IN THE SHADOWS ─── R.Grayson

By Autumnrain20

'Just how far can one walk the path that has been set for them by others?' [Young justice] More

Prologue
0000.
000.
001.
002.
003.
004.
005.
006.
007.
008.
009.
010.
011.
012.
013.
014.
015.
016.
017.
018.
019.
020.
021.
022.
023.
024.
025.
026.
027.
028.
029.
030.
031.
032.
034.
035.
036.
037.
038.
039.
040.
041.
042.
043.
044.

033.

394 27 13
By Autumnrain20

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

SANTA PRISCA
JUNE 19, 00:00 ECT

IN AN UNDERGROUND CAVERN UNDERNEATH THE ISLAND, THE LIGHTS FLICKERED ON. Black Beetle and Deathstroke entered the area from opposite sides. They looked into the cave, and each other. Both nodding, they stood aside as their respective delegations filed in.

Shadow watched as the ambassador started the summit by inquiring about the whereabouts of the other Light members. Savage replied that they were conducting damage control to mitigate recent Reach defeats; and at any rate, those already present are sufficient.

She observed from the dark as the conversation between the two parties went on. Somewhere in between they reached a 'standoff' as Ra's stated.

Aqualad brought up a new point of concern-That Superman, Batman, the Green Lanterns and the rest of the League will soon return to Earth and sway public opinion back to their side? Vandal Savage smugly proclaimed that the League will be convicted on Rimbor thanks to a few well-placed bribes. Shadow almost scoffed, she knew the representative was a nitwit, law was bashed everywhere even in other parts of the universe.

The ambassador added that the Green Lanterns were prohibited from returning to Earth as per the Reach pact with the Guardians. He was not worried about public opinion-he could leverage on the half truths the Reach already used to discredit the League, to discredit them again.

While the conversation was ongoing, Ra's al Ghul strode toward Tigress, focusing intently on her charm. He took it, and ripped it off her neck. The spell dissipated, revealing Tigress to be Artemis, much to everyone's shock. Shadow sighed, of all people, it was most certainly Ra's who'd see through the ruse first. They had their common sense in...well common.

Ra's al Ghul explained that he recognized Tigress's amulet as a Glamour Charm, created either by Zatanna or Doctor Fate to hide Artemis's true identity. The ambassador continued to put the facts together: if Artemis is alive and acting as his lieutenant, Kaldur'ahm is in cahoots with her. Black Beetle deduced that means Aqualad has duped the Light and his own father.

Deathstroke took the shot and killed off both of them. Manta caught his son in his arms. Kaldur told Black Manta that it was too late, he's already won. With his dying breath, Kaldur released a dead-man switch he'd been holding in his hand. The device activated a hologram of Kaldur'ahm, in a prerecorded message meant for the Reach. Vandal Savage instructed Deathstroke to turn it off, but the mercenary did not know how to do it.

The Reach was exposed to the Light's deception and the ambassador erupted in anger at the revelations, calling Earthlings a pestilence and a plague. Claiming the Light was fortunate they didn't carve up the Earth with the Warworld. Vandal Savage sarcastically proclaimed that he was impressed with the threat, since the Warworld's crystal key is in his possession.

Shadow smirked as she heard those words.
Aqualad and Artemis stood up, none the worse-for-wear from Deathstroke's bullet.

"Kaldur, you're..."

"Alive. Yes."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

A FEW DAYS PRIOR

"WE NEED A PLAN" Nightwing muttered as he obsereved a Holoscreen with the Light's next phase in and she looked up at him from her spot on the roof The Light-we need to bust them, we know they're planning but it's not as simple we need to collect solid evidence to free the League members"

"What about your plan? To infiltrate them?"

"It's not that simple-" She shook her head "It is" He closed his screen and sat next to her, intrigued by what she came up with. "Your previous strategy was smart enough. Fool me once, fool me twice sort of thing" His brows furrowed as she gave him a smirk

─────⋅

THE TEAM STOOD IN THE WAREHOUSE AS EACH OF THE MEMBER GATHERED THERE FOR A DISCUSSION OF THE MAIN PLAN "Where's M'gann and Shadow?" Beast boy asked, looking around the room. Nightwing looked at the rest of the Team who waited in anticipation of his answer and he nodded "They're on with the first phase of the plan."

He looked back at the junior members and gave them the suits Shadow provided-he didn't ask how she had access "Suit up. You'll be off to Santa Prisca, an hour prior to the infiltration" He then turned to the rest of the Team "The rest of us will be on standby until the signal goes on" He then began to throughly explain the plans to each of them

Meanwhile, Shadow caught upto Deathstroke on his private plane along with Tigress. Deathstroke immediately pulled out his sword but Shadow stood still "It seems you have a death wish" She scoffed "I am not too worried, you're obsessive nature proves to be a liability" With that, she launched a dagger his way, but, he deflected it. A darkness enveloped his entire being and before he knew, he was completely unconscious as Tigress stared wide eyed "Aqualad's been briefed about the plan, I made it a personal mission to brief you"

Tigress stepped closer and Shadow pushed her in the seat "We still have an appearance to keep up, try to keep the love you so clearly have for me at bay and listen..."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

"If you would...?"

