference is the frown on his usual smirking face. I'm actually relieved that I don't have to see his signature smirk otherwise I would've skinned it off.

"Why the long face?" I wonder as we leave to hotel room and his frown deepens, his eyes taking on a faraway look and making me arch a brow.

What's eating him? I wonder, turning back to the front.

We enter the elevator and he still hasn't answered me. I wonder if he heard me or not. "I said why the long face?" I ask again, and this time Remy snaps back into reality, gazing at me in confusion.

"Sorry, did you say something?" I roll my eyes as the elevator dings on the ground floor, the doors sliding open and allowing us to walk out.

As I walk out onto the elegant hallway coloured in a theme of red and cream, I dig into my pockets, taking out car keys and chucking them to Remy.

"You're driving." I supply for him when he sends me a questionable look. His eyes light up like Vegas and if my eyes didn't deceive me, I swear I see him literally speed walk out of the hotel.

Boys and their toys...

⊙■⊙■⊙■⊙■⊙■⊙■⊙■

"We're here." Remy says as he turns off the ignition of the black Cadillac Escalade.

One of the advantageous traits of being a Shade or an Ember is the technology we get. I may hate material things but I'm a sucker for the cars and motorbikes. Nothing beats the thrill of riding something so fast you feel like you moving at lightning speed itself or the smell of the interior of a new car.

I hop out of the car, instantly coming interview of the Tenebris Hall, staring in awe at the impressiveness of it. One of the main landmarks of Gurges, the Tenebris is one of the immediate places to visit for the fifty thousand tourists we get each year.

Normally it has people flocking in and around it but today, it's been sectioned off. Mainly due to the meeting Remy and I will be having with the Dux.

"Let's get this meeting over with." Remy grumbles, stuffing his hands into his coat pockets and trudging up the stairs. I arch a brow at his back but follow after him.

After we walk up the stairs and into the building, two guards immediately stand at attention in front of the door.

"Are you the Shade Clara de Alba Mara and Ember Factorem Elyota?" one of the guards questions us gruffly and we both nod.

The guard narrows his eyes but turns with hmph and jerks his head for us to follow him. I roll my eyes but remain silent.

By his demeanour earlier, I say he's one of the people that dislike our kind. Some people hate us because of what we are. The whole world may not know of us but a percentage of the people that do know about us hate our guts.

I've never understood why they hate us but it doesn't bother me. Even though they hate both Shade and Ember alike, they seem to hold Shades with so much contempt. We are often the subject of bully by those brave enough to do it. The others may hate us but they're too scared to do anything to us in case we go bat shít crazy and unleash our powers at once. Instances like that have happened before and had probably scarred many people...

As we walk, I turn to a bored looking Remy though his face sports a slight frown. "Elyota?" I question, referring to his surname. We've been partners for a couple months now and now that I think about it I've never known his family name. It's not like I wanted to know, it's just a little bit weird hearing it for the first time.

Remy shrugs and turns to me, with a smirk. "De Alba Mara?" he retorts playfully, arching a brow and I bite back an insult, settling with simply ignoring him by turning back to the front.

"Can't you ever be normal for once?" I inquire curiously, facing the guard's back as we walk deeper into the hall.

"If you mean stoic and emotionless like you, then nah. I'm fine with the way I am." He answers nonchalantly but I can hear the hint of humour behind it. I lower my eyes downwards. The Disciplinarians made me like this. It's not so bad to be detached from everything.

"Being emotionless makes things easier to deal with things and that way nothing hurts you." I say after a moment of silence, glancing at Remy from the corner of my eye. The Ember turns to me and tilts his head a little.

"I think being an emotionless shell has the opposite effect of what you think it helps with," he responds lightly as he shrugs his shoulder. "I believe showing emotion is easier and helps you release some of that frustration, anger or sadness you might feel-"

"Keep quiet back there!" the guard interjects roughly, directing his scowl to us from over his shoulder. Remy and I arch brow, with the Ember soon smirking afterwards. Anyone can tell what he's going to do from that mischievous gleam in his eyes.

