ROMANOGERS: PAST TO PRESENT

By Demigod4_life

After the war with Ultron there was a few simple months of peace. That is until a mission stirs up some stran... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
NOTIFICATION
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
FUDGING IMPORTANT!!!!
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Important A/N
Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One: Alternate Ending for Civil War
Bonus; Chapter Fifty Two: Spider Boy
Bonus; Art for me please!
Bonus; Chapter Fifty Three: King Chilli
Important
BOOK TWO IS HERE!

Chapter Eight

1.8K 66 19
By Demigod4_life

Natasha's POV

We were in the middle of our flight to the first location in Russia. For the most part the jet flew smoothly only an occasional bump when we hit turbulence. Unlike usual we weren't in our suits. We weren't expecting a fight, our main job was to get in and out. To figure out as much information as possible and leave. We would come back if anything was discovered once we learned more of the details.

"How much farther Mr.Stark?" An agent asked their voice clouded in static as it came from the headsets.

"Please agent Carter call me Tony, and in answer to your question about five minutes." Another two jets full of agents were flying a minute or so behind us. Fury had made it clear that the more people we had working with us the more area we could cover. I had made it clear though that we couldn't attract to much attention. Un-strapping my seatbelt I walked steadily over to one of the weapons crate that was secured in the corner. Opening it I rifled through the contents before finding a knife that I strapped to my thigh, before grabbing two pistols one of which I tucked into my waist band the other was secured to my other leg.

"Isn't it a little over the top to bring weapons?" Steve asked looking confused.

"Believe me these woods are dangerous, you do not want to go unarmed." I replied steadily. He seemed to ponder my words before slowly reaching down as if he would get caught before picking up his shield and resting it in his lap. Making my way back to my seat I tapped my foot in anticipation. I wasn't sure what we would find but hopefully it wasn't anything that would confirm my suspicions. Taking the opportunity to quell my nerves I studied everyone around me.

Clint was staring at his shoes, thick boots, and was humming a pleasant tune. He wore a long trench coat like jacket with his usual leather pants and tight shirt. His bow rested at his side and occasionally he would pluck its string. Thor was cracking his knuckles every couple of seconds obviously bored or trying to take his mind off of how hungry he was. Thor wore his usual clothes saying they were more comfortable but had agreed to not wear his curtain of a cape. It took some convincing but everyone agreed that the bright red might attract unwanted attention. Where we were going wasn't to far from the public with a few settlements nestled deep in the woods. Steve sat with his shoulders hunched and hands clasped together. It looked as though he was praying, and maybe he was. His outfit of choice was thick denim pants and a pair of working boots. He wore a plain white shirt and his usual brown leather jacket.As for me I wore simple grey cargo pants with thick black boots and black T-shirt. Scarlett wore her trademark red jacket with tight thermal pants and boots.

"Prepare for touch down." Tony informed just as the jet swayed in a gentle rocking movement until there was a soft bump as the landing gear touched the ground. Unclicking my seat belt I stood, did a quick stretch, and stepped onto the lowering ramp. Scarlett was quick to follow and I could see the eagerness on her face. She had told me many times before that her accent had been mistaken for being Russian and how she wanted to see the place people mistook for her home.

"You coming boys?" I called back taking my first step into the snow that covered the ground in a thick blanket.

"Don't run off just yet Romanoff we need to discuss the plan." Fury informed, his voice coming from my earpiece.

"Awww!" I whined in mock irritation. Hearing the sound of another engine I looked up to see the other two jets lowering steadily into separate clearings. Moments later we were all gathered around Fury. We totalled around twenty people in all.

"Here's what we are going to do." Fury called out speaking with an ever present authoritative tone. "We will fan out across the area. Everyone has a partner so you will go in pairs of two. We're looking for anything unusual or out of the ordinary. If you find anything use the small tablets I will be giving you shortly and take a picture. Tony will remain with the jets and sift through the images you send him. He will let you know of its importance. Before we leave everyone please make sure you earpieces or on." After the equipment check and the passing out of tablets we were assigned our partners.

"Carter and Eframson. Smith and Jensen." He went on to pair off groups of agents before deciding our partners. " Thor and Ryder. Steve and Lowe. Scarlett and Beasley. Natasha and Maria."

I couldn't help but smile at who my partner was. This was going to be good. I had worked with Maria multiple times before and she was easily my favorite agent. Once everything was settled we split into our groups. Once given the okay by Fury I set off in the direction I was given. The snow crunched under our boots as we forced our way through it walking a few feet apart. I looked around and saw another two groups of agents both to my right. To my left was Steve and his agent Lowe.

"Hey Maria find anything interesting yet?" Lowe called. She made a disgusted noise in the back of her throat.

"Seeing as how we are barely three minutes in no." She replied back.

"Oh, that's cool. What do you think we'll find?" He asked loudly again. Still focusing on the ground I dismissed rabbit tracks and scat from animals. That was nothing of importance.

"Lowe, I have no idea." Maria yelled in exasperation. There was a pause before I sensed another question coming.

"You know after this we could go to the movies or something." He pressed. Maria clenched her jaw and I could tell she was trying to keep her cool.

"Sorry no interested."

"Really? We could see something you want. How about it?" He was very insistent that was for sure.

"No." Was the short reply he received.

"Oh come on would y-" after his continuous prodding and questions I was just ready for him to shut up.

"Mr.Lowe could you maybe shut that big mouth of yours? From what I can tell your skills in the field are better than your ability to flirt." Not having realized that my earpiece was on a chorus of laughter followed my words including Maria's. From his silence I knew I had shut him up good. "That's better now I won't throw up."

