Fear of Love

By OutOfMyLimit17

{BOOK 3 OF THE 'FALLING SERIES} Lydia Ellis has been burned enough times her in life that she no longer belie... More

Fear of Falling Published!!
A/N
Chapter 1....
Chapter 2....
Chapter 3...
Chapter 4....
Chapter 5...
Chapter 6...
Chapter 7....
Chapter 8....
Chapter 9....
Chapter 10....
Chapter 11....
Chapter 12...
Chapter 13....
Chapter 14....
Chapter 15...
Chapter 16...
Chapter 17...
Chapter 18....
Chapter 19....
Chapter 20....
Chapter 21....
Chapter 22....
Chapter 23....
Chapter 24...
Chapter 26....
Chapter 27....
Chapter 28....
Chapter 29....
Chapter 30....
Chapter 31...
Chapter 32....
Chapter 33....
Chapter 34....
Chapter 35....
Chapter 36....
A/N
Fear of Falling Published!!!

Chapter 25....

9.1K 361 30
By OutOfMyLimit17

Lydia

Waking up was a bitch. The sun was peeking through the blinds just perfectly hitting me right in the eyes. The stabbing headache had me groaning, pulling the covers up to cover my face. A stinging, throbbing pain in my hand had me hissing. Pulling the covers back I held my hand up.

My right hand was swollen, my knuckles bright red. I tried to make a fist only to whimper at the pain that flared. What the hell happened.

My head was in such a fog. Paired with a stabbing headache I couldn't even begin to think about what happened last night. At least not until I had some coffee and ibuprofen.

With my eyes half cracked open I looked around the room. It took a moment to realize I wasn't in my room and instead I was in Landon's. A room I've gotten pretty accustomed to recently.

I slowly sat up, head pounding and room twirling a little. Landon wasn't in the room and my ears strained to hear if he was moving around the living room.

Knowing I couldn't stay in bed all day I forced myself to sit up and swing my legs off the side of the bed, cradling my hand to my chest. Glancing down I noticed I wasn't in my dress from last night and instead was wearing one of Landon's t-shirts. The soft fabric hitting mid thigh, smelling like Landon's cologne.

Bringing the fabric to my nose I breathed in the smell of him before padding towards the bathroom. A quick glance in the mirror had me cringing. My blonde hair was sticking up in every direction, the few curls I put in looking like a frizzy mess. Seeing my makeup free face I remembered Landon taking his time to take it off last night.

Butterflies erupted in my stomach as bits and pieces of last night came to mind. Landon coming to the jail to bail us out. Landon helping me up to his apartment, taking the time to undress me and take my makeup off. Landon laying down with me as I fell asleep.

What I said on the way home popped up making me cringe. I forgot I was rambling and told Landon about how I grew up. I wasn't ashamed of it but it also wasn't something I broadcast out to everyone.

While I didn't want to face him after last night I knew it was best to get it over with. Like ripping off a bandaid.

After fixing my hair into a somewhat decent pony, trying not to cry at the pain in my hand, I wiped my face before I made my way out of Landon's bedroom. My steps were quiet as I headed straight for the kitchen. I still had no clue what time it was but that didn't matter until I had some coffee.

The apartment was silent as I came to the kitchen. I found a coffee mug sitting on the counter, a sticky note next to it, along with some ibuprofen.

There's a pod in the maker for your coffee.

Make sure to take the ibuprofen and ice your hand.

I'll be home soon.

-Landon

My heart fluttered in my chest at the night. It wasn't anything romantic but he went out of his way to leave a note. I couldn't even be mad that he wasn't here. Keeping a grip on the note, afraid it would disappear if I let go, I got my coffee started before going to search for my phone.

In the bedroom I found my phone plugged in and my purse sitting on the end table. My clothes were neatly folded and heels placed on the side chair Landon had in his room. Landon may be as asshole at times but god can he be sweet.

Sliding the note in my purse I grabbed my phone and headed back to the kitchen. The smell of coffee making the fog in my head slowly disappear.

It felt a bit weird being in Landon's apartment without him but at the same time it felt better than being alone at my place. Since I was surrounded by all things Landon I didn't feel as alone.

