Date A Mysterious Being

بواسطة Dokkkku

"This is... Me?" Lucas, a enigmatic young man who awakens to a life shrouded in mystery. Without a single mem... المزيد

Chapter 1 - A Mysterious Being
Chapter 2 - Spirit
Chapter 3 - Omnipotence
Chapter 4 - A new beginning
Chapter 5 - A Girl with no Name
Chapter 6 - Give me a Name!
Chapter 7 - Date
Chapter 8 - Puppet
Chapter 9 - Spirit of Water Manipulation
Chapter 10 - Yoshinon
Chapter 11 - Yoshino
Chapter 12 - Frozen Field
Chapter 13 - Takamiya Mana
Chapter 14 - Tempest Yamai
Chapter 15 - Bedroom Tango
Chapter 16 - Cross-Counter Heart
Chapter 17 - Sisterly Bond
Chapter 18 - Diva
Chapter 19 - Male/Female
Chapter 20 - Maid Café
Chapter 21 - White Licorice
Chapter 22 - Gabriel
Chapter 23 - A Siege of Two
Chapter 24 - DEM
Chapter 25 - Strongest Wizard
Chapter 26 - Demon King
Chapter 27 - Death
Chapter 28 - Return
Chapter 29 - Gift
Chapter 30 - Game
Chapter 31 - Disappearance
Chapter 32 - Culprit
Chapter 33 - Little Monsters
Chapter 34 - Harassment
Chapter 35 - Make Up
Chapter 36 - Truth
Chapter 37 - The Great Fall
Chapter 38 - Efreet
Chapter 39 - Goetia
Chapter 40 - Rampage
Chapter 41 - True Killer
Chapter 42 - Tobiichi
Chapter 43 - Breaking the world
Chapter 44 - Devil
Chapter 45 - Memories
Chapter 46 - Disaster
Chapter 47 - Dáinsleif
Chapter 48 - Mangaka Honjou
Chapter 49 - Otaku Life
Chapter 50 - 2.5 Dimensional
Chapter 51 - Comico Match
Chapter 52 - What's yours is mine
Chapter 53 - Zodiac
Chapter 55 - Fairytales
Chapter 56 - Just Highschoolers
Chapter 57 - Battle of the Cosmos
Chapter 58 - Unlock
Chapter 59 - Lock
Chapter 60 - All alone
Chapter 61 - Cosmos vs Inverse
Chapter 62 - Hoshimiya
Chapter 63 - Nibelcol
Chapter 64 - Bitter-Sweet Valentine
Chapter 65 - Birth of the First Spirit
Chapter 66 - A message for war
Chapter 67 - Preparation
Chapter 68 - Distant Past
Chapter 69 - Family
Chapter 70 - Mio
Chapter 71 - Sanctuary of all Creation
Chapter 72 - Magician
Chapter 73 - Massacre
Chapter 74 - Forgotten Memories

Chapter 54 - Upgrade

146 10 1
بواسطة Dokkkku

"Ngh......" With a sudden bright light flashing on his eyes, Lucas' consciousness returned from the endless darkness called sleep. Luckily, it was still the second of January, meaning he is able to sleep as much as he wanted until the ninth, the date when the third semester starts.

"...What is this feeling...?" Lucas muttered, half awake. He couldn't move his arms, as if it were restrained by something. Additionally, there was this weird squishy feeling around him, and a source of heat that made him sweat a little.

He didn't remember buying anything like a body-sized pillow to wrap around his body. He didn't have any plushies like Kaguya and Yuzuru, so this feeling was a complete mystery to Lucas.

"This is....?" Lucas slowly opened his eyelids, taking in the harsh bright sunlight shining through his large windows.

"Wha---?!" Then, he realized what this feeling was.

"zzzzz...."

"......."
Two identical looking girls dressed in pink and blue pajamas entangled his arms. The weird sensation he was feeling were the chests by the two beauties tugging his arms.

"Kaguya, Yuzuru...?!" Lucas shouted their names quietly. Yes. Somehow, Kaguya and Yuzuru were sleeping in his bed. Perhaps....he forgot to lock the door...? Even so, this doesn't explain why the two twins were in his bed.

"Nn...." Kaguya raised her wobbling head, and wiped her teary eyes. "Good...morning. Lucas."

"Awakening... Good Morning, Lucas." Seemingly in sync, the two of them woke up at the same time.

"Aah, good morning you two---Hey, wait!!! Why are you two in my bed!?" Lucas shouted. On the edge of his vision, he could see the birds sitting on the nearby tree fly away the moment he shouted.

"Aah, that's----"

"Explaination. We saw that you forgot to lock the door, so we decided we'd use this opportunity to sleep with you."

"Why?!" Lucas cried, and rushed out of the bed. "Don't just sneak into my room like that!"

A moment later, Lucas scolded them and the two of them apologized. Lucas let out a heavy sigh once the two of them left. Then, he immediately turned on his Computer, and opened up the Mail App. In the app, there was a message from Karen Nora Mathers, which was send not too long ago.

"Hm?" Lucas clicked on the mail, and read through the contents. "I-I can..." Lucas' voice trembled, and so were his hands.

"I can work on my beloved Fraxinus again!"

Lucas stretched out his arms high up in the air and shouted. Yes. After such a long time of wait, Fraxinus has been send over to Ratatoskr's technological center in Japan after a whole rework in the United States.

Lucas quickly changed his clothes into his usual outdoor outfit, white jeans and black sweater, and headed down.

On the way down, a sweet smell drilled into his nose. It seemed like breakfast was already served.

"Good morning, Lucas-san." Kurumi said, giving off a smile as bright as the sun that had woken him up. "You seem quite excited. Did something come up?"

"Aah. Fraxinus has finally arrived here in Japan. I can finally get to work again." Lucas explained, sitting down. "I won't be gone, but I'll have to call off school until I'm done, but I'll try to finish until the ninth.

"I understand. Don't overwork yourself, okay?"

"What am I, a workaholic?" Lucas giggled. Though, calling him a workaholic might be pretty accurate.

After travelling in the bus for about 10 minutes, Shidou, together with Tohka, Kurumi, Origami, Reine and the Yamai sisters from the next class, arrived at Ratatoskr's underground facility. Ratatoskr had originally employed its floating airship Fraxinus as its headquarters; however, it had suffered critical damage in the previous warship battle and was in repair. Therefore, Shidou and the others had occupied the nearby underground facility as their impromptu base.

At the security check, Shidou and Tohka parted from each other as they were approaching the command room. Despite the fact that they were specifically instructed to wait in another room caused Tohka to feel dissatisfied, Shidou had to discuss strategies once a new Spirit appeared. It was best not to let the other Spirits see the scenario.

As Shidou stepped inside the command room, he felt a complicated sense of nervousness directly on his face. The crew of Fraxinus all assembled in front of their respective automation console monitors within the room, urgently carrying out their tasks.

"You're here,"

Kotori retorted while sitting on the captain's seat in the center of the command room.

Seeing Shidou beside her, Kotori switched her ribbons, undeniably to black. She wore her military uniform with crimson stripes on her shoulders.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting." Reine, who came here together with Shidou, took off her white overcoat and sat on an empty seat.

"No, you've done well."

"Alright, the situation is like this."

"Ah...how did that come about? You said that meteorite was generated by a Spirit, but the spacequake warning didn't ring. Is it an unhostile apparition? But immediately attacking the school... could it be targeting Tohka and the others?"

"-U-un..."

Towards Shidou's question, Kotori adopted a perturbed expression and held her chin.

"What in the world is going on? To be honest, even I haven't the slightest idea."

"Wh-what does that mean?"

"Hmm... Show the current site on the monitor." The crew began to operate their consoles.

Then, on the large screen in front, the world map was projected. Red dots were scattered over every continent, island and ocean.

"This is....?"

"Aye, an unknown object appeared in your school's campus, right? These identical phenomena occurred in every marked location on the map simultaneously."

"Wha...?" Shidou couldn't help but wrinkle his eyebrows and stare fixedly at the cartogram.

"All these places... at the same time?"

For a moment it was hard to believe, that artilleries dropped onto 42 locations in the whole world altogether, including a multitude of Anti-Spirit Team bases and various DEM industries' branches in many countries. Therefore, the possibility that it was a sniper operation done in response to sensing feeble spirit waves and magical power could not be eliminated.

"W-wait a moment. Even South America was raided! But isn't that on the other side of the world?! Were those locations attacked by duplicate Spirits like the Yamai sisters?"

"N-no, that doesn't seem to be the case. The Spirit is without a doubt a single entity. Also to be precise, that projectile isn't truly a meteorite," Kotori replied with a light shake of her head.

Kotori presumably knew that her words weren't completely clear. Flicking the now double lollipops in her mouth, she issued orders to the crew.

"Seeing once is better than hearing a hundred times. Play the video."

"Roger!" One of the crew's members, Boss Mikimoto, exclaimed while operating his console.

The screen which previously graphed the world map now began to play a video.

"-" Watching the scene which transcended reality and fantasy, Shidou ceased breathing for a split second.

On the frame was a lusterless, black, and abstruse darkness. And within that unilluminating presences, flickered countless tiny specks. Shidou first believed it to be the night sky, but quickly dismissed that notion as he noticed something was amiss.

