Once Upon A Surf

By mahomie_naomi

***COMPLETE*** Meet Lindsey Fisher. She's your normal surfing addict, who adores being out on the waves and c... More

Once Upon A Surf
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
NEW BOOK

Chapter Sixteen

5.7K 163 15
By mahomie_naomi

I opened the door to the house and instantly knew something was wrong.

Donna's car hadn't been in the driveway, but the twins' car was. And from the look on Taryn's face, I was in some major trouble.

"I'd run."

"Lindsey Fisher!"

My eyes widened slightly and without another thought I turned, bolting out the door and into the garage. Unfortunately, though I was an athlete, Kelly had some speed and I could hear her racing after me.

I ducked behind a rack of maintenance equipment, spinning and looking at Kelly with wide eyes. "What?"

Her face was bright red, her dark brown hair pulled in a tight pony tail. Her eyes flamed as she jumped forward, shoving the shelf enough that I stumbled back. Oh, she's really pissed.

My eyes flickered to the back door of the garage and I dashed forward, my hand barely brushing the handle as I felt Kelly's grip wrap around my forearm and yank me back, shoving me back against the wall hard.

"Let me go!" I spat, shoving her arm off of me. "I didn't do anything!"

"No?" Kelly jabbed a finger at my face. "I heard your talk with mom the other day."

I stared at her, my stomach flipping, though I tried to keep my face nonchalant. "What are you talking about?"

"You pathetic servant girl, dating the one boy I told you to stay away from," Kelly said through her teeth, bite behind every word.

I blinked, swallowing the hurt from her jab. "Who?"

Kelly looked about ready to slap me, instead clenching her fists at her side. "Don't you dare play dumb with me again. I will end your surfing career—"

"No you won't," I challenged, barely aware of Taryn peeking her head through the door. "Not this close to finals. Your mom wouldn't listen to you. Especially because I'm expected to blow everyone out of the water, including your best friend Courtney—"

"Shut the hell up, brat," Kelly seethed, her eyes narrowing. She reached into her back pocket, pulling out a small piece of paper and holding it up. "Know what this is?"

I stared at her blankly as she unfolded the page, beginning to read slowly and deliberately. "'To my little girl—if you're reading this, I'm gone. I'm sorry. I knew I was going to die—'"

"You went through my stuff!" A sudden rush of anger spread through me and I jumped forward, but Kelly yanked the page out of my reach with a light laugh. "Give that back!"

She cocked her head, a dangerous look in her eyes. "I'm sorry. I thought since you could steal my crush, I could take this wonderfully written note—"

"That was from my dad," my voice was trembling, tears burning behind my eyes. "Give it back, Kelly."

Kelly ignored me, looking back at the page. "'I didn't want to tell you what was happening, because I didn't want you crying. It's okay, Lindsey. Everything will be okay. And even though I'm gone, you're going to make it.'"

"Please," the word was barely a whisper, a few tears slipping out of my eyes. "Please give it back."

Kelly smirked at me, crumpling up the page and shoving it into my chest, hard enough to make me stumble back a step. "I bet if your father knew you were a man-stealing whore, he wouldn't have written you at all."

With that she shoved past me, heading for the door. I barely noticed, staring at nothing, a mixture of anger and hurt churning in my stomach. She threw the door open forcefully, pausing to give me one last glare. "Don't think this is over."

And with that, the door slammed shut.

***************************************************************************************

"Dumb party," I said through my teeth, dumping another bag of chips into a bowl. "Dumb food, dumb music, dumb people—"

"What are you going on about now?" Kelly brushed into the room, some of her hair still clipped up, needing to be styled. "This does not look ready for tonight. At all."

I put my hands on the counter, my jaw tight. "I'm working on it."

Kelly put a hand on my shoulder, a water bottle in her other hand. "Work faster, darling."

With that, she walked to the hallway, turning and raising a hand. "One more thing. Change your clothes, you look like you got chased by a bear."

"More like my sister."

"What was that?"

"Nothing," I said, rolling my eyes and wiping my forehead. "Everything will be perfect, Kelly."

Kelly spun, heading back to her room to finish getting ready. I glanced at the clock, letting out a sigh and continuing to set everything up. I had been working the majority of the day getting this set up, starting after the brawl Kelly and I had had that morning.

I closed my eyes, forcing thoughts of the morning away from me. All I wanted to do right now was sleep, which I could do after getting everything set up. I spent the next hour setting out snacks and cleaning up the kitchen, making sure there was plenty of space in the living room for dancing. I rearranged the tables on the porch, and by the time I was finished people had begun trickling into the house.

