Chapter Forty One

Steve's POV

I had woken for a brief moment. Just long enough to see that I was outside, Natasha was in front of me crouched behind my shield. I reached out to her trying to ask her what had happened when I saw the sky erupt in flames. In a split second I realized the reactor had finally exploded. Wrapping my arm around her waist I tried to position myself behind her and the shield. Everything went black afterwards. Now I was clueless as to what was happening. Everything was a pitch black pit. I could hear nothing, feel nothing, see nothing, smell nothing. My senses had abandoned me. The inky black swirled around me and from it figures began to emerge, pulling themselves from the black pool. They took shape and color flooded the darkness revealing what had been hidden.

I was watching a building burn. Orange flames licked the ceiling and roared in the air. At first that was all I saw but soon a young male figure tore into the room I was watching. He had brilliant strawberry blonde hair but that was all I could tell. He was using a rag to help block out the smoke that was seeping into the room. Studying the room I saw a dresser, a simple closet, a tiny bookcase, and a bed. Inside the bed was a small girl maybe three or four. Her hair was also a brilliant red. Her eyes were wide and terrified as the ceiling up above creaked. The man shouted something in Russian but somehow I understood what he was saying.

"Natalia! Come here!" Shock swept through me. I watched as a young Natasha leapt off her bed and sprinted into her Dad's arms. She clutched his shoulder as he exited the room searching frantically for something. I followed them.

"Papa! What happened?" Little Natasha cried fear sparking in her chest. The man took the rag from his nose and mouth to wipe away Natasha's tears.

"The Germans are here. The city is in danger, we must hurry. No more crying alright? Now let's find Mommy." Natasha squealed in fear at the word Germans, but she nodded and hurriedly wiped away her tears. Natasha's father passed her into his other hand as he dodged a tongue of fire. The flames were closing in and from behind a loud crack echoed. The man spun around and his eyes grew wide at the sight of Natasha's room now a pile of rubble.

"Papa!" Natasha yelled pointing at a creaking beam. He began a hurried pace again kicking down the door to another room. Inside was a woman who to my surprise looked much like Natasha now a days. She had dressed hastily and in the small bag she held she had begun cramming small but dear possessions.

"We must go! The house is crumbling!" Natasha's father called. The woman nodded tucking the small bag in the fold of her clothes. Natasha's father rested her on the ground in front of him while he and his wife followed behind.

"Follow my directions Natalia!" He ordered. Turning the group dodged rubble and hungry fire. Natasha listened to her father's words but I watched horrified as the ceiling began to bow. At last Natasha reached the door. Throwing it open she rushed outside and turned to look for her parents but she didn't see them. The ceiling broke and the house tumbled inwards. Smoke and fire were thrown into the air creating a small plume. Natasha choked covering her eyes and waited for the smoke to clear. When it did she realized her parents were still missing. Panic sparked inside of her and she ran to the dying coals of the house screaming.

"Daddy! Mommy!" Tears poured down her cheeks. As she searched the rubble. Her shoes were no match for the best and her feet began to burn but it was hardly noticed. Up ahead lay her father and mother. Shock rocked me yet again and I realized it mirrored Natasha's expression. Somehow I was feeling everything she was. I was experiencing it all. She scrambled over to them tripping and seating a hand as she tried to catch her fall. Whimpering she pressed on. Finally she arrived at their sides. Her father was draped over her mother, his clothes riddled with holes. Her mother's face was turned up at the sky her eyes glazed. In her hand was the small bag of items as if she had pulled it out in her last moments. This terrible aching feeling filled me and it was so painful that I couldn't even describe it. Desperate Natasha snatched up the bag and turned to see her settlement ablaze.