Chapter Nineteen

Natasha's POV

After my mid-night adventure with Steve the temperature plummeted and it was clear that winter was on the horizon. It started as a slow decline for a few days before plummeting all together. If you stepped outside your nose would turn pink and your breath would turn to mist.
At night when you were trying to sleep your toes would grow cold and it would spread through your body causing you to shiver in your sleep. All of this was exactly why I was outside in the cold hacking away at the logs piled waist high. My whole body was numb, I couldn't feel anything, and it was great. I couldn't feel the tiredness that had plagued me the past few days, or the boredom that constantly followed me, and most importantly my thoughts. Lately it had become even harder to sleep and I found that the only way I could, was to work myself until pure exhaustion consumed me.

The familiar weight of the axe rested in my hands as it slid through my grip providing a satisfying thud as the wood split. I had been out here most of the morning, by that I mean before the sun's rays kissed the tops of the trees. With light finally finding its way into the world the others had come and gone from the homestead no one questioning me, which was a good thing, not for me but for them, after all I was holding a deadly weapon. Again I swung and again my mark was precise. Having created a rather large pile of wood I knelt in the frost covered grass to gather up my mess. With my arms full I brought the contents in my arms around the house until I reached another pile, this one consisting of split logs. Tossing my load down I headed back the way I had come to start the process all over again. Rolling my shoulders I grabbed the axe's shaft and raised it above my head before bringing it down. Thud, swing, thud, swing,thud. It soon became a rythm and, I a mindless machine.

It was a long time before I noticed anything and when I did it was the pain that rocketed through my entire body shaking me to the core. Sucking in a sharp breath I let the axe plummet to the ground. Standing I rocked on my heels waiting for the pain to pass. When it did my muscles quaked in a shudder and I finally noticed how cold it was outside. Blowing a breath of misty air I hurriedly stomped up the steps and through the door shutting it with a thud behind me. My fingers were numb and my toes seemed to be non existant despite my boots. Jumping up and down in place I blew hot air into my hands and rubbed them trying to force the sensation of feeling.

"I was wondering when you'd finally come in." Laura smiled sitting at the table with two steaming cups. Shuffling over I sat in the seat across from her. The next thing I know a cup was in my hands and the steam wafting up and into my face.

"What's this I breathed?" She took a sip from her mug before giving a fleeting glance outside.

"Hot chocolate. I figured it was about time to whip the best winter drink out. You know the first snow is predicted to come tomorrow?"

"Really?" I winced internally at this revelation. So much for doing outside activities to keep myself in check. A long pause passed between us, long enough for my fingers to tingle with feeling like a million little ants were dancing on my hands.

"If you don't mind me asking, it seems to me like something's bothering you. What is it?" I swallowed another sip of my drink pondering the question.

" Call me crazy but I have this feeling that we shouldn't be here."

"As do I." Thor interjected with a grumble appearing in the doorway with ribbons tied in his hair. Smirking I fought away my laughter hiding it with a cough.

" Thor come back! You have to play!" Client's daughter called from the other room.

"Yeah Goldilocks!" Tony insisted. With a grudging sigh Thor turned and left going back to whatever pitiful game he was being subjected to.