Chapter 40

my goodness it's been ages since I've updated. at least it feels that way :)

Chapter Forty

ZAYN MALIK'S POV

I didn't go to my own after-party. I guess that was saying a lot. 

I had been ansty all night. I didn't want to shake any one else's hand or be asked how I had gotten the inspiration for the collection. 

The answer always went back to Olivia somehow. 

We should've been there together at Cocoa and Dough. We should have been in our booth. We should have been talking to Elaine and discussing the difference between espressos and frappuccino's. Elaine would always explain with a heavy sigh as Olivia would snicker until she full out started laughing. Her laugh was heaven in my ears and paradise in my heart. 

Miss Rosa patted me on the shoulder after I grabbed my coat. 

"Thanks for making a brave face." She gently smiled. 

I just nodded curtly, my chest feeling heavy. 

"I just hope she's not waiting there . . . " I managed a whisper. "Did you see if there were any flights back home?" 

Miss Rosa had an effervescent spirit. She was an optimist and an admirer of the little things in this life. Rarely did I see her upset or frustrated, but in that moment, I saw through her facade. 

"I check, but there were none available." She softly spoke.

I found it hard to believe that there were absolutely no flights to London, but I had been so exhausted I didn't even bother to question her. In all honesty, I wouldn't have hopped on a flight if there had been one. Maybe it was selfish or the wrong thing to do, but I could barely keep my eyes open.

I undid my tie with a little sigh. The tie had been choking me all night. Now I could breathe a little easier. 

I'd breathe normally if I knew Olivia was all right. She'd be here, struggling to fix my tie as I groaned and whined. 

"Thanks for trying and thank you for getting me here." I smiled, looking around my exhibit full of my art. 

Miss Rosa took my hands, squeezed them tight, and smiled. "I knew you could do it," She let go after patting them gently. "Now, now," Her teacher mode had creeped in. "Let's leave before they lock us in here. Your friend was waiting for you outside. Can I treat you two to dinner?" 

"No, no. He probably wants to crash as much as I do." I laughed. 

Miss Rosa did too. She pushed open the museum's doors and we walked out together. I dryly smiled as the cool air hit me. I breathed in the clean air and listened to anything around me in that quiet moment. Then I heard a horn go off and I knew it was Louis getting impatient. I laughed softly to myself and turned to Miss Rosa. 

"Have a nice night." I said, with a little wave. 

"You too." My teacher replied with a sparkle in her eye.

I strolled over to Louis' car and slipped into the front seat with him. I missed my mate especially after being surrounded by art connosiuers and reporters who were nosier than they should have been. I was used to the paparazzi and all of them. I preferred to hide, but I couldn't outsmart them for long. 

Louis had told me an art joke as he started up the car. I remember laughing for a second, then felt sad again. 

Promises weren't meant to be broken. 

* * * * *

My night had started out rough. I tossed and turned until two a.m. I didn't mean to keep Louis up but I did. He had been a good sport about it and stayed up with me for a little while. I sketched something on a notepad quickly, put it on the bedside, then laid back down. I had slept like a rock. All had been well, until I woke up.

Miss Rosa said that if you were up at 2 a.m. you were either on the verge of tears, an insomniac, or missing someone. She also told me a tale about the planets in the galaxy. She said even though we all take different paths, we're all still connected. Sometimes you had to step down. You had to stop orbiting. You had to regain your focus and follow a better path for yourselves. 

Our love was unique. It was often a mess. We laughed and cried until we couldn't any longer. We fought and screamed "I hate you!" so loud it echoed in our heads for days. But our souls still found a way to come together. If not now, then soon. I'd find a way. 

Louis woke me up and I groaned immeditately. 

"I know I'm not Olivia, but get up." Louis muttered. 

"No please?" I grumbled. 

"You don't deserve a please." 

"Rude." 

"Rude." Louis mimicked me in a high pitched voice. "I ordered breakfast and I need to shower so you need to be up to get it." He grabbed my shoulders and sat me upright. I rubbed my eyes as he moved to open the curtains and let the light in. I groaned as the sun pierced through the open windows and blinded me momentarily. 

"You ordered me something, right?" I looked around for some pants and a shirt to throw on. 

Louis grinned. "I got your favorite. Don't worry." 

I was too tired to even notice what he meant. I just threw on a grey shirt and some matching grey sweats to lie around in. I grabbed my phone and checked my messages. I read through them all with a swipe of my fingers but couldn't find the energy to reply to them. I simply did not feel like talking today.

A knock was audibly heard on the door and over Louis' horrendous singing in the shower.

"AYE! QUIET, LOU!" I yelled, banging on the door. I heard him yelp and heard a loud thud come from the restroom, making me burst out into laughter. 

"QUIT IT!" 

"Coming!" I said, looking towards the door again, rushing to it to get the food that Louis ordered. 

Innocently, I opened it right up and I couldn't believe who was standing in front of me with two plates of hot cakes and glasses of orange juice with a little rose in the center of the rolling table.

I'd never been so happy to see a girl with brown eyes. 

"Olivia." Was all I could breathe out, until she hugged me tightly, almost knocking over the food. 

"I missed you, Z." She whispered, running her hands through my hair. I held her even closer to me, breathing in her perfume and everything. "Did you miss me?" 

"You have no idea."