When we were young // Anthony...

By TheStoryFairy12

Belle Whitmore, daughter of the dowager Viscountess Whitmore, is about to turn 18 and thus will finally be ab... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Meet some of our Characters
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23

Chapter 22

629 22 1
By TheStoryFairy12

       Anthony had never realized how difficult his father's job actually was. Even though he oftenly saw Edmund Bridgerton staying locked in his office working and solving problems for days, for some reason, he had never thought it would be as exhausting and heavy as it was being this days. Especially after going to Eton and learning about finances and management; where everything was so, so easy.
But in real life, the story was different. It was paper after paper, problem after problem, a job that never seemed to end. For about a month, Anthony wouldn't leave that study for nothing; the few hours he slept, he slept right there on the couch, and he ate whatever the servants or sometimes even Belle brought him. Things were a little easier when Belle's brother, Viscount Whitmore, was at Aubrey Hall to help him and give him some tips on how to do all that work. But now that Nicholas had returned to Mayfair to solve his own problems, Anthony was alone in this never ending storm.
That day, Anthony, for a change, had slept in his office. He slept relatively peacefully. Apparently he had already gotten used to the padding on the sofa, which was surely much less comfortable than his bed whose mattress was made of goose feathers.
He slept well, until he was abruptly awakened by the sound of his door opening. He then opened his eyes and looked towards the door; and the image he saw was of a smiling girl carrying a silver tray. It was Belle. It was such a beautiful image that Anthony at first glance considered it to be a hallucination.
- Belle? Is that you? - Anthony asked, rubbing his eyes to try to figure out if that image was really true. And to his surprise, it was as real as it could be.

Although Belle has always been an extremely attentive and affectionate girl, from time to time she always found a way to surprise people (even if it was with a simple slice of her delicious brownie). Even so, Anthony was really surprised - he simply wasn't expecting her visit this time in the morning.

- Who else would it be? - the brunette asked, chuckling lightly with the boy's question.

- No one - the tired viscount said, changing position to sit. He then reached to his' father's watch and noted - You woke up too early.

- Yeah, well, you've been working a lot and nonstop the last few days so I thought I'd bring you a good breakfast. You know what they say; Nothing that a good tea and a sandwich won't solve - Belle said, placing the tray on the coffee table, next to the sofa where the Viscount was previously sleeping - So, have the dreaded wigs been giving you a lot of problems lately?

Viscount Bridgerton couldn't help but chuckle at the girl's statement. Belle, as always, called his' secretaries "dreaded wigs", since they all made use of this artifact, and they were in fact, most of the times, a pain in the ass.
- I already asked you to stop calling them that - he said, trying to speak in a stern tone and pretend he didn't adored when she called them that.

- And I will stop. As soon as they all stop using wigs and stop being a bunch of jerks.

He smiled slightly. If he wasn't so sleepy he would probably start to cry laughing at the girl's statement. But instead, he took a bite of that steamy ham and cheese sandwich. And God, it tasted so freaking good.

- So, how is it? - Belle asked hopefully

- Its perfect. Thank you very much.

- You're welcome.

Belle then suddenly stood up, and began walking around the study that once belonged to her godfather, Edmund Bridgerton. She observed every single corner of that room, and she noticed that Anthony hadn't changed nothing at all since Edmund's death. He hadn't removed his' father's jacket, that was still hanging on the clothes rack since that day. Nor his boots, which were resting beside the door. He didn't exchange his' father's painting for a painting of himself, the current Viscount Bridgerton, as tradition dictated. And honestly, that didn't surprise her at all. Knowing Anthony as well as she did, Belle was sure that he would never remove that painting from that place.
The hazel eyed girl then approached the office table, and she widened her eyes when she saw the unreal pile of papers that still awaited the viscount's sign.
- I see you still have a bit of work to do - Belle ironized, pointing to that pile that looked more like a tower than anything else

- Don't remind me - Anthony groaned - I was supposed to finish these yesterday, but I was really tired so I ended up sleeping. I'm going to try to finish them today.

- I see. But where in God's name, did so many papers come from?

- Bureaucracy now that I'm the new viscount. And many, many problems to solve. But I'm  sure it's just a phase.