There was a gradually rotating sphere at the bottom of the frame. A vortex of white and blue as far as the eye can see. Indeed, that was the planet where Shidou and the others resided, Earth.

"The universe...."

That was the literal metaphor of the consummate separation of the heavens and the earth. And at the very center, a young girl floated unconstrainedly.

Above all, her beautiful long hair continuously radiated magnificent phosphorescence in spite of the black hole-like darkness that shadowed everything else. The unparalleled gorgeous golden hair would make anyone recognize her as the fairytale girl Rapunzel, drifting leisurely in that deep dark realm. Her Astral dress was embellished with patterns of various constellations and in her hand held a rather lengthy staff.

"This girl is....?"

"Yeah-we just recently confirmed this Spirit. We haven't decided on a fixed codename for her yet. For convenience, we'll call her Zodiac temporarily."

"First time?"

"Yup, of course excluding any unobserved possibilities, at least in Ratatoskr's database. Her angel, Astral Dress, abilities, temperament and et cetera are still unknown."

"So that's how it is. Is her method of attacking the Earth identified yet?"

As Shidou questioned, Kotori replied back with a heavy sigh.

"To tell the truth, there's a reason why we were able to detect this Spirit."

"A reason?"

"Aye. Broadcast the video taken three hours ago."

"Roger."

And so, the big screen started to display a different tape.

Although the background was still in outer space, this time Zodiac seemed to be dormant, her whole body curled up and calmly floating in the cosmos.

"This is...." Shidou's words halted midway.

The recording showed a different figure.

"A space warship?!" Shidou was taken aback and rounded his eyes.

An armada of three gargantuan space warships emerged from Earth and not only that. Innumerable termite-like figures gathered around each ship. Upon closer inspection, each of those figures could be distinguished to be humanoid machines.

There's no doubt that those were DEM industries' unmanned weaponry <Bandersnatch> units.

"Could that be...DEM?!"

"Yeah, they were the ones who discovered Zodiac's presence. After we sensed something suspicious from their warships, we used automatic cameras to scout that area and found her too."

Kotori reply was marked with a hint of disgust.

"H-how can DEM find Spirits...." Shidou blurted before stopping in realization. Kotori shared his opinion and nodded.

"I'm afraid it's Beelzebub. It couldn't be helped, even though Nia can hamper it somehow."

Then the screen showed another change.

DEM's warships locked onto the inactive Zodiac and carried out preparations for an assault. The warships expanded their territory and charged up numerous cannons with devastating magical power. Meanwhile the <Bandersnatch> units around the Spirit began to load their own CR-units.

"Oii... isn't that a bit overkill?"

"Just keep watching."

Zodiac gained awareness of her surroundings and unhurriedly lifted her head up. With an indifferent expression, she glanced as if she didn't care about the impending danger, stretched her body and raised her right hand.

"Seal-Removing Lord--- Michael,"

The girl uttered the name very softly.

The next moment, a luminous staff materialized immediately from the hollow void, the same as the one grasped in her hand in the previous video. At the top end of the staff adorned a luxurious star accoutrement, and on the bottom end inlaid saw tooth edges, resembling a key.

"An angel...?"

"It looks like it."

The Bandersnatch units commenced their assault and encircled Zodiac while charging their laser sabers. She kept herself calm and composed and inserted the front end of the key in vivo towards the direction of the Bandersnatch, turning it to the right as if it was in a keyhole.

"Segva---Lock."

With a sound of metals colliding sonorously, the Bandersnatch's four limbs drastically lost their turgidity and its territory vanished into nothingness. Despite being at the offensive moments ago and their fearless nature, every single one of them instantly lost their will to fight and remained motionless. It was as if their power source was sealed off.

"Th-this is...." Shidou grasped

"Michael. From analysis of the video, we can infer that this angel has the ability to seal the target's function by impaling it with the key."

Reine said so as if interoperating smoothly. By that time, Zodiac had already crippled the incoming Bandersnatch units, machine by machine.

However, DEM had already expected that result.

A few Bandersnatches would be insufficient to seize Zodiac. While she was dealing with them, the three warships had finished charging their cannons with magical power. The fleet then opened fire from three different directions, releasing a dense accumulation of magic. The dark space was instantly permeated by dazzling rays of light.

"Uwaaah..."

But Zodiac remained unaffected by her imprisoned plight and directed the bottom end of her staff to the front.

The key faded as if it had been engulfed in space, and Zodiac turned it to the left.

"Rātaibu---Unlock."

In that instant, a collapsed black hole energized around Zodiac, absorbing all the bombardments fired at her.

"Wh-what....?!" Shidou widened his eyes.

Yet it had not ended there. Another black hole emerged behind the warships and Bandersnatch units. The artillery had not just been nullified, but the astonishingly powerful bombs were also teleported, without losing a shred of their energy.

The pitch-black world was once again reignited as explosions burst forth. The whole armada of three warships and countless of Bandersnatch units were blown away by their own immense firepower.

"DEM's bombs were....?!"

"...Yeah. That's one of Michael's abilities."

"The key alters the very fabric of space-time to unlock space, thereby creating a wormhole. Moreover, she can also set its destination."

"A Spirit opening gates with a key... could she be...?!" Shidou, who suddenly realized something, turned towards Kotori.

Shidou, who suddenly realized something, turned towards Kotori.

"Figured it out? Well, afterwards Zodiac started attacking the Earth. Opening gateways like previously, ingesting the aftermath of DEM's warships' wreckage."

"How did she designate the tens of locations throughout the world?"

"It seems so. She was sleeping peacefully but was woken up by the warships...she's certainly enraged with wrath. In the event of the remnants escaping combustion in the atmosphere and being directly delivered to the surface, they would preserve their mass and smash into the ground. On the other hand, luckily she didn't do so and the force of her attack was reduced by a large margin, maybe due to her not throwing it over several thousands of kilometers."

"Is that so... the shockwave felt really powerful though."

Shidou furrowed his brows as he remembered the scene.

"If meteors of that size actually showered, it definitely won't just be till this extent. It wouldn't be surprising if the blast radius covered tens of kilometers - it would be a fait accompli for someone like her capable of generating wormholes. No, the damage just now is already critical."

"..."

Cold sweat covered Shidou's face. An extremely horrifying ability... On the basis of its distinct applications, perhaps even the Earth could be annihilated. Shidou stabilized his mood by taking deep breaths.

"...Then, what should I do?"

Shidou was aware that he had to get acquainted with the new Spirit in order to seal her powers.

However, this time his target's location is in outer space. He couldn't just approach her and chat with her. On the contrary, it was already hard enough to come into contact with her.

"That's right. No matter how hard it is, it'd be quite troublesome if she were to launch another blitzkrieg. In short, time is of the essence. Let's conduct a dialogue with her."

"Converse with her.... how? Telephone and mail will get us nowhere."

Kotori showed solicitude to her blockhead brother.

"Are you stupid? How do you think we captured this video?"

"Video...ah! There was something like that!" Shidou realized he had forgotten about this point.

"Of course, although there are a few adjustments, function-wise it's similar to Fraxinus' Yggd Folium. As it has a Realizer installed, it can spread out its territory."

"I see. If I can stay within the territory's range..."

"Aye. Normally it's impossible for sound to travel through a vacuum, but it can be transmitted utilizing the territory. Also, bring that thing."

Kotori's second in command Kannazuki Kyouhei then responded, "Roger," and beckoned Shidou to come over with an object. After removing something from one end of the object, he handed it over to Shidou.

"Come, Shidou. Wear this and stand upright."

"Eh? What's this?"

It appeared to be a receiver in the form of a piece of head wear, some type of supplementary goggles. Although he didn't know what it was for, Shidou followed Kannazuki's instructions and put it on overhead.

Kannazuki then aimed the camera lens at Shidou and began to operate his console.

"Commander, preparations OK!"

"Very well. Start the experiment then. I'll leave it to you."

"Roger!"

Responding to Kotori's order, Deep Love Minowa operated her automation console.

Soon after that, the apparatus in front of Shidou started to give out a mechanical sound. Puzzled, Shidou was unable to determine what has happening.

"What's going on?"

In front of Shidou, another Shidou appeared.

"Waah!?"

Shidou got intimidated by the unexpected appearance and fell down on his back. Surprisingly, the other Shidou imitated his actions.

"O-o-ouch... is that...?"

"This device can read Shidou's physical data and project a three-dimensional image. Of course, the Realizer's automated camera also has this utility."

"Looks very lifelike..." Shidou extended his hand to poke his other self, but due to it being a mere hologram, his finger penetrated right through.

"For the time being it isn't switched on yet, but the goggles will display what the camera records when you begin."

"So that's how it is. This way I'll be able to communicate with the spirit vis-à-vis."

Shidou thought, "If you had such a device why didn't you let me use it sooner?!"

"Yeah. We haven't got much time so let's start. Who knows when she'll launch another attack."

"-Ah, understood."

Shidou nodded firmly with a hand on his chest to regulate his palpitation. Frankly, he wanted to get accustomed to the goggles first and prepare himself mentally. But just as Kotori said, there wasn't any time for him to plan his strategies, so he clenched his fists and exhaled deeply.

