Chapter Eleven

His skin crawled at the stares that were directed at him. Oh, how Percival wished Miss Cooper had agreed to attend the service with him. It would have made it much easier to bear. However, she had firmly refused without offering a reason for the refusal.

It had taken all of his self-control to smile and suggest that they could try another Sunday. He'd wanted to demand an explanation or reason for why she wouldn't go with him, but he knew it wouldn't help the situation. He'd been disappointed when she hadn't immediately agreed to the suggestion.

Come Sunday he'd been tempted to remain in the inn, but Mr. Gillham's invitation had been given with all the eagerness of a wide eyed child. He didn't have it in him to disappoint the man.

Percival hoped he would be forgiven for how much his mind wandered once Mr. Gillham began speaking. He did try to pay attention, but he wasn't used to sitting on a hard surface for any length of time. While he did his best not to fidget, every thought took his mind into a hundred different directions.

When was the last time he'd attended any Sunday service? Had he made an effort the last time he'd visited his uncle? He must have, but he couldn't recall any specific occasion or what might have been preached. He vaguely recalled finding the vicar, Mr. Goldman, a tedious person to be with.

Finally, after what seemed to be ages, but in reality was no more than an hour, the service ended with a hymn. Standing alone in the back, Percival hoped he didn't stand out too much with no hymnal in hand. The words were unfamiliar as everyone in the building sang.

As soon as the last amen was said, Percival made for the door. The sun was shining brightly for once. It was going to make his afternoon in the inn room that much harder to endure, but at least no one would stare at him there.

"Sir Percival!" a young voice called out.

Startled, Percival spun around to see a young lad following him, no older than seven. "Yes?" he asked hesitantly. "I am Sir Percival."

"Mr. Gillham said to please wait for him," the boy informed him, his blue eyes wide and earnest. "He said to please not run away."

Why? Percival managed to suppress a groan and nodded in response. The boy beamed as he sprinted off towards the corner of the building. As people came out of the building, Percival stepped to the side to get out of their way.

Standing awkwardly, he didn't make eye contact with anyone, feeling the weight of their stares as they passed him. Did they have to have to behave as though he was some kind of oddity? Was it so unusual for them to have visitors here?

The innkeeper and his wife made a wide berth, making very sure they did not come near him. An odd sense of guilt struck Percival. He'd offended them both and hadn't made amends.

Perhaps he ought to pay his bill. It was generally expected of members of the upper class to settle what they owed once they departed, if they paid at all. It would be a show of good-will to pay what he owed so far, wouldn't it? Or would they think he was about to leave?

Percival was painfully aware of how little money he had left. He hadn't brought a great amount with him, anticipating his trip to be short-lived. The Bensons were charging a fair price for the room and food he'd been provided with, so no complaints could be made in that regard.

As soon as possible, he should write to Henderson to unlock the safe and send more money. But...no. That money was intended to be used on repairs and for paying the staff who remained in the manor. It wouldn't be right to take it for himself.

Feeling the beginning of an all-too familiar headache. Percival heaved a sigh. What was he going to do?

"I hope my sermon wasn't that distressing."