Prologue

1813

The murmur of voices was driving Percival Ormund crazy. He was twenty-one and standing in a crowded ballroom, searching for the one person he had come here to see. He started to consider leaving if he didn't see her soon.

Two hours of this hubbub was more than a body should be expected to endure.

He exhaled with relief as he caught sight of her. She was in the middle of a group of other women, all of them laughing and chattering together. Her dark hair had a glossy sheen that highlighted the depths of its color under the candlelight. Her white dress showed off her slender shape perfectly.

His feet were moving before he realized what he was doing. He knew he was not being circumspect about approaching her, but why should he care? He'd spent all day waiting for this moment, and if people took notice, what was that to him?

Percival had barely taken a few steps when his gaze locked with hers. Suddenly, the sounds of the party grew faint as she left her friends. She smiled and her dark eyes glimmered in delight.

"Mr. Ormund," she greeted, making a graceful curtsy. "I didn't expect to see you this evening."

"Miss Cooper." An urge to take her hand and bow over it tugged at Percival, but he simply gave an uncomfortable bow instead. "I heard you were coming tonight and when I found out I was invited as well, I couldn't resist the opportunity to see you."

Drat. Why could he not behave like the other gentlemen? It was a wonder Miss Cooper did not walk away, laughing at his awkwardness!

Instead, she smiled up at him. "Well, it was a delightful surprise."

"I'm pleased you feel that way." Percival wanted to say more but he wasn't sure what was appropriate. Should he tell her how lovely she looked? Or ask her how she was doing? But he could see that she appeared to be doing well. Was it too late to offer her a dance? What if someone else had already taken up her dances while he'd been looking for her?

With a start, he realized several seconds had stretched on as he tried to think of what to say. Miss Cooper hadn't seemed to notice his struggle, though. "I hope you will ask me to dance, Mr. Ormund," she said. "I have only danced once this evening and I would very much like to avoid joining the other poor wallflowers."

"May I have the next dance, then?" he asked quickly. It seemed inconceivable the other men in the room could have overlooked Miss Cooper. He wasn't about to miss the opportunity.

"It would be my pleasure," she said, her voice carrying the sincerity of her words.

"Christianna! There you are!" The young lady's mother appeared by her side. "Oh, good evening, Mr. Ormund. My goodness, we keep meeting you everywhere. I hope you won't mind me stealing my daughter away. Christianna, you must meet Lord Wetherby. I am certain he will ask you to dance."

Though the older woman tugged on Miss Cooper's arm, the young lady remained where she was. "I will meet him later on, mama," she said, her tone firm. "Unless he intends to depart? I have promised the next set to Mr. Ormund."

"I'm sure he won't mind waiting a bit for another dance, will you, Mr. Ormund?" Mrs. Cooper said, giving Percival a smile that didn't reach her eyes. "You two have danced so much this season already."

The polite thing would be to agree with her. That's what one did when a lady made a request. However, Percival couldn't bring himself to say the expected thing. "Miss Cooper did promise me this dance, ma'am," he said firmly.

"There. You see? You may drag me to meet this Lord Wetherby another time," Miss Cooper said, her smile widening. She stepped over and linked her arm with Percival's. "It looks as though this dance is about to start. We must take our places."