No Matter What // Zayn Malik

By lostinparadise25

Olivia has had a crush on Zayn Malik from the moment she laid eyes on him, and I mean could you blame her? He... More

No Matter What
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue

Chapter 31

48.9K 1.3K 381
By lostinparadise25

You guys might hate me, I don't know. Hehe ;)

Chapter 31

Olivia's POV

It was Ben's going away party for college and Josh, my mother, and I were setting up. It was somber and quiet in the Devine residence The reality of another one of my brothers being gone was finally sitting in as I poured some crisps in a bowl.

I sniffed. They were his favorite. He'd always complain about how they were supposed to be selling chips and not air.

"Look alive, Liv, he's not dead." My mom elbowed me a little with a small smile. My mom was doing better, returning to her happier self. It took a little while but one day she was saying a little more than "Good morning". Her eyes sparkled like they should've and the crinkles by her eyes returned as she smiled at the beauty of the little things of this life. I think she didn't see me as "the deaf child" anymore. She saw me as her daughter. She loved me. I saw the honesty in her eyes.

"The boys confirmed that they will be here." Josh announced as he came into the kitchen.

"You were supposed to be cleaning the pool, not diving into it." I retorted as I noticed his wet shaggy hair.

"Speaking of things that need to be cleaned," he grinned innocently as patted my cheek, obviously referring to my face. "I thought you put your makeup on?"

"You know what, with your hair like that you sure look a lot like a - "

"Watch your mouth, Jane." Mother chided.

"Yeah, Jane." Josh laughed and strolled outside. It took every fiber in my body not to chuck the knife in my hand at his face.

"You inherited that from me." She whispered with a little laugh. "I rarely listen. Always blabbing out something. A smart mouth is a good thing and a bad thing."

"I say good."

"I say bad."

"All in moderation. Like chocolate."

"Sure." She smirked. "Is your Tristan friend coming?"

"I did invite him." A small smile appeared on my face. "I doubt he'll show up."

"And why not?"

"Zayn's coming."

"Please, he doesn't get mad when you flirt with Harry."

"MUM!" I shrieked.

"I'm not silly, sweetheart. I was young once." She gave me a little wink.

"Yeah, Mum. Once."

"Hey!" She pointed her small knife at me in a joking way. "Get chopping."

I sighed and obeyed, picking up the knife and cutting open the big watermelon. The lemonade was ready and my dad would be firing up the grill soon. Ben would be in for a sweet surprise.

"Talk to me, sweetie." Mom said. "How's Zayn and you?"

I cut a little slower and smiled a little less. "I really don't know."

It was only the beginning of our party and I was already drenched. I'd been thrown into the pool and involved in one too many water fun fights. Chelsea wished she was here but promised she'd be calling Ben soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Ben picked out a college near her.

Rosie was one of the people continuously squirting me with her huge gun, teaming up with the boys who only sought to torture me. Zayn protected me during the fights but merely tossed me a noodle after Niall "accidentally" pushed me in the pool. We teased him by throwing some floaties at him, but for the most part he was talking to the other partygoers.

"Tristan!" I screamed as I wrapped a towel around my shivering body. "You came!"

"'Course I did." He smiled. His smile was bright, practically lighting up the world. It wasn't fake or forced.

"I'd hug you but I'm drenched." I giggled a little.

"Just a little water, no biggy." He wrapped me in a hug that made me blush. "I'm gonna go say hi to your brother. See you around, babe!"

"All right!" I waved goodbye to him as he ventured into the crowd somewhere.

I started to go by my dad who was at the grill after waving to the Little Mix girls. I only made it half way though, until someone screamed at me to duck and tackled me onto the ground.

"STYLES YOU TRAITOR." Louis had yelled as I laid underneath my rescuer. My heart was racing as Harry's body was pressed on top of mine, wet curls brushing across my forehead slightly. He laughed as his tattooed chest vibrated in harmony. I laughed too, as my heart fluttered. Harry looked down at me with the cheesiest smile. His dimples were adorably evident.

"As comfortable as I am on this grass, I'd like to get up now." I smiled, a little embarrassed as Harry dumbly realized he'd been on top of me for an extended amount of time. Zayn wasn't anywhere around or perhaps I didn't care if he saw.

"Sorry," he blushed a little as he got off me. He started to walk away as I gasped in disbelief.

"Styles!" I screamed and he laughed.

"What, Devine?" His smile was gorgeous.

"Be a gentleman and help me up."

And he obeyed. I took his hand and he hoisted me up to my feet.

"How have you been, Olivia Jane?" My name sounded heavenly when he said it.

I bit my lip as he wrapped the towel around me a little tighter. His big hands slowly dropped down to his sides and I cursed myself for wishing they were around my waist.

"Can I ask you something?" My voice was quiet and small, scared of rejection.

"Is it about Zayn?" His eyebrows shot up.

