Chapter 7

---------- Chapter 7 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “What’s cookin’ good lookin’?” a familiar voice greets as I’m day dreaming. Okay, yeah, so maybe I was reliving the kiss from yesterday. It was perfect, all right? So sue me!

I look up, and nearly gasp in shock when I see who’s standing opposite me in the cafeteria. Yup, you guessed it; Reid!

               “You didn’t come yesterday!” I blurt out in my confused state. I had basically convinced myself that Reid was just part of my imagination.

               “Oh. Yeah. I was busy yesterday,” he answers cheerfully, sitting himself down. “So how goes it?”

               “What?” I ask in return.

               “Life, you know...it’s basically ‘how are you’ only less cliché,” he explains, taking a huge bite of his sandwich.

               “Oh. Good. Yeah, real swell...I’m grounded though,” I mutter darkly, still pissed off at that. I mean I totally get why Haden did that...it’s just...he’s 2 years older than me! That doesn’t really make him that powerful a guardian, right?

               “Bummer! You see, there’s this play. And auditions are tonight. I was kinda hoping you’d come? Moral support and all, you know?” Reid murmurs, smiling warmly.

               “Is it like a school event?” I ask hopefully. “Maybe you could help me convince my boys that it’s a compulsory thing? Oh, do you think staff will be there?”

               “Yep, most of the younger teachers will probably show up. You...don’t happen to have a thing for any staff member, do you?” he asks, suddenly very curious.

               “Oh, no! Why would you even think such a thing?!” Damn it! Why is it everyone can pick up on that?!

               “Just checking, you know? I’d hate for you to have to leave because of something like that, you know?” he clarifies, smiling easily.

               “Seriously, I’d probably end up moving anyway,” I murmur glumly.

               “Why do you say that?” he asks me sharply.

               “My boys just keep moving, and I go with them. So yeah...I’ve been to like 8 schools in the past 4 years,” I mumble.

               “That sucks! So much! At least that means you have a full six months here, right? I’m gonna make this your favourite school ever! So you absolutely have to come to the auditions tonight. Promise?” he demands, smiling sweetly.

               “I’ll try my best,” I answer.

               “No! Promise me!” he repeats, not budging.

               “Alright, alright. I promise!” I chuckle at his enthusiasm.

               “You promise what, Jess?” Alex asks, walking towards me.

               “Oh, hey man! I was just telling Jess about the school play auditions tonight. It’s like completely compulsory...” Reid informs the guys, faking innocence.

               “Weird, nobody’s informed us about that,” Haden murmurs, suspiciously, his eyes fixed on me.

               “Well, you guys aren’t exactly high school students. So I guess it isn’t compulsory for you?” Reid tries, taking another huge bite of his sandwich. “Since you guys don’t have to attend, I could send Jess home once it’s done,” Reid continues, with his mouth full, making Matt shudder slightly.