Chapter Thirteen

When Tuesday morning came, the sky was a dull, gray color. As usual, Percival took his breakfast in his room and ate it at a leisurely pace, instead of devouring it like he usually did. His mind was consumed with working out what his first steps should be for his new investigation he was taking on.

He contemplated visiting the vicar first thing. After all, Mr. Gillham would know the members of his congregation. But, on the other hand, wouldn't the man have already mentioned a name, just as he had with Mrs. Benson?

The last thing Percival wanted to do was go door to door asking questions. Would Mrs. Benson have advice if he asked politely?

A knock at his door made him start. He rose and walked to it. When he pulled the door open, Mrs. Benson was in the hallway. "Message for you, sir," the woman said, holding it out to him.

Dumbfounded, Percival stared at the note. "Are you sure?" he asked. Who would have known to send him a message here? He certainly hadn't informed the staff at Lawrence Manor where he was, nor had he told his family.

"Yes, I am sure, sir," Mrs. Benson said, a smile playing on her lips. Her eyes danced with undisguised mirth as she held it out closer. "It won't bite."

His face grew hot as he accepted the paper from her outstretched hand. She didn't wait before going on her way down the hallway. Well, at least she wasn't curious about what the message contained.

It was on the tip of his tongue to call out to her, to ask his question. But she vanished before he could make up his mind. Closing the door, Percival turned it over in his hand. There was no clue as to the sender, so he broke the seal and unfolded the paper.

Sir,

It would be a great honor were you to call upon myself this afternoon at three o'clock. I will be waiting to receive you.

Sir Henry Wells

Percival squinted at the name inscribed on the invitation, but it was unfamiliar to him. No matter how much he racked his brain, he could not remember ever encountering the man or even coming across his name before.

Who was this man? Why was he inviting Percival to visit? Had he simply heard Percival was in the village and was curious about who he was and why he was there? f that was his only reason for reaching out, why hadn't he come to the inn himself instead of sending an invitation?

Percival's first inclination was to refuse. It was too much like a summons for his liking. However, he hesitated to make such a quick decision. Perhaps this man might be able to give him information on the Steit family?

And it would give him an opportunity to put into practice the advice Mr. Gillham had given him about meeting new people.

He glanced at his pocket watch. It was ten o'clock. If he hurried, he would still have plenty of time with Miss Cooper before he would make the appointment with this Sir Henry Wells.

~*~

When he told Miss Cooper about his appointment and who it was with, she raised an eyebrow. She admitted she hadn't heard the name, but wasn't truly surprised. There was no one to bring the local gossip to her.

She also didn't express surprise when he commented on his inclination to learn more about her great-aunt's family. "Please tell me whatever you learn," was all she requested. "No matter what it is."

Did she think there was something untoward or suspicious about her great-aunt? Percival didn't ask. Still, knowing she at least approved of his inquiry, made his steps light as he approached the home of Sir Henry Wells.