Shidou clapped his nervously stiff cheeks and smiled. When confronting Spirits, Shidou's deck didn't consist of weapons, but loving words. His heart should possess the firm belief to save the Spirit in order to suppress his fear of talking face to face.

"Ready anytime, Kotori."

"Not bad."

Kotori raised the corners of her mouth and repositioned herself on her seat. She took out her doubled lollipops from her mouth and pointed at the screen.

"Well then, commence operation Long-Distance Love!"

"Understood!" The crew answered in unison, each carrying out their respective assignments.

"Autonomous camera number 1 is approaching target."

"The Realizer projection has been initialized."

"Target's state of mind is synchronized on monitor."

"Preparations are completed. Get ready, Shidou."

"Yeah!"

The next instant, Shidou's field of view changed from the command room to outer space.

"...!"

Shidou couldn't help but gulp.

The boundless darkness was incomparable to the limitless stars which glowed brilliantly, as well as the celestial mass of greenish blue in his sight. That majestic scene strove for Shidou's attention.

But now was not the time for sightseeing. Shidou slowly came back to his senses.

Before his eyes was the silhouette of a slender blonde girl floating in midair. That mysterious and awe-inspiring look really suited her.

"Let's begin, the Earth's and the Cosmos' long distance relationship."

Although Kotori's words contained a tinge of comedy, her tone was serious.

"Hi, good morning."

"..."

The Spirit immediately raised her staff at Shidou's head in response, emitting a ray of light.

"Uoohh...!?"

Although his body reacted, it was too late. Rays of golden chromatic light weaved into a single beam and burst forth through Shidou's head and into the endless universe at light speed.

"What the hell!?"

Shidou exaggerated his shock and toppled onto the floor, his whole body writhing and both hands covering his head. Simply, it was a pitiful condition.

"K-Kotori! I-I'm dead!! My h-head!!"

"Stop freaking out. Your head's still there."

"...! Aah..."

Shidou retrieved his calmness. Due to the image being too authentic, the misconception of actually being struck arose. But in reality, only Shidou's volumetric hologram was hit. Shidou did get hurt though from hitting the back of his head during his fall. Shidou felt embarrassed and stood back up.

"What a cruel Spirit... I'd be screwed if that was the real me."

"Maybe she's still agitated by DEM's assault. I wouldn't be surprised if she suddenly heard a voice behind her and thought it was an enemy. Let her know that we mean no harm."

"Th-that's right..."

After unwinding, Shidou equipped the goggles again and his avatar's head regenerated. His display returned to the sight of the girl.

"Please calm down. I'm not your enemy and I won't attack you."

"...Huh?"

The girl looked expressionlessly at the second Shidou and inclined her head in confusion.

Not waiting for him to reply, the girl immediately flew away towards the piles of rubble, accelerating past Shidou.

"Gwaahh!?" Shidou jolted instinctively but not as pathetically as before and continued while quelling his shock.

"Wait, I-" The girl who circled around Shidou used her staff to ruthlessly pulverize his head, again. "Kuhh!? N-no, hear me out-"

"..."

The tattered fragments of scrap metal, which obeyed Newton's laws of motion, pierced through his limbs as they collided with the girl's momentum.

"L-listen to me...."

"..."

Dozens of rays of light punctured Shidou into a honeycomb.

"Ugaaaaahhh!!" Shidou mourned as his body was torn to pieces.

"This war maniac! It's only been a few minutes and I died five times already!!"

"Hmm... I didn't expect her to be so violent. It looks like using the hologram was the right choice." Reine touched her chin, lost in thought.

"-! Wait! The Spirit!"

Nail Knocker Shiizaki shouted, directed everyone's attention towards the big screen, only to discover the girl engrossed in Shidou's regenerative body. That gave a bewildered invariable expression, but her movements were substantially different.

"-Inconceivable. Why do you not die?"

Her intonation lacked any modulation, tranquil to the utmost point. Even so, she had finally replied in a way unrelated to combat. Shidou overly nodded.

"Ah, aahh! I wanted to talk to you so I placed a three-dimensional projection here. So a-ahh ouch...stop...Don't dig other people's stomachs when they're speaking!"

Shidou muffled his abdomen in agony. The girl used the front end of her staff to stab his belly, stirring it as if it were a soup spoon.

"A three-dimensional projection, huh? Truly inconceivable. It's better not to undertake it in my opinion."

"O-oh..."

Shidou grinned wryly. "A-anyway, if you don't mind may I know your name?"

The girl stopped mixing Shidou's belly and lifted her head.

"My name? It matters not. It's Mukuro. Hoshimiya Mukuro.."

"Mukuro... that's your name?"

"Indeed," Mukuro nodded. "You are? To inquire about another's before claiming your own - deplorable morality."

"Ah sorry, I'm-" Halfway through, his vision was thrown out of the window.

"Waa!? What's wrong?"

"Prithee, do you have some ill brewing?"

"N-no...everything's fine."

"Calm down, options have appeared,"

Following Kotori's voice, some text popped up.

It seems that the options which appeared on the big screen in the command room had also appeared in Shidou's vision. How marvelous.

① "I'm Itsuka Shidou. Let's be friends."

② "I'm Itsuka Shidou. Be my lover."

③ "I'm Itsuka Shidou. I'll be your master from now on. Be my obedient slave. I'll train you until you can no longer live without me."

"Everyone, choose!" The sound of button pushing could be heard. The statistics were shown in a pie chart. And the option with the largest proportion was:

"I see...③ huh?"

"Affirmative. At first glance ① and ② look safer and more reliable, but we need to go on the offensive here."

"That's true. Right now we're unaware whether her state of mind is favorable or not, so we'll need to see her response pattern."

"Makes sense. Well it's just a hologram anyway so it won't die. We need to exploit this advantage. - Shidou it's ③."

"Wait just a moment!!!!"

As always, the final decision kept driving Shidou mad.

"What's wrong, Shidou? Suddenly shouting like that..."

"What's wrong my ass! Why is it ③?! Isn't ① good enough!?"

"Stop overreacting. The truth is you won't die anyway so you need to test her reactions with tougher words. Hurry up, Mukuro's waiting."

As Shidou was neglecting Mukuro, he hesitated to agree with the choice but finally decided to open his mouth.

"I'm Itsuka Shidou. I-I'm going to be...your m-master! B-become my s-slave, I'll train you until you can't live without m-me!!"

"Huh...Itsuka Shidou, eh?" Mukuro repeated while holding her chin and treating it like nothing out of the ordinary.

"She didn't care at all?!" Kotori screamed loudly towards her subordinates. Although Shidou expected a bad reaction, her despondency exceeded his expectations.

"How is the Spirit's emotional state and happiness level developing?!"

"No changes at all!"

"The values are too stable!"

"How is that possible?! Did she not hear Shidou? But she got his name..." Kotori retorted her words in astonishment.

"Curiosity I have. Do you have any business with me?"

"Eh? A-ah..."

As Shidou prepared to answer, Mukuro pointed her staff at the Earth.

"Three-dimensional projection... your flesh must be on some heavenly body from whence you appear. Loathsome sham, fie! Darest thou spit falsehoods, this me shall punish you to the ground."

"Wha...?!" Shidou bit his lip, dreading the meteor which had fallen in the sports ground previously.

"What say you?" Mukuro asked, asking for his reply. Kotori sighed.

"She's serious. Shidou, talk with her. Complicating things will be troublesome."

"A-ah, okay."

"I want to---save Spirits like you."

Shidou then revealed everything, his objective, the existence of Ratatoskr and the hostile corporation DEM, as well as his powers.

"...Hmm."

Mukuro contemplated without any expression. Shidou looked at the pair of golden eyes staring at him between her flowing hairs and held his breath.

"True to your heart, thank you. This self has undergone tremendous change prior to venturing herein."

"Ah, so will you come to the surface for me to seal your powers?"

Shidou requested rather nervously.

"I believe your offer is best left unheeded,"

Mukuro replied back without the slightest hint of hesitation. Be that as it may, this was well anticipated. After all, there had been similar cases before. Shidou furrowed his eyebrows and continued.

"Guuu...well I can't force you to believe in me. But what I said is true. I want to save-"

"I carry no doubt."

"...Eh?"

"Your words are imbued with fair intentions, thus I suspect nothing."

"If that's the case, then why...?"

"I understand your message. But I shall not accept any alms. I simply am as I am."

"B-but that way DEM may attack you again!"

"D, E, M...." Mukuro enunciated clumsily as she tried to recall something.

"The crude iron I dismantled? I will obliterate every mortal instrument disregarding their numbers."

"That's not it; DEM has even more powerful weapons called wizards which are dangerous!"

"Likewise, there exists not something that can triumph over my angel. If I become entrenched in peril, Michael will open a gate for me to flee. Or can this D, E, M thou speak of pursue me at the rapidity of even light?"

"That..."

Shidou was at a loss for words. If Mukuro was indeed capable of those, then whoever tries to capture her will face near impossible difficulties. But he couldn't just leave her like that. There were Ellen, Artemisia, and the now wielder of Beelzebub, Westcott. Who knows what they were capable of?

However, that was not the only reason why Shidou wanted her to come to the surface. He continued to persuade her.

"But there's a lot of fun stuff on Earth and there are also Spirits like you. Don't you feel lonely being in this kind of place all by yourself?"

