Chapter Eight

Natasha's POV

We were in the middle of our flight to the first location in Russia. For the most part the jet flew smoothly only an occasional bump when we hit turbulence. Unlike usual we weren't in our suits. We weren't expecting a fight, our main job was to get in and out. To figure out as much information as possible and leave. We would come back if anything was discovered once we learned more of the details.

"How much farther Mr.Stark?" An agent asked their voice clouded in static as it came from the headsets.

"Please agent Carter call me Tony, and in answer to your question about five minutes." Another two jets full of agents were flying a minute or so behind us. Fury had made it clear that the more people we had working with us the more area we could cover. I had made it clear though that we couldn't attract to much attention. Un-strapping my seatbelt I walked steadily over to one of the weapons crate that was secured in the corner. Opening it I rifled through the contents before finding a knife that I strapped to my thigh, before grabbing two pistols one of which I tucked into my waist band the other was secured to my other leg.

"Isn't it a little over the top to bring weapons?" Steve asked looking confused.

"Believe me these woods are dangerous, you do not want to go unarmed." I replied steadily. He seemed to ponder my words before slowly reaching down as if he would get caught before picking up his shield and resting it in his lap. Making my way back to my seat I tapped my foot in anticipation. I wasn't sure what we would find but hopefully it wasn't anything that would confirm my suspicions. Taking the opportunity to quell my nerves I studied everyone around me.

Clint was staring at his shoes, thick boots, and was humming a pleasant tune. He wore a long trench coat like jacket with his usual leather pants and tight shirt. His bow rested at his side and occasionally he would pluck its string. Thor was cracking his knuckles every couple of seconds obviously bored or trying to take his mind off of how hungry he was. Thor wore his usual clothes saying they were more comfortable but had agreed to not wear his curtain of a cape. It took some convincing but everyone agreed that the bright red might attract unwanted attention. Where we were going wasn't to far from the public with a few settlements nestled deep in the woods. Steve sat with his shoulders hunched and hands clasped together. It looked as though he was praying, and maybe he was. His outfit of choice was thick denim pants and a pair of working boots. He wore a plain white shirt and his usual brown leather jacket.As for me I wore simple grey cargo pants with thick black boots and black T-shirt. Scarlett wore her trademark red jacket with tight thermal pants and boots.

"Prepare for touch down." Tony informed just as the jet swayed in a gentle rocking movement until there was a soft bump as the landing gear touched the ground. Unclicking my seat belt I stood, did a quick stretch, and stepped onto the lowering ramp. Scarlett was quick to follow and I could see the eagerness on her face. She had told me many times before that her accent had been mistaken for being Russian and how she wanted to see the place people mistook for her home.

"You coming boys?" I called back taking my first step into the snow that covered the ground in a thick blanket.

"Don't run off just yet Romanoff we need to discuss the plan." Fury informed, his voice coming from my earpiece.

"Awww!" I whined in mock irritation. Hearing the sound of another engine I looked up to see the other two jets lowering steadily into separate clearings. Moments later we were all gathered around Fury. We totalled around twenty people in all.

"Here's what we are going to do." Fury called out speaking with an ever present authoritative tone. "We will fan out across the area. Everyone has a partner so you will go in pairs of two. We're looking for anything unusual or out of the ordinary. If you find anything use the small tablets I will be giving you shortly and take a picture. Tony will remain with the jets and sift through the images you send him. He will let you know of its importance. Before we leave everyone please make sure you earpieces or on." After the equipment check and the passing out of tablets we were assigned our partners.