ROMANOGERS: PAST TO PRESENT

By Demigod4_life

After the war with Ultron there was a few simple months of peace. That is until a mission stirs up some stran... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
NOTIFICATION
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
FUDGING IMPORTANT!!!!
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Important A/N
Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One: Alternate Ending for Civil War
Bonus; Chapter Fifty Two: Spider Boy
Bonus; Art for me please!
Bonus; Chapter Fifty Three: King Chilli
Important
BOOK TWO IS HERE!

Chapter Forty One

928 42 15
By Demigod4_life

Steve's POV

I had woken for a brief moment. Just long enough to see that I was outside, Natasha was in front of me crouched behind my shield. I reached out to her trying to ask her what had happened when I saw the sky erupt in flames. In a split second I realized the reactor had finally exploded. Wrapping my arm around her waist I tried to position myself behind her and the shield. Everything went black afterwards. Now I was clueless as to what was happening. Everything was a pitch black pit. I could hear nothing, feel nothing, see nothing, smell nothing. My senses had abandoned me. The inky black swirled around me and from it figures began to emerge, pulling themselves from the black pool. They took shape and color flooded the darkness revealing what had been hidden.

I was watching a building burn. Orange flames licked the ceiling and roared in the air. At first that was all I saw but soon a young male figure tore into the room I was watching. He had brilliant strawberry blonde hair but that was all I could tell. He was using a rag to help block out the smoke that was seeping into the room. Studying the room I saw a dresser, a simple closet, a tiny bookcase, and a bed. Inside the bed was a small girl maybe three or four. Her hair was also a brilliant red. Her eyes were wide and terrified as the ceiling up above creaked. The man shouted something in Russian but somehow I understood what he was saying.

"Natalia! Come here!" Shock swept through me. I watched as a young Natasha leapt off her bed and sprinted into her Dad's arms. She clutched his shoulder as he exited the room searching frantically for something. I followed them.

"Papa! What happened?" Little Natasha cried fear sparking in her chest. The man took the rag from his nose and mouth to wipe away Natasha's tears.

"The Germans are here. The city is in danger, we must hurry. No more crying alright? Now let's find Mommy." Natasha squealed in fear at the word Germans, but she nodded and hurriedly wiped away her tears. Natasha's father passed her into his other hand as he dodged a tongue of fire. The flames were closing in and from behind a loud crack echoed. The man spun around and his eyes grew wide at the sight of Natasha's room now a pile of rubble.

"Papa!" Natasha yelled pointing at a creaking beam. He began a hurried pace again kicking down the door to another room. Inside was a woman who to my surprise looked much like Natasha now a days. She had dressed hastily and in the small bag she held she had begun cramming small but dear possessions.

"We must go! The house is crumbling!" Natasha's father called. The woman nodded tucking the small bag in the fold of her clothes. Natasha's father rested her on the ground in front of him while he and his wife followed behind.

"Follow my directions Natalia!" He ordered. Turning the group dodged rubble and hungry fire. Natasha listened to her father's words but I watched horrified as the ceiling began to bow. At last Natasha reached the door. Throwing it open she rushed outside and turned to look for her parents but she didn't see them. The ceiling broke and the house tumbled inwards. Smoke and fire were thrown into the air creating a small plume. Natasha choked covering her eyes and waited for the smoke to clear. When it did she realized her parents were still missing. Panic sparked inside of her and she ran to the dying coals of the house screaming.

"Daddy! Mommy!" Tears poured down her cheeks. As she searched the rubble. Her shoes were no match for the best and her feet began to burn but it was hardly noticed. Up ahead lay her father and mother. Shock rocked me yet again and I realized it mirrored Natasha's expression. Somehow I was feeling everything she was. I was experiencing it all. She scrambled over to them tripping and seating a hand as she tried to catch her fall. Whimpering she pressed on. Finally she arrived at their sides. Her father was draped over her mother, his clothes riddled with holes. Her mother's face was turned up at the sky her eyes glazed. In her hand was the small bag of items as if she had pulled it out in her last moments. This terrible aching feeling filled me and it was so painful that I couldn't even describe it. Desperate Natasha snatched up the bag and turned to see her settlement ablaze.