I dashed back to my room before Kelly could see me, changing into a pair of white jean shorts and a teal blue blouse. I wrapped a light brown belt around my waist and put on a matching pair of sandals, pulling my hair up into a messy ponytail before heading back out into the madness.

The house was already crowded, and the party hadn't even officially started yet. I bumped into a dozen people as I made my way into the kitchen, running into Kelly almost immediately. She wore a skintight black dress and had way too much makeup on, her dark brown hair falling in curly waves.

"Good, you're ready," she said, shoving me towards the garage. "Mom needs your help with the drinks."

I stumbled forward, opening the garage door to see Donna opening her trunk, which was loaded with all types of alcoholic beverages. As far as Donna was concerned, she would rather have people drinking at her house than at somewhere dangerous. I disagreed completely, but I had gotten used to my opinion being pushed aside in this house.

Without a word I began grabbing cases of drinks, carrying them into the house and putting them in coolers. Kids surrounded them like wild animals, and once everything was unloaded I leaned against the counter, letting out a sigh.

After only an hour of the party, I was already exhausted.

The music was thumping loudly enough to give me a migraine, kids stumbling around slightly tipsy. The house was darker than usual, the air sticky and hot, making it hard to breathe. Kids were sticking together in clusters, different social groups separated. Kelly and Taryn were in the midst of it all somewhere—last I spotted Taryn, she was dancing in the living room, way too close to a random guy I had never seen before.

Totally not my scene.

"Lindsey!" I heard a familiar voice and turned, my eyes widening slightly.

"Drew?" I said, staring at him in shock before snapping my mouth shut and glaring at him. "What are you doing here?"

"I was invited by your sister," Drew said, speaking loudly over the blaring music. "I didn't know you would be here."

"It's my house."

"I just thought you'd be working," Drew said with a shrug. "Or on the waves."

I gave up trying to act angry, letting the exhaustion wash over my features. "I wish."

Drew's brow creased but before he could speak I felt a figure bump into me, warm beer spilling all over my outfit. I jerked back in shock, looking up to find the cold eyes of Kelly.

"What—" I couldn't manage words, looking down at my ruined clothes.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Kelly put a hand over her mouth in fake surprise. "There are just so many people, I didn't mean to bump into you."

My eyes flashed and I opened my mouth to speak when Kelly grabbed my wrist. "Come on. We can go get you changed."

"Wait—" Before I could protest she was dragging me away from Drew, back towards my bedroom. She threw the door open and froze, shoving me backwards suddenly. I could barely make out the figures of two people on my bed, and my eyes widened.

"Get them off my bed!"

"Come on, Lindsey," Kelly said, slamming the door shut and pulling me away. "I have a change of clothes in the bathroom."

My head spun as Kelly shoved me into the bathroom, following after me and shutting the door behind her. I looked down at my soaked shirt and shorts and cursed, turning to glare at her.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"You should probably shower," Kelly brushed past me, turning on the water. "You don't want Drew getting all sticky later on."

I stared at her incredulously. "Get out."

"Gladly," Kelly said with a smirk, ducking under the sink and pulling out a pair of too short jean shorts and a t-shirt. "You can thank me later."

"This is all your fault," I said with distaste. "I won't be thanking you anytime soon."

"Minor details," Kelly shook her head, a cocky grin on her face. "Take as long as you'd like. I'll keep Drew occupied."

I let out a sort of scream, shoving her out the door and slamming it shut behind her. I tucked my hair into a ponytail to keep it from getting wet before peeling off my clothes, jumping into the shower and closing the curtain. I washed off my body as quickly as I could, dumping soap on my hand and scrubbing until my skin was red.

I shut the water off, pulling the curtain back and staring at the room, a weight dropping in my stomach.

How did I fall for that?

I muttered curses under my breath as I stumbled out of the shower, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around my body. With clothes nowhere in sight, my only option was to make it down the hall and to my bedroom, hopefully with no one important seeing me.

I opened the door slightly, peeking outside and looking for any sight of Kelly or Taryn. Once I was confident it was clear of the two of them, I slipped out of the door and into the main hall, clutching the towel tightly around my body.

And, of course, I ran right into Courtney.

I looked up with wide eyes, my cheeks going pink instantly as the look of surprise on Courtney's face changed to humor. "Where are you going, Fish?"

