Saving Percival (The Cousins...

Por thequietwriter

Sir Percival, a gentleman renowned for his aloofness and haughty demeanor, finds himself thrust into a relent... Mais

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Epilogue

Chapter Eighteen

268 32 37
Por thequietwriter

Heart pounding from the exertion, Christianna applauded the musicians as the song came to an end. It had been some time since she'd danced so much. She'd gone from one partner to the next without time to breathe. How much time had passed?

"Thank you, Mr. Willoughby," she said to the young man she'd just partnered with. She placed her hand in his as he gallantly led her off the dance floor.

The young man, who couldn't have been more than seventeen, flushed even more than he had been. "It-it was a p-pleasure, Miss Cooper. M-my p-pleasure" he stammered. "May I have the honor of taking you to supper?"

"I appreciate your offer, but I must decline," she told him, fudging the truth just a little. In London, she would have danced the supper dance with Percival to go into supper with him. Her gaze was already sweeping the room. Where was Sir Pericval? Guilt began to creep in. She had been having such a delightful time and hadn't thought to sit out and keep him company.

What must he think of her? He had gone out of his way to make this evening special, to give her an evening of enjoyment and she had forgotten all about him!

Then, she caught sight of the dark haired young man. He was sitting against the wall with an elderly woman. They had their heads close together, as if they were exchanging secrets.

Though she was curious what they could be speaking about, Christianna kept her curiosity in check. She bid farewell to the young Mr. Willoughby and set off to find something to drink. At the punch, she found a familiar face. "Mr. Gillham."

"Ah, Miss Cooper," the vicar greeted with a smile. He offered her a cup. "You appear to have been enjoying yourself."

"Oh, I have," she agreed, accepting the cup of punch. She hesitated before adding, "Though now I feel as though I've abandoned Sir Percival."

"I'm sure he will tell you that he wishes for you to enjoy yourself tonight," the vicar told her kindly. "But if you wish to make up for it, perhaps you could hint that you would like to dance with him."

"Why you must be the mysterious Miss Cooper!" A young voice exclaimed.

A pained expression flashed across Mr. Gillham's face. "Miss Cooper, have you been introduced to Miss Franny Wells?" he asked.

Christianna faced the young lady who was openly studying her. "No, I have not had that privilege," she said honestly. "Though I have heard the name. Good evening, Miss Wells."

The girl didn't even curtsy or acknowledge the introduction. "You're related to Miss Steit," she stated, tilting her head to the side.

"That is correct." Christianna didn't see any reason to avoid the truth. "She is my great-aunt, in fact, and I have been visiting her for the past few years. I believe Sir Percival already mentioned this when he spoke with your father."

The younger woman's eyes widened. "He told you about the visit?"

"Of course he did," Christianna said with a slight laugh. "Why would he not?"

There. Let the girl wonder just what Sir Percival had said. At the same time, however, Christianna did not hold out much hope that Miss Wells would believe there had been anything embarrassing about her or her family's behavior.

"It doesn't bother you that your family is talked about by everyone?" Miss Wells asked.

Mr. Gillham choked on the punch he had just drank. "People always talk," Christianna countered calmly. With a smile, she quoted, "'For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?'"

A deep furrow creased Miss Wells' forehead as she asked in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"I believe Miss Cooper just referenced a rather charming novel," Mr. Gillham said quickly. "Pride and Prejudice is the title, is it not? My sister cajoled me into reading it one winter. A fine piece of literature."

"Wasn't it marvelous?" Christianna asked. "I have read it through twice now, and each time it kept me glued to the page. I could hardly put it down. Such a wonderful understanding of people!"

"A novel?" Miss Wells echoed, her tone bemused.

"Oh, you haven't read it?" Christianna asked, resisting the urge to pat the girl's hand in sympathy. "Well, I promise I won't spoil it for you. You simply must read it for yourself, Miss Wells."

The girl glanced between her and the vicar. "My parents do not believe in novels. Papa says they are a great waste of time," she declared.

"Oh, my poor dear," Christianna said, her tone commiserating. "It's unfortunate that some people hold onto outdated beliefs. You don't know what you are missing. I hope you get to enjoy a good novel someday."

The change in conversation seemed to have befuddled the girl. Miss Wells just stood there with her mouth agape for a few seconds before she quickly spun around and melted into the crowd. She didn't bid either of them good evening or farewell.

"Do forgive me," Christianna remarked as she faced the vicar again. "It's probably something I'll regret later."

"I think you managed that well enough, Miss Cooper," Mr. Gillham said with a smile. "Miss Wells and her sister are... How can I put this kindly? They are quite spoiled and have a tendency to say whatever they want without considering the consequences. There are very few who take them seriously."

"I'm afraid there are many young ladies who behave in much the same way. I daresay, I was just as thoughtless when I just left the schoolroom. Let us hope both young ladies learn in time how they ought to behave."

