Chapter Fourteen

Humming to herself, Christianna bustled around the kitchen. She was determined to make the most of the sunny day. Fanny stood off to the side, observing her as she gathered supplies into a basket.

"I don't think he'll be too keen on the idea of a picnic, ma'am," she said doubtfully. "He doesn't look like the type to enjoy such things."

"I don't think he has ever been on a picnic," Christianna responded honestly. She refused to acknowledge that the cook had a point. "But what can he object to? It is the perfect opportunity to relax and enjoy a beautiful day."

"He doesn't look the sort who knows how to relax," was the older woman's next comment.

"Well, he should learn. Everyone ought to have something that makes them relax." Christianna turned towards Fanny with a sudden sinking feeling. "You must relax on your half day, don't you?"

Fanny let out a sigh and shook her head, looking down at the floor. "It seems like yesterday I was needed by my nieces and nephews," she said in a melancholic tone. "But now they are all grown up, and I am no longer an important part of their lives. And any friends I might have had have gone their separate ways."

"I'm so sorry," Christianna said, though the words seemed inadequate. Here was proof of the harm her great-aunt's seclusion had done. "Is there nothing that you enjoy doing?"

"Oh, I enjoy knitting," Fanny remarked, "but there are only so many pairs of mittens or socks one should make."

"The vicar, Mr. Gillham, must appreciate your hard work," Christianna said before she remembered that it was unlikely that Fanny had met the man to be able to offer the items for the poor. "I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could do to make things easier for you. Perhaps you should have a holiday."

Even as she suggested it, she knew it was unlikely to happen. Fanny shook her head. "And who would take care of the mistress while I was gone?" she asked briskly. "She wouldn't allow a stranger into the house."

Not just men. Strangers.

"Besides, it isn't as though this position is difficult," Fanny continued. "I've heard horror stories of how exacting some mistresses can be, but Miss Steit has been nothing but kind to me. I'm thankful for everything she's done."

Feeling subdued and chastened, Christianna returned to her task of filling the basket with food. Poor Fanny. How could she remain optimistic? Christianna certainly tried to look at the bright side of things, but she didn't have to cook and clean like Fanny did. She couldn't imagine what that kind of life would be like.

She draped a towel over the top of her basket. "Thank you, Fanny," she said, curling her hand around the handle of the basket. "I expect I will be outdoors for most of the day. Will you be able to take tea to Miss Steit at the right time?"

"Of course I will. We managed just fine before you arrived, you know."

Face flushing at the silent reprimand, Christianna nodded. She carried her picnic out of the kitchen and up to the front door. She'd already chosen a blanket, since there were no footmen to carry chairs out to the field like a society picnic.

Since Percival had informed her about his plans to visit one of her aunt's neighbors, her mind was in a flurry of potential outcomes. Had he discovered any information concerning her great-aunt's history? Would they get the answers they'd been searching for?

Although she knew she ought to wait in the sitting room, she walked back and forth in the hall instead. When the bell jingled, she was able to open the door in a matter of seconds. "Good morning," she greeted with a smile.

Sir Percival gave a start, dropping the bundle of wildflowers he was holding. "Oh, g-good morning," he stammered. He dropped down to pick up the flowers. After a moment, he jumped back up and snatched his hat off. "Good morning, Miss Cooper."