Servant of the Serpent

By RowanLaneStories

When Eben decides to rob the isolated town nestled deep in the woods, he could never have predicted that he w... More

BOOK ONE - Servant of the Serpent
Author's note
Foreword
Snakes for Friends
Coiled Up in a Dark Place
Into the Snake's Den
Snake Charmer
Yellow Bellied
Stitched Scales
Serpent's Tongue
The Statue of Helia
Cold Scales
Forbidden Fruit
Snake in the Grass
Vipers that Cannot be Charmed
Once Bitten
Brumation
Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Venomous Words
Winter's Eve
Celebrating Death
Melting Frost
Warmed Stone
Ecdysis
Ouroboros
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
BOOK TWO - Family of Monsters
Foreword
Flights of Fancy
Blue Sky Thinking
Nesting
Birds of Prey
Downy Feathers
Birdsong
Water Off a Duck's Back
Two Turtle Doves
Molting
Merry as a Lark
Chickadee's Song
First Flights
Mourning Dove
Bird Flu
Flying South
Walking on Eggshells
One Winged Dove
Flew Too Close to the Sun
Feather Plucking
Flight Risk
Flew the Coop

Early Bird

49 5 0
By RowanLaneStories

As a cold-blooded creature, Adder favors the warmer months of the year, of course. But that doesn't mean he can't appreciate the beauty of fall. The forest surrounds his home on all sides, so each autumn day he awakens to find each tree blazing with thousands of hues of orange, yellow, and red. The beauty of the shifting landscape is enough to make the monster grin with delight.

Really though, if Adder is being honest, he mostly likes autumn for the food. One might guess a monstrous creature like him prefers red meat, but Adder is addicted to anything with apples. Apple cider, apple pie, apple tarts—you make it with apples, and Adder is a very happy gorgon.

So every fall, it has become a tradition for him and Eben to head to the nearby orchard and gather baskets of apples together. The orchard is wild and overgrown, long since abandoned by the family who cultivated it.

Adder keeps his eyes shut in case the villagers wander down here, but in the past few years, they have yet to come across anything besides a few fruit-fattened squirrels. Sometimes he fantasizes about participating in the harvest festival in the village—but he quickly suppresses that thought. He hasn't been into town since Sheppard died; there was no doubt his presence would unnerve and frighten the ones who still remember his fearsome powers.

Adder sighs, shaking off the unpleasant memories as he focuses on his partner. Since they have the egg with them, Adder is resigned to sitting on the picnic blanket, supervising Eben as he picks the ruby-red apples from the fruit-laden trees. Of course, instead of gathering the apples Adder points out, the half-elf decides instead to climb the biggest tree in the orchard.

"Eben, they're all the same! Come down, you're going to break your neck!"

Eben ignores the warnings, plucking a particularly juicy fruit from a branch. He agilely descends from the top, shaking the tree as he lands on a fat limb just above where Adder sits.

"That's not true. The ones at the top taste way better."

"I'll be the judge of that," Adder huffs.

Eben tosses the apple down to his partner, swinging his legs from where he sits on the branch. Adder bites into the fruit, cheeks pinking from the sweetness.

He's about to lie and say it's sour when he tenses, sensing something among the grove of trees. He turns his head to the right—something warm-blooded is hiding behind the trunk of a gnarled apple tree.

Before the gorgon can say anything, the creature darts out from the shadows. Adder tenses as something small and warm lunges for him, arms wrapping around his neck with a giggle.

"Adder!" Kora screams, "boo!"

Eben snorts, watching his partner get assaulted by the petite child. "Kora, it's not very smart to attack a broody gorgon."

Kora sticks her tongue out at Eben, scrunching her face. "Adder knows I'm not gonna hurt the baby."

Adder huffs, pinching a chubby cheek. "Only because my parental instincts are in overdrive. You might not be so welcome if you didn't have that baby face."

Kora pushes the monster's claws away with another giggle. "Why didn't you invite me? I want to see the little harpy!"

Eben drops from the tree, his eyes beginning to glow as magic stirs through the grove. Adder is relieved of the girl's weight as she's levitated into the air with a squeal.

"We didn't tell you because we wanted a moment of peace, not surprise attacks and ear-piercing screeches."

Kora grins, spinning in the air. "If the baby is a girl, you will have to deal with that anyway!"

Adder grins, patting the egg. "I have a feeling the child will be a handful, regardless of sex or gender."

Kora grins brightly as she's set down. "But it needs to be a girl so I can have a little sister."

"Sister? It's not going to be raised by your parents, Kora. Me and Eben are fostering it."