Springing to her feet she ran into the street trying to avoid other people as they panicked and rushed by. Soldiers were lining the streets some familiar others not. Closing her eyes she ran. Slamming hard into something she opened them and to her horror a non Soviet soldier was looking over her. Grasping the bag she scrambled backwards as the soldier !ade a lunge at her. He spoke in an unfamiliar language. Something clamped onto her arm and she lashed out trying to get away. There was a loud bang and from her peripheral she could see the other soldier fall. Glancing at the person who held her she recognized his insignia. The man picked her up and ran much like Natasha's father had.

The images faded yet again into that terrible blackness. How was this happening? How was I seeing all of this and how was I feeling it? All to soon a new seen emerged from the dark.

"My name is Ivan." The man who had rescued Natasha from the soldier sat across from her. She was huddled up in a blanket, a cup of steaming liquid in her hands. She didn't answer but stared blankly at the floor. I could feel the emptiness that surrounded her. "I am a retired Soviet soldier."

"Then why were you in uniform?" Quipped Natasha. Even at a young age she had her quick wit.

"Because when I say I retired I mean I retired that night. I didn't have time to change!" The man laughed. His hair was beating and he looked at Natasha fondly. This comment brought a small smile to Natasha's face. "Tell me. We've been together now for two days, have you thought about my offer?"

Natasha pursed her lips and I could practically see the wheels turning in her head. She glanced back at Ivan who had a lopsided grin on his face. He Stuck his tongue out at her and she laughed, setting her cup down on the coffee table. "If it's because I tell bad jokes and eat toast every morning that is the reason you say no, I promise I can change!"

"No Ivan! Don't change. That's not why. I just...I miss them." Ivan's smile disappeared and use placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"You do not have to give me a definite answer. You can stay here as long as you like, yes? I do not have to be your permanent guardian, but know that out there is a scary place." He pointed his thumb towards the door that rested behind them.

"Thank you." Natasha mumbled and getting to her feet she pressed a kiss to his cheek before scurrying off.

Another series of images much shorter swirled around my head. The first was this;

A slightly older Natasha maybe six, walking the streets with I Ivan while he held her hand. The two of them paused before sitting on a bench in the park. A sense of familiarity comforted me. "Now Natalia I wonder what people we will see today?"

"Miss Havish will come soon with her dog Whiskers. Then Mr. Skova will follow a little later with his Sunday best clothes on." Natasha noted absent mindedly and kicked her feet. Ivan studied her with a look of admiration.

"Well we are people watching today Natalia, aside from the usual park visitors, what do you think we'll see?" Natasha shrugged but turned her attention to the park. Her eyes squinted as a young boy skipped across the way. After a moment or two Ivan leaned in and whispered of her. "Tell me what you think of him, yes?"

I noticed Ivan had a way of placing his sentences as questions. He made a point of giving Natasha a choice on how she wanted to answer. He hardly ever demanded a yes or no response. Excitement bubbled in me and was expressed on Natasha's face by her smiled and raised eyebrows. "Well He slouches meaning he either is part of the working district or is a lower class member. But from the looks of his hands, the long fingers, and swollen wrists, he's a working member. Though there isn't a technical division between economical and social classes there's sort of an invisible separation. His jacket suggests that he doesn't regard anything with much importance considering how many times it's been patched up. His hair is brown and his eyes are blue, but his jaw suggests he's not just Russian."

"Very good. You are very wise for your age."

The next scene was of an eight year old Natasha.

She held a picture in her hand and the bag she had taken from the fire was resting on the mattress next to her. Natasha's hair was much longer now and her cheeks weren't as full. Her lips had taken on a new shape and her eyes sparkled more. She was maturing. A knock on the door startled her as well as me. Ivan entered glancing at her and then the picture.

"That really is a lovely picture. Would you mind if I borrowed it for the time being?" Ivan winked and Natasha not questioning his motives handed it to him. From the looks of things he had asked about looking at the other items from her past. Natasha stood smoothing the simple navy dress she wore. It was strange to see her wear one so willingly, but it complemented her hair and eyes.

"Ivan. I saw the letter on the table." Bitterness coursed through her veins and dripped from her words. Ivan sighed pressing his lips into a thin line. "I thought you retired! They're going to redeploy you!"

"Not permanently no. I'll still be able to come home each night. It's only for the time being, yes?" He assured. My heart was heavy and I looked on. Natasha turned her back on him to hide her watering eyes

"I hate those stupid Americans and Germans. Everyone's afraid now. That the Germans will come back, and that we now have to be afraid of the Americans even if they don't know it yet!" She growled angrily.

