Sugar, Spice and a pinch of F...

By PaigeDaniels

Jessica Aubry is your typical 17 year-old high school student. She goes to school and has to deal with troubl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Sneak peek
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
FAQs and My Replies
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Vote for the Cast! :))
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Facebook Page
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52 (The End?)
Chapter 53 (Epilogue)
Author's Note
Sneak Peak
The Sequel!
Editing
Review

Chapter 49

24.6K 198 13
By PaigeDaniels

---------- Chapter 49 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)   

“Haden?!” Alex shouts, shaking my shoulders roughly.

I snap out of my reverie and shake my head a couple of times. I’m on my knees outside of my room. What the hell just happened?!

I look up at Alex confusedly, but the moment I do, I realise Matt’s staring down at me, looking concerned.

Matt is alright?

               “Matt...you...you’re okay?” I ask uncertainly.

               “Yes? Are you?” he questions back, looking worried.

               “I am. I don’t know what just happened...but it was like I caught a glimpse into the future or something. I was in the room and Callum was there...but he stabbed you. And you were dying,” I murmur, closing my eyes, trying to figure out what just happened.

I’m not a seer. I can’t look into the future. It’s a talent Enmortals rarely possess. The only known one to posses the sight is my mother. We’re considered too tainted a race to be blessed with such a gift.

               “Who’s Callum?” Alex interrupts my thoughts.

               “Sorry. Um, if what I just thought I experienced is in fact true, then the person we’re after is a Wraith. He goes by the name Callum,” I murmur distractedly.

Now, if it wasn’t a vision of the future, there’s only one other possibility. This Wraith, Callum, somehow has the ability to manipulate what one thinks is reality. That would make sense. How else would he have managed to eliminate Moira so effortlessly or to capture Carter?

               “A wraith. Here? But that can’t be! I was there at the last stand! We won!” Alex muses, pacing.

               “I’m willing to bet he can hear us right now, Alex. I don’t understand it either. But I plan to enlighten myself. Oh! And a warning, the wraith we’re dealing with is obviously a powerful one. I have a feeling his ability is manipulating the things people see,” I warn quietly.

Alex and Matt exchange an uneasy look before nodding tightly. I know how they’re feeling. We’re in pretty deep trouble. How can we differentiate between reality and Callum’s ability?

Steeling myself once again, I throw the door open for what feels like the second time today.

               “Haden!” Emily’s sob reaches me before I even manage to take in my surroundings.

In a second I’m by her side. She’s kneeling protectively by Anderson who’s pale and breathing shallowly.

               “What happened?” I demand.

               “Anderson was trying to protect Jessy...” Emily stammers before breaking off.

               “Is Jessy alright?” I ask while I try to assess the damage to Anderson. I can’t see what’s physically wrong with him. But he’s fading. He’s pale and cold and looks like he’s in unbearable pain.

               “She’s okay. The boy has her,” Emily murmurs, as she squeezes Anderson’s hand. “Everything is going to be okay Andy. Haden’s here now,” she tells him soothingly.

               “Hey old friend,” I murmurs softly. “I need you to close your eyes. I’m not much of a healer, but I can try.”

Anderson nods weakly and closes his eyes while I do the same. Healing is complicated. I’m don’t have the natural predisposition to heal. I’m not gentle enough. But that hasn’t stopped my mum from trying to teach me. I can mend simple wounds. Whatever Anderson is undergoing is definitely above me. I can lessen his pain though.

With the utmost concentration, I do exactly what I was thought. The balance of powers and the envisioning of the healing lights all come naturally to me. After what must have been ten minutes of healing, I’m exhausted! I can’t go on.

I open my eyes, peering down at my old friend with regret. I wish I could help him more, but I can’t. My body feels weak and my vision is slightly blurry. This is why I hate healing. I always feel weak after! And I know it’s stupid to make myself vulnerable, especially now, but what else could I do? I have a feeling that had I not done something, Anderson wouldn’t have been able to hang in there any longer.

Anderson’s eyes flutter open. He still looks weak and pale, but there’s slightly more spark in his eyes. He seems to be in less pain too.

               “Emily, I need you to take Anderson back to Persephone! Get him to a healer. Quickly,” I instruct, my voice slurring a little.

               “But Haden...we can’t just leave,” she murmurs helplessly.

And then it hits me! Emily and Anderson could have disapparated back to Persephone with barely any notice. They’ve only remained here to protect everyone else.

               “No. Go! We’ll take it from here,” I whisper, giving her a nod.

She stills looks less then certain but as a low moan escapes Anderson’s lips, Emily quickly makes up her mind. In the next instant the both of them have disappeared and it’s only Matt, Alex and I in the room.

               “Where’s this Callum guy and Jessy?” Matt wonders out loud.

               “I don’t know. But I sense Carter in the room,” I murmur.

I get back to my feet unsteadily and shuffle towards the bathroom. Alex and Matt trail behind me, both on high alert. If whatever I saw was even partially true, Carter isn’t going to be in any state to try anything stupid.

I throw the bathroom door open. Carter’s lying on his side in the foetal position. He’s still breathing. Shallowly, but he’s alive. I kneel down beside him and turn him over. His face is bloody and he’s basically unconscious.

               “Did Emily and Anderson leave already?” Callum’s already familiar voice drifts towards me, making me jump up in shock. I whirl around only to find him holding Jessy securely by his side as he watches me, grinning. “I’m assuming you already know my name and what I am, prince.”