- I hope so. Because this is too much work for just one man.

- I can handle it.

- I know you can. But you seem so exhausted. Besides...- Belle took a deep breath, than circling the desk and walking to the sofa to sit next to Anthony she said - Meals haven't been the same without you and your mom. Your siblings and I...We miss you Anthony.

- Mother still doesn't leave her room? - Anthony asked, with a both worried tone and facial expression.

- No, she doesn't. Your father passed away a month ago and I still haven't seen your mother since the day of the funeral. I tried to visit her several times but she simply doesn't accept any "visitors". To give you an idea, she's not even going to breastfeed Hyacinth anymore.

- I see.

- I'm really worried about her. Mrs.Wilson said that she lost a lot of weight because she hasn't been eating right. She doesn't embroider anymore, she doesn't read anymore, all she does is sit and stare at the window all day.

Oh my God. Anthony knew his mother was going through a very difficult time. The last time he had visited her, about two weeks ago, she didn't seem well at all. She just cried and cried uncontrollably. She just screamed and called Edmund constantly.
  His visit was really short, as he simply couldn't bear to see (and hear) his mother like that. Not only because he felt very sorry for his mother, but also because every sob, every scream, every time his' mother called Edmund's name, it reminded him of the most unfortunate day of his' life - when his father had left the world because of a miserable little bee. Every time he saw his mother, a bunch of realistic flashbacks would start terrorize his head. He felt like he went back to that day. And visiting back that memory destroyed him, every single time.
   But if Violet really was the way Belle had said, he needed to go see his mother immediately, no matter what the cost. No matter how it would damage Anthony internally. He could no longer postpone this visit.

- Why don't you join us in a stroll?

Anthony, who was currently wandering in the world of his' own thoughts, asked, apparently coming back to reality:
- What?

- I'm going to stroll with Hyacinth today in the gardens. I was asking if you wanted to come.

- Thank you for the invitation, but as you saw I have too much work to do - The Viscount said quickly, getting up from the sofa, and walking towards his desk.

-Oh please Anthony. It will be quick; I promise! My strolls with Hyacinth never last more than half an hour.

- Belle...

- Please. It will be great to relax your mind, being in contact with nature and everything. Besides this is a great opportunity for you to spend time with your sister.

- I'm sure that I will have plenty of other opportunities to spend time with Hyacinth.

- Come on! She is your sister Anthony, and still you haven't visited her once since your father died.

- And how can you be so sure of that? - The Lord of the Bridgerton household asked, not taking his' eyes away from the paper he was signing - It's not like you spend 24 hours a day next to her.

-  Actually, I kind of do, because ever since your father died I've been sleeping in Hyacinth's room with her. Night and day.

Anthony definitely wasn't expecting this answer from her. What was she talking about?
- What?! Why?! 

- Because I had to!

- Why?!

- Why?! Because without me the girl would have been left alone with the governesses. Everyone is sunk in grief, and she...she doesn't deserve to suffer the consequences of this tragedy.

Lord Bridgerton just stood there staring at the girl in a state of pure shock. He didn't know what to say. This was probably one of the most beautiful and selfless gestures he had ever seen in his life. Even though she had no such obligation and she wouldn't be receiving absolutely nothing in return, Belle, of her own free will, decided to stay and take care of the newborn. Almost on her own. Enduring the early morning cries, the stinky diapers, and all the duties that involve caring for a baby, without even complaining. Without expecting absolutely nothing in return.
​    And for a moment he felt embarrassed, and extremely guilty. He had indeed unintentionally neglected his youngest sister. He remembered seeing her when she was born, and on the day of his' father's funeral, about one month ago. But he realized that he hadn't seen her ever since. If someone asked him today a question about any physical feature of the baby girl, he wouldn't be able to answer with total conviction. He didn't know the actual color of her hair, the color of her eyes. If she was the spitting image of her mother, her father - or perhaps even a gorgeous mix of the couple .

- So, are you coming or not?

Anthony took a deep breath and stared to that huge paper pile in front of him for some seconds. Then he suddenly dropped the quill and answered:
- I guess 30 minutes of walking won't do any harm.