"Then she would be my cousin, since you are my uncle."

Adder flushes, extremely pleased to be reminded that Kora considers him family. Just a few years ago, her father and mother assumed he killed their close friend...now here he was, an honorary member of their kin.

"If you want to think of the baby as a cousin, that's okay. But you need to remember they're going to rejoin their flock one day..."

The young girl pouts, crossing her arms. "Why? it's your baby."

"Kora, I—"

Suddenly, the young girl gasps, face whitening. "Did I do that? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!"

Adder tenses. "What?"

Eben crouches beside his partner, smoothing a hand down the shell, worry painted on his face. "There's a crack..."

"Kora, close your eyes," Adder demands.

Immediately the girl obeys, sniffling. "I'm covering them—I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt it..."

Adder studies the egg; his heart goes icy with fear as he notices a large hairline fracture down the middle. Even more alarming, though, is the sound that follows—a small, weak, "peep!"

"You didn't do anything. It's hatching."

Shock overcomes Eben. "I thought we had more time!"

"Eben, can you check again?"

Eben nods, magic flowing around him as he lays a glowing palm on the egg. The light shines golden through the eggshell, revealing the dark outline of the little harpy within. Although it has grown so much in size since last they checked, it's still so tiny. It's not ready to hatch, and yet, Adder watches with dismay as the infant monster pushes against the shell, causing the crack to expand.

"It's coming early—something is wrong..."

Eben grips Adder's shoulder. "We need to go home..."

Adder tenses at the thought. Traveling here with the egg was no problem, considering he was with his mate. But now his instincts are demanding he stay far, far away from the open forest. "Predators will be attracted to the smell of a hatching egg. We can't go back."

"Well we can't stay here, Adder."

"You can come to the village," Kora exclaims. "We have a spare room you can stay in!"

Adder's fear increases tenfold. He knows rationally that the villagers do not pose a threat. But will his monstrous instincts know that? Dread fills his heart—what if he attacked a villager? What if he attacked Kora's family? It would show them all that they were all right to fear Adder, to lock him away...

"Eben, you can't let me hurt anyone. Don't let me hurt anyone," his voice trembles.

"You won't, Adder, I know you won't."

"Promise me you'll stop me," Adder begs.

"Adder..."

"Please!"

Eben cups the Adder's face, soft hazel eyes meeting deep red unflinchingly. "I promise you I will do anything necessary."

Adder nods solemnly. "Okay...let's go."

With haste, they exit the grove. Adder's anxiety skyrockets as he leaves the peaceful sanctuary of the trees and enters the cobblestone streets of Nadre Tor.

His presence does not go unnoted. As they head toward Kora's house, several villagers gasp in fright at the sight of the massive gorgon. Some flee, some freeze, and some even cower and revert to old habits, kneeling with their eyes closed.

Adder attempts to ignore them, not allowing the flares of aggression to take hold and cloud his judgment. But his resolve is tested as they travel through the market—the man, Edmund, is here, frozen in place with the felid by his side. The gorgon can't help but release a feral growl, hackles rising as murderous rage begins to swell within him.

Edmund tenses, unsheathing his sword. "Basil, get behind me!"

"Edmund, no! You can't seriously be thinking of fighting him!"

Edmund points the sword at Adder, ignoring the felid. His dark eyes dart towards Eben. "I thought you had him under control? Why is he here?!"

The half-elf scowls. "I don't control anyone! We mean no harm—put down your weapon!"

"Right," Edmund seethes, "he was just a pawn for Father Sheppard for nearly two decades, oppressing us, and now he's as harmless as a fly, is he?! Don't treat me like a fool, he's a monster! Make him leave!"

Adder growls, the sound chilling to the bone in the autumn air. "He used all of us as pawns, fool. None of the monsters escaped his grasp—ask your felid friend if he went unscathed."

Edmund falters for a minute, eyes darting to the man behind him. "No, that's—"

"Or is that why you attacked him? Because you thought he was a monster as terrible as me?"

"You don't know anything!" The human cries, stepping forward.

But before the dark-haired man can attack, Basil grips him by the arm, pulling him back. The felid's eyes are wide, ears pinned back. "Edmund. Stand down."

The human pauses, face quickly cycling through multiple emotions before settling on rage. "He petrified my father. I had to grow up without one because of him!"

Adder's anger continues to simmer, but it's joined by a deep, resounding sadness. Of course...yet another victim of his power. Would he ever escape the harm he caused?

"I'm sorry," he croaks, "I was young."

