Chapter Nineteen

The encounter had cast a somber mood on the night. From the wall, Sir Percival watched Miss Cooper dance with the young men of the neighborhood. He also made sure to keep an eye on the Wells family.

He hadn't seen any sign of Lady Wells, but he was sure she was somewhere in the crowd. Neither of the two daughters confronted him again, but every now and then he caught them staring at Miss Cooper. He didn't like it, but knew better than to approach them.

One scene was more than enough and he was sure the village had enough gossip to keep them entertained for the rest of the year thanks to Sir Henry's aggression.

On one occasion, Percival noticed the man glaring at Miss Cooper. Given what he now knew about the man and his family, it made Percival uneasy. What if the man decided to act on his anger? But, thankfully, the man did not. At most, Percival assumed he was complaining to his friends and neighbors about the disagreeable strangers to their neighborhood.

Twice, Percival danced with Miss Cooper, somehow managing the lively country dance without feeling like a complete fool. Although he enjoyed them, he never felt completely comfortable either. It was only the delight in his partner's eyes that made him feel as though it was all worth it.

Once Miss Cooper and Mr. Gillham had finished their reel, the vicar suggested it was time to put an end to their evening.

"What a splendid night that was!" Miss Cooper declared once the vicar had set his dog cart down the road. "Thank you both so much for thinking to invite me. I have not had so much fun since I left London."

"You don't need to thank me, Miss Cooper," Mr. Gillham called back. "Sir Percival was the mastermind behind tonight's plan. He's the one who knows how much you love to dance. This evening was entirely his doing."

Given that Percival hadn't known a thing about the dance until the vicar had suggested it, he didn't quite understand why Mr. Gillham was demurring from Miss Cooper's praise. It had been the vicar's cart to take them to the dance. Without the vicar, this whole thing would not have happened.

"However, I am still confused by Sir Henry's animosity," Miss Cooper continued, her tone becoming thoughtful. "Is that normal behavior for him?"

"Not at all," Mr. Gillham responded immediately. "He's not known for his intelligence, but he's generally amiable with his neighbors and acquaintances."

"You promised you would tell me why you wanted me to avoid the Wells family," Miss Cooper said, shifting towards Percival on the small seat. "Did you learn something this evening that made you think they were dangerous?"

Right. Percival sighed. "As you know, Mrs. Brooks and I had a long conversation earlier this evening," he said, choosing his words carefully. He had been thinking for hours about how to explain it all, he still wasn't sure how to repeat the story. "Mrs. Brooks grew up in the area, and she was at least an acquaintance of your great-aunt."

"Of course!" Mr. Gillham exclaimed. "I should have realized! Mrs. Brooks is so active, I forget how old she actually is. But I should have thought of her."

Annoyed at the interruption, Percival glanced over his shoulder. The darkness of the night kept Miss Cooper from seeing his expression, and the vicar's back was to him. It was likely for the best.

"She was able to tell you about Aunt Steit?" Miss Cooper asked, her tone becoming eager. "Does she know why Aunt Steit became a recluse?"

"According to her, it began sixty years ago, when Mrs. Brooks had just turned nineteen," Percival began. "Sixty years ago, Mrs. Brooks was just a farmer's daughter. The difference in their stations meant she wasn't a close friend of Miss Steit, but they were known to each other. Whenever a lady was needed to balance numbers, Mrs. Brooks would be invited to Blossom Place to fill the need."