With coffee in one hand, an ice pack and my phone tucked under my arm pit, cause it hurt too bad to hold anything in my right hand, I settled on the couch. Curling up in the comfy ass couch as I started to check all my missed calls and texts. I wasn't surprised to see it was already 11 o'clock in the morning.

Opening my texts I smiled at the messages in my girls group text.

Sydni: I'm never drinking again.

Josie: Don't even get me started. My head is pounding.

Seeing how much alcohol we consumed last night all of us were definitely feeling it this morning.

Tasha: I think I broke my thumb.

Tasha sent along with a picture of her swollen hand. I winced as my own hand throbbed. The pain was insane but I was trying my best not to think about it. Wrapping my hand in the ice pack I groaned at the cold. God damn. Punching someone wasn't the smartest idea. Something both Tasha and I were just realizing.

Putting my coffee mug between my legs I took a picture of my hand and sent it to the chat.

Me: Guys make it look so easy punching someone.

I've seen the guys throw a few punches throughout the season and none of their hands look like this afterwards.

To distract myself from the burning cold on my hand I opened my photo album remembering that I took some pictures throughout the night.

I was not surprised to see a ton of pictures of us girls. Us at the Magic Mike club, Josie getting a lap dance, group picture our waiter took. Then all of us at the club next door. Despite being drunk they were good pictures of us.

For the next ten minutes I texted back and forth with the girls, checked my emails, and iced my hand until it went numb. The medicine was doing little to ease the pain. Just as I was trying to flex my hand the front door to the apartment opened.

My heart jumped into my throat as Landon appeared. I peeked over the couch at him as he shut the door. He wearing a pair of black joggers paired with a dark blue pullover and damn did he look good. He had a hat on backwards that was doing weird things to my stomach.

Seeing me curled up on the couch he made his way towards me. Each stepped in my direction had me biting my lip. Now was not the time to be turned on Lyd.

"Hey. Feeling a bit better?" Landon asked, taking a seat on the edge of the couch in front of me.

"Yeah. Thank you for the medicine and the coffee." His eyes dipped to my hand cradled to my chest. Without a word he reached out. I didn't hesitate in giving him my hand, his touch soft as he cradled it in his own.

"Did you ice it?" His voice was low.

"I did." My own voice was soft as I answered. "I just took it off." Landon hummed in his throat.

He kept his eyes on my hand as he gently moved my fingers to straighten them. I whimpered and tried to yank my hand away but he held fast.

"Need to make sure it isn't broken."

"But it hurts." I couldn't keep the pain out of my voice this time. I was trying to hide just how bad my hand hurt but with each passing second the pain was getting worse. Landon glanced up at me, eyes searching mine. I saw a flash of something across his face before he schooled his features.

With my hand still cradled in his he stood up. Putting a gentle hand on my elbow he helped ease me up off the coach. I wanted to groan cause I had just gotten so comfortable.

"Lets get you dressed."

I stayed quiet as he lead me to his bedroom. He wasn't saying anything but I had a feeling we were going to the hospital. The thought of the hospital sent a chill down my spine. I hated hospitals. They always felt so clinical and depressing.

I didn't say a word as he reached into his closet and pulled out a pair of sweat pants.

"These will be a bit big but better than your dress from last night." Was all he said before he kneeled down in front of me. He tapped my leg as I placed my good hand on his shoulder to steady myself.

Landon made quick work of sliding the sweatpants up my legs, tightening them at my waist but when he stood up the fabric slide down my legs a little. Landon shook his head making me snort.

"What do you expect you're a giant."

"You're elf size."

"I'm 5'6!" I've never told I'm small since I was a little above average height. But next to Landon I guess I was a bit short. "I think we are going to have to stop at my place to change."

"You'll just have to hold up the pants until we get to your place."

With one hand holding the waistband of his sweats I stood there watching as he moved around the room. He surprised me by grabbing a pair of socks before having me sit on the edge of the bed. All I could do was watch as he slid socks on my feet with such a look of concentration.

"These will have to do for now." He mumbled to himself.

Landon moved around the room grabbing my things. My dress from last night slung across his arm, hand holding the straps of my heels. He grabbed my purse and hung it on his arm as he glanced around his room as if making sure he had everything. I stood up, hand to my chest, my other hand holding his sweats and my cellphone watching.