"Well said Romanoff." Steve said putting in his two cents worth. He sounded thankful and I wondered what it would be like to have someone that annoying as a partner. Hours ticked by and I hadn't noticed anything strange. We would have to turn back soon since a large ridge blocked our path and it was getting late. As the day went on Maria started to get cold and I was starting to lose interest. From what I could tell nothing of importance had been found by anyone so why waste our energy? When we were about to turn back I heard a twig snap. It's loud crack a warning causing Maria and I to freeze where we stood. We heard the sound of large footsteps coming quickly in our direction. Both of us reacted instantly drawing our guns. Standing back to back we scanned the woods for a threat. Suddenly a blur caught my eye just before I was knocked off of my feet and into the snow.

Reacting as soon as the thing touched me I used its own momentum against it and caught hold of its throat. Rolling I got to me feet after pushing the bulk aside. On second notice I realized what had tackled me was a young man. He caught sight of Maria's gun trained on him. Slowly he raised his shaking hands in a defensive manner. Maria lowered her gun slightly and the boy scrambled to his feet his eyes flicking about nervously as he brushed the snow off of his thick coat.

"Who are you?" I asked causing his eyes to widen. He paused for a second seeming surprised that I spoke Russian.

"P-please I mean no harm! I swear! I was going home, to my village just over that ridge there!" He said pointing earnestly at the snowy rock face. Maria gave me a questioning look and I quickly translated the conversation.

"Why are you scared?" I questioned searching his cold blue eyes that held a burning fear.

"I was coming back from that hill over there when I noticed the smoke! The woods are on fire! It's heading for my village and I was coming to tell them. It will be upon them soon. I have to hurry!" I shook my head slightly confused.

"Wait here." I said patiently explaining to Maria my plan. Tucking my gun away I found a suitable tree and began my climb. Wiggling in and out of the branches the rough bark sliding beneath my cold hands. It reminded me of when I used to live here. One of my favorite pass times was to climb as high as I could in any tree I deemed fit. With the small breeze ruffling my hair I stood on a thick branch towards the top and taking my knife out cut a small window in the needles of the tree. At first I didn't notice anything at all but then as I looked towards the ridge I saw a swelling cloud of darkness, smoke. The cloud continued to expand and seemed to be traveling at alarming rate straight towards the small settlement.

Reacting quickly I searched for a particular branch that rested multiple feet below me. Jumping a slammed my feet as hard as I could against the branch in front of it causing it to break and tumble out of my way. Reaching out I caught the branch I had aimed for. Swinging and picking up momentum I aimed for a snow drift towards the base of the trunk. Letting go I plummeted towards the ground and relaxed my body. My feet touched the snow and I let my legs give so that I ended my landing with a role.

Springing to my feet I sprinted in Maria's direction.

"We gotta move now! Tell the team! That fire's out of control!" Her eyes seemed to pop out of her head and immediately she started relaying orders.

"Everyone listen up! We've got an out of control fire just over this northern ridge and its heading straight for a village! Priorities have changed. Get there as fast as you can and clear people out!" There was a moment of silence before agents started relaying the message to there comrades who hadn't heard.

"Cap reporting! We aren't to far away from you guys I'm on my way. I've got an idea but it'll take all of us to pull it off." He said his breath coming out slightly faster than usual he must be running.

"Shoot, let's hear it." Clint replied.

"Tony I'm sending three agents back to protect the jets. Suit up we'll need you. Clint you got any explosive arrows?" Steve asked.

"Of course." Clint said sounding appalled at the thought of not having any in his possession.

"Good you and Tony need to try and create a fire break so that the flames don't spread past the village. Thor Nat, Maria, and I will take care of clearing out the citizens. The rest of you agents need to keep the crowd contained and take them to safety." Steve said just as he raced past Maria and I.

"It would be an honor Captain." An agent replied. Lowering my head I picked up the speed easily passing Maria and gaining on Steve. I was the only one who could keep pace with him at least for a little while. Looking up Tony was flying over head with his arms hooked under Clint's arm pits. Thor rocketed out of the woods with a hammer in hand and was the first to reach the rock face. Hardly stopping I jumped up grabbing the first hand hold I could find. Steve paused at the base for Maria and had her climb onto his back before starting his assent.

"This is really embarrassing." Maria noted with a laugh as they drew level with me.

"Nonsense. It looks quite nice." Thor mused as he too climbed. With the cold rock pressing against my hands I climbed smoothly and steadily. My heart raced in anticipation. I wished to already be at the top. As I climbed I noticed the sky was getting darker as smoke invaded the open space. The fire was getting dangerously close. Continuing on my journey I felt my limbs slowly growing colder and it became harder to grasp the rock.

Reaching for my next hand hold my foot slipped off the rock and I yelped clinging on for dear life. Thor reached out and rested his hand on my back guiding me back to the rough wall of rock.

"That is a dreadful fall, I wish for you not to experience it." He said with an earnest smile.

"Thanks." I breathed my heart pounding like a drum. As the sky continued to darken we neared the top of the rock face. Crawling to my feet I observed the situation. The fire was meters away from the small wooden village that nestled on the snow covered ground. Visibility was at a low and with one look at one another we charged into the smoky haze.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 547 36
For years you have been a ghost for SHIELD, a person who deals with those outside of the law. Few know exactly who you are, but not the monster insid...
46K 1.1K 38
Natasha Romanoff had many stories she could tell. A life as an Avenger; the heroic tales of saving the Earth. A life as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent; the co...
200K 5.4K 27
Possible! Peter Parker x Reader ~β€’~ After the Death of your mother, your father has been hiding his emotions behind a shield. Once you find out who w...
61.9K 2K 74
The aftermath of Ultron leaves many people in situations they thought they'd never find themselves. Two of the avengers very own find themselves in q...