Chapter Fifteen

The sweet smell of violets teased his nostrils as Percival gazed into Miss Cooper's eyes. Was it perfume, or was it her soap? He'd never noticed such a scent on her before. Had she remembered that it was his favorite flower?

It was so tempting to lean forward and steal a kiss from her lips. He'd wanted to do so countless times before, but proprietary had restrained him. For a moment, that thought dominated all of Percival's thoughts.

He cleared his throat and took a step back. Hopefully, distance would keep from behaving in an ungentlemanly manner. "What do people usually do when they go on picnics?" he asked.

Miss Cooper blinked in surprise and then shook her head. Percival could still see the confusion dance across her features. Wait. Had she wanted him to kiss her?

"Well, usually there are more than two people for a picnic," she answered, busying herself by spreading out the blanket she had carried out. Her tone was matter-of-fact. "Sometimes there are games. Some people just talk. And there's food, of course."

With a start, Percival remembered the basket in his hand. He passed it over to Miss Cooper and awkwardly watched her spread out the contents on the blanket. What was he supposed to do?

"Have a seat," Miss Cooper invited, gesturing to the blanket. "I didn't bring any games with me. I haven't found any, even when I was in the nursery of Blossom Place a few days ago. Which is a shame. I haven't played spillikin in ages."

When was the last time he'd sat on the ground? Percival couldn't even bring up a memory as he lowered himself down. "Won't insects try to get on the food?" he asked, casting a suspicious glance at the ground.

Miss Cooper smiled, seemingly undisturbed by the idea of insects invading their space and food. "Oh, I'm sure they'll try," she said cheerfully. "But we have some time before they find us. We don't need to worry just yet.

Somehow, that didn't make Percival feel any better, but he tried to force a smile. "So. No games," he said. "What else does one do on a picnic?"

"Talk," she answered promptly. She leaned forward, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "Have you really never been on a picnic?"

"Well, I suppose I technically attended a picnic a month ago," Percival confessed. "My cousin, Mrs. Williams, hosted one during her house party. But I didn't do anything while I was there. No one wanted to speak to me and I don't play games."

She shook her head. "I wish I had found one then. Games are such fun, and the way people play tells you much about them. I have such good memories of playing so many games with my sisters."

"What kind of games?"

Miss Cooper leaned her head on one hand as she reminisced. "My sister, Anne, was incredible at charades. She never failed to stump us with the codes and puzzles she thought up. Even if I didn't get the answer right away, it was still fun trying to guess it. Mary, who's closest in age to me, loved whist, so that was a frequent activity in our schoolroom."

Percival stared at her in surprise. "I can't believe your parents allowed you to play cards at such a young age," he said, honestly.

"I don't believe my parents ever found out." Miss Cooper shook her head with a sad smile. "Like many parents, mine were absent from my childhood. Nanny Collins raised me, but it was my governess Miss Wilkins who taught us how to play whist. We only played for buttons, so it was nothing too awful."

For the first time in years, Percival thought of his nanny. Sweet Nanny Weatherby. She had been such a gentle presence yet so intimidating at the same time. What had become of her? How long had it been since he last saw her?