"...Lonesome, eh?" Mukuro shook her head. "As terrified as I am with thine anxiety, loneliness remains unfelt."

"But how? Don't be so stubborn. Being together is-"

"Alas, all perceptions, be it joy, sadness, anger, or sorrow, are gone from me. Love's fair share too. Long ago, I have locked my heart."

"...Eh? L-Locked?"

"Aye, Michael's ability." Mukuro showed Shidou her staff.

Michael. Segva -Lock is one of its abilities, which seals any target's power.

Shidou had witnessed it in action before when Mukuro locked the Bandersnatch units, snatching away their power and rendering them to pieces of scrap.

If her angel could affect even intangible objects, then it could indeed seal Mukuro's feelings.

"H-how did it come to that...? Not only sadness and sorrow, but even joy...!"

"Perjury does not lay upon me. Ask why? Dispensable forfeiture, no, and aspects of misfortune, I say. I know not what I used to anymore."

"B-but you can talk to me normally like right now..."

"Though gentle loss grieves me not, speech remains. At the core, serenity was all I desired, thus I journeyed this untouchable universe. To be angered or to seek familial affection, all would disrupt the status quo. The meteorites I dropped were mere warnings to ward off humans invading my domain," She explained with an unchanging look.

She resembled a recluse, introverted hermit, or whatever dry and dull celestial being. Shidou couldn't help but grasp his fist.

"That...that's too sad. Please, return to Earth. I want you to be happy!"

"..." Mukuro remained speechless.

After a modicum of moments, she started to move her mouth.

"I beg your pardon, Shidou, it seems you have misunderstood.."

"...Eh?"

"What I consider happiness-it is unjust for you to resolve hither and thither.."

"...!" Shidou felt suffocated by her words.

"You may have saved Spirits from damnation before, which I believe. But I am me. Why do you wish to aid me?" Shidou was dumbfounded by what she said. Mukuro continued, ignoring whatever reply he had.

"Before I am redeemed or happy, truly I would be not. Your infallibility marks your words. I think you take me for granted."

"Th-that, kind, of thing..."

Shidou's voice shivered, wanting to deny what Mukuro said but he didn't have any strength to refute. Mukuro seemed to have noticed something and stared at him.

"All drained of rebuttal?"

It came from a voice from behind him.

"What do you mean...?"

Hearing that, Shidou remembered that Ratatoskr was still supporting him. As he reflected about his issues, Mukuro resumed her interrogation.

"This so-called D, E, M originates from whence you came, yes? If you have sealed me, could you also ensure my protection? Have your sealed Spirits never sustained another fiendish foray?"

"...! Th-that's..."

Shidou couldn't vociferate any reason.

The battles against DEM flitted across his mind. Ahh, that's right. Shidou and Lucas did seal the Spirits' powers. He had always thought it was for the Spirits' own good and the Spirits were willing too. But as a result, they also encountered many crises. Seeing Shidou's inner conflict, Mukuro softly declared her standpoint.

"All in all, Shidou, your hypocrisy is like a maze lest I be snared. Cease ever returning and be gone.."

"...!"

Shidou pained from rejection, as if he got hit by an iron bar on the head. If only it was real, he wished. Mukuro's hurtful words spread throughout his body like wildfire.

"...Shidou, don't be too upset. What you have done for us definitely isn't a mistake."

Kotori, who responded to him, was the first Spirit he sealed. Shidou couldn't live with himself, although having understood Kotori's words. But-

"It's the end of our conversation. Where I'm going, there's only peace, only safety. Where no one can bother me-I bid you farewell." Mukuro said so monotonously as she raised her staff and pointed to Earth.

"If approached once more, I hereby command you, Michael, to halt this planet's motion."

"W-wha....?!"

"Its powers are capable of even that...?!" Kotori's predicament reverberated in Shidou's eardrums.

"With this, that D, E, M will begone. This shall be our eternal parting, Shidou. Henceforth adieu."

Mukuro raised her staff and stabbed the front end through Shidou's projection camera.

"Segva---Lock."

As Mukuro turned her key, in that instant-With an accompaniment of static noise, Shidou's field of vision was thoroughly obstructed.

"What's going on with the image?!"

Kotori's shout reverberated throughout the command room, but to no avail, as Mukuro's blurry image on both the screen and Shido's googles vanished in the miscellaneous electromagnetic waves.

"Error! The automatic video camera isn't responding!"

"Kuh...did Michael seal it?"

Kotori recollected in detail the moments before the footage and sound were cut off. Mukuro had stuck her tongue out towards Kotori at that time. Hearing her words, Shidou removed his earpiece.

"I... I want to..."

Shidou weakly squeezed out from his now parched throat while tightly grasping his fist. But it was too late. Mukuro was already gone.

The mission to save Spirits had been initiated under Ratatoskr's request; nevertheless, there was a feeling of hope that the Spirits could live a normal life. But have they ever lost their futures due to Shidou intervening? His heart felt uneasy. His arsenal descended with a clang.

"It hurts..." Shidou wept with a pained expression. He turned around towards his sister, a look of resignation was painted on his face.

"What now...Kotori...?"

"Why are you giving up just because you couldn't convince her?" Kotori mocked condescendingly. She sat back onto her commander chair and gestured Shidou to come over.

"Of course, her words aren't meaningless. But as meaningful as they are, abiding to them won't do any good."

True, Spirits were existences which needed to be saved. They represent natural disasters in themselves; there was no reason to place them on Earth. But Shidou refused to accept such an unjust fact.

"But if I just sit here and do nothing, wouldn't that be worse than trying to talk to her?"

Kotori fiddled with the guilty pleasure in her mouth and responded.

"If only that was true; didn't Mukuro also mention DEM? Humans are all virtually the same to her. Even if we don't take care of her, DEM will."

"Guuu...." Shidou muttered in anguish. If he and the others were to cease coming into contact with Spirits due to their danger, that'd be nothing but a cruel joke. There wasn't any difference between that and Ratatoskr planning a physical attack. Realizing Shidou's intention, Kotori pointed her lollipop at him.

"Now that DEM is aware of Mukuro's presence, they'll undoubtedly dispatch assassins to murder her. If they succeed, her Sephira crystal would fall into Westcott's hands. If they were to fail, she would suspend the Earth's motion. Although we don't know which, both outcomes would spell the end of humanity."

"When you put it that way..."

"The only way is for us to interact with Mukuro before she suffers another assault - that's all to it." Kotori's words slapped some sense into her brother's mind.

"Aah, that's how it is... Sorry I wasn't thinking clearly."

"Good. I can understand how you feel."

Shidou could sense that too. Under the present circumstances, DEM couldn't simply ignore Mukuro. But that alone didn't contradict what she said.

If only DEM didn't exist.
If only we could lessen Mukuro's burdens.

Kotori reached a conclusion. As if she perceived Shidou's opinion, Kotori continued while staring into the distance.

"...Keep in mind. The Spirits that you saved by your own hand, at least they can stay here and live a happy life."

"Ah, thank you Kotori."

Shidou suppressed his urges to hug his sister on the spot. Now was not the time to stop his progress. Every single move they take henceforth could very well bring about serious damage to the world.

"Yeah, we can do this."

"Un. You're right."

"...That determination may not last long." At that moment, Reine emitted a dejected voice.

"Reine, what's the matter?" Kotori replied as she moved her line of sight.

"Take a look at this."

Reine motioned towards a statistical table on the monitor. It appeared to display Mukuro's happiness levels and mental state. Shidou couldn't help but take notice in an instant. The reason was simple.

The numerical values showed in the chart indicated absolutely zero deviation. There were only straight lines parallel to the abscissa and perpendicular to the ordinate.

"During Shin's conversation with Mukuro, the monitor was connected continuously. Yet the affection levels, happiness measurements, and every other parameter remained constant. It looks like she wasn't joking when she said that she had sealed her heart."

"W-wha...?"

Kotori widened her eyes in shock.

That was to be expected. To seal a Spirit's power, it was a necessary prerequisite for Shidou to kiss said Spirit. However, if the Spirit couldn't open the door to her heart, it was impossible for Shidou to seal her.

Although Mukuro had spoken to him in such a manner, her impression of Shidou stayed invariant. So far, he had been abhorred and detested by sorrowful Spirits before, but being treated like that by a deadpan Spirit was a first. It'd be a hassle to seal Spirits if this were to continue.

"Mukuro wields the angel Michael in the form of a key. You had witnessed one of its abilities just now - locking a target's will. If she used that on her own heart, any external influence would be rendered incapable of affecting her."

"Such a result... what should we-"

As Shidou began to utter something depressing, whispers could be heard from outside the door of the command headquarters.

"...? What's that sound?"

Kotori made a suspicion as she resolutely approached the door.

Kotori flung the door open the next instant. With a loud thud, the Spirits that were supposed to be waiting in another room surged inside altogether.

"Ugaaah!"

"Kyaaa!"

"Constriction. So heavy. Kaguya, you need to lose weight."

"Why should I!? It's not just me!"

Each and every one of them was entangled in a chaotic mess of bodies, sluggishly standing up. Shidou, looking at the present situation, couldn't help but speak.

"E-everyone...! What are you doing here?"

