Chapter 11

---------- Chapter 11 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “Jessica?” my mother screeches from the downstairs. I’m so tempted not to answer. Maybe I could fake passing out or something? “Jessica!” another shriek. Maybe it’s important?

               “Yes?” I call back, internally kicking myself for being so weak.

I hate this place! I really, really hate this place! I used to think moving to a new school every six months was hell. Living here makes all the moving seem like a walk in a park!

               “Get down here! You have a visitor!” the vile lady commands.

Seriously? A visitor? Yeah, right! One week ago, I was expecting visitors; my boys. But they blew me off and just disappeared. I’m pretty sure that woman just wants me to come down so she can make me clean something up.

It’s like I’m the maid here! I’m treated sub-human!

What was Haden thinking? He couldn’t hate me so much to actually send me here, could he? There’s no way in hell these people are my family...no way! So why did Haden lie to me?

               “Are  you deaf, girl?! Get down here!” that same screech again.

               “I’m coming!” I holler back, casting a longing glance at the comfort of my room.

It’s basically a not-so-glorified closet. I have a tiny little bed, an even tinier table and no closet. Yup, and that pretty much makes up my room. But it’s safer in there and anywhere else in this house.

I walk down the stairs slowly and into the living room. My mother, Mrs Gertrude Daniels, stands at the door, beside an awkward looking Reid.

I stand shocked. How could Reid have found me?

               “Hey,” he murmurs after a heart beat.

               “Hi,” I mumble back.

Gertrude shakes her head in annoyance and stalks off to the kitchen, no doubt preparing some form of torture in there for me.

               “I followed you,” Reid admits after a moment. And I just nod my head in acknowledgement.

               “Don’t you want to know why?” he asks, seeming a little irked.

               “I’m guessing you’re going to tell me anyway,” I retort softly.

               “Yeah, you’re right,” he grins sweetly before sobering down. “Can we go up to  your room to talk? You know, in private?” he asks.

               “Yeah, sure,” I answer, leading him up the stairs into my little room.

               “This is your room?” he asks incredulously.

               “Uh huh. Expecting something else?” I ask.

               “Kind of. I always factored you as the girl who lived in the lap of luxury. Probably a huge king-sized bed, silk sheets, big airy room, huge wardrobe, expensive carpet, joint bathroom...you know the drill,” he murmurs, looking around my room.

               “Yeah, that was what my room used to be like,” I mumble, my mind flashing on my previous home.

               “So...why did you get downgraded? And where are your brothers? Where’s Haden? I’m here to talk to him more than anything,” Reid admits, rubbing his palms against his black jeans.