Artemis let out a sigh "...and I always heard "The Great One" was such a gentleman."

"Impossible. Deathstroke killed you both.

"Just for a little while. After all, I wouldn't want to do any permanent damage..." Miss Martian shifted back and telekinetically floated a sword at Savage's neck "To my best friends. Not when a little misdirection and Hollywood special effects will do instead."

"For we value our true friends, and unlike you, we are not short on them." The trap was sprung: Superboy, Guardian and Bumblebee emerged from the Reach entrance, while Nightwing, Batgirl, and Kid Flash entered from the Light side of the cavern "Hey there, Vandy. You miss me?" Kid Flash smirked

"Well played. Well planned." Vandal congratulated But the Light always has contingencies. I've had my fill of your interference. Do not expect to survive. Kill them all." The Brain sealed off the cave exits, and opened the ceiling. Dozens of League of Shadows agents dropped into the room, surrounding the young heroes. "Superboy and Shadow may present a problem, but we'll deal with them when the other children lie bleeding on the ground."

"Still you refer to us as children. No wonder our successes mount. You consistently underestimate us." Aqualad chided and on cue, one of the Shadows flies up, revealing himself to be Blue Beetle, and blasted the Reach soldiers with a sonic beam.

The battle is joined on all sides: as the Shadows rush to attack, they are ambushed by two of their own-Lagoon Boy and Beast Boy, clad in Shadow gear. Lagoon Boy puffs up and charges Ubu, while Beast Boy turns into a gorilla, and engages Monsieur Mallah.

Seeing all this unfold, Vandal Savage concedes Aqualad's point It is true. The Light has always underestimated these young heroes. But no more. It is time." With that, he summoned the Witch boy who took him off the Island and fully materialised, and transmuted Deathstroke's sword into a fire serpent that attacked Miss M

Vandal's egress drives Black Beetle into a rage "Cowardly meat!"

"No! Vandal has the right idea. This battle is pointless." Shadow appeared behind Ra's as he spoke "Do not resist. The heroes have no jurisdiction here." Shadow scoffed and he turned to her with a proud smirk "Ah now I see. Brilliant" Ra's praised "In the grand scheme of things, your ruse was truly admirable. Infiltrating us on our ground" He looked at her "I cannot take all the credit"

"No, but this overturn was your conceptualisation? Simply diabolical, turning us against each other. That couldn't have come to the mind of a hero now, could it?" He stepped closer, gripping her arm "Despite all what you may think, you know where you belong"

"Hell, most likely" His smirk widened and then suddenly dropped as he pulled her back just in time. Black Beetle came to stab her and Ra's took the blow instead, the immortal falling limp as she dodged the armoured alien's attacks "We'll see each other soon, my little shadow" He whispered and she heard it, though she concentrated on the fight instead with the Beetle

"Such is the fate of all meat. As will be yours" He spoke in disgust at Shadow who raised a brow "Has the wing grown back yet?"

"Master!" Ubu ran towards Ra's and lofted him up, immediately shifting his eyes to Shadow as she fought the Beetle kicking him away as Superboy took over "I have you, Master. Ubu will keep you safe." He nodded at her, eyes narrowed "The Master will be resurrected." He announced before leaving. Artemis went to stop him but Shadow stood in her way and shook her head "Let him go, it's no use stopping them" Artemis smirked "Should I let the love I have for you finally show?" Shadow smirked "In a moment-right now, Weasel boy is in need of help"

She winked as she threw a dagger towards Miss M and Lagoon Boy to free them from Klarion's serpent before fighting off several league of shadow combatants. Tim looked at her with a huge smile as they fought together and he started to make small talk "How'd you get the costumes?" She kicked back one of them "Some things are better left unsaid"

The battle ended, and the Team is victorious. However, Black Beetle declared the ambassador unfit to lead their delegation, freed the scientist, and he spirited with her towards the opened ceiling. Blue Beetle and Miss Martian attempt to intercept them, but he made his escape after shooting at them.

Despite their success, Aqualad lamented "I had hoped to end this tonight, but Savage escaped, with Klarion, as did Black Beetle and the Reach's head scientist. Luther and Queen Bee never showed, and even Ra's al Ghul will no doubt..."

"Are you kidding me? Kaldur, you won!"

