Chapter 37

------- Chapter 37 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

II

Oh my god! Two lines!

I grab the little box I had chucked on the floor and snatch the instruction sheet for the hundredth time.

What you need to know about this Pregnancy Test

How to use the test

When should you use this test

Results

If a single bar appears on the result window, you are, unfortunately not pregnant.

However, if a double bar appears, congratulations mother-to-be! Be sure to avoid things that are bad for your baby and pregnancy (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs and even some medication. If you take a regular medication, please consult your physician immediately to find out what you need to do)

Oh my god! I’m on the verge of a full out panic attack! I throw the box along with the instructions at the far end of the bathroom in my agitation. What am I going to do?!

Relax Jessica! You have prepared yourself for this, remember?!

No! I just pretended to! I didn’t actually think I’d be pregnant!

Oh god! Oh god! Oh god!

What do I do?

How do I even get an abortion?!

Deep breaths! That’s the key! I need to stay calm and think this out logically. Apparently when you’re pregnant you should avoid rigorous exercise, right? What if I take up...rock climbing? Or body building or weight lifting or something? I’d have a miscarriage, right? Maybe that’s what I should do...nobody will know and it can’t be more scary than an abortion.

I wash my face with cold water and throw the pregnancy test away, must hide all the evidence from my nosy co-inhabitants! I need to be sure first. Pregnancy tests are known to be unreliable. I should go get one more, or maybe two? How about three?

Taking a deep breath, I quickly change into my skinny jeans and t-shirt. I duck out of the bathroom and run down the stairs. I need to go to a pharmacy, now!

               “Where you off to so early on a Saturday morning?” Alex calls sleepily, stepping out of his room.

               “Morning run,” I call over my shoulder, already in the living room. I lace my shoes, grab my coat and off I go.

               “Oi! Where are you off to?” Haden’s voice reaches me, making me freeze in my tracks.

He heads down the driveway, wrapped in his thick coat with only a pair of shorts on. He studies me curiously as he closes the distance.

               “Morning run,” I repeat a little less confident this time.

Haden takes my hand in his and looks down at me severely. “You never go for a morning run. What’s this about?” he demands.

               “I just want to think,” I whisper, dropping my gaze.

               “Jess...you’ve been acting weird ever since the Formals and...that night,” he broaches carefully.

               “No I haven’t,” I defend weakly.

               “Okay, it’s been three days...but you haven’t talked to me, at all. You stay locked in your room...so are you mad at me?” he asks uncertainly.