Chapter Seventeen

Scarrlet's POV

After returning from the garage where I had been helping Steve fix up his motorcycle I entered my room desperate for sleep. Peeling off my boots I rested them in the hall just outside of the door. With a sigh I twisted the nob carefully and entered in case Natasha was asleep. Once inside I shut the door with ease and produced only a small thud. Glancing about I noticed Natasha curled up in a ball on her bed. Her eyes were rimmed slightly with red and I immediately knew she had been crying. Shaking my head I managed to go through my nightly routine without collapsing from exhaustion. Minutes after resting on my mattress I was asleep.

The next morning I woke up to the sun as it felt the need to shine its light directly on my face. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes I forced them open carefully taking in my surroundings. Everything was intact, nothing unusual. Good, I had grown plenty tired of Tony and his pranks. Apparently being the new kid on the block you were his victim. Stretching I got to my feet only to feel a cool breeze that made me want to dive back under the covers. Goose bumps covered my skin causing me to shiver. Turning I noticed that the window was open. No wonder it was so bright. Walking over I closed it grateful for the returning warmth. While I went about my usual tasks I let my thoughts wonder. They landed on the discussion I had with Steve yesterday.

He had been in the garage talking animatedly with Tony both of them bearing huge smiles. Pausing as to not interrupt the conversation I rapped my knuckles on the wooden wall. Drawing there attention I gestured to Steve.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" He wiped his hands off on a rag preparing to stand up when Tony scooted around me.

"Don't mind me." With a wink he left leaving us on our own. Not sure of what to do now that I had gotten his attention I pulled upcan overturned crate so that I sat next to his tool box.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" He asked tightening something with his screwdriver. He looked up at me momentarily forgetting his work the question written on his face. He must have sensed my hesitation seeing as how he gave me an encouraging smile.

"Well, see I'm... Well I'm worried about Natasha." He nodded setting his tools down and leaning back against a crate of his own.

"Yeah, me too." Was his response.

"It's just everything that's happened...its really hurting her." He pressed his lips in a thin line and a moment of silence passed between us.

"You want to do something about it." I nodded.

"I've already tried helping her and I can only do so much. I was wondering if maybe you could coax her into sharing at least a little of what's going on. I mean honestly, I could care less about the mission and the information she's keeping, my main priority is to make sure she doesn't do something stupid." The desperation in my voice painted a worried expression on his face.

"I'll do what I can but I'm not going to force her." With that agreement in place I decided to ask for one last favor.

"Also, do you think you could tell Tony to relax a little bit. He's been pretty up right lately." With another nod and smile I left feeling slightly accomplished and hoping he would do everything he could. With things going the way they were it would be disastrous if we lost a member. Especially someone as valuable as Natasha.

After finishing what needed to be done I headed towards the homestead for breakfast. It was lovley here and I really enjoyed it but part of me was wondering when we would get the chance to leave.

"So I forgot to ask you yesterday but what was in the canister?" Tony asked breaking the pattern of my thoughts. Laura seemed pleased with the question.

"It was something left over from my days as an agent. SHIELD developed it for emergency uses. The mist or spray inside of the can numbs the senses. You loose taste, smell, hearing, and sight, temporarily of course. I figured maybe it would calm him down enough. Guess it worked." Tony nodded thoughtfully. I could practically see the wheels turning in his head.

"Got any more of that stuff?" He asked.

"Yeah. Come on I'll show you." I groaned as the glint in his eye meant that his inner genius was working. That also meant we were all probably in danger. Scarfing my food down Icwas about to leave when the thud of boots on the front steps met my ears. Curious I waited patiently. Sure enough two very familiar people entered. Natasha's hair was toddler in a wild mess and she wore a large grin on her face whereas Steve was neat as ever a traumatized look morphing his features. He blinked a few times before shaking his head and sitting down at the table. Thor entered next declaring that he was indeed hungry.I leaned in close to Steve so that no one else would be able to hear us. He stared at his plate looking slightly bewildered.

"You look traumatized." I laughed looking from him to Natasha who was still glowing. He swallowed hard.

"I am." Came his response and I laughed again willing my glass of water. Deciding that wasn't the answer I was looking for I asked another question.

"So, what did you do to end up like this?" I asked gesturing to him as a whole.

"What did I do?" He asked a smile playing on his lips. "Scarrlet I did exactly what you asked."

"Care to share the details?" I pressed.

"You know curiosity killed the cat." Came his sarcastic answer. "But I suppose I could tell you."