"Why should we? Is my voice that beautiful that your ears I can't stand listening to it anymore?" he questions teasingly, closing his eyes and holding a hand up, palm facing the ceiling. "Well, I don't blame you. I do have the effect of lulling anyone within my vicinity should they hear my voice. I've often been referred to as Venus' son, Cupid in the past life. You know Venus, right? The goddess of love?"

The guard glares at the smug look on Remy's face and I lift my chin nonchalantly to hide my smirk.

"Just keep your mouths quiet or I'll do something that'll land me in trouble." The guard spits before turning his face away. Remy's smirk widen just as I glance at them from the corner of my eye.

"Trouble as in you making out with me kind of trouble?"

The guard whirls around and points his automatic directly in Remy's face, his face contorted in a look of irritation and anger. Remy is unfazed by the fact that's he's being held at point blank range as he comes to a stop just before the weapon, his smirking turning into a sneaky grin while I stand there simply, watching with my arms crossed and my lips in a small smirk.

"Ember, if you value your life I suggest you keep your smart ass mouth shut." The guard hisses venomously, tightening his hold on the automatic while Remy shrugs uncaringly, fuelling the guard's anger.

"I wasn't being smart – I was merely stating the obvious." He says, withdrawing his other hand from his pocket and crossing his arms over his chest.

The guard curls his index finger over the trigger. "And what's the obvious exactly?"

Amusement glimmers in the Ember's eyes before he gives the guard a closed eye smile. "That you simply can't resist me."

An explosion sounds as the guard pulls the trigger all the way back. Remy leans his head to the side, the bullet narrowly missing his neck and quickly grabs the guard's arm, bending it backwards. The guard freezes as the nozzle is pointed under his chin, gritting his teeth and glaring at Remy who keeps his other hand holding the trigger.

I arch a brow in mild surprise at Remy's speed. Well, at least he has skill to back up that smart mouth of his.

"If you want to kill an Ember, then you have to be quick about it." Remy advises lowly, his smirk never leaving his face. The guard clenches his jaw harder, not backing down but the nozzle kissing his flesh forces him to give up.

Remy nods before releasing the guard, stepping back to give the now angry man space to right himself. "Besides, a 5.56 mm NATO isn't the weapon you'd use to kill an Ember. You should know better, my friend."

The guard glares venomously before turning on his heel and stalking off, content to just leave us to find the room ourselves.

Turning my head, I gaze at Remy nonchalantly, arching a brow. He shrugs. Rolling my eyes as I shake my head, I lead the way towards the pissed off guard.

"Was there a reason why had to aggravate him?" I question after a few moments of silence and Remy shrugs, flashing me a smirk.

"There was no reason," he answers boredly, pocketing his hands. "I just wanted to tease someone. It was funny since he already hates our guts."

In two minutes, we enter a large room with nothing in it apart from the numerous steps leading up to a large stage. A grand chair is situated in the middle of the stage with someone already sitting on it. Large columns that support the building surround the outskirts of the hall.

Standing on the left side of the chair is a woman with a folder in her hand. She looks around her late twenties to early thirties.

"Dux Alta," the guard addresses, thumping the flesh over his heart with his fist and bowing his head slightly. "I have brought the Shade and Ember as you requested."

The Dux stands from his seat without a word and strolls down the steps in a cool and controlled gait, his assistant following him. My eyes trail him as he walks down the steps.

He wears a light blue shirt that has the first few button open, showing a little bit of his chest hair, dark blue suit pants and black dress shoes. His black hair is tied loosely over his shoulder and his blue eyes gazes at us calmly.

I can't help but notice that his eyes are the same as Remy's, if not darker.

Speaking of Remy, I turn to him to see his smirk from earlier has dropped and is replaced with a frown, his eyes set with animosity.

"Welcome, Clara de Alba Mara," I tear my eyes away from Remy and focus on the Dux who has a small smile as he gazes at me, his blue eyes hooded. I bow my head slightly, raising my head back up as he turns to Remy, his eyes flashing with something. "Factorem Elyota."