"Muuu...sorry. We didn't mean to eavesdrop..." Tohka apologized dejectedly.

"It's not Tohka's fault! Darling made us worry in these conditions!" Miku made her accusation while holding onto Tohka's shoulders. The other Spirits nodded in agreement.

"You guys..." Kotori gave a sigh and made a facepalm. Origami, who was looking straightforwardly, moved her lips.

"Although we arrived halfway through, we still heard. There must be something we can do."

"Oh!" Kotori covered her mouth. If possible, she'd like the Spirits to be as far away from danger as possible. As if they figured out what Kotori had in mind, the Spirits vociferated their opinions in quick succession.

"Won't the Earth be destroyed at this unwilling rate? I still want to read my favorite manga!"

"If Mukuro sees the beauty of this world, she wouldn't want to disrupt it! Please let us lend a hand!"

"Everyone..." Kotori was overwhelmed by the momentum and turned towards Reine for advice.

"..."

As Reine made a 'go with the flow' expression, Kotori yielded and exhaled.

"...Haah, I see. Alright, you can stay."

Having received Kotori's permission, the Spirits' faces lit up with determination.

"But this time, we can't win with spirit power alone. If we can't boost her affection levels, we won't be able to seal her. Plus her heart is firmly locked." Kotori emphasized in a sincere tone.

"Is that so?" A voice came from behind the Spirits, coming from the door they just entered. Everyone in the room turned their eyes on the person who had just entered the room.

Tall body, easily exceeding the average height of a highschooler, white hair that was kept in a stylish middle part, and golden eyes that shimmered like stars. It was non other than Kunshu Lucas.

"Lucas? I thought you were busy?"

"Well, I did promise to be done by the 9th, and today is that day." Lucas answered, before coughing a few times to back to topic.

"I've heard what's going on. It's true that Mukuro's heart is locked, but a lock always has a way to unlock it. That is---Michael."

"That..."

Shidou lamented from the recesses of his throat. What Reine said was all true.

Angels possess miraculous forms and appearances. To undo an effect caused by an angel, its power must be used again. The problem was that, as its name states, Seal Removing Lord belonged to Mukuro. Due to her having sealed her heart, Shidou's feelings and intentions were unable to touch her. It was as if he was trying to open a treasure chest with the key inside it.

Kaguya complacently puffed out her chest.

"Huhu, angels we have. I shall force her to open her heart."

"Doubt. Mukuro is in space. How will you go there?" Yuzuru, her counterpart, gave a retorting remark.

"Uhh... well..."

"Don't worry about the location. I have a solution for it too."

"Eh?"

Hearing his words full of self-confidence, Shidou was mind-blown.

"-Total annihilation?!"

DEM Industries' Japan branch's communications room received a status report on the satellite tracking of the airships, Ellen gave out a shocked, terrified voice. Within the dark and gloomy space, there flickered a mere few light-emitting diodes of display screens that dimly illuminated the room. Ellen moved towards a pitch-black corner, gazing fixedly at the monitor which faintly resounded every now and then.

"...A fleet of three aerial warships and ninety Bandersnatch units and not a single scratch on the Spirit... plus the all-out frenzied retaliation on the ground surface."

The trembling voice came from one of her subordinates through the communication device.

"-Marvelous."

Westcott's commanding voice reverberated from the back of the room.

"I never expected the vanguard troops to defeat her, but this power... such magnificent power... Excellent!"

As he continued his rumination, Ellen casted a glance at him askance, immersed in deep thought.

Although the tracker satellite, Dectas•NUMBER, hadn't participated in the battle, its assignment wasn't to capture the Spirit, but to clearly investigate the figure asleep amidst the cosmos. That way, they could force her down to Earth.

However, this operation ended in failure, epic failure. Not only that, but the wreckage was shot down as meteors worldwide. Ellen breathed out in displeasure. If this was to be the outcome, they should've let Ellen go in the first place.

"Is the Spirit still at its previous coordinates?"

"A-affirmative. The Spirit still remains under surveillance, but... I'm afraid it's preparing to launch another counterattack."

"Hmm..." Ellen groaned quietly. She lifted her head and looked towards Westcott.

"-Ellen."

Realizing her intention, Westcott severely nodded his head.

"Ah, it'll be troublesome if holes keep being chiseled into DEM's facilities. I'll leave it to you and Artemisia. I look forward to your results."

"Yes, definitely."

Ellen answered briefly before she saluted and left the communications room.

-After Ellen exited.

"...About that, Managing Director Westcott," One of the wizards there called out to him with utmost caution.

"Hm? What is it?"

"Is it really okay to let chief executive Mathers to go to space...?"

"Yes. Are you saying that my decision is mistaken?" Westcott intently stared at the pitiful wizard, like a predator hunting its prey. The unfortunate girl's facial expression instantly paled, and she hurriedly shook her head in subordination.

"N-n-no! T-that's not what I meant! Will chief executive Mathers still fight when she finds out about that thing..."

The wizard muttered in a feeble voice as Westcott shrugged his shoulders.

"Ah~, that's right. That's how it should be." Westcott uncovered his right hand and a black levitating tome materialized, Beelzebub. As he shifted his vision to the manuscript, new lines of words began to form - about the recent Spirit and how to capture her.

"I expect a lot from you, Ellen. But for a long time, you wouldn't want to avoid getting yourself bathed in blood from head to toe." Westcott finished as he indifferently let out a laugh.

The muffled noise of rotating propellers and consecutive oscillations vibrated throughout Lucas's body and eardrums. His current location was not the command room of the temporary subterranean facility under Tenguu city, but in an enormous carrier helicopter. Of course, he wasn't without company. In front of him was a long row of Spirits, Shidou and Ratatoskr's crew.

"Hey, Lucas, where are we going?"

Shidou interrogated him. During the several hours in route, Shidou and the other Spirits couldn't obtain any information and sat dumbfounded. To tell the truth, being taken anywhere had always felt rather anxious to Shidou. The Spirits, such as Tohka and Kaguya, who were riding such a huge helicopter as passengers for the first time, took pleasure in it.

Although Lucas had noticed Shidou's concern, he simply waved his index finger.

"Sorry, but I can't reveal any details. I don't doubt you, but the place we're heading to now is known to be Ratatoskr's technological center."

"Will we find a method to reach Mukuro there?"

"Yeah. I think we should be arriving soon-" A message was then broadcasted inside the aircraft.

"We're arriving at our destination. Please prepare for landing."

"That was good timing."

After a few moments, the helicopter's shaking came to a stop and its rear hatch sprang open, accompanied with an electronic tone.

"Good work. This way please."

The person who urged them seemed to be one of the staff members. Shidou and the others blinked their eyes in confusion and chased after Lucas and Kotori, who had already exited the aircraft.

In front of them was a gigantic wall which towered over everything else in the commodious room. There was a number of mechanics working on various kinds of appliances and deployments, each occupied with their respective jobs.

"A warehouse...?"

"Well... kinda. Just follow us."

Lucas gave the instructions with a wave of his hand. Afterwards, Ratatoskr's crew ensued behind him. Although he wasn't commander of the Fraxinus, he was still one of the higher executives. Naturally, the crew members would treat him on the same level as the commander.

"Here it is."

Lucas said as she aimed her gaze at the others and placed her hand onto the installation beside the door.
After a tiny beep was sounded, the large door started to unravel its hinges. The interior shined onto their eyes blindingly.

"...This is...!" The Spirits (excluding Kotori) and Shidou were also stunned by the light.

"Uoohh...!"

"Kaka, I see. This may just work."

"Uwaah~...What is this plaything? Boy, can I take a picture for material? Just one!"

"Of course not. This is highly classified," Lucas replied half-heartedly to the excited Nia.

The sharp pointed body of the vessel composed of white and colored glaze, and the cannon was mounted at the center. Extensive protrusions jutted out of the rear section like branches on a tree, and the few sheets of metallic foliage diffused a brilliant hue. The warship itself had a rather unusual design for its exterior.

But that was normal. After all, the ship wasn't going to sail the roaring sea, rather it was going to fly in the heavenly skies.

"Fraxinus...!" Shidou called its name as his body quivered.

Ratatoskr's prided warship, Fraxinus. The airship, which had sustained critical damage during the fight against Inverse Origami; and hence forth was in overhaul, was now intact before them.

The airship in front of them was indeed Fraxinus, but Shidou felt that there was a discrepancy with the original in appearance.

"It looks... different?"

"Correct, this is a brand new model upgraded with Ratatoskr's most advanced Realizer unit, and overall performance improvements. Its name is Fraxinus-EX!"

As Lucas announced this loudly, the vice commander, Kannazuki Kyouhei, spread both his hands and feet and adopted a thumbs up gesture. The other crew members symmetrically stood to his left and right. The final member, Reine, fished out a multicolored piece of paper from her pocket, casting a blank expression.

"E-EX?"

"Yes. Although Fraxinus' damage was caused by the battle with Origami, it was also mercilessly wrecked by Ellen Mathers' Goetia in the previous world, so merely repairing it wouldn't be enough. It took quite some time too," Lucas said that in a self-deprecating tone.

He reminisced the time when he returned to the past and altered history with the help of Kurumi's power. In that previous world, Fraxinus had been utterly defeated by DEM's warship.

