You, Me and My Family

By bookslifelove

Aitana Hurst is the fourth child of the Hurst family. She is the nice, brainy daughter among three older brot... More

You, Me and My Family
Chapter 2- Confrontations and Humiliations
Chapter 3 - Let's take a drive.
Chapter 4- Fathers and Daughters
Chapter 5- Tension and Unwanted Attention
Chapter 6- Word Play and Fight Games
Chapter 7- Ice-skating and Pointless Flirting
Chapter 8- Tribulations and Isolation
Chapter 9- Comebacks and Drawbacks
Chapter 10- Study Sessions and Cooking Lessons
Chapter 11- Talks and Shocks
Chapter 12- Partying and Dancing
Chapter 13- Avoidance and Guidance
Chapter 14- Yearns and Returns
Chapter 15- Explanations and Court Allegations
Chapter 16- Arguments and Punishments
Chapter 17- Reminiscing and Driving
Chapter 18- Soccer and Lockers Part I
Chapter 19- Soccer and Lockers Part II
Chapter 20- Firsts and Worse
Chapter 21- Morning Afters and Chatters
Chapter 22- Dinners and Winners
Chapter 23- Revelations and Flirtations Part I
Chapter 24- Revelations and Flirtations Part II
Chapter 25- Despair and Dares
Chapter 26 Friends and Dead Ends
Chapter 27- Principals and Principles
Chapter 28- Chores and Bores
Chapter 29 - Songs and Righting Wrongs
Chapter 31- Dessert and Shirts Part I
Chapter 32- Desserts and Shirts Part II
Chapter 33- Desserts and Shirts Part III
Chapter 34- Cheers to Another Year
Chapter 35- Mysteries and Histories
Chapter 36- Flirts Hurt
Chapter 37- Endings and Beginnings
Epilogue 1- Senior Year
Epilogue 2- 10 Years
Epilogue 3- All Grown Up

Chapter 30- In-Laws and Family Laws

1.4K 7 1
By bookslifelove

I love this song and I think the craziness matches this craziness. To tell the differences between the two sets of grandparents, I called the Hurst = grandpa and grandma (sometimes Grandma and Grandpa Hurst) and Ai's mom's parents = Abuelo and Abuela since they are Spanish. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Ai's POV

"Boys, did you do the chores I asked?" yells my mom as she frantically runs around the house. My grandparents on my dad's side said that they were coming down and Mom wanted everything ready.

"Yeah," I hear three times.

"Okay. What else do I have to do?" says my mom as she scans the house for any offense.

"Elena, don't worry. Everything is going to be fine," says my dad in his calming voice.

"Oh please. Your mom still hates me because of the whole anniversary incident. Not that I regret it or anything. Those two were both out of line." 

"Not to interrrupt, but if we are speaking about parents, it might be a good time to mention your parents are here," says Kai as he peeks out the big bay window.

"Ugh . . . your parents are here already," Mom comments not too happily.

"Nope. Kai means your parents. Abuelo and Abuela," comments Seth happily.

"Damn. Why are they here? They probably brought Palma too. I guess, we better welcome them in. I don't know how we are going to have room." She walks off to open the front door, leaving my dad standing in the same place frozen.

"Papa. Mama. Hi. How are you? I see you left Palma behind this time, huh?" My mom's smile was almost convincing.

"No, I'm right here." Aunt Palma steps onto the porch, making herself known.

"Oh. Yeah . . .Well, come in."

"M'ija, you really need to speak more Spanish. How else will the kids know? The education system today doesn't teach them properly," complains Abuela.

"I know. I know. Why don't you put your stuff away before you start critcizing me?"

"M'ija! Don't talk to your mama like that. We taught you better," reprimands Abuelo. His bushy grey eyebrows knitted in disapproval. My mom fidgets in her jeans before replying.

"Papi, she is talking about where I work. I take that insult personally," whined my mom.

"Then, maybe you should see there is room for improvement. Such as your clothing, dresses would work better for your . . figure than those jeans. Look at your sister. She is wearing a nice pencil skirt and blazer," continued Abuela, lowering her voice at the word figure as if it were a cuss word.

"Mr. and Mrs. Ortega, why don't you guys head upstairs?"

"If it isn't the boy who took my daughter from me," began my abuelo, but his tone sounded like he was saying my dad kidnapped Mom and not married her with her full consent.

"Yes, hello Mr.Ortega."

"So, how's work? Got shot by someone yet? Or are all the real criminals actually in the big cities?" He ended his questions with a laugh. My dad was biting his lip in a effort to keep calm.

"Abuelo and Abuela, let's go upstairs. I want to tell you about some of my college choices," said Kai, always the peacemaker.

"Oh, there's my grandson. Let's go upstairs, Maria." Kai picks up their bags and heads upstairs with Abuelo and Abuela following. Seth and I sit on the couch in the living room and prepare for the show. As soon as they heard the tell-tale sign of the door closing in Kai's room, my dad let a long breath out. My mom was still brunching up what little material she could catch on her jeans.They were a little tight, but unlike Abuela, I thought Mom looked great in them.  

"Looks like they can still affect you, little sis," says my Aunt Palma beside me on the couch.

"They make me so angry. Everytime they come, I feel like I'm 19 again. I still can't talk back to them without the fear of a reprimand." My mom walks into the living room and stamps her foot like a child with a tantrum.

