Chapter 48

A/N: I haven't edited this part yet. But I'm posting it here anyway. Sorry for all the mistakes and all. I'm really tired and I'll check through it tomorrow! :)

---------- Chapter 48 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)

               “Haden!” Alex shouts, grabbing onto my arm. We’ve just pulled up about two houses down from the mansion. “You can’t just march in there! We have to make a plan!”

Matt stares at Alex in confusion for a moment before quickly agreeing.

               “I have a plan. You two stay out here and plan all you like. I’m going in there,” I growl, yanking my arm free. The moment I’m free, I make a mad dash for the mansion. I don’t have a moment to spare, especially not to listen to this crap about plans!

I throw the double doors open, scanning the foyer. Obviously nobody’s in here. It wouldn’t make much sense to keep people captive where just anyone may see them.

I jog through the rest of the downstairs, and sure enough, there’s not a soul in sight. The mansion is in perfect condition. Not even a single glass is out of place. If I didn’t know what to expect, I would think of today as any normal day at home.

Once I’m done scouting out the first floor, Matt and Alex join me. Both of them have grim expressions on their faces and I know for a fact that they’re about to try to talk me into planning this out with them.

               “I need your help. Scout out the first floor for me, please. I need to go check the second floor. If I find anything, I’ll wait for you guys. Then we can make a plan,” I lie blandly already hurtling up the stairs. This should buy me a few minutes to tear down the second floor.

I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach though that I’m going to find everyone on the top floor, in my room. It would make the most sense. Yet, I can’t help but throw every single door on the second floor open, hoping someone managed to hide or something.

It looks like whoever this psychopath is, he has rounded up the entire household and God knows who else upstairs.

I can’t help but pause before throwing Jessy’s door open. I know she’s definitely upstairs. My mind automatically flashes back to the night her family was sentenced five years ago.

I head up the stairs unsurely. I’m already messed up! How could I hurt Dominique? And Jessica, why wasn’t she with the rest of the family? How could an assignment go so wrong?

My orders were simple, eliminate the family, leave Dominique defenceless and alone. That’s all I had to do! And even then, I messed up! Everything was going perfectly! I made friends with the boy. I wormed my way into his life and the life of his family. They adored me, every single one of them. Gaining their trust was the easiest part.

What I didn’t plan was that the little girl would affect me so much! Jessica Aubry is truly a wonder. She’s naive to the extreme, and yet, she’s so unbelievably astute! She constantly leaves me feeling off-balance and she’s only 12! I don’t understand how anyone would think of Dominique as the more important member of the family after they meet Jessica. There’s something about this girl!

But I steeled myself. I had to. So today, when I walked through the front door of their tiny home, ready to carry out my assignment, I knew what I would have to do. I was prepared to do it. I had already told Dominique everything; about Enmortals and Reapers and Death Dealers. He understood.