Remy's growl is barely heard from beside me, causing me to narrow my eyes slightly. I won't ask him what that was about seeing as it's none of my business and I'm not going to involve myself.

"Dux Alta," I begin, gaining the older man's attention. I'll say he's in his mid-forties. "What is this meeting about? You never request to see Shade or better yet both of us."

The Dux nods knowingly, stealing a quick glimpse at Remy, before focusing his attention back on me. "Yes, I know but it's because of you two especially I am willing to forget tradition today," He replies, folding his arms behind his back. "Your work performance has recently captivated my attention and I am even more impressed by how quickly and stealthily you complete your missions. There hasn't been a Shade who does it as flawlessly as you do. Well done, Clara."

I bow my head humbly at the Dux's praise. "Thank you." I say, raising my head and capturing the assistance's eye. She gazes at me snobbishly before wrinkling her nose in disgust and I internally roll my eyes.

The Dux smiles kindly before turning to Remy. "Including you, Factorem," He says, walking past me to stop in front of my partner. "I am also pleased with your performance. How a Shade completes a mission quickly and properly depends on their Ember giving them the correct information and you do that effortlessly, maybe even better."

Remy snorts loudly, clearly disinterested in the Dux's praise. "Whatever." He drawls uncaringly, turning his head away rudely. The bravery of this guy...

"Watch how you talk to the Dux, Ember!" The guard that escorted us reproaches, stepping forward threateningly. "You show the Dux absolute respect!"

Remy shrugs him off, making him growl deeply in irritation. He opens his mouth to respond but the Dux holds his hand up.

"It's alright, Americus," he assures calmly, causing the guard to turn to him in shock.

"But sir-"

"I am sure he just has other things on his mind," the Dux adds for the guard's shocked look, glancing at him. The guard grits his teeth and begrudgingly steps back, not before sending Remy another glare.

"Now, then, shall we talk about the special mission you both are required to do?" The Dux asks softly and I nod my head. He turns to Remy for his answer who shrugs again before turning around and heading to his grand chair, his assistant following him like a lost puppy.

I follow after them, when Remy sighs and follows a few steps behind me. The Dux seems like a nice man considering this is the first time I'm seeing him. I've often hear that he's a lenient man and sometimes slacks off from his work. I've even heard that he likes to joke around.

From my impression, he looks like the type that's not affected by many things if that bored look of his is anything to go by.

"I'm sure you've heard of Adrien de Forda, am I correct?" The Dux asks when he sits down, leaning his elbow on the arm rest and resting his head on his balled fist.

"Adrien de Forda? You mean the most notorious bachelor in all of Gurges?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

Just for the record, Adrien de Forda is a stupidly wealthy guy slash heartbreaker. He is known to have a girl for every hour of the day. Literally. And on top of that, he owns the most famous clothing line: Mercury. Last year, he was ranked as one of the top ten sexiest men alive, ranking at number three. I've seen photos of him and personally, he isn't that good looking as people portray him to be.

The Dux nods before chuckling. "The arrogant show-off is having a party tomorrow night to celebrate the opening of a new store," he informs us, rolling his eyes. "Which in all out honesty is just to show off his almost unlimited wealth and the pointless brick and marble foundation he calls a mansion." He holds out his free hand to his assistant and she promptly hands him a blue folder.

The Dux raises his head off his hand to open the folder. "He's also a collectable man, collecting items worth billions of lammina although he prefers shoes more than anything."

I arch a brow at the Dux and he shakes his head with a confused look of his own. "Don't bother asking, I don't understand that bit myself."

I shrug my shoulders before peering over Remy who's frowning at Dux Alta and I look back at the Dux to see if he's noticed the frown directed at him. If he does, he sure doesn't show it as he casually turns the page.

"Carrying on," he continues lightly. "He has specific item in his possession that actually belongs to the Authorities." He hands me the folder and I take it, glancing down at a picture of an old slab that looks like it's been broken off.

"That slab is part of a whole piece that was broken and separated thousands of years ago. Thanks to modern technology we were able to discern that it was exactly five centuries years ago."

