Chapter 19

---------- Chapter 19 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “You’re frightened,” Carter states unnecessarily.

               “Yes”

               “Why?” he asks, no curiosity in his voice at all. His voice is...dead.

               “Because I think I’m in trouble. It seems like you have no intention of listening to me. So now I’m wondering whether or not  the guys right when they warned me about you?” I answer truthfully, shocking myself.

Carter remains silent, he just keeps driving. Heart hammering, I try my best to not show any fear. Why give him the satisfaction right?

My phone vibrates just then. I slide it open and answer Alex with a shaking voice.

               “Hi”

               “Jess! Thank God! Where are you?!” he demands, speaking so fast, it’s almost difficult to understand him.

               “Alex, I made a huge mistake,” I murmur, steadying my voice.

               “What are you on about?! Where are you Jessica?”

Silence. There’s no way I can answer him without my voice breaking. And that would just worry him even more. I can’t do that to him or Matt. No, they need to keep level headed and take care of Haden.

               “Jessica?! Jess?!” he murmurs frantically. I can almost imagine him repeatedly checking his phone to make sure he hadn’t lost connection.

               “I’m sorry,” I mumble softly before sliding my phone shut.

Carter throws me a sidelong glance. His eye brows raised, he’s achingly beautiful.

               “You didn’t tell him that you’re with me,” Carter remarks, completely at ease.

               “No,” I agree. “I don’t want to worry him”

               “Are you not afraid of what I may do to you?” he questions, for once genuine curiosity in his voice.

               “I am” I answer truthfully once again.

               “Fascinating!” he murmurs to himself, stroking his chin, deep in thought. “Dial Alex back, would you?” he instructs after a moment.

               “No,” I answer defiantly.

               “You are in no position to bargain with me. You will do as I say,” he threatens quietly.

               “Or what?!” I spit.

He shakes his head slightly, the ghost of a smile on his face. “You know, when Haden told me that he would be your guardian, I had no idea what he was talking about. I couldn’t understand why he would want to dirty his hands. After all, you were nothing but an insignificant child,” he murmurs, more to himself than me.

               “You lie,” I accuse softly.

               “Oh? Please do explain,” he entreats with his hypnotic voice­.

­               “Haden wouldn’t have told you,” I mumble.

               “Oh, sweet, ignorant Jessica. Haden and I used to be inseparable, hard as it may be to believe. He’s my cousin,” Carter informs me, grinning widely.