Chapter Twenty Nine

Natasha's POV

The gunfire was a roar in my head that pained my senses. My ears rang painfully and yet I couldn't hear a single thing other than that incessant noise. My head felt fuzzy like it was stuffed with cotton. The world around me seemed to slow down a drone of popping and banging the back ground music. My vision swam in and out of focus.

I had barely managed to understand that Steve had found me somehow, and that I was slumped out of view against a wall. Bang,bang, crack! Get a grip Natasha! Shaking my head, I desperately tried to get a an idea of what my surroundings looked like. Painful screams sounded behind me as the exchange of bullets found targets. A large bang and a flash sounded to close for comfort. A smoke screen seeped into the corridor further blurring my vision. Their was the faint sound of boots and panicked orders. Gunfire swarmed around me in unorganized chaos. The ringing in my ears slowly faded and with it my disorientation became less severe.

Rising up onto my knees I turned to see a scuffle taking place in the fog. A man and soldier were wrestling for control over a gun. The dark suited soldier slammed his fist in his opponent's gut causing the man to keel over in pain. A boot from the soldier cracked against the man's back toppling him to the ground, the gun in his hand flying across the floor. The soldier's victim rose un- steadily to his feet . With a set jaw he launched himself at the soldier, a fire to his gaze. Lashing out the man's fist connected with the soldier's jaw followed by a knee to the gut. The two were stuck in a vicious brawl of wills. The soldier clearly had better skill, and as I struggled to my feet the soldier gained supremacy over the man. With the gun now resting in his hand the soldier planted his boot atop the man's chest and fired a single shot.

The man's tense body went limp, his muscles relaxing, and a single sigh escaping his bloodied lips. The man's head lolled to the side his eyes glazed over but a small smile on his lips. The dead man's gaze fell on me, somehow betraying my location even in death. Maybe it was punishment for not helping.The soldier cocked the gun again turning to me his dark eyes burned into my soul. Glancing back at the man lying on the ground unmoving and lifeless the reality around me came surging back with brutal force. My head cleared, the intense sounds of combat flooded my ears, and my skin crawled in anger. In a second I lunged catching the soldier by surprise. Slamming him against the wall I twisted his wrist until there was a loud pop. Prying the gun free from his fingers I shot the man in the leg. With a pained shriek he crumbled to the floor.

You people have caused to much pain, and much misery, it was time it ended. Rounding the corner I dissapeared into the fog. Bodies flashed in and out of view, limbs flailing about, weapons flashing menacingly. A soldier stumbled out of the fog his gaze settling on me. In an instant I pulled the trigger and he fell to a similar fate as his comrade. Turning my gaze landed on a soldier whose gun was pointed on a man that rested on his knees. Another shot, another fall. Picking up his gun I spun in a three sixty degree turn. I pulled the trigger on every enemy I saw. A body came flying out of the mist and landed amongst his fallen friends. In surprise I looked up to see Steve, Hope, and Clint, emerge from the white cloak and ravaging the opposing forces.

Steve punched a soldier who went flying and crashed into a wall where a man snatched him up and thrust him onto the ground before plugging him with a bullet. Just as soon as they appeared they faded back into the mist but it was enough to give me more energy than before. My friends are alive! They're okay, and they're here! With renewed strength I dove back into the fray. The enemy crumbled under my assault, they came in waves and each of them met the floor. I was untouched, unstoppable, a panther stalking her prey. The fog began to disperse and as It did I noticed the collection of people writhing at my feet. Turning I saw Steve at the front of a group of rag tag men all of them staring in awe at me.