"Natalia!" Ivan chastised. "The Americans helped us and people have a right to still fear the Germans! We've only been at peace for a few simple days!"

"You got my picture Ivan now I want to be left alone." Ivan looked like he wanted to say more. Turning on his heel he left Natasha and the sound of the door closing allowed a flood of tears to stream down her face. I understood her pain. She was afraid she was going to lose someone else she cared about.

Natasha was eight still but I assumed she was closer to nine years now.

She was running through the streets a police officer running after her and shouting. She smirked at him over her shoulder that same smirk she often flashed me, and slipped into a side ally. It came to a dead end and expertly she scaled the wall like she had done this before. Maybe she had. I felt completely relaxed about the situation meaning she did too. Slung over her shoulder was a large sack full of what looked like produce. Turning she jumped up and climbed onto the roof of a building and began running across its tiles.

With a laugh and the wind whipping her hair she leapt the gap and landed on another roof. She was agile and muscles bulged under her small arms. Eventually she paused resting for a moment before opening the bag. Inside were two water melons, three apples, a loaf of bread, and a round of cheese. Smiling she walked to the edge of the roof and leapt off the side. Turning in mid air she caught hold of a window sill. Knocking on the glass it soon slid open and she clambered inside. Waiting for her were a bunch of young kids. It seemed to be an orphanage. All of them were skinny and sick looking. Natasha beamed at them holding up the bag of goods. A twinge of sympathy tugged at my heart. I knew why. They were orphans just like Natasha.

She pulled out the loaf of bread and directed the kids into a line. She divided it amongst them then moved on to the cheese, then the apples, and as a "treat" the watermelon which she carved with a knife in her waist band. With a wave good bye she slipped out the window and scrambled across the roofs until she reached a familiar house. Slipping inside she rested the bag on the table. Ivan stood waiting with a frown on his face.

"What did you take this time?" He asked not at all his usual friendly self. Natasha shrugged as if it didn't matter.

"A loaf of bread, some cheese, three apples, and two watermelons. Oh! I brought one home for you! I know it's your favorite." She smiled running over to the bag. Ivan sighed shaking his head but he didn't look as angry.

"Natalia this is stealing." Natasha shrugged.

"What am I supposed to do in my free time? Besides those kids are hungry Ivan if I didn't have you I'd be just like them." Natasha emptied the sack and tucked it away in a cupboard. "Besides I've done worse."

"I know all about you taking from the upper class neighborhoods Natalia. Breaking and entering, then taking and distributing the items to the needy. I know." Ivan sighed pinching the bridge of his nose. "How you haven't been caught yet I do not know. Please stop. I know this is because I'm not here as often. I know you're angry but this is dangerous. It doesn't make you a hero it makes you a vigilante."

"I know Ivan. I just can't help it. I feel like I have to do something. People are hungry and angry. They pretend not to be because it'll get them in trouble, and the government pretends not to notice, but I know better. And you've always told me to help people." Natasha sounded sad.

"Just be careful." Natasha nodded and slipped away yet again.

Next was a nine year old Natasha sitting in the living room with Ivan.

A woman was sitting across from them. I recognized her instantly. Take away the wrinkles and frail form and it was clear that the woman was the Overseer.

"Now, I understand you don't like this a lot Natalia. But if this helps keep you out of trouble I'll take it. A ballet program will suit you since you are already flexible and agile, yes?" Ivan reasoned. Natasha narrowed her eyes at the woman. Her observation skills were kicking in. The woman seemed to notice and cleared her throat.

"Ivan sir, if you wouldn't mind may I take a moment to discuss this without your presence? Unless you wish to stay." Ivan shook his head happily obliging to leave the room. Natasha furrowed her eyebrows and leaned forward her face twisted in a skeptical look. She felt doubt just like I did. The Overseer stood up admiring Natasha. "Tell me, what do you think of me? Don't be afraid to hold back."

Natasha smirked. "I can tell you're a liar. You aren't a ballet teacher at all. You're to tall and lanky. Your build doesn't fit that of a dancer. The way you stand and walk isn't a way most dancers would walk. They walk more on the balls of their feet and toes. You walk flat footed like you're trying to be quiet. You're movements are fluid like a dancers but to calculated."

"My, anything else?" The Overseer asked raising an eyebrow. Natasha was on a roll and stood up staring the Overseer in the eyes.