"You get mad? If I have to hear your dad complain about my job one more time, I am going to show him what real police brutality is. I don't see what the problem is with being a police officer. I provide for my family while doing something I love." His fists were brunched with anger, but his face wasn't blown up and red yet, so I think that he is under control. My mom takes a few deep breaths before she reaches out her hand to my dad. Just at this moment, a door outisde slams. Seth and I race to the window to see this new arrival. Seth burst into laughter when he sees who it is. I, on the otherhand, try to hold back my own.

"Dad, grandma and grandpa are here." My parents look up from hugging each other.

"What?" my mom screeches. There is a knock on the door a second later. My dad goes to open the door.

"Pop, Mom. Benji? You're here? Umm, I mean welcome." My dad's surprise is audible as he falters a bit.

"Yep. How's family life treating you, big brother?" If Uncle Benji heard the surprise in Dad's voice, he ignored it brillantly.

"Great. What are you doing here? I thought you were traveling to explore India this time."

"I decided to say hello to my little nieces and nephews," he exclaims as he tries to slip by my dad into the room. My dad grudgingly moved aside to let them in.

"They are not so little anymore. I remember when they only in their pre-teens. It has been a couple of years though," says Uncle Benji as he scans the room.

"5 years to be exact," muttered my dad.

"Who is here?" said Leon as he walked downstairs.

"Lookie here. Leon, you sure are a big boy now. Must take after your old man, huh?" says  Uncle Benji as he pat Leon's shoulder.

"Uncle Benji. It's good to see you," Leon responds back, but like dad, he could barely hide his surprise. Uncle Benji moved on to the living room, heading to me.

"Who is this lovely lady here? Is that my  . . . Aitana? Hmm. You really do look like your mom everytime I see you. You know, your mom and I almost got together. You could've been my daughter." He edges closer to my mom who Dad just happened to be hugging from behind.

"Benji, don't sprout lies to my kids. We were never even close to getting together," said my mom as she closed her arms over Dad's own. 

"Gosh, Ryo. Let go of her. Don't do those things in front of the kids for goodness's sake," said Grandma Hurst as she swatted Dad's side. If only they knew, this was a normal occurrence.

"Misako, they are grown-up. They can do whatever they want. Maybe we should . . " DING! DING! Thank goodness. I think no matter what my grandpa would say the end to that sentence would be gross to even think about. I hop up and head to the door.

"I got it."  To my great relief, Devlin is standing at the door. With his goofy happy smile, he doesn't even know how he is my knight taking me away from this family mayhem.

"Who is it, Ai?"

"It's Devlin. We're going out tonight. I told you this morning," I yell back at my parents without turning around. "Devlin, wait here. I have to go get your present." I head upstairs at lightening speed, not wanting to make him wait too long with my whole family nearby. I grab my jacket and his present. Then giving him a wave for reassurance, I stop by the kitchen for the small tupperware box with his cake that I baked this morning. I am heading for the door when I hear my name. I turn around to see my whole family waiting to be introduced. Almost! I could've slapped myself. I should have prepared for his arrival.

"Devlin, meet my family. Family, meet my boyfriend Devlin Reynolds." I put my hand on the door opting for a quick getaway.

"Ai, introduce us properly to your boyfriend," says Grandma Hurst.

"Okay. The two over there on the staircase are Mr. and Mrs. Ortega, my mom's parents. The couple by the TV are Mr. and Mrs. Hurst, my dad's parents. The lady in the office suit is my aunt Palma. The guy in the Hawaii style shirt is my Uncle Benji." I give a look that says 'Satisfied?'. What is this some kind of law counsel?They keep sizing him up with their eyes. I can pratically see my aunt giving me  a thumbs up.

"Sweetheart, can I talk to your boyfriend for a second?" I want to say no to Grandpa's request, but with big, yet quick steps, he is already at our side before an answer leaves my mouth. He throws his arm on Devlin's in his usual easygoing manner. 

"You feel those muscles. I keep them in shape from my days as a firefighter. Anyways, I like you. You seem like a decent kid, but . . if you ever so much as hurt a single hair on my granddaughter's head.. hmm. . I can make arson look like an accident. Now, you two have fun tonight. I know there won't be any problems," said my grandpa. His face still smiling without a care in the world.

"Yes, sir. Goodbye." With a quick wave myself and a balancing act, I take Devlin's hand and drag him outside. We silently get in the car and pull out of the parking lot.

"Sorry about that. My familly is a mess especially when there are more of us."

"That wasn't that bad. I felt like your uncle had something to say too, judging by the looks of suspicion he was giving me, so it could have been worse."

"Let's go somewhere, so we can relax for a bit," I suggest.

"Sure. How about the park?"

"Okay." He turns and heads to the park where we first started talking.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

828K 15.8K 40
Sam Anderson has been best friends with the school player Chase Court since they were 5. But she's secretly in love with him. On the day she decided...
581K 12.8K 61
Moving to a new city was supposed to be a fresh start for Aria Davidson and her mother - but it was far from it. Gangs, rivalry, murder, bloodlust...
1.4K 78 44
I want to let go. I want to forget. I want to love him. * For sixteen-year-old Shelby Hastings, life has always been pretty good. She has always been...
17.5K 282 20
Newlywed couple Jay Hasltead and Hailey Upton's life goes out the window, shortly after Hailey gives birth to a beautiful baby girl, Jasmine. After a...