               “I do. Neat little ability you have there. Must be pretty uncommon for a wraith to have such a trivial and passive power,” I spit.

               “Half an hour ago, you didn’t think it was passive as you watched your friend die. Would it change your mind if I made you watch it a second time? This time for real?” he threatens easily.

               “How is it even possible that you’re alive?!”Alex growls, losing all his patience.

               “Ah, the general. You were there at the massacre. How many women and children did you single handedly kill oh mighty hero!” Callum smirks coldly.

               “None of them were innocent. Wraith’s are abominations. Mistakes. I merely did what was right. I took care of the mistake,” Alex spits snidely.

Callum grins before turning back to me. “How is it all Enmortals are so self righteous? Is that what you’re thought? That you are the superior race?”

Jessy whimpers slightly and despite my efforts not to let myself look at her, I do! I was hoping that by avoiding eye contact, I would be able to keep my head. Too late for that now.

Jessy’s in the same white towel, and her legs are covered with blood, but she isn’t blindfolded. She’s gagged though and stares at me with so much fear on her face that I can feel myself beginning to tremble slightly.

               “Let her go Callum,” Matt instructs softly.

               “No, I quite enjoy her company. Do you know the best part about this girl? She has no clue how important she is. She doesn’t realise that she’s your only weakness. And anyone who has her in their grasps, effectively have you. How very irresponsible of you prince. You should never have fallen for someone who is unable to protect herself,” he chastises softly.

               “Enough talk! Release her or I’ll show you why I’m the general of the Enmortal armies!” Alex barks, his hands shaking in his fury.

               “Ah, general, you’re exactly how I thought you would be. You’re eager for war, but you don’t understand your enemy. Perhaps the royal advisor could enlighten you.”

Alex turns his gaze towards Matt who seems to have just realised something. “We can’t defeat him!” he finally announces.

               “Nonsense!” Alex shouts, taking a step forward.

               “Stop!” I order softly and Alex immediately halts much to Callum’s amusement. “Listen to Matt.”

               “Alex, I don’t doubt that you could kill him. But we’re in the realm of the mortals! In order to destroy a wraith soul, an enmortal soul will have to be destroyed as well.”

He’s right of course. One of us would have to willingly sacrifice ourselves in order to eliminate Callum. And since I’ll never ever let Alex or Matt do it...I’ll have to.

Jessy will be crushed and all...but it isn’t like I’d be permanently dead. I’ll still exist. I’ll only be limited to Persephone, but I’m sure Matt or Alex would bring her down often. We could still carry on as normal.

Jessy seems to be able to read my thoughts, because in the next second she’s thrashing around in Callum’s grip and tears are streaming down her face. She watches me intently though as if worried the moment she looks away, I’ll do something stupid.

               “It’s okay baby! I know what I’m doing,” I whisper.

               “Ah, so the prince is willing to sacrifice himself?” Callum mutters scornfully. “What a sorry excuse for a prince. Dictate! Command one of your servants to do it! You know you want to! You have Jessica to live for! What do they have?” he asks jeeringly.

               “You can’t Haden!” Matt declares, as if that will stop me.

               “I won’t allow you!” Alex adds.

               “I’ve never needed your permission to do anything,” I remind them, smiling slightly.

I take a step forward with my arms raised. I keep walking till I’m a foot away from Callum and Jess. I close my eyes, and in the next moment, my gleaming sword is in my arms. I raise it high into the air, with the blade pointed at myself.

Jessy thrashes around and both Matt and Alex stand rooted to the spot. Just as I’m about to bring the sword down, Callum sniggers. “You honestly believe it’s that simple?” he asks cryptically.

In one graceful movement he throws Jessy against the wall at the same time, his fingers lock in on my wrists. Jessy crashes into the wall and sinks to the floor, her eyes fluttering close from the impact. I can barely register this before Callum guides my hand downwards.

The pain is unbelievably little. I feel the steel enter my abdomen and while I should be screaming in agony, I barely feel a thing.

There’s definitely something wrong.

The wound can’t kill me, but I feel myself losing balance and falling backwards. The back of my head smashes into the floor and still I barely feel a thing. It takes me a moment to realise it, but I’ve been immobilised.

I can’t move, I can barely feel anything, that’s why I’m not in pain.

I now understand what Callum is doing. He knows I’m not going to die. He wants me to watch before he has the pleasure of ending me. I’ll be his last, his masterpiece, and I’ll have to watch as he gets rid of the others, one by one.

Poor Callum. He doesn’t realise that this immobilisation will only last for less than five minutes. I’ll be back on my feet in no time.

And this time, the first blow must be on him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.2K 900 22
**This was my first ever book from years ago. Expect some cringe moment as well as some errors** Megan was a 17 year old human. She had long black ha...
207 129 29
"What's it like being a vampire?" I shrugged, feeing the stab wound closing. "I should be dead, but I'm still seventeen." *** When the highly hunted...
32.5K 2.1K 42
(Book #1 of the Keepers series) If being the new girl in a small town wasn't enough of a reason for everyone to stare and gossip, try adding the str...
26.5K 915 64
a teen wolf fan fic in which 16 year-old Aaliyah Dunbar battles the supernatural while trying to survive high school. She finds out the truth of her...