"Move," I said tightly, my fist clenched tightly around the towel. I was barely aware of dozens of people starting to look our way and I tried to fight back the embarrassment.

"Make me."

"Courtney—"

"Lindsey!" I heard Kelly and closed my eyes, dread filling my system. "I send you to get changed and instead you get naked?"

I ignored her, trying to shove my way past Courtney, who pushed me back. "Nice try."

I clenched my jaw, my eyes glancing around nervously at the people who were now watching and snickering. I spun to face Kelly, my eyes flashing.

"You're hilarious," I said, my voice cool. "Stealing my clothes."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Kelly stepped closer to me, her eyes flashing dangerously. "Stealing is your forte, not mine."

"Lindsey?" Drew appeared behind Kelly, confusion clouding his features. His gaze went from Kelly to me before his face hardened and he set the drinks he had been holding down. He stepped forward, putting a hand on the small of my back and turning to face the crowd.

"I suggest you move, before I make you."

"Come on, Drew," Kelly said with a laugh. "It's just a little fun. Let's let Lindsey go back to her room and you and I can go hang out?"

Drew looked at her, cocking his head. "No thanks. I'd rather be with her."

Shock registered on Kelly's face before her eyes flashed. "Why? Because she's naked?"

"That never seemed to help you before."

A collective gasp ran through the crowd and I grabbed Drew's hand, keeping one hand on the towel on my body. "Come on."

I pulled him through the crowd as quickly as possible, bursting into my bedroom. The two figures who had been there earlier sprung apart and I gave them a sour look. "Get out of my bedroom."

The guy and girl stumbled off my bed, grabbing loose clothing on the floor before hustling out of the room. Drew closed the door, frowning and looking at me. "What's with the locks?"

I blinked, shrugging. "House came that way. Turn around so I can get dressed."

Drew turned, facing the door as I slipped into a pair of athletic shorts and a t-shirt. "Okay. I'm done."

Drew turned around and I stepped forward, reaching up on my toes and pressing my lips to his. I pulled away, staring into his hazel eyes, my heart slamming in my chest. "That was my thank you."

Drew shook his head, his eyes sparkling. "If that's the thank you I get, I'll have to save you more often."

I laughed, turning and making my bed, straightening out the mess from the two people who had been in my room. "Do you want to leave?"

"And go where?"

"Anywhere but here."

"Okay," Drew stepped forward, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I'll surprise you."

I grinned, turning my head so he could give me another peck on the lips. "Sounds perfect."

We stepped out of the room, back into the bustling crowd. No one gave me a second glance, apparently having forgotten about the incident already. I scanned nervously for Kelly, moving as quickly as possible towards the door. Drew and I made it without seeing anyone who would give us grief, and we slipped out into the cool night air.

I went straight for Drew's truck, hopping in the passenger's seat as he walked around to the other side. He started the car and we drove in silence for a few moments. I stared out the window, my stomach churning with anger towards Kelly and embarrassment.

"I don't think I'll ever go back to school again," I said after a while, breaking the silence. Drew glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, an amused look on his features.

"And why is that?"

"Everyone saw me half naked," I leaned my head against the window, closing my eyes. "My social life is ruined."

"Everyone also saw you and me become official," Drew said. "Which means we have no reason to hide anything anymore."

I turned to look at him, relief flooding through my system. "They did, didn't they?"

"Yeah," Drew shrugged. "And Donna already agreed to hire me, so even if she forbids us from seeing each other in free time, we can spend time together at school and work."

I stared at him as he cruised along the night roads. The moon highlighted his square jaw and slightly messy hair, his face relaxed as he drove. For the first time in a long time, I felt like everything was finally working out.

"You're right," I said finally, offering a small smile. "Now where are we going?"

Drew grinned. "Just wait, Fish. I promise you, I won't disappoint."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162K 12.6K 52
Rin is a Kitsune, or at least she was until a witch's spell turned her human. To regain her powers, Rin must make the lord's son fall in love with he...
130K 5.4K 15
*Prequel to '12 Seconds'* Seven years from now, Sergeant Julia Reynolds will be caught in an explosion in Afghanistan that costs her her memory. She...
105K 2.6K 45
Sometimes, it's easier to just fall. ☼ rewrite of THE SELECTED. Read the original here: http://my.w.tt/UiNb/cw0lz3XS9B
831K 27.2K 37
[Rejection Series Book 1] "Why would I want to be your mate, you're nothing more then a stipd bïtch who got her parents killed!" That was the day my...