"Won? Dude, you triumphed! You've crippled the Reach and literally broken the Light in half and since we holographically recorded the entire deal, we'll be able to use the bad guys' own words against them to clear the Justice League." Nightwing and Kid Flash reassured him of his victory.

Beast boy hugged Artemis tightly "Huh! What was that?"

"I'm still just so glad you're alive! And that Aqualad's not a traitor!" He turned to Nightwing with a small glare and pointed his finger "No more faking anyone's death for at least a year, ok?"

"Yeah, seconded."

"Agreed."

"Kaldur, this has been a good night. Maybe the best we've had since the 3 of us first took off for Cadmus 5-plus years ago.

"Come on. Enjoy the moment, my friend. You've earned it." Shadow noticed his expression and immediately placed an understanding hand on his shoulder "Blood isn't defining. It's only binding until it runs cold" Aqualad glanced at his still-unconscious father, and his expression softened

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

THE WATCHTOWER
JUNE 19, 05:24 EDT

THE WARWORLD UNDER SAVAGES CONTROL HAD LEFT EARTH'S ORBIT BUT A THREAT STILL LINGERED OF BLACK BEETLE. THE HEROES WITNESSED IT'S DEPARTURE. JUST AS NIGHTWING HANDED LEADERSHIP OF THE TEAM BACK TO AQUALAD, A BOOM TUBE OPENED, EXPELLING BLACK CANARY, CAPTAIN MARVEL AND ROCKETT. THE LARGE WEAPON WAS THEN ACTIVATED MUCH TO EVERYONE'S WORRY.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

SHADOW KEPT FLIPPING THROUH THE LARGE BOOK SHE HAD BEEN INTENTLY READING AS SUPERBOY, MISS M AND ADAM STRANGE WALKED INTO THE ROOM. The Kryptonian eyed the book, almost in terror at the size of it "What's that?"

"I know you weren't raised in a barn like homefolk, but I honestly assumed you knew. A book" She mused, not looking up and Adam snorted as Conner rolled his eyes "I know that I-"

"-then why did you ask?"

"Nevermind" The Kryptonian grumbled as Shadow smirked, she liked ruffling his feathers far too much "Shall we head on then?"

RIMBOR
JUNE 20, 00:16 UTC

They arrived at Rimbor just the audience members were leaving "Icon, Hawkman, we've brought new evidence... The Light and the Reach on holographic record admitting they framed the League. It should easily clear them of all charges."

"I'm sorry. You're too late."

"Late? That's impossible. Despite its quirks, Rimbor law does allow the representation of evidence as offer. It's not exactly rule book law but it is theirs. Did you take them on their offer?"

"No I didn't. I believed we had presented enough evidence to fully exonerate my clients." Shadow raised a brow "Yet, they are not exonerated. Tell me, did you get your space law degree from the universal university of incompetence?" Hawkman and Adam strange snorted slightly before clearing their throats as Icon glared at her "Since when do you know Galactic law? Aren't you twelve?"

"Since the last hour and that's 12 years older and wiser than you"

"What'd you expect, they don't listen to anything"

"That's because they don't want to listen"

"Should we stop them?" Adam shrugged "I think this is how all lawyers are"

"Request for an upturn on the dismissal and provide the new evidence, then let's see what happens"

He nodded at her suggestion and Hawkman and himself went ahead to put a request forward and unsurprisingly they agreed to see them "Your new evidence is compelling, Icon. But the High Court has already ruled."

"The fact that we even reconvened. Apologies, your Honour, but this is a confession, solidly placing blame for the attack on Rimbor on the true criminals responsible, the Light and it provides their motive...Bringing Earth to the Reach's attention."

"Yes, yes, but have you nothing more to offer?" His honour emphasised and Icon looked stumped, almost baffled as Shadow rolled her eyes, she was starting to question his credentials all together "We do have more to offer, your Honour" She stood up and began calmly.

Superboy and Miss M watched intrigued as the lawyer persona just took over

"Lovely." He sat back and observed her "My associate hadn't gathered in your previous trials what the offer meant and it was unfortunate that we had to request more of your precious time." She walked slightly to stand in front "We are people who like you, believe in justice and truth and how it should be prevailed."

She clasped her hands, beginning the offer "We do not offer much, compensatory yes, but the added factor with us is that this Court of Justice has the opportunity to make a decision in favour of the and I quote 'sworn protectors of the galaxy' meaning the decisions of the tribunal will most certainly have repercussions throughout the galaxy."

Everyone watched in anticipation at the scene unfolding up ahead "We offer opportunity. If the Tribunal demonstrates its fundamental fairness here and now, then simply imagine how many other disputes would be brought to the High Court from across the known world? The more disputes brought. The more offers the Tribunal will receive. Of course, the current balance of scales maybe tipped farther at a named stake of such an opportunity. I leave it to you, your honour"

"You are blessed with a silver tongue. An unorthodox appeal albeit a sensibly curated one in such time" He complimented, they had to wait several moments before the jury declared its verdict "We have heard your unorthodox appeal and reached a verdict. All charges are dropped, effective immediately. The former prisoners will be processed and released to your custody forthwith." Shadow had a small smirk on her face and the judge called her closer "Have you practiced the law?"

