Chapter Eighteen

Steve's POV

Steve's POV

It had been an hour or so after Scarrlet had come to me. I sat outside on the lawn tossing rocks as far as I could. She was right, Nat needed help, but how?Absorbed in my thoughts I leaned back to look at the stars. They were extremely bright here without the polluted air. Purples, blues, andblacks cloaked the dancing stars and it was hard not to wonder what was up there. Gazing I studied the few constellations I knew, my favorite was Orion. Tony used to joke that the constellation was created after I supposedly passed away. I had laughed and tossed the idea away, remembering it just now brought a smile to my face.

Realizing it was late I got to my feet dusting off my hands and tossing one last rock that disappeared into the tree line. Letting the grass brush my ankles I headed back to the guest house where the lights were off and the others were asleep. Lately it seemed my past experiences were the only things that worked their way into my thoughts at night. Then again night mares weren't that uncommon with me. Taking one last fleeting glance at the sky as I headed to my destination I noticed a shadowy figure teetering on the edge of the roof. Groaning I refocused my gaze and my eyes adjusted. Whoever it was, walked precariously on the edge walking back and forth before performing an elegant spin. The process repeated with only a few differences an extra twirl or slight dip. Sometimes it was an added step, what was mesmerising was how fluent and smooth it was.

"What do you think you're doing Romanoff?" I called my voice carried away in the silence the wind stealing my breath. The faint sound of rustling leaves and grass greeted my ears.

"Dancing." She called. Shaking my head I circled the house noticing an open window and leaping. I easily reached it hoisting myself up and onto the window sill before jumping again and snagging the roof. Getting a solid footing I walked across the plaster before stopping next to her and following her movements.

"On what?" I asked. Pointing to the edge of the roof. She leaned over on one foot so that most of her body was over the edge. Peeking at the ground below and settled back on both feet. Performing a graceful turn she smiled leaning in close to me so that her lips were next to my ear.

"The edge." She whispered eerily. Hopping down and landing lightly on her feet she sauntered over to the other side of the building before casually jumping over the edge. Walking over I glanced over the edge to see her standing at the bottom uninjured. Smiling I jumped off as well landing lightly on my feet barely making a sound. "Sometimes you fall."She smiled and it looked a little unerving in the dark but I brushed the thought away.

" So what brings you out on this fine night? " She asked and I could practically see her raising an eyebrow.

"I couldn't sleep." I mumbled. She laughed slinging an arm around my waist before pulling me towards the grass. She pushed me down into a sitting position before gesturing for me to lay down. She plopped down across from me.

"The doc.  is in." I sighed sitting up.

"Nat I don't really want to-" She cut me off with a raise of her hand.

"Sir, you'll have to lay down for this to work." She said mimicking my voice in a very bad way. "Okay, now close your eyes and visualize what happened. Describe it to me."

Groaning I rested my head in the soft pillow of grass and closed my eyes blocking out the singing stars. Taking a few deep breathes I forced everything out of my mind. Well, almost everything. Calling forth the dream that had been bugging me the most I let it take shape. It formed starting out as a small fuzzy image before growing at once into something horrifying and familiar.