I don't know if its because the pain in my hand was so intense or that I was hungover but watching him make sure I had everything to take back home was making my chest tight. The bar had been set so low that just simple actions like this was enough to make me want to cry.

"Come." With a gentle but firm hand on my lower back he lead me out of his room and to the front door.

No words were said as we rode the elevator downstairs. Landon kept his hand on me the entire time. When we got to his truck he all but lifted me into the passenger seat before putting my stuff in the backseat.

Neither of us said anything as Landon drove towards my apartment. I was trying my best to ignore the steady throb in my hand. The last thing I wanted to do was go to the hospital but with the pain getting worse by the second I knew it was the right plan.

The entire ride to my apartment Landon kept throwing me glances before looking back at the road with his jaw flexing. I had a feeling he had something to say but was holding back.

When we pulled up to my apartment I planned on heading up alone to quickly change but clearly Landon had other plans. I barely had my door open before he was right there helping me out.

"I can meet you back here in a few minutes." I said only for him to shake his head and grab my stuff from the backseat.

Without a word steered me towards my apartment building. Once again we were silent the entire elevator ride up. The tension coming off of Landon was growing by the minute and I wasn't sure what to say. He seemed upset about something but if he wasn't going to say anything then I wasn't either.

Walking down the hallway towards my apartment I hoped my nosey neighbors didn't leave their apartments. Me coming home dressed in oversized men clothes with a hurt hand. They'd be whispering for days.

Landon was quick to fish out my keys from my purse and usher us inside. Holding the sweatpants up I shuffled towards my bedroom to put on some clothes that actually fit.

Putting on clothes with one hand proved to be really difficult. I was hell bent on doing it myself, shaking my head at Landon every time he offered to help. So here I was standing topless in my room getting annoyed at not being able to put a damn sweater on. After my third attempt Landon finally had enough.

"God you are so stubborn." He pulled the sweater from my hand. He shook his head as he put my arms through the sweater and gently pulled it over my head. When he pulled it down my torso his fingers grazed the sides of my breasts. It was such a simple touch but it was enough to make my skin light up.

"Not stubborn. Independent." I finally found my voice.

"Nope, it's stubborn."

"Calling the kettle black." I retorted as Landon reached around me to grab the leggings I put on the bed. "You're the most stubborn person I know."

"It's called being independent." He shot my words back at me as he looked over with a smirk. I shook my head but felt a smile itching to break free.

When Landon dropped back down to his knees, the second time today, my mouth dried up. It was one thing seeing him on his knees about to eat me out and another because he was helping me get dressed.

Obviously the first was my favorite but the way he inched one side of my legging up my leg, fingers grazing the back of my thighs had me panting. It really wasn't the time to be turned on but that's next to impossible with Landon being where he was.

Those big hands of his tugged the leggings up my legs. One hand on his shoulder to keep my balance I stood there unable to help but not all disappointed that I couldn't. I'll take a hurt hand to keep Landon where he's at.

"How do you women wear this." He muttered as the fabric got bunched at my knees.

"You have to do the wiggle."

"The what?" Landon looked up at me, hands pausing on my thighs.

"The wiggle. You grab the waistband and while you tug up you jump around and wiggle until they get on. Simple." The look on his face had me laughing. He looked downright flabbergasted. "It's a whole thing. Same with really tight jeans."

"Women, I'll never understand you."

"That's the whole point." I smirked. Landon shook his head before tugging the waistband up to my hips. He messed with them for a minute before he was satisfied.

With his hands cupping the back of my thighs he looked up at me. I expected to find heat in his gaze but instead found him looking at me softly. The feeling in my chest expanded as I brought my hand up to play with the hair at the back of his head that wasn't covered by his hat.

There was nothing sexual going on right now but I felt closer to Landon than I ever have before. Even with our clothes off.

We continued on staring at one another for a moment before he dropped his hands and slowly stood up. I wanted to protest but bit my tongue to stop myself.

As if shaking himself out of a daze Landon grabbed my easy to slip on boots and helped me put them on. Extending his hand he gave me a small smile.