"Yes. You wear baggy clothing to conceal your agility. You carry yourself like a proper lady but it isn't your natural posture. Normally you lean forward slightly because you expect something to happen. You are also very wary. Your eyes never stay in one place to long." The Overseer laughed in delight and a confused expression replaced Natasha's confident one.

"Very good. Tell me how did you learn to do that?" Natasha rolled her eyes

"Ivan takes me people watching. We play a game and try to guess what people are like. He says observation is one of man's most powerful tools." Natasha spoke with finality like the discussion was over.

"He is wise. Now I suppose trying to lie to you won't do much good. I've come for different reasons Natalia. I've watched you for a long time. Your work is worthy. Stealing money and food. All without being noticed is a remarkable feat especially for a nine year old. Your agility is beyond most and your ability to think on your feet suggests you are naturally talented and quick witted. I could use someone like you. You have seen that the way things are now aren't very good for our people. Even as young as you are you can see the people are angry. It's our job to fix that and to keep our country from falling apart. I'm the headmaster, or Overseer, of a a project called The Black Widow Program. It's a new program that's recruiting young girls. Their job is to be trained to perform amazing tasks. From large heists, to assassination of Soviet threats." Natasha interrupted.

"Why are you telling me this? Why would I care?" She asked.

"Because I know you. You have a thirst for adventure. You want to help make this place better. You can do that. We can help you, I can help you. You can help make this nation great again. But most importantly you can keep people like Hitler from rising. You can avenge your parents' deaths. All by joining this program. It's an opportunity to help carve a new world. This is a pathetic place to live. You're to intelligent to be kept away here. Your abilities can be honed so that your enemies will fear you. You won't have to steal anymore, or fight on the streets, you can come with me. You have seen the suffering of your people. How hungry they are, how angry they are. It won't be long until it blows up in our faces. From disease outbreaks, to the new information that there rich are stealing from the poor. You can make those rich thieves give back what they took if you wanted to." The Overseer reasoned and something shifted in me. A chord had been struck in Natasha I could see it in her eyes.

"I could get rid of the bad guys?" She asked. The Overseer nodded. " I can help others, I can keep them from being orphans?"

"Yes. You can help everyone you want." The Overseer stated.

" Bad men will fear me? They won't hurt me? I can make them disappear? I can help make this nation the biggest? We won't be afraid and hide? People won't be angry and hungry?" Natasha asked almost interrogating the Overseer.

"You understand the possibilities better than most. You could fight in wars and help end them." The Overseer added.

"Like the American's Captain America?" The Overseer chuckled.

"Yes. But you won't hide behind a shield. You won't have to make patriotic quotes. None of that fake material. No you will be a household name. You could be greater than him." Natasha's eyes sparkled in wonder but she kept up the tough act.

"And if I say no? You've given me all of this information on the off chance I'll say yes? What if I don't? What if I spill information if this is so secret?" The Overseer smirked.

"You ask good questions. The thing is I don't know." Natasha paused having been caught off guard by this. "So what's it going to be?"

A long pause passed between them and Natasha's brow furrowed in thought. She raised her gaze to meet the Overseer's. " You say I can help people. How?"

"We will use you like I said, for heists (On the rich people of course), dealing with our enemies ( People like the Germans), you can help defeat criminals (The worst of the worst), and of course any other task I need you for." The Overseer replied smoothly.

"How will pulling large heists on the rich help?" Natahsa asked for the first time feeling real doubt about the deal. "Won't they be angry?"

"Yes, but think of it this way. The majority of the population is poor. If we help them they're no longer angry, meaning most of it will blow over."

"Is it legal?" Natasha asked.

"What you do isn't legal." The Overseer pointed out. "But to answer your question our operation is secret. We're like secret guardians. The silent protectors. While only a small portion of the government know as we exist, our purpose is to make sure Russia stays great. No matter what the cost."

Natasha turned this over in her head before nodding. "I'll do it."

"Why?" The Overseer asked genuinely curious.

"Because Russia and it's people have been dealt a harsh hand. I think it needs to be corrected." Natasha's eyes glinted mischievously

"Well then we'll have to tell Ivan." The Overseer smirked as Natasha ran off to collect the silly old man. Soon she was dragging him in from outside. "Sir, she's agreed to come but first I'll have to have her perform a physical over the next two days to study her agility and other abilities."

"Of course." Ivan agreed smiling at Natasha clearly pleased. "When do you start?"

"Tomorrow." The Overseer smiled warmly.

The next vision was of a young Natasha the same age as before.