"I'm not as optimistic as you are," Mr. Gillham told her. "But let's not worry about her for now. Shall we go find your young man so you can get something to eat? After all that dancing, I'm sure you must be hungry."

"I am famished, but I didn't want to interrupt his conversation," Cristiana admitted, resigning herself to the fact that everyone had settled on referring to Sir Percival as her young man. No amount of protesting had put an end to it at all.

"Is he still speaking to Mrs. Brooks then?" the vicar asked, his eyebrows going up. "They have been conversing for almost an hour. I can't help but wonder what they are discussing so intently."

Christiana took a light sip of her punch, savoring the flavor of the spices. She would have to be careful to avoid drinking too much of the strong drink. The last thing she wanted was to make a cake of herself in front of this group of strangers.

"Ah, here he comes now," Mr. Gillham said, getting her attention.

As Sir Percival approached, Christiana thought that his expression was one of distraction. Despite this, he managed to force a smile when he reached them. "Have you enjoyed your dances?" he asked.

"Yes, very much so," Christianna responded with an answering smile. "I'm only sorry it kept me from you for so long. We will have to have another dance after we have eaten. Did you enjoy your conversation with Mrs. Brooks?"

His eyes widened in surprise. "Have you met her already?"

"No, I haven't had the chance to meet her yet," Christianna said, glancing over her shoulder but she couldn't see the elderly woman. "But I am glad to see you find someone to speak to. Mr. Gillham mentioned that you've been conversing with her for quite some time now."

That strange expression appeared once again. He leaned his head down towards her. "I'll tell you about it later," he said in a low voice. His gaze flicked around. "I don't want anyone to hear about it."

Intrigued, Christiana nodded her understanding. What could he possibly have to tell her that required such secrecy? "Of course. Are you hungry? I must confess that I am. Shall we get something to eat?"

"Yes, of course." Sir Percival offered his arm. "Will you join us, Mr. Gilham?"

"No, no. You two go on," the vicar urged. "I wish to speak to Mr. Walters before I lose him in this crowd again."

The idea that it was possible to lose anyone in a space of this size seemed laughable. However, Christianna gravely wished him well. She was thankful that he was giving her and Sir Percival space to converse without having someone on hand to hear everything they said.

Who would have thought that a clergyman would make such an excellent chaperone?

"Just before you joined us, I met Miss Franny Wells," Christiana informed her companion as they set off to find the buffet. "She is a very opinionated young lady. I'm afraid Mr. Gillham and I confused her by quoting a novel"

Sir Percival grimaced. "Her sister cornered me earlier this evening, but Mrs. Brooks came to my rescue." He paused and then added, "That seems to be a recurring thing lately; someone coming to my aid."

"That gives me hope for the world," Christianna said with a smile. "We need more people who aren't afraid to help when they see a need. Unless you are offended that it was a woman who championed you this time?"

To her relief, the man gave a laugh. "I have the feeling that you are either someone who gets championed by Mrs. Brooks, or you get put in your proper place. I do not want to be on the receiving end of one of her set downs.

Which didn't exactly answer the question, did it? However, Christianna set it aside for the moment. "I am looking forward to meeting her before the night is over," she said honestly. "She sounds like a lady I should have as a friend."

They found where food was laid out as a buffet. Instead of having a plate brought to her, Christianna remained with Sir Percival. Their conversation was kept to comments about the offerings on display.

As Christianna chose her savory selections, Sir Percival filled his plate with sweets "I wouldn't have guessed that you had a sweet tooth," she commented with amusement.

"I—" He hesitated, color flooding his face. "My mother never allowed me to have sweets of any kind when I was a child. She was sure it would only make me ill. When I went to school, the other boys laughed when I tasted my first tart and I was amazed at how wonderful it tasted. Since then, I've tried not to eat sweets in company."

As Christianna listened to him, the chatter around them disappeared into the background. How her heart went out to him! "Well, they were stupid, inconsiderate boys for teasing you like that," she said softly. "And as for your mother, forbidding all sweets is just as unhealthy as overindulging, I think. Anything, even sweets should be enjoyed in moderation. I'm glad you can enjoy them now."

Sir Percival shifted from foot to foot as though he was uncomfortable. "I didn't eat them for a long time," he confessed. "I didn't think a man would indulge in sweets, or show that he enjoyed them. At least not in public, and servants have a reputation for gossiping. So..."

He stopped speaking for a second, lost in his thoughts. "So I suppose I thought the worst of other people, again, and put what they might say above everything else," he muttered, his shoulders slumping.

"Thank you for telling me," Christine said as they sat down at a table. "I promise not to tease you about sweets or how you enjoy them. Everyone should be able to enjoy the things they want to enjoy, as long as no one else is being hurt by it."

Relief showed in his eyes. "I'm never sure how to respond when I'm teased," he said. "It doesn't always feel like it's just a joke. It feels like they're teasing me with ill intent and trying to make it seem like a joke."

"Far too many people pretend their jests and teasing are merely for fun," Christianna agreed. "I think people often fail to take into account how their words will affect others, or worse, they simply choose not to care. It's very sad that they behave that way."

