Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Four years in.

Olivia's POV

"Your work is incredible, MIss Devine." My teacher applauded me as I started to clean off my station. I managed a small smile. I was absolutely exhausted.

Mr. Wilson sat up on the counter across from me as I grabbed my portfolio that was graded by him and had brought a smile to his and my face.

"Thank you." I said, turning to face him. "I've figured out what I wanted." 

"It shows, my dear." He took my hands, folding them one over the other and squeezing them gently. He released them as I smiled. 

"When did you know you wanted to design clothes?" 

"When I was younger, I found my sister's VOGUE magazines. Plus, my mother had no sense of style. Good Lord, somebody had to help her." We both laughed, feeling our happiness bouncing off the walls of the room. 

"It's a wonderful feeling to know who you are." He concluded. "Makes it all a bit easier, no?" He winked at me.

Earlier in the year I had broken down into tears because I didn't know what my style was and questioned why I even came here. I felt like I didn't belong. Everyone else had a special story and drive towards this and far more experienced. Mr. Wilson held me back after class, talked to me briefly to calm me down, then held up pictures and fabrics before my eyes. 

"Which one do you like?" He would ask as I sniffed and wiped my eyes.

There was lace in one hand and leather in the other.

I stared between the two. Lace was feminine, delicate, and classic. Leather was edgy and daring. Simply a head turner.

"Miss Devine, you are overthinking." He boomed, making me cry more. 

"Look! Mister Wilson I do not make decisions easily! I give in! I'm too nice! My mind is so broad I can hardly focus on a simple red dot on a white wall!" I remember screaming. "I love lace, and for a girl like me with the whole sweet and innocent look, it is completely expected for me to wear something like that! The leather gives me and anyone who can pull it off some edge! It's a simple surprise in a wardrobe! So no, I cannot decide because I simply do not have one style or a trademark!"

My throat hurt that day. My eyes stung, but it felt good to scream. Oh so good.

Mister Wilson was calm. He didn't even flinch. "So. You are a people pleaser then?"

"N-No, I - "

"Do you not care of what others think of you and how you dress?" 

I sniffed. "I-I do, but who doesn't? Come on, I'm a girl. Insecurites is all I know."

He didn't laugh. He gripped my shoulders. "Your style is your own. I comes from here - " He touched my temple, signaling that it came from my brain, my head, and my imagination. "And also here." He touched my heart. I sniffed, nodded, managed a nod and he asked me again. 

"Which one?"

"Both." I replied. 

He smiled. "I never told you it was a crime to like both." 

"S-So what does that mean?" 

"You simply can't decide." He had stolen the words right out of my mouth. "So mix it together and make it your own." 

"Thank you for all that you've done." I said, with absolute ease. 

"You're welcome, dear." 

"Are you still planning to go to P-Paris for a year?" 

I was selfish. I wanted my flamboyant teacher to stay here. I didn't want him to go. I wanted him to be my teacher and no one else's. What if he taught a student there who was far better than me? 

I felt the same way with Zayn. What if he met some cute little artist girl who wore berets and was as deep as he was and they went out after class to grab a coffee?

I didn't like to be replaced. 

"I still am." He nodded. "But, not alone." 

I blinked. "Oh, well." I sighed. "Buy a Prada bag for me." I tried to joke, letting out a small laugh. I looked down at my shoes.

"Olivia, you're coming with me, you know."

"Wait. What?" I froze in complete shock. "M-Me?!"

"There's fashion shows and museums for inspiration but more on the fashion show. I'm invited to one and I can bring a guest. They requested my best designer and I immediately thought of you." 

"B-But the money and - "

"Covered." 

"I still have another semester to - "

"I will educate you in the fashion center of the world."

How could I refust an offer such as this one?

"I'll go. Thank you. I-I mean, I just - "

"You've earned it." He smiled. "Sleep in tomorrow." 

"Oh, but Mr. Wilson - "

He took my portfolio away from me. "Rest. If I hear you came out of your room," He tried to scold me, but failed miserably, laughing before he could even finish. "Just rest. Plus, if Destiny finds out you won the trip, you'd want to be in your room." He winked at me. "Au revoir, ma cherie." 

I slept well. All I wanted to do was call Zayn and tell him all about Paris but I couldn't. He was probably sleeping. I called my mom instead when my roommate was out so she wouldn't know. My mother was just as thrilled as I was and my dad was even happier realizing there was no cost. That made me laugh so hard, tears poured down my cheeks. 

"You've made it, sweetie. You've made it."