She was dressed in a pair of pants tucked into some leather work boots, while a long sleeved shirt covered her torso. Her hair was tied back in a ponytail and she stood in front of the Overseer.

"Ivan will not be able to accompany you during the tests. He might be a distraction. I hope that is alright?" The Overseer asked Ivan who was standing behind Natasha.

"Of course!" The Overseer flashed a smile before turning and giving the two a small bit of space. Ivan knelt down and looked Natasha in the eyes. "Do your best. If you make it into this school and you last a year without any problems, I won't make you go again. Just so that I don't have to worry and my redeployment ends yes?"

Natasha nodded and chewed on her bottom lip like she wanted to say something. A strange mixture of anxiety and excitement warred in my chest. Natasha turned and followed the Overseer across the way towards a wooded trail. Six other girls whom I hadn't noticed before stood waiting. Natasha was easily the youngest.

"We start with a run." The Overseer decades not bothering to share the distance they would be traveling. Murmurs swept through the small group but Natasha stayed quiet. The Overseer turned abruptly and started off into the woods. Natasha watched as the other girls followed suit rather quickly. With a playful smile Natasha jogged after them at a much slower pace. Nearly half a mile into the run Natasha was still lagging behind the group. The other girls stayed close to the Overseer's heels. Again Natasha smiled like she was in her element, of course she was, physical exercise wasn't a problem for her. The course was much more difficult than I had originally perceived. Tree roots and rocks stuck up. Logs from fallen trees filled the path. It would have been a wolf's paradise.

The group up ahead hurtled a log but one girl landed awkwardly and nearly fell over. No one waited to see if she was okay. Natasha took it easily in stride unlike the others who had stutter stepped. Though it didn't look like she was going much faster Natasha was gaining ground. She caught the girl who had stumbled a new rush of excitement washed away my fatigue as well as hers. Her stride elongated and as she came across a rocky stretch of land she didn't break stride and simply hopped from one rock to the other like a little goat. She caught another girl. A small river soon interrupted their path and without hesitation the Overseer sprinted into the cold water. Others hesitated but soon followed suit. Natasha's eyes darted around as if she were looking for someone or something. At the last second she darted to the right following the bank to where the river narrowed. She leapt across it easily and sprinted into the woods. The others were just getting out of the river.

Moments later Natasha exited the tree line after running off path for a while and came up next to the others. They looked surprised to see her and quickly upped the pace. Natasha with a small laugh breezed past them flashing her familiar smirk over her shoulder. She was now right next to the Overseer who had yet to break a sweat. The Overseer glanced down at young Natasha with a look of distaste. The Overseer quickened the pace dramatically and for a moment I thought Natasha would drop but she pumped her arms and kept up. The Overseer with a blank expression flippantly said, "We have three more miles. You've only run one."

Natasha shrugged as she expertly navigated another rocky patch and quickly scrambled over the top of a boulder. Landing lightly on the other side she smiled. "I could go all day."

The scene faded away and I expected another to take it's place but nothing happened. Something triggered in me. I realized I could hear just barely. The soft sound of shuffling, the sound of metal scraping against wood. The sound of a crackling fire. My heart skipped a beat as I realized my hearing had been restored, and what was better is I knew who was with me. I recognized Natasha's footsteps though they dragged more than usual. I could only imagine how exhausted she was. Slowly my heart calmed down and I focused on listening. It was the only thing I could do right now and it was better than the pitch black. Though it was hard to think one thought kept popping back in my head. How was I seeing Natasha's life story? How could I feel her emotions and experience her pain? My thoughts faded as I heard her soft breathing. It was quiet and I wondered if she was asleep. It sounded rather close. My theory was put to shame when her voice reached my ears barely a whisper. It was the last thing I heard before my hearing faded and I dissolved into another set of dreams.

"I'll get us out of here Steve. I'm not giving up."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.9K 2K 74
The aftermath of Ultron leaves many people in situations they thought they'd never find themselves. Two of the avengers very own find themselves in q...
68.7K 1.7K 20
This is a CapTasha story. Eliminating Sharon, equals to CapTasha happily ever after. So let's not think about her here.😁😁😊😊 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
271K 6.6K 41
"So after getting shot, your main priority was getting a sandwich instead of getting help" "Hey, they've got the best ones in Queens!" When the aveng...
52.5K 2.2K 52
This story was requested by @UrsulaSingh Y/N Romanoff is the biological little sister of Natasha Romanoff. When you were just two years old you and y...