Chapter 31

You guys might hate me, I don't know. Hehe ;)

Chapter 31

Olivia's POV

It was Ben's going away party for college and Josh, my mother, and I were setting up. It was somber and quiet in the Devine residence The reality of another one of my brothers being gone was finally sitting in as I poured some crisps in a bowl.

I sniffed. They were his favorite. He'd always complain about how they were supposed to be selling chips and not air.

"Look alive, Liv, he's not dead." My mom elbowed me a little with a small smile. My mom was doing better, returning to her happier self. It took a little while but one day she was saying a little more than "Good morning". Her eyes sparkled like they should've and the crinkles by her eyes returned as she smiled at the beauty of the little things of this life. I think she didn't see me as "the deaf child" anymore. She saw me as her daughter. She loved me. I saw the honesty in her eyes.

"The boys confirmed that they will be here." Josh announced as he came into the kitchen.

"You were supposed to be cleaning the pool, not diving into it." I retorted as I noticed his wet shaggy hair.

"Speaking of things that need to be cleaned," he grinned innocently as patted my cheek, obviously referring to my face. "I thought you put your makeup on?"

"You know what, with your hair like that you sure look a lot like a - "

"Watch your mouth, Jane." Mother chided.

"Yeah, Jane." Josh laughed and strolled outside. It took every fiber in my body not to chuck the knife in my hand at his face.

"You inherited that from me." She whispered with a little laugh. "I rarely listen. Always blabbing out something. A smart mouth is a good thing and a bad thing."

"I say good."

"I say bad."

"All in moderation. Like chocolate."

"Sure." She smirked. "Is your Tristan friend coming?"

"I did invite him." A small smile appeared on my face. "I doubt he'll show up."

"And why not?"

"Zayn's coming."

"Please, he doesn't get mad when you flirt with Harry."

"MUM!" I shrieked.

"I'm not silly, sweetheart. I was young once." She gave me a little wink.

"Yeah, Mum. Once."

"Hey!" She pointed her small knife at me in a joking way. "Get chopping."

I sighed and obeyed, picking up the knife and cutting open the big watermelon. The lemonade was ready and my dad would be firing up the grill soon. Ben would be in for a sweet surprise.

"Talk to me, sweetie." Mom said. "How's Zayn and you?"

I cut a little slower and smiled a little less. "I really don't know."

It was only the beginning of our party and I was already drenched. I'd been thrown into the pool and involved in one too many water fun fights. Chelsea wished she was here but promised she'd be calling Ben soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Ben picked out a college near her.

Rosie was one of the people continuously squirting me with her huge gun, teaming up with the boys who only sought to torture me. Zayn protected me during the fights but merely tossed me a noodle after Niall "accidentally" pushed me in the pool. We teased him by throwing some floaties at him, but for the most part he was talking to the other partygoers.