"Lets go get that hand checked out."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well good news is your hand isn't broken." The doctor said looking up from whatever it was in his hands. "But the bad news is you fractured your metacarpal bone. In other words the bones the connect to your knuckles."

As the doctor showed and explained it I clenched Landon's hand tightly with my left. Ever since we stepped foot in the hospital five hours ago I haven't let go of it. The poor guy was going to have bruises on his hands from how tight I've held it.

It's taken us ages to get back here to see the doctor. We waited over two hours in the waiting room before being brought back to the ER. And then another hour until we could get an x-ray and then another two while we waited for the results and for the doctor to come in.

The entire time Landon has been nothing but amazing. I tried to hide how much hospitals freaked me out but as soon as I sat down my leg wouldn't stop bouncing and I was constantly looking around.

Landon being too damn perspective immediately knew. He then preceded to spend the next two hours telling me story after story about his brothers, about uni, hockey. He didn't once try and talk about last night. I knew we had too but in that moment Landon knew exactly what I needed.

"So all she needs is a cast?" Landon asked.

"Yes. You'll have to wear a cast for three to six weeks before coming back to see how the bones are healing. I'm about 95 percent certain they'll heal up good as new."

I hated the thought of being in a cast for the next three to six weeks but with no other option I sighed.

"Sounds good." The doctor shot me a smile, clearly hearing the change in my tone.

"I'll have someone come down and get you fitted for the cast. Shouldn't be much longer." With that the doctor left, closing the curtain after him.

"Well great I'm going to be one handing everything for awhile." I sighed, laying back against the bed. My head was killing me and I was more than ready to go home. We've been here for ages and I wanted nothing more than my comfy bed. At least my hand wasn't hurting right now thanks to the medicine they gave me.

"Oh god and it's my right hand. How am I going to get anything done." Just my luck its my dominant hand. I could feel my frustration growing as I started thinking of everything I had going on right now.

"Fuck fuck fuck." I muttered.

"Hey, it's okay." Landon leaned closer squeezing my hand.

"No it's not!" The pressure behind my eyes building. "I have less than two weeks to get two issues of the magazine ready for next month. We have Hockey for Kids coming up. Josie's wedding is in a week and I'm a bridesmaid. How am I suppose to look good in a dress with a damn cast on. There's still so much to do and get ready for." I was rambling but I couldn't stop. "Why the hell did I punch that guy!"

The damn broke as tears ran down my face. More tears of frustration than anything else.

"Lyd."

"And then what if they don't heal right? Do I have to have surgery? Oh god am I going to lose a hand?" Full blown panic has now set in.

"Blondie." A big hand came up to cup the underside of my jaw, a thumb under my chin tilting it up. "Breath for me baby."

At his command I took a deep breath, breathing out through my nose. I did it a few times before I felt my heart rate slow down a bit. Tears ran down my cheeks and my nose burned.

"That's it." Landon coached. "Everything will be fine." He looked right in my eyes as he spoke.

"We're going to get you home and get you all comfortable in your PJ's. Get something good to eat and what some tv." Landon's fingers wiped at the tears on my cheek. "Then tomorrow morning we'll figure everything out, okay? One thing at a time."

I knew he was right. There wasn't anything I could do right now. I'm tired and hungry and sick of being here in the hospital. I gave him a small nod letting him know I heard and agreed with him. The stupid tears kept rolling down my face but Landon wiped them away.

"One thing at a time." He repeated softly.

"Can we get Rick's on the way home?" I asked, my voice thick from crying. He let out a loud laugh at my words, clearly not expecting that to come out of my mouth.

"Yeah, we can get Rick's." 

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

517K 11.6K 27
Book 1 of the Mayer Familly series After a messy break-up from her NHL all star hockey player boyfriend of 2 years, Allison Mayer winds up from Colo...
420K 16.3K 73
*Book One in the Every Other Memory Series* Elle Montgomery is a model daughter, student, sister, and friend with everything ahead of her. Her ambiti...
350K 10.6K 38
Book #4 of the "Falling" book series Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #41 in Romance 2023 #10 in Nerdy 2023 #27 in Sexualtension 2023 #25 in Banter 202...
16.9K 400 43
With her nose in books and his brawn getting him nowhere on or off the ice, they find themselves drawn together, sharing their baggage and behaving b...