Chapter Seventeen

The sight of Miss Cooper in her evening finery was enough to take Percival's breath away. "Y-yes," he stammered when he realized she'd asked a question. He shook his head and made his bow. "You look..."

His words stumbled to an end, unable to find the perfect term. Lovely? It worked, but wasn't quite what he was thinking. Beautiful? Certainly, but was it the right thing for a gentleman to say to a lady?

Instead of working out that particular issue, he cleared his throat and offered his arm. "Allow me to introduce you to Mr. Gillham."

The vicar had remained on the cart, declining to go to the front door. "I don't want to upset Miss Steit, especially if she is so strict about not letting strangers set foot on her property," he'd said, his tone respectful.

"I was afraid your aunt would change her mind and refuse to let you go," Percival said to Miss Cooper as he escorted her to the cart.

He didn't quite understand the expression that crossed her face? Chagrin? Resignation? "There was little chance of that," she remarked. "But I would really rather not talk about it right now."

That at least he could understand. "Miss Cooper, I'd like to present to you the vicar, Mr. Gillham," Percival said, making sure to do the introduction properly. "Mr. Gillham, this is Miss Christianna Cooper."

Mr. Gillham inclined his head. "A pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, Miss Cooper," he said. "Sir Percival speaks very highly of you."

"Does he?" Miss Cooper asked, slanting a glance at Percival. "That's very kind of him."

Embarrassment heated up Percival's neck and face but he wasn't sure why. Of course he would speak highly of Miss Cooper. He thought the world of her and there was no reason he shouldn't say so, was there?

"I wish I had a better conveyance for you, Miss Cooper," Mr. Gillham said to the lady. "I hope my humble dogcart will not offend you or be too uncomfortable."

For the first time, Percival took a good look at the cart and realized that the vicar was right. A dogcart was not the usual thing for a lady to ride in. He should have found a carriage for Miss Cooper. Oh, why hadn't he thought of that sooner? Why hadn't Mr. Gillham?

"I see no reason to be offended," Miss Cooper assured Mr. Gillham. "I daresay there are those who would be grateful for a cart if it meant keeping them from having to walk. As I have already put on my dancing slippers, I would not be in a position to walk to the dance."

The vicar caught Percival's eye and made a pointed look at Miss Cooper. With a start, Percival offered his hand. "May I help you up?" he belatedly asked.

"Thank you," she said with a smile. She stepped up into the cart and sat with her back to the vicar.

Percival hesitated before he joined the lady. Propriety was such a difficult thing to navigate. He shouldn't be sitting beside her, but it would be impolite to leave her alone. All in all, the situation was quite a mess.

As the vicar set the cart into motion, Miss Cooper asked, "Mr. Gillham, can you tell us something of the company we will have at the dance? Since I am not familiar with anyone in the area, I expect I shall feel quite out-of-place."

The idea of Miss Cooper struggling to find her way or unable to navigate any situation she found herself in was ridiculous. But Percival found himself grateful as he listened to the vicar detail the possible families that would be attending the dance.

The realization that Sir Henry and his daughter were coming did not give him as much anxiety as he thought it would. He had Miss Cooper with him, and was confident that she could handle their rude behavior. Was he being cowardly by relying on her like this?