Through Him I See

By Percypeetaluver

Rachel Haynes was hopelessly in love with her best friend, Jakob Holt. Jakob considered her a little sister... More

Through Him I See
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 14

179 8 0
By Percypeetaluver

  Chapter 14

Rachel jumped at the sound of a glass dropping. “Mother?” she yelled out frantically.

Janette rushed over to her side and placed a calm hand on her shoulder, “its okay Honey it’s just me.”

Rachel laid back down suddenly reassured by the sound of her mother’s voice.

Janette stood over and smiled lightly, “I am sorry Honey I didn’t mean to wake you. I was just trying to get dinner going.”

Rachel smiled, “its okay, I probably needed to get up anyway.” She shifted over on the couch and stretched her sore arms out.

Janette patted her shoulder sweetly, “Do you need help with anything?”

Rachel sighed and shook her head; reassuring her mother that she had everything under control. Thoughts from that afternoon filled her mind hastily. She inwardly groaned and tried to dismiss them. She had more than enough things on her mind and the last thing she needed was to meditate on her and Jakobs latest argument.

“What’s for dinner? She asked; searching for an opportunity to wipe the memory from her mind.

“Well, I was thinking of making eggplant parmesan. How does that sound?” Janette called from the kitchen.

Rachel’s stomach rumbled loudly and she smiled giddily, “That sounds absolutely amazing!”

“Well good. Hey Samantha called earlier and I told her I would have you call her back as soon as you felt up to it, do you feel like talking on the phone?”

Rachel nodded, “I am in need of some girl talk.” Janette fetched her the phone and dialed Samantha’s number. She led Rachel to the office and left her to soak in some much needed girl time.

                                                                             ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Jakob pressed the ignore button on his phone for the fifth time that night. Between August and his buddies he was beyond ready to just throw his phone across the room. He still was feeling sick from that afternoon. Nothing was helping the sinking, empty feeling in his stomach. He had already downed the beer that was leftover in his fridge and he had eaten two hamburgers, the only thing they did was make him feel even sicker.

“Maybe I am fighting something,” he said aloud to himself as he leaned back into his couch.  He groaned, “For goodness sake this is so annoying, the only reason I feel this way is because I snapped at Rachel.”

He rolled his eyes and looked down as his phone rang yet again. He sighed and picked it up, “Yes?” he answered in an irritated tone.

“Well hello to you too,” August said sarcastically from the other line, “Why weren’t you answering your phone? Are you okay?”

“I am fine.” Jakob stared at his free hand; he had hoped August had forgotten about his little freak out earlier.

“Are you sure? I mean Jake you looked like you were about to either pass out of throw up earlier.”  Guess he hadn’t forgotten.

“Oh yeah that. I was just thirsty or something I guess.”

“Are you sure it didn’t have anything to do with Rachel and your little argument?”

Jakob didn’t answer. How his little brother knew him so well never ceased to surprise him.

“That’s what I thought,” August said knowingly, “Dude, just apologize or something?”

“It’s more than that August. There are just things I need to work out.”

August sighed from the other end and paused before answering thoughtfully, “I will pray that God will help you work it out.”

Jakobs shoulders tensed and he almost snapped at August, yet instead he spoke softly, “Thanks August, I really appreciate it.” The line was silent, he didn’t blame August even he was somewhat surprised by what he had said. At the moment though that is how he felt. He didn’t feel defensive or angry; it actually felt good to hear someone was praying for you.  

“You know Jakob,” August said finally speaking up, “We are having bible study at our house Thursday night. We are talking about forgiveness. If you felt like, you know joining us, I am sure everyone would love to have you.”

Jakob shuddered, he did not want to be in a crowd of do good Christians. They would never accept a drunken, partier like himself. “I am good I think; besides I am headed out to try to get a job.”

“Okay, well good luck! I will talk to you later bro,” the two boys hung up and Jakob walked into his bathroom.

  He stared at his reflection in the mirror and sighed. His impossible curly hair was slowly growing back; it was long enough now to see a bit of wave. His wide brown eyes looked weary. He chuckled humorlessly, the girls in high school and college used to swarm around him. They would run their hands down his arms and ask how often he worked out; they were quick to point out his piercing eyes and defined jaw. They all had one goal, to be with the sought after jock, to be the envy of every girl that passed by them. Most of the time he fell for it, sad thing was he couldn’t name half of the girls he dated. They never lasted long, only long enough to spend a night together and move on. If a girl was really special sometimes it would last a whopping week; that was rare.

Did he feel guilty for breaking countless hearts? For using numerous girls? The only times he ever felt guilty was when Rachel found out about them. He hated to be seen as a player in her eyes, he wanted her to see him as being perfect, not a playboy who only cared about sleeping around and having a good time. That was who he was though; there was no possible way of hiding it.

Jakob splashed water over his face and reached blindly for his towel. He patted his face dry before glancing back up at the mirror. The beginnings of a beard covered the bottom part of his face, giving him an older more mature look. He scratched his head and sighed. Girls may have thought he was once good looking but right now he was far from it. He looked thin, sickly, and older; as if he had aged in the last week. Whoever said worry aged a person quicker than anything was a genius.