"I am a professional in my field, yes" Just not galactic, but who asked. He nodded to himself "And our compensation?" She looked at him for a moment, looking at Icon and nodded "Fifty pieces of supermanium coins. I'm aware" She pulled a small pouch and placed it on his table and he took it for himself and nodded "Good"

She walked back to Icon who gave her a smile "Now I see it. The Justice League owes its freedom and reputation to you and the Team." She nodded respectfully and Superboy, Miss Martian, and Adam Strange took take their leave and teleport back to Earth. Entrusting the welfare of the leaguers to Icon and Hawkman,

Miss M looked at Shadow with awe "It was like one of those court room dramas on tv" Shadow gave her an amused look as they walked through the Zeta Beam only to be met with another crisis.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

ROME, ITALY
JUNE 20 19:35 (GMT+2)

EARTH HAD BEEN RIDDLED WITH NATURAL DISASTERS. Black Beetle had Magnetic Field Disruptors scattered around the world. The disruptors causing a deterioration of the Earth's magnetic field, which in turn was causing all the not-so-natural disasters. Nightwing and Shadow Zeta'd to Rome, where they found themselves fighting off several drones in order to shut down the MFD device.

"You think we should trust Luther?" Shadow threw a dagger at one and crashed "Desperate times" He shut down the device successfully.
"Behind you" Shadow gestured as Dick destroyed the last drone "Thanks"

He reported the progress back as she looked around, at the city, the flower vendors and historical structures "Rome. How romantic" She muttered.

She felt herself being pinned against the wall she stood near, masked eyes staring at her though she could almost imagine the oceanic blue of them. She'd never forget. Her mask was pulled down slightly as a pair of lips were placed on her own. She was completely frozen in place. That first kiss with the person you've been dying to kiss is probably the best feeling in the world.

The way you feel when you kiss them for the first time. Like fire within your bones. Like your soul has returned to the water. Like every part of you that came from a dead star is alive again. His hand held her waist and her own encircled his neck. He then pulled away with a charming smirk "Caught you off guard yet?" She blinked, almost owlishly as her breath caught up to her. A deep rosy shade, completely uncharacteristic to her, coated her cheeks and she was certain that this man maybe the only one to make her feel as such

"Maybe in a minute"

She said as she gently pulled him for another kiss but his comm beeped and he reluctantly pulled away, with a sigh. She simply stared at him lovingly as he picked a rose from a nearby cart and offered to her with a smile and she took it. He then proceeded to answer his comm as she leaned her head back against the wall. She had never felt such a beautiful solitude in someone's existence. The peace in him calmed the storm within her.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

WALLY WEST HAD SACRIFICED HIMSELF TO SAVE THE WORLD. YET NONE EXCEPT THEMSELVES WOULD KNOW. HIS LOSS WAS MOURNED WITH IN MANY HEARTS. HE DIED A HERO. HE LIVED A LEGEND.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

PALO ALTO
JULY 2 05:16 PST

SHADOW GENTLY PLACED A WARM BLANKET OVER ARTEMIS BEFORE SHUTTING THE LIGHTS. The girl had cried herself to sleep and Shadow comforted her to the best of her abilities. Her phone buzzed and she picked it up "Hey"

"Hello. You seem to be up early." She responded once she was outside in order to not disturb the girl "How are you?" She questioned warmly and he sighed "I-I'm lost. I need a break. From everything. How's Artemis?"

"A survivor, above all else"

"I miss you."

"I miss you too, Grayson. We still have a long conversation awaiting us." He sighed, she sensed he smiled slightly at the prospect "I know" She looked down "Are you ok?" She nodded, though he couldn't see "Yes. I mourn him. All I hope is he finds peace"

"Me too"

They spent an hour two speaking before they cut the call. Two days later, Nightwing left the Team for his much needed break and everyone got back to their never ending jobs of heroism.

"Business as usual"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 5.1K 28
Set two years into the five year gap, Robin had become team leader. After threats from Slade and the Court of Owls wanting Robin to join them the tea...
1.7K 91 7
After a freak Mishap, the Team find themselves in an unfamiliar world, with some very familiar faces. Ported from my YJ oneshots book. This will be...
64.8K 2K 20
Everyone on the Young Justice team thought that the second Robin had died in that warehouse explosion. And who could blame them, right? No one could...
90.2K 3.1K 13
In which Bruce Wayne calls upon the Young Justice team to save his seven children who were kidnapped by a group of rogues who are threatening to kill...