Chapter Thirty Six

Clint's POV

We had been flying for some period of time now. Nothing eventful had happened, all that could be seen was the brilliant white of snowflakes. That didn't mean I was going to be less tense. I wondered when we would reach our first destination, when we would see the others. I wondered where Scarrlet and the rest of my team were. Had they already reached the destination, were they already causing havoc? Where was Steve? Had he found Natasha?

Silence was loud in my ears, anticipation gripped my gut. It took a few minutes before the snow began to fade revealing the dimming sky. Night was approaching and when it did, it would cloak us. The world seemed to be completely unaware of what was about to happen. It was like everyone was asleep and would suddenly wake up part of another world. Focusing on something different I tried to make out the shapes of the other jets.

"How are you doing Clint?" It was Hope talking faintly through my head set. It was surreal, like I was taking a late afternoon flight without a care in the world.

"I'm fine. You?" There was silence on the other end.

"I wonder where were going. Think the others are already there?" She asked quietly.

"I don't know. I just keep hoping they're doing alright." As the words slipped from my mouth we broke through the clouds. At first I thought I was seeing the sunset. Brilliant shades of orange yellow and pinkish red filled my vision. Only I realized that this was entirely different. What I was looking at was large columns of fire.

"Shit!" I cursed. How had I not realized we were so close?

"Do we break now?" Hope asked her voice on edge. As I passed over the plumes of smoke and fire I gazed at the burning skeleton of a city. Buildings were crumbling, gaping holes littered the streets, and fire was everywhere. Luckily not a single person was in sight. It seemed like the town was deserted.

"No. It looks like they've already been here." Hoops let out a sigh, not one of relief, but simply a release of air. The destruction was burned into my retinas, we had only been flying for a short period of time, how had they already caused this much damage? The speaker crackled over my headset and a gruff voice filled my ears.

"We're nearing the war sight. Prep for attack, local militia and military have aircrafts afloat." The speaker cut out and a small dot appeared on my radar.

"Alright Hope, I think it's time we pulled out." Reaching up I flicked a switch before easing up on the accelerator. The plane eased up in speed and as the others continued flying there was a gap where I should have been. Hope followed suit coming up to my right wing.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing soldier! Get up in the ranks!" The gruff voice was back.

"Sorry sir, I'm experiencing some difficulties. The engine's acting a little funny." I replied trying to sound panicked.

"Fine but figure it out or so help me I will shoot you out of the sky!" The voice shouted angrily. Funny you should say that. As the diamond formation of jets slowly grew farther away I punched the accelerator. The plane lurched forward hungrily.

"Let's get these brainwashing black berries and squash em!" The young girl next to me made the first noise I had heard from her in a while, and if was pure genuine laughter. Flashing her a quick smile I began the hunt.

Hope was riding my tale slightly above me to give support if need be. "Let's punch through the middle! We'll separate them into two groups!" Hope urged.

"Sounds like a plan." Pulling up a little ways behind the back of the group I launched the first rocket. It slammed into the aircraft's tail and the jet immediately went up into smoke. Shrapnel passed harmlessly over me. Hope shot out the second attack knocking out the leading plane. It too erupted into flames dropping out of formation and heading straight towards the ground.