He had spent more time worrying lately then he ever had in his life. Heck, he had more thoughts and emotions than he had ever had in his life!

“I am officially turning into a girl!” He exclaimed; if the guys ever heard what he was thinking they would laugh in his face. Tough old Jakob was turning into a softie.

                                          ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Rachel and Janette sat down together at the family dining table. The warm aroma of creamy cheese filled eggplant tickled Rachel’s nose causing her stomach to let out a loud hungry groan.

“Smells more than amazing mom!” Rachel exclaimed as she played with her fork impatiently. It was a rule that they were to wait until after their prayer before eating. As usual Janette was busy scurrying around doing who knows what.

Rachel had been seated at the table for fifteen minutes and every time she caught a whiff of the impossibly delicious food, she was tempted to break their rule. She felt the rough edge of her plate and placed her fork on top of it. Slowly she brought the fork to her mouth.

“Rachel you better not be eating!” Janette called from the kitchen.

Rachel groaned and let the fork drop back onto her plate with a loud clank. “You know mom, maybe we could pray then you can finish what you are doing?” she called out hopefully.

Janette scurried towards the table and smiled, “Just let me finish this one email and I will join you, I promise.”

Rachel threw her head back. It had been a long emotional first day home. She had fallen down the stairs, fought with Jakob, and talked with Samantha all in one day. Samantha had been encouraging; she was the first person Rachel ever confided in about Jakob. She was filled with helpful advice and solutions. Rachel was more than grateful to have Sam as a friend.

When they had talked today Samantha had given her countless scriptures and they shared a special moment reading the bible together, Something Rachel was grateful for considering she was not able to read it herself. Besides something about discussing your favorite scriptures with one of your best friends was really special.

“Okay honey, lets pray!” Janette said causing Rachel to jump with a start. She needed to learn how to listen and think at the same time otherwise she would never hear someone come up on her.

They said a quick prayer of thanksgiving and quickly dug into the meal. Rachel sighed in content as she shoved the last bite into her mouth.

“I swear mom you make the best eggplant parmesan!” She said between a bite.

Janette chuckled heartily and stood up to clear the dishes, “Why thank you! Do me a favor and please don’t talk with your mouth full, it’s incredibly unattractive and you are spitting food everywhere.”

Rachel pursed her lips and rolled her eyes; her mother had not changed one bit. She was secretly grateful for it; the last thing she wanted was for everyone to treat her differently. She had enough challenges as it was; waiting for people to warm back up to her was not something she wanted to face.

The phone rang loudly and Janette rushed to get it. “Rachel!” she called loudly from the other room, “It’s for you.”

Rachel waited as Janette brought the phone to her. She mumbled a quick thanks and brought the device up to her ear.

“Hello?” she spoke loudly.

“Hey Ray!” Jakobs mischievous voice spoke from the other line.

“Jakob!” Rachel exclaimed surprisingly.

“Yeah, are you doing okay?” His voice expressed concern; a tone that caused her to feel light and warm.

“I am not quite as sore. Thank you for asking.”

“That’s good,” he said, he breathed out as if he were trying to say something else.

“Yes it is,” Rachel smiled widely, “Um, were you wanting something? I mean it’s totally sweet if you just wanted to check up on me it just seemed like you, um, wanted to say something?”

“Oh yes!” Jakob exclaimed, “So if you are feeling up to it I want to take you out Thursday night, sort of as a welcome home thing.”

Rachel smiled widely and twirled a piece of her hair around her finger. Thursday was in three days. “I would love to!”

Jakob sighed suddenly relived, “Great! Is five a good time?”

“Awesome!” Rachel said good bye to him and hung up suddenly feeling like a giddy school girl.

Janette stood in the doorway her hands placed on her hips, “Who was that?”

Rachel placed her hand in her lap and tried to wipe the smile from her mouth, “Oh it was just Jake, he, uh, wanted to take me to dinner Thursday night. Is that okay?”

Janette sighed loudly, “I don’t know about that, but I guess you can go as long as he promises to take good care of you.”

“Oh of course he will!” Rachel blurted out loudly.  She quickly covered her mouth embarrassedly and twirled her hair trying to act nonchalantly.

Little did she know her mother was smiling just as widely, trying to contain her excitement for her sweet daughter. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 82.9K 68
how far would you go . . . for someone you love? ♔ Levi steps forward, placing himself between me and Jack. Like he's protecting me from him. But I d...
47.5K 6.2K 73
Dawn Smith was very bright and always managed to put smiles on anyone's face. Unfortunately, all that changed when she was diagnosed with a deadly il...
2.9M 75.1K 25
Naomi and Lucas used to be closer than most people could ever dream of being. They were best friends but that all changed when, the summer between t...
995K 22.9K 33
Being the only girl in a house full of boys is hard! Not only does she have to fend for herself in a house full of testosterone, she has to live with...