"You cannot be blaming the foolishness of your youth for your crimes!"

Eben steps forward, snarling. "He was an infant!"

Edmund's eyes narrow. "I don't care what the priestess tries to claim, she is blinded by her love. This monster is no protector, he is an agent of the great deceiver!"

"Are you now believing Sheppard's lies, Edmund?" Basil interrupts, "he had a habit of abducting young monsters. Even I—I do not believe I was abandoned here, as he liked to claim.

"Basil, don't—"

"Please, I don't want to hurt you," Adder begs, "but this child needs me. I need to do something or it's going to die."

"Child?" Edmund's eyes fall on the egg, finally. "Is that—"

"You said I petrified your father, right? Eben restored all of my victims; where is he now?"

"He's—he lives with my siblings. My mother passed away in his absence..."

"You must've suffered, I'm sorry. I don't want this child to suffer like that. I don't want it to come into the world afraid or alone."

The human's resolve seems to waver for a moment, the grip on his blade trembling. He jolts as Basil rests a kind hand on Edmund's shoulder. The human pushes the hand off, but as he studies Adder's morose expression, the rage seems to seep out of him. With a clang of metal, the sword hits the ground.

Edmund glares with clenched fists. "I only spare you because my father has been returned to me. Do not let this child follow in your footsteps, monster."

"I won't..."

Eben grips Adder's bicep. "We need to go, now."

Finally, they start to move once more toward their destination, but before they go far, a voice rings out.

"Wait," Basil yelps, "please wait!"

Adder pauses once more, gritting his fangs. "What?"

The felid falters for a moment, wringing his hands before he seems to find his courage to speak. "I—I feel horrible for our last encounter. Please let me make it up to you. Let me help—I'm a healer, the best in the village!"

The gorgon pauses. The thought of having these men near during such a vulnerable time is one that causes something dark and vicious to coil around his heart. But he can't deny the fact that a healer is exactly what they need right now. Can he control himself enough to allow felid to assist them?

"I accept. But if either of you tries anything, I will end you."

Edmund tenses, a grimace clear on his face. "Basil, you cannot seriously—"

"Be silent, Edmund! I nearly lost my life thanks to your hare-brained scheme last time. I will not allow you to obstruct me from saving an innocent child!"

The man shuts his mouth, crossing his arms in defeat. Adder growls impatiently, eager to be somewhere safe immediately.

"It's decided, now come. We do not have the time for this..."

The group finally makes their way out of the market and to the artisan's home. Jacqueline meets them at the door, eyes wide as she takes in their frantic state.

"Adder, Eben, what's wrong?"

"Please let us in, it's urgent," says Adder.

The woman nods, stepping out of the way to allow the gorgon entry. Kora follows close behind, tugging him by the hand toward the room she mentioned. The gorgon doesn't take the time to examine the small bare space. He sets the egg on the bed, exploring the shell for more cracks. To his dismay, he feels the fissures expand more as the little harpy tries to break free.

"What's wrong with it?" Basil asks.

"It's hatching early. It's too small, we weren't expecting this for at least another few months."

The felid approaches, coming closer with Edmund in tow. They both flinch as Adder growls ferociously, instincts in overdrive.

"I promise I won't harm it," Basil says.

"Can you make him leave the room?" Eben asks, pointing at Edmund.

Basil shakes his head. "The curse makes it so he can't go far from me. I just need to examine it quickly, then I can instruct you on what to do..."

Adder nods reluctantly, gripping the bed sheets. Basil approaches slowly, lowering a fuzzy ear to the surface of the egg.

"It's definitely hatching. I need hot water and towels."

Kora, who had been watching from the doorway anxiously, perks up. "I'll get the towels!"

"I'll get the hot water. Adder, will you be okay?" Eben asks.

Adder nods. "Please go quickly. I need you here with me."

The half-elf nods, quickly leaving with Kora to complete his task. Adder returns his attention to the child, continuing to monitor it closely. "Why is this happening? What did I do wrong?"

The little harpy within responds to his voice, peeping louder. The sound breaks Adder's heart; it sounds distressed.

"Harpies are strong...are we safe?" Edmund asks.

"It can barely break free from its shell, much less harm you!" Adder snarls.

"Ignore him," Basil hisses, glaring at his companion, "I doubt there was anything you could've done to prevent this. Even in human children, they sometimes just come too early."

Adder nods, but deep in his heart refuses to acknowledge the answer. Surely, if he had found the harpy's true family, this wouldn't be happening. A gorgon is a poor replacement...

Eben and Kora re-enter the room, placing the supplies at the foot of the bed.

