Chapter Sixteen

Despite her words, Christianna had no such certainty. She had never been told not to leave Blossom Place, but it was quite obvious her great-aunt preferred if she stayed at home. Whatever the reason, the elderly woman did not like the idea of Christianna leaving the house.

Her heart raced as she made her way toward the library. With one hand, she steadied the tea tray and then knocked on the door of solid oak. Christianna waited for several seconds. "I've brought tea, Aunt," she called.

When there was no response or sound from inside, she turned the handle. When she stepped into the room, her great-aunt was sitting in an armchair near the fireplace. The elderly woman had slumped over to one side, a small object in her hand.

"Aunt!" Christianna exclaimed, hastily putting the tray down on the nearest table. Fearing the worst, she rushed to her aunt's side.

As Christianna knelt down next to Aunt Steit, the woman's eyes fluttered open. "Oh, it's you, Anna," the woman murmured. "I didn't hear you come in. Is it time for tea already? I must have fallen asleep."

"Yes, you must have," Christianna agreed with relief. She remained where she was, just in case her aunt needed help. "Are you ready for some tea?"

"Yes. I daresay that will be just the thing to restore my energy," Aunt Steit said as she sat up straight. Her voice became stronger with every word. Then, her gaze landed on the small portrait in her hand. "Oh."

She grimaced as she placed it face down on the surface near her. "What is that?" Christianna asked, suppressing her urge to grab it and turn it around. She was certain she had never seen it before.

"An unfortunate and unpleasant reminder of the past." Aunt Steit pushed herself out of the chair. She swayed for a moment before she regained her balance. "I hope Fanny included some of that delightful cake she makes so well."

The temptation to pick up the portrait and take a closer look intensified. Who was it? A relative? An old friend from days gone by? What was so unfortunate about it? "Sir Percival called again," Christianna said as she rose to join her aunt closer to the windows.

The other woman made a sound similar to a snort. "Of course he did. He is certainly taking advantage of the freedom he has, isn't he? Gentlemen were never given so much access to a lady's time. And even if they were, they would never have taken such advantage of it."

"There must have been some who would do anything to speak to a young lady alone!" Christianna protested, sitting down. She grabbed the teapot and started pouring tea into each cup. "Times certainly haven't changed that much in the last few decades"

Her aunt scoffed and her lips pursed with disapproval. "Men with unscrupulous intentions may have been so bold," she declared, her mouth turned down at the corners. "But a true gentleman would never put a lady's reputation in danger."

"What if the lady didn't object to bold actions?" Christianna certainly wouldn't have minded if Sir Percival had sought her out more in London five years ago. And she was definitely disappointed he hadn't kissed her when he had the opportunity the previous day.

The question made Aunt Steit's eyebrow go up. "It is not proper for a lady to admit to any sort of feeling," she reprimanded. "That would just give rise to gossip and unnecessary speculation."

It was on the top of Christianna's tongue to protest that, but she knew there was something, ever so small, that was true in the statement. And arguing with her aunt wasn't going to make elderly woman any more pleased with what she was about to say.

"Well, Sir Percival has invited me to a dance in two days," Christianna informed her. "There is no harm in me saying that I am excited about that, is there? It has been so long since I've danced."