I slowly nodded and he took my hand and led me out to the front of my house. I politely smiled at everyone and waved slightly, but for the most part Harry didn't stop for anyone. He was suddenly very protective of me and if anyone wondered what was wrong with me, he'd quickly answer for me. We sat under the balloons in the front that greeted Ben when he came and we sat on the grass.

"Did he hurt your or something?" Harry immediately asked anxiously. We sat across each other in the evening as I picked at the grass.

"No. Not at all! He's been really good and all." I said, trying to hide the uncertainty in my voice.

"Then what is it, Olivia?"

I was puzzled at what my mind had concluded with how I felt about Zayn. His pros and cons were lined up side by side in my mind. Being deaf and rarely speaking left me with far too much time thinking.

I was insecure, and an over analyzer. I was smart and read too much. I couldn't tell fantasy and reality apart. I was never on earth. I still am not of this world. I don't think like others and I don't say that to sound higher than anyone, I say it because it's true.

I am not one thing. I am not just a "good girl". I am a bad girl at times, but not the devil. If something doesn't make sense I get frustrated and stop at nothing to learn answers. I am still trying to decode myself. I am a mystery. I am never one thing. I am a ghost, yet I am alive. I appear to be many things. I am not quiet. I just prefer not to unleash my wrath on you. I am not rude, but merely don't feel like talking to you at the moment. I am many things. I am sad, I am happy, I am quiet, I am loud, I am afraid, I am brave. I am human. I am real.

"That's it." I whispered as I stared at the grass I had pulled out in my hands. 24 pieces. At least six inches each. My eyes looked up at Harry, who's eyes were as green and sharp and as gentle as the grass itself. "H-He's not real, Harry. I want him to say something real and not just, 'Oh you're so beautiful'. I don't want him to tell me the things I think I want to hear because eventually, the feelings behind it will be gone and there will be nothing more." I sighed as Harry slowly nodded. "That's what happened."

"The feelings gone?" Harry concluded.

"I thought I wanted a boy to tell me I was gorgeous all day everyday but when you hear something everyday, you believe it. Then you get tired of it.

"Like with Santa Claus." Harry whispered.

"He's like a robot to me. Everyone knows robots can't love. They're only programmed to do certain things."

"And eventually they die out." Harry's voice was quiet. "Or they walk away with no feeling."

I breathed out. "Exactly."

We stared up at each other for the longest time and neither of us dared to look away.

"Harry, promise you you find a good girl and when you do, use your mouth. Use your words but not too much. Use your hands to show her you care, because actions speak louder than words." I muttered as tears stung at my eyes. "Kiss her and never let her go but don't smother her. Girls are confusing. You do too much, we get mad. Do too little, we get pissed. So just - "

"Olivia," he whispered, interrupting me.

"Harry?"

He gulped. "I'm afraid I'm in love with you. I'm afraid to kiss you, but so badly I want too. I'm afraid to love you, but it would be wrong to do so. All I want to do is hold you and announce to the world that you're mine, but I know it will only hurt you and the thought of being in between your two boys will tear you and the three of us apart."

"I don't want you to get hurt, but think of me as your lover from afar. Just know I'll always be here." His eyes were glassy and ever so beautiful. "I'm in love with you, Devine, but I'm afraid I've made the biggest mistake of my life in telling you that."

My mouth wouldn't move. Everything was happening so fast. I didn't know what to do so all I did was sit there. Now fifty six blades of grass were in between my fingertips and I had a big headache.

I leaned in and kissed his cheek. He smiled sadly.

"It's a no then?"

My eyes looked up at him. Slowly I shook his head. "I'm afraid it's a yes, Styles," I smiled a little.

"But?" He whispered. He knew it all seemed to good to be true.

I slipped my hearing aid out and fell into the silence. "All I can think about is your words now. They were real. Very lovely too. I think I'll go insane if I don't do this before I go."

I slowly pecked his lips. A small but passionate one that might keep him wondering.

"Thank you, but I need some time to think now."

His lips moved and asked, "Yes or no?"

I said neither, because I wasn't sure. I told him I'd be back. I needed some air. My heart was beating for Harry - who was like the drug I had just gotten high off of - but my head was replaying Zayn and I's memories.

I didn't get very far as I walked along the sidewalk in my bare feet. The trail of wet footprints must've led him right to me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

243K 7.2K 76
"Every love story is beautiful, but ours was my favorite."
7.7M 130K 72
Carly McKinley is the new up and coming singing sensation. With her new album just being released, she is already one of the most famous young singer...
2.3M 35K 24
When Fawn moves from New York City to London, the last thing she expects is to meet the famous One Direction. She expects even less for them to becom...
9M 68.6K 51
Harry and Liberty were childhood sweethearts until Harry became part of a world famous boy band One Direction. His attitude for life changes complete...