"Now what do we do?" The half-elf asks.

"We can't do much now. We just need to wait," Basil explains.

"Can't we just break it out of there? It's already hatching anyway. Or the elf could use his magic, right?" Edmund says.

"Breaking it out when it's not ready could kill it. That needs to be the last resort. All we can do is try to keep the exposed membranes moist so it can break free easier," says Basil,

"And I don't know if using magic is a good idea," Eben adds, "it's one thing to hatch a chicken egg, it's another to interrupt the natural process of a sentient being. Besides, even my powers have limits...I cannot go against the natural order of life and death—if this is a result of a deformity or defect, I won't be able to fix it."

"So we're useless. Why did we even come?" Edmund huffs.

Adder's tail thumps on the ground. "If you can't help then leave!"

Basil steps away, spooked by the anger seeping from the gorgon. "Okay, we'll wait outside. Call for me when you need it..."

The felid quickly leaves the room, Edmund following wordlessly. Adder sighs a breath of relief as he's finally alone with his mate. He curls up on the bed with the egg, serpentine coils drooping off the edge.

Eben sits with him, hand caressing Adder's. "It's going to be okay..."

"I hope so, Gods I do."

They remain there together, waiting for the harpy to break free of its fragile prison. Adder takes a deep breath, attempting to calm his raging heart. Eben squeezes his hand tightly, giving his partner a reassuring look.

"You're doing so well, Adder. I'm so proud of you..."

"It doesn't feel like I am. I feel like that damned human is one abrupt movement away from having his head ripped off."

"It's going to be over soon. Just hang in there."

As if on cue, the egg wiggles again as the infant inside struggles to break free. Eben runs a damp towel over the shell, carefully assisting the little monster inside. Little by little, bits and pieces chip away—but it's slow going. The little harpy's vocalizations slowly become quieter as it struggles. Two hours later the gorgon's panic comes to a head as the small chirps from the infant become barely audible.

"Go get the healer. We cannot wait any longer," Adder says.

Eben doesn't speak, focused on his mission as he retrieves the felid. Basil enters the room once more, worry painted on his face.

"What's going on?"

"It's getting weaker. I don't think it can do this on its own."

"We need to extract it now then. You need to move, Adder."

Feeling like he's ripping out his heart, the gorgon moves away from the egg. Basil tenderly moves it closer to the edge, beginning to work diligently removing loose bits of shell.

Adder can only curl up in the corner, claws digging into his own coils. He wants to slap away the stranger's hands as his entire being screams at him to do something. But his common sense wins out as he remains in the corner, unease writhing in his stomach.

Finally, after what seems like an eternity, the felid speaks. "I'm removing it now. Edmund, start the fire—it needs to be warm in here."

Edmund moves to do as he's told, only for the hearth to spring to life with a snap of Eben's fingers.

"Hurry and do it," he commands.

There's a bit of shuffling as the healer concentrates on his task. Finally, after what seems like an eternity, the healer lifts the infant from the remains of its egg.

"Okay it's out," Basil says.

Adder tenses even more as he tries to use his senses to understand what's happening. As he fears, he can see the three warm-bodied adults in the room, while the little harpy's body temperature is much lower.

"Give it to me," Eben says.

The felid hands over the child, allowing the half elf to wrap it securely with a blanket.

"Why is it so quiet? Don't babies cry?"

"Something is wrong, we need to stimulate its breathing more. Quickly, clear the airway and rub its chest."

Eben does as instructed as Adder begins to pray. He begs the Goddess of love to save this child—and he begs the God of death to stay away.

"It's not working," Eben says, dismayed.

Basil lays a hand on the half-elf's shoulder. "I'm sorry...it might not make it. If the lungs aren't grown enough, it won't be able to take in the air it needs to survive."

"Gods, please no," Adder cries, "Eben, please, your magic must be able to help it."

"I don't know if it will do anything, Adder."

"Please try, please."

"I'll try my best."

The half-elf takes in a deep breath, focusing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 3.5K 49
General Sevei is of the firm opinion that Nobles are shady and Alchemists even shadier. Noble Alchemists are the absolute worst. He is not looking fo...
17.6K 1.3K 29
VAMPIRE/ROMANCE How does it feel to be caught between humanity and the darkness? For John and his brother Jamie it is a torture. Keeping up the dail...
323K 12.6K 25
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...
163K 10.8K 38
Incent, a young hunter, is thrown into a dark and terrible job by his King. He is asked to assassinate a Prince from a neighbouring Kingdom. Knowing...