"So that's how it is. We can reach Mukuro with this."

"That's right. We'll fly over."

Kotori summarized as she threw an imaginary paper plane.

"It'll take a while before takeoff since the ship needs some final adjustments but we can board now. Follow me, there's someone who wants to see you and Lucas." Kotori beckoned for her brother to come over using her finger. Shidou couldn't help but feel odd.

"Someone wants to see us?"

"Yeah. Well you've met each other in normal circumstances many times before, but this should be the first time you've seen her here. Of course, Lucas has already met that person."

"Mhm." Lucas nodded.

"In any case, come this way." Kotori ordered as she approached Fraxinus.

"Uh...who is this person, Lucas?"

"See for yourself."

"..."

After she ensured that everyone had assembled under the airship, Kotori raised her head and yelled.

"Alright. Please proceed."

As soon as Kotori's voice reached Lucas and the others, an undulating radiance engulfed their bodies and an unthinkable feeling of levitation lifted them upwards. The next instant, everyone's view transformed from the warehouse into the interior of the airship.

"Uoohh..."

Fraxinus' teleporter utilized its own Realizer unit to function. Although Lucas had experienced this countless of times, he still couldn't help but feel startled since he hadn't gone through it for a long time.

"So we can directly teleport to the bridge now eh..."

"Yeah. Now that there are various terminals installed all over the airship, destinations can be freely chosen. So you can now teleport here directly from the residential area instantly."

"I see. Then who did you say wanted to see me?"

Shidou enquired as he searched the interior. Although he thought that the teleport operator would be in the room, there wasn't even a single shadow of a person.

"Yo, it's been a hot minute, Fraxinus." Lucas yelled as if he was conversing with either himself or the vessel.

Then...

"Yes, nice to see you, Lucas."

A girl's voice came abruptly from the monitor's audio amplifier, and it was accompanied by a faint glow.

"Waa?!" Shidou retreated back a step owing to the suddenness and a look of astonishment formed on the other Spirits' faces.

"W-what's going on?!"

"That frightened... me."

"Your reaction lacks manners, Shidou. There would be a penalty if you speak to a Spirit that way."

Shidou was dumbstruck for an airship to preach him like that and gazed around in confusion.

"T-this is..."

"What are you making a fuss about, Shidou? She has always taken care of you. She's Fraxinus' Artificial Intelligence. After the recent update, the AI can now interchange dialogues with you," Kotori explained as the speaker continued.

"Good morning. Long time no see-this is becoming repetitive... I have always kept an eye on you. My name is Maria. Please take good care of me from now on."

Simultaneously, the Spirits behind Lucas swarmed, squeezing in front of the display screen. Of course, there couldn't be Maria's face on the monitor but it did display the letters 'MARIA'. It was very lifelike.

"Ooh! Very well done! How did you do this?"

"Ehh so there was something like this!"

"This voice will read out the options? Is it real?"

All the Spirits encircled the small Maria and made all sorts of comments. Looking at them, Lucas was utterly helpless with the situation and simply clapped his hands.

"Settle down, don't make Maria feel uncomfortable. She still has a job to do." Lucas waited until everyone calmed down before asking Maria.

"How long till the warship can take off?"

"The entire maintenance will take approximately 90 more minutes."

"There's no time. Get it done within an hour." Kotori said without any care.

"As merciless as always... I pity your future husband."

"Even though the airship is new, your jokes are as disappointing as ever. Resume maintenance after this battle is over," Kotori gave the command as she narrowed her eyes. Conversely, Maria began conversing with the crew as if she didn't understand the syntax of her command.

"Although the data settings for the automation consoles and display screens are default, everyone please confirm preparation for all contingencies. The execution of the current task shall be synchronized here."

The ship's crew nodded one after another and Maria renewed her explanation.

"In addition, please keep the personal articles held in the bridge to a minimum. Although interference is unwanted due to this being categorized as individual space, in my opinion Nail Knocker and Dimension Breaker carry unnecessary items in the bridge."

Hearing Maria's words, Nail Knocker Shiizaki and Dimension Breaker Nakatsugawa exposed a stupefied expression.

"H-how..."

"Wasn't it fine before!?"

"Previously I had no means of speech. If you feel that these items are absolutely necessary, please submit your reason(s) in no more than 1200 words."

"T-these are for cursing enemies when they appear!"

"I'm unable to work at 100% efficiency when I'm not with my wives."

"Denied. Denied." Maria coldly rejected their requests. Shiizaki and Nakatsugawa both wailed, "Noooooo!"

The other crew members watched their two colleagues' embarrassment. Boss Mikimoto, Bad Marriage Kawagoe, and Deep Love Minowa laughed heartily.

"Can't do anything about that. Those items are indeed inessential for work purposes."

"Aah, we had thought so too from long ago."

"Public and private affairs should be clearly differentiated."

"Also, private phone calls to wives or daughters in shops are no longer permitted hereafter. Please forgive any inconvenience caused. That includes sending automatic cameras to boyfriends or girlfriends."

"Eh?"

The other three crew members were dumbstruck by Maria's regulations. Seeing their responses, Kotori's veins popped out of her forehead.

"You guys.... how dare you use Fraxinus' equipment on those kinds of stuff?!"

"A- no- that-"

"You're mistaken! We usually handle our assignments seriously..."

The crew tried to provide an explanation with incoherent words. Kotori sighed as she saw them in such an unpalatable state.

"The point is-there's not much time. Let's just concentrate on getting the maintenance over with, Maria." Receiving Kotori's command, the ship's crew gave a salute and shouted 'Roger!' in unison.

"Next, we should..."

"That said, there's a person who wishes to speak to Kotori at the base."

"Speak with me? Who?"

"It's Elliot Woodman-sama."

Maria's reply dazed Kotori.

"Hm...It's been quite some time since I last saw Elliot. I wonder if he's still fine." Lucas, after exiting Fraxinus, returned to the corridor.

The airship's crew was currently in the bridge and occupied with the final adjustments to Fraxinus. And now there stood only Lucas, Shidou and the Spirits, with Kotori as their leader.

"Hey, Lucas."

"Hm? What is it, Tohka?"

"Who is this Woodman guy? Kotori seems to respect him a lot."

Lucas directed his sight towards Kotori. Indeed, after Maria had mentioned that name, Kotori immediately flustered, wearing the overcoat on her shoulders properly and buttoning it up neatly. Kotori's head didn't turn back but she explained while she kept walking.

"Woodman-sama is the chairman of Ratatoskr's board of directors. He's essentially the very top of the organization and also its founder. Without him, Ratatoskr wouldn't exist."

"...!" Shidou and the others twitched their eyebrows when they heard this.

Then, Shidou noticed that Nia, who was walking beside him, bore a complicated expression on her face.

"Nia? What's wrong? You look scary."

"...!" Nia jumped due to Lucas' sudden call.

"Hm? Ahaha, it's nothing. As for you, Boy, since when did you level up to the extent that you can now detect slight changes?"

"Hey..." Lucas smiled wryly in response. Nia's face suddenly turned grave and she whispered seriously.

"It feels like I've heard the name Woodman before."

"Eh?"

Just as Lucas attempted to question her further about the matter, Kotori stopped right before a door. After pressing the intercom beside the door and informing of her presence, Kotori turned the doorknob.

"Alright. Come in."

"E-excuse us."

Shidou and the others disorderedly entered the room, being hastened by Kotori. The overall layout of the room resembled that of a private study which accepted innumerable books and other works of literature, bookshelves placed together side by side. The atmosphere of the chamber when compared to the previous machinery facility was as different as black and white.

In the innermost part of the room, the silhouettes of two people could be seen behind a massive business table. One of them was a man who looked to be over fifty years old, sitting on a wheelchair. He wore green colored thin frame eyeglasses and tied his rather lengthy hair into a single bundle, while emanating a gentle impression. Beside him stood a woman who also had glasses on and wore Western-style clothes, while maintaining an upright posture.

"Eh?"

"Muu?"

Shidou and Tohka couldn't help but knit their eyebrows when they saw the couple - they had met before. It was some time before Natsumi appeared; a foreign man on a wheelchair had exchanged some words with Shidou and Tohka when they were taking a walk.

"Mr. Baldwin?" As Shidou exasperated the name, the man let out a mischievous expression fitting of his age.

"Yaa~, long time no see. The girl over there too, it's good to see that you're in good health. Allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Elliot Baldwin Woodman," The man addressed Shidou and Tohka, who both had their mouths wide open.

"...! Woodman-sama, have you met them before?" As Kotori was taken aback, Woodman simply winked an eye.

"During my visit to Tenguu city."

"What if something were to have happened to you?!"

"Haha, forgive me. I'll be more careful in the future." Woodman responded without the slightest regret. Kotori sighed, and placed her hand on her forehead.

"Yo, long time no see, Elliot! Abfwu---?!" Lucas shouted, waving his hand. He was promptly hit in the guts by Kotori and made to go down to his knees.

"Ahaha, long time no see, Kunshu." Elliot slightly waved his hand back at him. "Forgive me for summoning you here. We were supposed to visit you instead."

"No need to be so formal, Elliot. You even stopped using my first name. It doesn't feel right," Lucas said as Woodman closed his eyes.

