Chapter Three

Percival gazed at the cup of tea in his hands, perplexed as to why he had taken it when he hadn't meant to drink it. He found himself sitting in the sitting room against his will, but there he was nonetheless.

Why hadn't he been more adamant about doing what he wanted in the comfort of his own home?

"Well?"

He looked over to where his aunt was seated next to the hearth. She wore a vibrant canary-colored gown that was adorned with tiers of ruffles and lace. Her eyebrows were slightly arched in anticipation as she stared at him, her voice taking on an edge of annoyance. "Well?" she asked again, this time more pressing. "What do you think?"

"My apologies." That was the correct thing to say, right? He forced a polite smile onto his face, though he wasn't truly sorry for not listening. "I was distracted."

Mrs. Gerald Lawrence, the widow of his late uncle, shook her head. "Yes, I can see that. Really, Percival, it isn't that complicated at all. I've put a great deal of thought into the matter. A house party here at Lawrence Manor would be just the thing. To establish you as the master of Lawrence Manor and the county."

"I'm not in the mood for any guests," he grumbled. Did he really have to explain himself to his aunt? It wasn't like she was going to change his mind on the matter. Besides, he didn't even want a party in the first place. Why did he need to convince her otherwise? The cost alone should have been enough of a deterrent.

Why did it seem that almost invariably, when he expressed his desire not to do something, the other person in the conversation attempted to convince him otherwise?

"Oh, Percival. There is no reason for you to be here all alone. You really ought to have friends and expand your acquaintance. Besides, what is good for that impertinent niece of mine is good enough for you."

"Why should I worry about what my cousin does? Mrs. Williams is allowed to do whatever she chooses and her husband permits it. She wanted to have a party, but I don't care for the same."

"But what will people say if you do not do things better than her?"

Setting aside his cold tea, Percival stood up. "It's of no consequence to me anyway. I'm about to go on a journey so I won't have time for any socializing or entertaining."\

"What? Where are you going?" Mrs. Lawrence exclaimed, her tone alarmed. "What has happened?"

"Nothing has happened." Nothing he said would make her understand, at any rate. "As for where I'm headed, that's my own affair."

He hadn't been sure he would actually go. What had kept Miss Cooper from contacting him? True, a young lady would never risk her reputation by writing a letter to a single gentleman. Given the fact he'd been about to ask her to marry him, and she knew it, that seemed a weak excuse.

"But Percival, I have already written the invitations!"

Percival's spirits sank. "What possessed you to do something like that?"

His aunt's cheeks flushed. "I never thought you would be so contrary and obstinate," she said indignantly, lifting her head. "Your mother and I discussed it and we concluded this would be the best thing for you. It's not proper for you to be isolated in the countryside all by yourself."

His mother was involved as well? That meant... "Who did you invite?" he demanded.

"Now Percival—"

"Who?"

"If you must know, I invited Sir Leonard Henson and his two children. They are such delightful young women! After you have gotten to know them, I'm certain you will feel the same."