     The two then left the office towards another wing of Aubrey Hall, where Hyacinth's room was. As he walked around the house he realized how long he hadn't left that office. On the last days, he almost never went out, and when he did go out it was at night, when due to the low candlelight everything was a bit off. But then, in broad daylight, the house seemed somehow different. And definitely quieter than usual - and that was due both to the time (because it was very early) and to the grief that still haunted the ancestral home of the Bridgerton family.
   When they arrived in front of the 1 month old girl's room, Belle opened the door, and signaled to Anthony, who seemed a little reluctant, to enter.
   Hyacinth's room was beautiful, Anthony noted. It was a room with pink walls, different from most of the rooms in the house, whose walls were painted in some tone of blue. Hyacinth's room was the only Bridgerton child's room that had been renovated specially for its birth. Edmund, for some reason, had that specific tone of pink on his head the entire pregnancy, specially because for the first time he was a hundred percent sure of the child's gender. At least once a day in the first six months of pregnancy, Viscount Bridgerton said how he was sure that Violet was carrying a little girl.
    Now entering that room, felt a bittersweet sensation in his heart. But for some reason that changed the moment he saw Belle picking up her little sister from the crib. The moment he looked at her little face, any kind of bitterness he might have been feeling suddenly disappeared. Hypnotized, he got closer to better analyze her features. And my god, she was a copy of Edmund Bridgerton. But as incredible as it may seem, it didn't make him sad, on the contrary; for some reason he just felt happier. He felt a warm feeling in his heart.
Then the girl opened her eyes, and if he wasn't thrilled before, now...he was absolutely smitten with the girl. If she couldn't be any more perfect, she had her mother Violet's eyes. They were a pair of large blue orbs, which had a look of curiosity with a little hint of mischief perhaps. My god, she was so beautiful that it made Anthony wonder why he hadn't come to visit her sooner.
   Belle couldn't be more delighted to see Anthony's reaction to looking at the girl.
- Do you want to hold her? - she then asked the boy, whose eyes were already quite teary, with tears about to fall.

Anthony nodded, and sat in the armchair next to the crib. Belle then gently placed the baby girl in her older brother's arms. And the moment the little girl looked up, when blue and brown eyes met, the 21-year-old boy started crying.
- I've been a bad brother to you, haven't I little one? - The leader of the Bridgerton house said in a soft but hoarse voice from crying to the newborn, looking firmly into her small ocean-colored glistening eyes - But I promise this will change. I swear I will do my best be the best brother possible. I will protect and love you until the end of my days Hyacinth.

That was a scene that was impossible not to get emotional about. What a beautiful and heartfelt declaration. The crying Whitmore girl just watched their interaction, mesmerized. She could stand there all day watching Anthony carrying the baby girl. This was the Anthony that Belle loved. The loving, caring Anthony that would do anything for the ones he loves. The one that today was a great friend, but one day would turn to be an excellent father and an outstanding husband.

- She looks so much like father, doesn't she? - Violet Bridgerton's first child spoke softly and lowly as he gently stroked the head of the little girl who had peacefully slept in his arms.

- Yes Anthony, she does. But I think she looks a bit like you too.

- Really? - he asked, finally looking up to his' best friend

- Yes. She's got a hint of mischief in her eyes. Just like you.

Anthony then chuckled, then he took a deep breath, and assuming a more serious facial expression, he declared:
- I wanted to say thank you.

- Whatever for?

- For taking care of Hyacinth and bringing me to meet her. With all my heart, thank you.

And with the most sincere smile she had ever given, she nodded and replied:
-You're welcome, Anthony.

He was so sweet, so tender that it made Belle wonder sometimes if he was real or perhaps just an illusion created by her. But she was sure about one thing; Anthony Bridgerton would definitely be her undoing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.2K 1.6K 38
High Society has once again returned in Governor's Square! Trust isn't built so well after so many secrets and scandals. Between lies, cheating, mis...
57.8K 1.7K 15
The whole town knew who much Emmaline Davison and Anthony Bridgerton despised each other to the point they couldn't be seen in the same room as one a...
1.1M 29.4K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
28.2K 857 14
The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn, