The Beta's Mate

By sandstorm2453

I found my mate at school. He was eighteen, I was seventeen. He was one of the school's populars; I was one o... More

The Beta's Mate
The Beta's Mate Ch.2
The Beta's Mate Ch.3
The Beta's Mate Ch.4
The Beta's Mate Ch.5
The Beta's Mate Ch.6
The Beta's Mate Ch.7
The Beta's Mate Ch.8
The Beta's Mate Ch.9
The Beta's Mate Ch.10
The Beta's Mate Ch.11
The Beta's Mate Ch.12
The Beta's Mate Ch.14
The Beta's Mate Ch.15
The Beta's Mate Ch.16
The Beta's Mate Ch.17
The Beta's Mate Ch.18
The Beta's Mate Ch.19
The Beta's Mate Ch.20
The Beta's Mate Ch.21
The Beta's Mate Ch.22
The Beta's Mate Ch.23
The Beta's Mate Ch.24
The Beta's Mate Ch.25
The Beta's Mate Ch.26
The Beta's Mate Ch.27
The Beta's Mate Ch.28
The Beta's Mate Ch.29
The Beta's Mate Ch.30
The Beta's Mate Ch.31
The Beta's Mate Ch.32
The Beta's Mate Ch.33
The Beta's Mate Ch.34
The Beta's Mate Ch.35

The Beta's Mate Ch.13

22.5K 603 28
By sandstorm2453

Caleb and I entered the house through a side door. Our arrival would be announced following Jonathan’s and his parent’s arrivals. The house was dark and deserted as everyone was in the backyard waiting for the arrival or their present and future leaders. Caleb led me through the house pointing out significant rooms as we pass them. He brings me to a small dark business room where Jonathan and Mark are playing video games on the 72 inch television that is mounted on the wall. They are seated in leather chairs on either side of the large, walnut wood table and do not appear to have noticed us.

Caleb cleared his throat to get their attention. Jon spun in his chair as Mark continued to play, “Oh hey Caleb! Lana, I didn’t expect to see you here.” Hearing my name Mark paused the game and turned around as well.

“Alpha,” I greeted with a respectful bob of my head, “Caleb’s family invited me. I hope that’s okay.”

“Of course.” He allowed, “Make yourself at home Lana. Do either of you want a drink? You can call down to the kitchen the meeting isn’t starting for another half an hour.” Jon offered. I declined as drink while Caleb ordered himself a beer like the other two had. “Have you told her what the pack all knows Caleb?”

Caleb shook his head and I looked at him confused, “No I haven’t told her anything.”

“What do you have to tell me?” I inquired looking between the four boys, “Is this about me causing problems with the other packs? Why is that? What did I do?”

Jonathan’s eyes widened in surprise, “How do you know that? That’s supposed to be confidential.”

“Joe told me.” I said bluntly.

“Who’s Joe? What Joe?” Jon pushed standing up in his chair; I could see his face getting redder.

I was actually getting nervous now, “I don’t know, Joe the border patrol guy. He stopped me on the way in. Why can’t I know about any of that? It obliviously involves me.”

I was looking to Jon or Caleb for an answer but it was Mark who answered, “Lana only a select people know about Caleb rejecting you, but somehow it has gotten to other packs and they aren’t happy about it.”

“What why?” I asked confused looking between the three boys.

“It goes against an ancient silent law for Alphas and Betas that we must accept our mate whoever they might be. It still goes for common wolves but it’s not a strict.” Mark continued.

“Why is that?” I press for more I’d never heard of this silent law before, I guess I never had too. Rejected mate with practically unheard of, it made me sick even thinking why Caleb wouldn’t want me. What was wrong with me?

“Fate places mate together for a reason, in an Alpha or Beta’s position there must be an even bigger reason for this placement. An Alpha or a Beta can’t have a weak mate they’re too important.” Jon explained. I looked at Caleb, was that it? Did he see me as weak? I dropped my face into my hands trying to process this information while trying to remember to breath.

“Will the other packs attack?” I inquired.

“If they do we’ll be ready for them.” Caleb said seriously yet rather enthusiastically. “Red River and Holloway are working together to be prepared for any attacks.”

I gave him a look, “You could prevent all this, there doesn’t have to be a war between other packs.” I tried to reason with him. Caleb’s mouth set in a grim line but he didn’t reply.

“Just let it go Lana,” Jon warned as I opened my mouth to continue.

Mark opened his mouth to retaliate but there was a knock at the door as the young butler arrived with Caleb’s beer. Sensing the tension that had once again formed in the room he hurried in then high tailed it back out of the room.

I realised I had stood up from my chair so I plopped back down and buried my face in my hands. “Why does this have to be so complicated?” I moaned.

There was silence for a moment before Mark spoke up, “Because that’s Caleb’s job; to complicate everything.” We all responded with an unimpressed, was-that-really-necessary look. He coughed in embarrassment, “Sorry.”

We sat in silence for a few moments longer before I stood up. “Well I can tell I’m not really welcome here, so I’ll take my leave.”

“I’ll drive you home.” Mark offered standing up beside me.

I was about to reply when Jonathan Mother, Martha arrived at the door. “The meeting is about to start are you guys all ready? Oh, hello!” She greeted me.

I put on a warm smile, “Hi Luna, I’m Lana.” I said striding forward politely to shake her hands.

“Lana? Caleb’s mate, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” She answers pulling me into a hug, I can’t help but blush.

“The pleasure is all mine. I have to be going though so if you’ll excuse me.”

This made her smile falter, “You aren’t staying for the meeting?”

I can’t help but laugh at her disappointment she was like a kid, “No, I have things I have to do. Besides the boys already filled me in on everything.”

She gave me a kind smile then, “Well take care honey, I hope we see you again sometime soon. Come boys.” The boys filed out after her one after another.

“I’ll take you home now.” Mark offered but I was already shaking my head.

“You need to be at the meeting. I’ll call Connor to come get me.” I told him and he nodded.

An apologetic look came to his face then, “Lana I’m sorry how shitty things have been for you. You don’t deserve what Caleb’s doing to you.”

“I really should go,” I state trying not to cry now. I wasn’t willing to give into the tears, I wasn’t that kind of girl.

“Bye Lana.” Mark said before turning to catch up with the group.

I didn’t end up calling Connor, I called Stan instead. He came to pick me up and we went to the track for some more practice, they didn’t ask how in went they could tell from my facial expression. The race was only a week and a half away so I practiced late into the night working with Stan and Carl in two other cars as I worked on manoeuvring around them. It was close to three in the morning. I silently went into the house and climb the stairs to my room without waking a soul.

I woke three and a Half hours later feeling unrested and sick but I could get any further behind in school. So I got my exhausted butt out of bed to get myself ready for school.

Keri bombarded me when I got off the bus. “You’re alive! I thought you fell off the face of the earth or worse Caleb killed you!” She cried hugging my head having me awkwardly bending into her chest.

I pushed her away with a laugh, “What are you talking about?”

“I text you like a hundred times and called you another thirty. Your voicemail is filled by the way.” She answered looking slightly embarrassed with I gave her an unimpressed look. I checked my phone and sure enough it read 115 texts, 40 missed calls from BFF Keri.

“Try over a hundred texts and forty missed calls.” She cringed at this info.

“Whoops!” She said trying to sound innocent.

“Let’s go, I’ll tell you everything on the way.” I laugh linking my arm with hers.

I explained to her everything from Caleb to the conversation in the meeting room at the Red River Pack house. “I’m sorry you had to end up with such a jerk for a mate.” She said giving me the same look as Mark gave me last night, all I could do was shrug.

“On top of everything, I kind of told Mark I’d go to Jonathan’s birthday tomorrow.” I grumbled bummed about this particular promise I had made.

“Well I guess we’re just going to have to find you an outfit that will make Caleb regret even saying no to you.” She giggled as I stopped to get my books from my locker, I shook my head with a smirk, of course she would think of making Caleb jealous.

“And then I’ll accept Mark’s offer and go out with him.” I added sarcastically.

“You will?” A voice said from beside me, both Keri and I turned to see Mark standing there grinning like a little kid.

“What?” I asked pretending like he hadn’t just heard what he actually did hear.

“You said you’d go out with me.” He said with a triumphant smile.

“No I didn’t,” I shook my head.

“Yes you did.” He replied as Keri looking between us like a Ping Pong match.

“You should get your hearing checked Alpha.” I mocked with one last attempted.

“Well you did Lana.” Keri admitted giving me away.

I glared at her, “Shut up! You’re supposed to be on my side.” They both start laughing at me, “Look Mark, Keri and I were just talking about go shopping for the party tomorrow. Then I joking added me accepting your offer.”

“Well why won’t you go out with me? Caleb obviously doesn’t want you.” He inquired seriously and I couldn’t help but cringe, but he corrected his mistake quickly, “Sorry Lana, I didn’t mean to make it sound like that.”

I brushed it off and waited a moment to answer as the bell rang. “Can I talk to you about it later, please Mark? We have to get to class”

“Yeah sure.” He agreed before heading to his first class of the day. “So you are coming to the party then?”

“Yeah, I have some stuff to do so I might be a little late, but I’ll be there.” I promised.

After school Keri and I went shopping to find a new outfit for me.

“So we both agree, hot not skanky?” I reinforce before we step into the first store, she nodded in agreement. “Okay let’s go!” I say bravely before entering the store.

We didn’t find anything at that store or the next. After an hour and a half of trying on clothes I was getting tired. “Come on Lana, just one more store. We have to find something!” Keri said pushing me into the next store.

“Fine I’m going, I’m going.” I say grudgingly.

After a few minute of searching Keri called me over. “What about this?” She asked holding up a blue crop top.

“Don’t you think it’ll be too much? Remember hot not skanky.” I reply unsure.

“Just try it on!” She exclaims.

“What do I wear for bottoms?” I inquire, she pulled a pair of white jeans from a rack as we passed and handed them to me.

“Now go get into those and I’ll find you stuff to go with it.” She ordered. While I was changing she found me a pair of strappy black heals and some jewelry. I stepped out of the change room with a smile on my face. “That’s it!” Keri cried, I couldn’t agree more as I gazed at myself in the mirror.

Watch out Caleb Foster.

A/N: SORRY SORRY SORRY! After the storms last week I've just been crazy busy. This chapter has been a prime example of my procrastination right now to apply for some jobs and also study for my two final high school exams coming up this coming tuesday and wednesday! So the next chapter is Jon's birthday! What kind of shenanigans do you think are going to happen? I actually have this chapter typed out I just have to make some adjustments so I will be posting on monday again...no delays! BTW thanks for all the comments and vote they give me happy feelings! Anyways have a great rest of the weekend and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

366K 10.6K 24
Y'know that one girl who's they called the pack slut. That's me, Arielle WaterCrest. I'm actually a virgin I just flirt with boys, to get his attenti...
334K 8.6K 24
Being Edited Heavily "Mate" we both said Today is mine and my Brother's 16 birthday. "Car I think mom and dad have some explaining to do." I stated...
511K 15K 18
Maria was adopted by the third in her pack. She doesn't know that her brothers are the Alpha's sons, or that the Alpha himself was her father. Everyt...
43.2K 1.1K 23
Hi, my name is Benjamin Daniel Carter, I am eighteen years old and just transformed into my wolf and now looking for my mate. I am the soon to be alp...