"Shouldn't it have rotten away by now?" I inquire, passing the picture to Remy. "Five centuries is an awfully long time for something like that to survive."

The Dux nods, resting his head back on his balled fist. "It was wrapped in a cloth soaked in salt water when it was found. It's one of the ancient and best ways of preservation."

I nod, stuffing my hands in my jacket pockets. "So, we have to steal this thing during his party?" Remy questions curtly and the Dux flicks his eyes over to him.

"Yes," he answers slowly, smirking slyly. "But it's not your usual stealing mission," Both Remy and I glance at the Dux curiously to which he closes his eyes.

He reopens them and they glint with some hidden agenda. "In order for you to steal the artefact you have to...blend in."

I tilt my head slightly. "Blend in?" I question, causing the man before me to chuckle.

"You have to be actual guests to the party in order to get anywhere near the artefact."

My shoulder slumps as Remy groans beside me. That means dressing up and wearing make-up and heels, things I absolutely despise. I may be a woman but I'm not actually a woman. I prefer boots and pants not a dress and heels. Man, this is going to be troublesome.

"Damn, that means a stuffy suit and ugly shoes." Remy grumbles, throwing his head back and sighing heavily.

"Unfortunately, yes." I mumble, the sudden urge to break my legs so that I don't have to do this mission becoming evident. I would give up anything to not do this mission...

The Dux smirks at our disgruntlement before standing up from his chair, folding his hand behind his back. "It's to make your mission easier." He enlightens us, causing Remy to snort.

"I'd rather break a window or two than to wear a stuffy suit." he divulges, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms.

The Dux smirks at Remy and shrugs his shoulder. "Before the event, I'll send some people over that'll dress you up for it. I want my agents to look their absolute best."

Remy groans one more time and I roll my eyes. What a way to make it worse.

"You're dismissed."

I nod and turn to leave just as Remy sends one more glare at the Dux. I better get as much rest as possible before this long and tedious mission.

- Third Person's P.O.V -

As the door closes to the main hall where the meeting was held, Alta Canonicus, turns to walk behind the chair to the stairs leading to a door at the bottom.

"Dux Alta," the assistant addresses, turning to the older man's figure descending the stairs. "Is it wise to send her for the slab?"

Alta pauses for a moment at the question before continuing his descent. "In order to retrieve something, send someone who has direct contact with that something." he says wisely after opening the door to another room. He steps into the room and the closes the door after himself.

The assistant smirks to herself before turning to where Clara and Remy exited moments earlier, her smirking widening and her eyes glinting evilly.

"You're heritage will be your downfall...Shade." 

Jus in case any of youse are confused with the names, here's the names with their meanings. I'll be including this throughout the story of any new names XD

Anulum Illustrationis – Ring of Enlightenment

Alta - High

Canonicus - Lawful

Clara - Bright

Factorem - Maker

Elyota - Elliot

De Alba Mara - Albemarle

Ace - One Unit

Americus - Industrious Leader

Argentum Maria - Silver Seas

Aurea - Golden

Dux - Sir

Adrien - From Hadria which is the alternate name for the Etruscan city in the Veneto region in Nothern Italy called Adria

De Forda - Ford

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61K 10.5K 127
ခေါင်းစဉ် 《替身》လူစားထိုး 作者:北棠墨 မူရင်းရေးသားသူ -ပေထန်မော့ ဘာသာပြန် May Tulips Love   အခုခေတ်နောက်ခံ 1 V 1 , HE Zawgyi နဲ့က နောက်တအုပ်ရေးထားပေးတ...
43.5K 1.3K 17
As Y/N, you work with the equipment in Task Force 141. You handle the Walkie Talkies, you try out the new guns to see if they are manageable, you cre...
180K 4.1K 29
𝐎𝐫𝐩𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐭 𝐚 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐠𝐞, 𝐘/𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐦 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫...
248K 10.1K 25
"မောင် မဆိုးစမ်းနဲ့ကွယ်" "ကျုပ်ကိုမချုပ်ခြယ်နဲ့"