"First of all, I am very grateful and I thank you for your efforts in saving the Spirits."

"No problem. I did promise it after all."

"I feel the same. Without Ratatoskr, I wouldn't even be aware of the existence of Spirits and everyone would still be suffering from DEM's and AST's attacks. The very thought of that makes me feel unhappy," Shidou added before continuing.

"Being able to help Kotori when she was transformed into a Spirit by Phantom five years ago, I appreciate it." Shidou earnestly bowed with respect.

Woodman nodded in acknowledgement and fixed his eyes onto them.

"In that case, I would also like to apologize for getting you involved in the matter concerning Dáinsleif last time. I will strictly give orders so that such a problem will never occur again."

"Ah..."

Dáinsleif. Hearing this term, Lucas' eyebrows evidently twitched for a moment. Although Shidou himself doesn't have any memory of the incident, that term was indeed used as the codename for the special-purpose weaponry which would be used to destroy him or Shidou, a precaution readied by Ratatoskr without his knowledge.

"No, even though I do feel somewhat conflicted, I think such a precaution is indispensable in the event that I lose control. And even if you had informed me beforehand, I'd still choose to save the Spirits."

"I agree. But next time, please inform me about such matters. If it were to happen again, I wouldn't want anyone besides the ones I trust to activate such a powerful weapon." Although Lucas was a bit angry, he didn't blame Elliot. After all, he wasn't the one to activate Dainsleif.

"Umm... May I ask a question?" Shidou spoke.

"What question?"

"I'm thankful for it, but why does Ratatoskr want to save Spirits?"

"...Oh?" Woodman slightly inclined his head to Shidou's question.

"Now that you mention it, I never asked that. Care to answer?" Lucas crossed his arms and put a hand to his chin.

"Are you unsatisfied or confused with something?"

"No, I just mind about something, you see..." As if he was instantly seen through, Lucas waved his hands helter-skelter. Origami then picked up his words for him.

"Regarding that matter, I too admit that Ratatoskr is an organization devoted to saving Spirits and I'm very grateful for that. Nevertheless, is there something hidden behind our backs? Even if you have a grand budget for expenditure why do you still save Spirits?"

Woodman nodded as if he already knew their intentions and started to speak.

"I can understand your misgivings. Indeed, Ratatoskr, as an organization, is overly caring for you Spirits. I don't blame you if you feel that it's unreasonable."

Woodman verbalized as he forcefully grinned.

"This is a bit baffling. I'm afraid I can't say a reason easy for you to understand."

"...What do you mean?"

"To save Spirits. That is my greatest goal."

"You told me that twice now..." Lucas said in a weak voice. The next moment, Nia, who was on the opposite side of the room, opinionated in sync with Origami.

"Are you a little over your head with that noble sage attitude? As they say, you can't expect everyone to be squeaky clean. Don't you feel that this is a bit suspicious?"

Nia's manner of speech at that time was not her older sister tone, but somewhat acrimonious and fierce. Her current air caused Lucas to shudder in fear.

"Nia...?" Alas, she turned a deaf ear and kept her piercing eyes on Woodman, continuing her demanding demeanor.

"Woodman. Elliot Baldwin Woodman. That's your name right?"

"Aah, that's correct."

"Then let me ask you again. As one of the original founders of DEM Industries thirty years ago, when you caused the appearance of the First Spirit. Why do you still hide your identity and spout these high-sounding words?"

"What...?" Lucas and the other Spirits, without exception, all caught a breath of cold air after hearing Nia's shocking revelation.

"...!" Suddenly, Lucas felt a strong bloodlust coming from the group of Spirit. "...!" With a swift move, he immoblized the person who emitted this harsh bloodlust, and entangled their arms.

"Stop that, Kurumi." Yes, Kurumi had a sense of bloodlust coming from her. Upon closer inspection, she had already gotten hold of her muzzle.

"Lucas-san, let me go. That person---"

"Kurumi!"

"...!" When Lucas shouted, Kurumi stopped trying to escape from his restrictions. With Kurumi calmed down, the muzzle she was holding disappeared into her shadow and Lucas let out a sigh.

"What's going on, Nia? Elliot is a part of DEM...?"

Lucas asked with all the more uncertainty. Nia coldly turned her head and answered him.

"Yes. Some time ago, when my Raziel was still in perfect condition, I had the urge to investigate. Investigate the state of affairs of this world when the First Spirit appeared."

As Nia said this provocatively, Woodman gently sighed and began to speak.

"I see... so your angel Raziel knows everything already. I do not wish to painstakingly conceal this, but now should be a good time. Yes, I once caused the appearance of the First Spirit in this world together with Ike- Westcott and Ellen."

"..." Lucas felt his breathing was clogged. Knowing that Woodman was once partners with his two most hated enemies was already overwhelming, but to think that he also brought about the existence of Spirits...

"Aah, by the way, I haven't introduced her to the rest of you yet. The person beside me is Karen. She's one of the members who left DEM with me."

Woodman acquainted as if Shidou just remembered the fact. The woman, who appeared to be his secretary, stood by him and nodded.

"My name is Karen Nora Mathers. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Ahh, Hello... eh? Hm?"

While he exchanged amenities with the opposite party, Shidou unexpectedly took notice of her name; he had heard it before somewhere.

"Mathers...?"

"Yes. Ellen Mathers is my sister."

"EHHHHHH?!" Suddenly realizing such an impactful detail, Shidou and the Spirits all yelled altogether.

"T-t-that Ellen...!?"

"Predicament. You do look familiar though."

"T-this sisterly development?!"

"Miku, STOP your deep breathing!" Natsumi advised as she saw Miku immersed in chaos.

"Alright, calm down."

Miku honestly nodded her head. After the instruction, Miku grabbed both Natsumi's arms and plunged her head into her unkempt hair while inhaling profusely. Natsumi struggled with her four limbs to resist Miku as if her life depended on it, but to no avail. Confronting Miku's unimaginable warmhearted bear hug, her thin arms were incapable of any resistance and Natsumi ultimately chose to accept her dire fate, losing strength from head to toe.

"Anyway, what did you mean by causing Spirits to appear? How?"

"Let's discuss that in proper order. I'll answer Kunshu Lucas's and Tobiichi Origami's queries first." Woodman glanced in Origami's direction and continued.

"As Nia had initially mentioned, I am one of the founders of DEM. Originally I had similar intentions to Westcott, and wanted to harness the power of Spirits."

"..." Lucas tensed up and held his breath. For the head of an organization which saves Spirits to say those kinds of words was truly shocking.

"However, when I first met with the First Spirit, I changed my ideas. Abandoning my original goal, I left DEM Industries and established Ratatoskr. I made up my mind to protect the Spirits with my life, even if it meant that I had to renounce my old friends and comrades."

"...What was the outcome?" Woodman shrugged his shoulders and made a gentle expression.

"-I fell in love with her."

His unexpected reply made Lucas widen his eyes in disbelief.

"Fell in love...?"

"Aah, the First Spirit stole my heart the moment I met her and I became restless with anxiety. I couldn't let anyone exploit her power for their selfish purposes." Woodman confessed with an eager intonation of a love struck teenage boy.

"Therefore I couldn't stand for other Spirits like her to suffer or live in misery. Although this idiocy may perhaps make people burst into laughter, this reason is my one and only reason as to why I want to save Spirits."

"..."

Lucas was speechless, numb in his position. He didn't plan on invading his privacy any further, but Woodman's statement felt somewhat unverifiable. Shidou shook his head and spoke up.

"I don't think that it's a foolish reason," Shidou replied as he moved forward a step. "It'd be better to say that I share your opinions, Founder of Ratatoakr."

"Aah. She is beautiful after all." When Lucas commented, the girls he sealed all peared into him with their sharp gazes, and a drop of sweat slid down his cheek.

Woodman was surprised at their comments and regained his composure.

"Thanks, you two are very kind. I'm happy to see that you're the ones sealing Spirits."

"Ahh, you're welcome," Lucas responded while waving his hand. Origami, who was listening to their conversation, let out a wondrous expression and shifted her view to Karen.

"So what's your reason for following him and defecting from DEM?"

"I fell in love with Elliot."

"...Ahem?!" Lucas coughed at the unanticipated statement.

"...It's like that...? But Elliot has already... with..."

"I'm not giving up if he already likes someone else. If he changes his mind and there's no one else, wouldn't he have no other choice?"

"T-that's not wrong..."

"Speaking of greedy desires, I would very much like to undergo reproductive activities with Elliot and conceive his child. Although I highly respect Elliot's wishes, it would be a great loss for the world if his bloodline ends."

"Huh?!" Lucas was having a hard time accepting such a barefaced statement and felt awkward as he heard her words. Woodman forced a smile.

"Haha... this is quite bothersome."

"Elliot, no need to trouble yourself, I'll wait for the right moment."

"I concur. I admire and acclaim your sublime determination."

"I should be the one thanking you. You're the third person to endorse it." Karen supported as she shook hands with Origami.

"..."

It looks like they've entered waters uncharted for Lucas, as he couldn't keep up with their ideals. Although it vaguely insinuated a morality crisis, Lucas decided to leave them be after they had befriended each other with great difficulty. Woodman propped up his glasses and straightened his body.