"It's maddening," Sir Percival complained in a tone of agitation. "How should other people respond to something like this? What are they supposed to do?"

It was on the tip of Christianna's tongue to tell him that many folks thought it was best to just ignore or laugh off difficult comments. But, she had come to understand that the young man standing beside her wasn't like other people—he liked everything to be clear and honest. She couldn't blame him for that. Interacting with people would be easier if one could take what was said without wondering if there was a hidden meaning.

Their conversation shifted to other matters. Christianna told him all the dances she had danced, since he had not been paying the least bit of attention. Percival told her of his encounter with the other Miss Wells.

It was strange to think that the two young ladies, one of whom she had never met, were so hostile towards her. Why? Just because she was being courted by Sir Percival? Because she was a stranger to the area? Jealousy, as Sir Percival's new friend, Mrs. Brooks, had suggested?

They had both cleaned their plates when a middle-aged man came to loom over their table. Recognizing he had the same eyes as Miss Wells, Christianna guessed that this was the disgruntled neighbor, Sir Henry Wells.

"Sir Percival," the man said, his tone sharp. "What's this I've heard about you not dancing?"

His voice was entirely too loud for the room and immediately drew the attention of most in the room. Sir Percival rose and offered the barest of bows. "Sir Henry," he greeted, since the other man had not. "Miss Cooper, might I present your great-aunt's closest neighbor, Sir Henry?"

It was quite the wrong way to make the introduction. Technically, the baron was of higher rank than her. She ought to have been presented to him.

However, the man didn't seem to notice the lapse. "You cannot sit with the wallflowers and old women all evening," he said, not even looking at Christianna. "Haven't you noticed that there are too few gentlemen to partner each of the young ladies? What kind of gentleman are you?"

Sir Percival's eyes flicked to Christianna and she thought he looked faintly alarmed. "No, I hadn't noticed," he answered, keeping his tone even. "No one has appeared upset or disheartened."

"Indeed," Christianna agreed with a nod. "I don't think there has been one lady who has sat out more than two dances in a row."

Sir Henry shifted his glare to her. "And how would you know? You have hardly sat down since you arrived, Miss," he snapped out. He jabbed his finger in her direction. "No one likes a girl who's always trying to be the center of attention."

Immediately, Sir Percival moved to stand between the man and Christianna. "If you are annoyed with me, you will speak to me," he said sharply. "Leave the lady out of it."

Glancing around, Chrstianna saw that they had drawn the attention of everyone in the dining room. She let out a forced laugh. "Gentlemen, you will have everyone convinced that you have had too much to drink if you continue," she declared, rising from her seat.

Face flaming in embarrassment, Sir Percival seemed to realize the eyes on him. "Shall we return to the dancing?" he asked, turning to look at Christianna.

"I haven't finished with you yet!" Sir Henry said, his eyes blazing.

Whispering had begun. No doubt everyone was wondering what had the man so worked up. Certainly Christianna was curious about it herself. She didn't understand his fury at all. So what if Sir Percival didn't dance? And who cared if the other gentlemen asked her to dance?

"I think you have said all you could say to us at this time, sir," Sir Percival said, putting his hand on Christianna's back. The feel of his hand made a shiver go down her spine. He pushed gently to get her moving. "Good evening."

The older baron stared at them in astonishment as they began walking. Some vestige of manners must have taken hold because he didn't follow or shout after them.

"What was that about?" Christianna asked in a low voice.

Her companion's mouth twisted into a frown as he shook his head. "I can't pretend to understand that family," he responded. "But it would be best to avoid them all."

"Avoid them?" Christianna repeated, taken aback by his words. "Why? It isn't as though they would hurt us. Their tongues might be sharp and their manners lacking, but this isn't something that will bother me."

Sir Percival came to a halt, his hand falling away from her back. "No. It's more than that. Please promise you'll keep away from them."

"In a place like this, that will be difficult to do," Christianna pointed out, noting the gravity in his gaze. "But if it means that much to you, of course. I will do all I can to avoid their company without being rude."

His shoulders rose and fell with a sigh. One of relief? "Thank you," he said. He then added, "I'll explain on our way back home."

A pair of giggling girls passed by them, keeping Christianna from pressing him for more information. What could possibly be the reason to avoid an entire family?

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

201K 9.2K 14
(COMPLETED) It's 1817 and there is nothing more a woman wants than to marry a rich man and live a life of comfort. But not Nancy Brooks. Having spe...
9.9K 434 39
When Penelope is forced by the powers that be into an arranged marriage, she decides flee. Flee from her cocooned, unencumbered life to a post as a...
8.3K 792 15
After two years, Lady Celia Leith has had enough. When she married Sir Horace, she thought she knew what marriage would bring her: security, a home...
56.1K 1.1K 1
Miss Helena Wainwright is determined to see her nieces and nephew well settled with their new guardian, the Duke of Rotherham. After six months of tr...