Chapter 18

---------- Chapter 18 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                   "Jessica? Is something the matter?" Carter asks, wrapping his arm around my waist. 

I've made up my mind. I am going to run away with Carter. The boys have lied about so much to me, how can I be sure they are telling me the truth about Carter? For all I know they could just hold a grudge against him or something. 

                   "No, I'm alright," I murmur, steeling my nerves.

                   "I'm really glad you agreed to come with me," Carter admits, nuzzling my neck. I lean against him for support. 

I know the boys will never forgive me if I do this. Yet, I feel like I need to go. I need to know for sure that Carter does love me and that he will take care of me. 

By this time, we were already in the parking lot, mere feet away from Carter's sleek BMW. He holds the door open for me, and I slide onto the leather seat. 

Carter starts the engine, and the car purrs to life. He hits the accelerator and within minutes we're on the highway. 

                   "Where to?" Carter asks, breaking the silence. 

                   "I don't know. I didn't think that far," I admit quietly. 

                   "Neither did I," he confesses, grinning easily. 

                   "What do you think about New York?" he asks after another mile or so. 

                   "Wouldn't it take forever to get there?"

                   "Yes," he replies evenly. "At least this way I get to spend the night with you," he murmurs huskily. 

My heartbeat kicks up a notch. Carter and I alone at night? A shiver of anticipation runs down my spine. In fact I swear my entire body is tingling. 

                   "Sweetie, your pants is vibrating, I think you're getting a call," Carter murmurs, trying to stop himself from smirking. 

Right. Obviously I wasn't actually tingling. My phone was merely vibrating. How embarrassing!

                   "Hello?" I mutter into my phone. 

                   "Heya chica! Heard that you're back in the mansion. Could I swing by later tonight? Maybe we could catch a movie and dinner or something?" Reid says cheerfully from the other end of the line. 

                   "No can do, Reid. I'm kinda not staying in the mansion anymore," I mumble. 

                   "What do you mean?!" he demands immediately. 

                   "Okay well, I was going to call you when I was already where I'm heading, but since you called...Reid, don't freak out, but I'm running away with Carter."

                   "What?!" he demands so loudly that I have to hold the phone away from my ear. "Tell me you're kidding!"

                   "I'm not," I answer unnecessarily. 

                   "I'm telling Haden and the others," he threatens. 

                   "Go ahead. You have no idea where I'm going. Besides, I already have a head start," I have to resist the urge to curse at him for playing the tattler card. 

                   "Jessica! Please?" he begs, almost breaking my heart. 

                   "I'm sorry. But I've made up my mind," I murmur weakly before hanging up. 

Carter throws me a questioning look, as if to ask whether I was okay. I nod my head slightly and studiously turn my attention to staring glumly out the window. 

Barely twenty minutes later, my phone begins vibrating again. I check my caller ID and sure enough it's Alex calling. Reid must have told the guys. I gotta admit though, I am kinda surprised that Haden isn't the one calling. 

                   "Hey Alex," I mumble quietly, ready for the lecture. 

                   "Jess? I'm sorry we left you at the mansion alone. But we had to get Haden to the hospital. I just thought I should tell you in case you went downstairs looking for us," he clarifies, his voice strained. 

                   "Wait! What?! Is Haden alright?!" I nearly shriek causing Carter to swerve the car in shock. 

                   "You didn't realize we were gone? I shouldn't have called then. I'm sorry," he murmurs. 

                   "No! Don't be silly. What happened? Why is Haden in the hospital?" I demand fighting to keep my voice even. 

                   "He over stressed himself, that's all. All the walking around this morning didn't do him any good. But don't worry, he just needs some stitches and he'll be fine," Alex murmurs persuasively, slightly too convincing. 

                   "If it's as simple as that, why do you sound so tensed?" I demand, my heart racing for an entirely different reason now. 

                   "It's nothing. Much anyway. He wants to see you though. He keeps mumbling your name," he explains. 

                   "Can I talk to him?" I ask quietly. 

                   "He's in the OR getting the stitches done. He's been under a lot of morphine. He lost a lot of blood and he's in immense pain. Anyway, could I come fetch you from the mansion?"

                   "No!" I answer quickly. "I'll find my own way there. Tell me the moment he's out if the OR," I instruct before hanging up. 

                   "Carter, I need to go back," I murmur softly, not meeting his gaze. 

A flash of anger crosses his face and he just accelerates further. 

What did I get myself into?