"Forgive me, Itsuka Shidou. Can you come closer so I can see you? My sight has diminished greatly recently."

"Eh? Okay." Shidou advanced towards Woodman, who attentively examined his face, murmuring something inaudible.

"I see... you do look familiar-with the boy from then..."

As Woodman muttered to himself, Shidou couldn't help but purse his eyebrows.

"The boy from then? Who-" At that moment, an intense vibration raided the room.

"Uwaaah...?!"

"Ooohh?!"

"Hyaaa!"

As if an explosive had detonated nearby, the walls, floor and ceilings all violently shook. The books on the shelves were tumbling down onto the floor altogether.

"Is everyone alright?" Lucas raised his vocie.

"Y-Yes... what happened?" Kurumi asked.

"Could it be...Mukuro?" Yoshino gave out a timid voice.

"Another meteor?" Yoshinon, the puppet on her left hand, used both hands to cover its head in dismay. Kotori shook her head with alertness.

"No... this is..."

A flurried radio broadcast sounded within the room as if in response to Kotori.

"Woodman-sama! Emergency!"

"Calm down, what's the matter?"

"A surprise attack! Aerial warship confirmed above the base! It's... DEM!!"

"Wha....?!"

"DEM... Really, they even discovered this place..." Kotori stated before pausing in route as she remembered something important. Concealment meant nothing now.

"...! Of course, the omniscient Demon King Beelzebub." Nia swallowed and smiled sarcastically.

"...Probably. Even though its search function was obstructed, I can't do anything about what happened before that."

"Kuh... so they finally came. Searching for this particular location, I guess the enemy is targeting Fraxinus now..." Kotori then faced Woodman.

"Your orders, Woodman-sama."

"...Hm." Woodman racked his brain for a countermeasure against their current situation and lifted his head up.

"Let's get moving first. We're sitting ducks if this place has already been discovered," Woodman waved his hand.

"Commander Itsuka, take the Spirits to Fraxinus at once and hurry to Zodiac. She'll definitely be saved."

"Understood, I'll make sure that they get there. But...what about you?" As Kotori made a worried expression, Woodman alleviated his expression.

"Karen and I will use an alternate route. I can't let Westcott destroy this facility after all. I have something to take care of afterwards. My two legs would burden you anyway." Woodman lightly tapped his legs.

"But...!" Kotori refuted grievously while tightly grasping her fist.

"Its fine, my escape route has already been established so don't worry. This life won't die that easily. I've already decided to die holding my loving girl's hand." Woodman winked his eye.

"Elliot..." Lucas whispered in a low voice, as Karen fixed her eyeglasses.

"My hand is empty, you know."

"I can't have someone as talented and splendid as you dying here with me." Woodman shrugged his shoulders as Karen exuded a lonesome but happy to be praised expression.

"Go now, Commander Itsuka. I wish you good luck," As Woodman gave his order, Kotori hesitated for a few seconds before finally bowing to her superior.

"...Understood. Please be safe." Woodman nodded and Kotori began issuing instructions to Lucas and the others.

"Let's go everyone, don't let Fraxinus fall into the enemy's hands again!"

Kotori's every movement was filled with a sense of obligation. But behind her firm resolution, she faintly trembled. That was natural, as with danger there was doubt.

However, Kotori, as Ratatoskr's commander, couldn't openly display such apprehensions. Lucas prepared himself for the worst and nodded in agreement.

"Aah, let's be quick."

"Umu, fast!"

"Yes..."

Everyone all agreed, and Lucas exchanged glances with Kotori for a moment. Without any prior consultation, they bade farewell to Woodman respectfully and brought everyone out of the room. As they ran through the corridor with all the agility they could muster, the sounds of detonations and Territories being breached ceaselessly resonated throughout.

"Kuh... what in the world invaded this place?!"

"I'm not sure, but we can affirm it through the airship-"

Unaware of how long they had traversed the passageway, Kotori's voice was interrupted as the wall in front of them cracked open.

"Wha..."

Concrete debris flew randomly all over the air and diffused white smoke. Amidst the cloudy suspension, a distorted humanoid figure appeared. Mechanical limbs with a metallic texture, a simple eye embedded in the center of its head and sharp talons arranged regularly on its rigid arms. Like it was hunting prey, the robotic figure slowly entered.

"...Bandersnatch!"

Lucas shouted while gnashing his teeth. That monstrosity was the name of DEM's unmanned weaponry, Bandersnatch. The camera on its head turned towards Lucas's direction.

Lucas shoved his hand forward, and shot a ray of light at the Bandersnatch from the palm of his hand.
Permeated thoroughly by an intense light ray of Magic power, the Bandersnatch instantly lost its functionality.

But the combat all around them had not stopped yet. If their location was already breached, then there's no guarantee that Fraxinus' warehouse is safe.

"Anyway let's hurry, there isn't much time-" Lucas stopped his sentence, unwillingly.

At that moment...

"-Oya~ I didn't expect to see you here."

An unexpected voice sounded from in front of them.

"Wha....?!" Lucas furrowed his eyebrows as he heard that ice cold voice which was inharmonious with the current situation.

Lingering amidst the white smoke was a man wearing black Western-style clothes and a wizard equipped with a CR-unit. The two leisurely walked out of the mist.

"Westcott?!"

There was no mistaking it, the head of DEM Industries and Ratatoskr's archenemy - Isaac Westcott.

"..."

"What?!"

Witnessing his physique reveal itself from within the smokescreen, expressions of rage, ire, fury and the like formed on the Spirits' faces. When ascertaining the enemy's advancements, one would not allow his or her leader to strike first. But Westcott had let Ellen do all the work.

However, Westcott was an eminent adversary that did not permit any shred of hesitation. The man who stood before them was completely different compared to himself one month ago.

"Quite some confidence to show up without your babysitters before me."

Dense light rays of magic power elongated towards Westcott like previously on Lucas's command. Just before the piercing radiance impaled Westcott, an unadorned book page manifested in front of him and dissipated the energy in midair.

"Westcott-sama!"

"Are you hurt...?"

The wizard beside him gave out a distressed voice. Westcott objected and nodded eloquently.

"Such an unmitigated attack, excellent!"

"...Tch." Lucas clicked his tounge. Westcott merely grinned mockingly and raised his hand.

"...Beelzebub."

"...!" Lucas gasped. Beelzebub, the omniscient Demon King, which Westcott had plundered from Nia. Sensing the impending danger, the Spirits called forth their limited Astral Dresses one after another.

"Ha!"

Lucas charged forward in an attempt to slay Westcott with his blade. The wizard defending him heaved her saber while leaping to meet the attack head on.

"Gu..."

"Scram!"

Her sabre was brilliantly cut through like butter by Lucas' slash. The wizard expanded her Territory's strength in response, but was sent flying and crashed towards the wall.

"Hu...."

"...!"

The wizard cried in agony as Lucas changed his target to Westcott. Although the man was presently engaged in battle, he simply sneered derisively.

"How valorous, Magician. What a waste, although I appreciate your combat-stricken welcome, I'm not after the Spirits today."

"What are you talking about? You think you can escape?"

"Haha, who said anything about escaping? Though leaving you be would be rather vexatious..." As Westcott grinned in a bewitching manner, his hand began to wander atop the book.

"Just a little should be fine. Show me what you're capable of." Westcott chanted to the book.

"Beelzebub. Ashufiriya --- Phantom Library."

"Lucas!" Shidou shouted unbearably. Although he was unaware of what happened, Shidou felt a sensation as if dozens of ice thorns pricked his back. The next instant, the space under Lucas's feet distorted into a shadowy book crevice.

"Wha-" Lucas inhaled a breath of chilled air and retreated backwards at full speed. But it was too late. The enormous book snapped its pages shut, entrapping Lucas inside like a bookmark.

"You bastard....!"

"I'll leave you for after I deal with Elliot. During that time, feel free to worry to your heart's content... in that illusory world."

Westcott enunciated as he unhurriedly closed the entrapment of the others.

"Hm... it doesn't feel very exhausting even though this is the first time I've ever used this power." Westcott inferred while fiddling with a page from Beelzebub, realizing why he could decipher unwritten records.

"Westcott-sama..."

His bodyguard wizard who was previously knocked down by Lucas returned to his side and apologized.

"Forgive me, I was careless..."

"It doesn't matter. I obtained the opportunity to experiment with Beelzebub's power anyway." Westcott grinned, dumbfounding the wizard.

"Then, where did they go?"

"Aah..." Westcott's sight fell onto a page from Beelzebub, raising the corners of his mouth.

"Now, within a fairytale... struggling in fantasy."

"Fairytale...?"

The wizard inclined her head. Well, she couldn't understand directly. Humans other than Westcott had no need to fathom a Demon King. He closed Beelzebub and diverted the topic of conversation.

"Rather than that, our target takes precedence at the moment. I look forward to meeting my old friend in person," As Westcott commanded, the wizard promptly saluted in response.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1.6M 58.7K 36
"Do you sit in sugar?" I asked casually as I stared at his back muscles. "No. Why? " His muscles rippled with every move he made, making me drool in...
2.2M 115K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
1.1M 44.5K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1.8K 196 11
"In the darkness where sanity dares not to roam, let us revel our love like a forbidden flower." Where taehyung is a popular model; a politician's so...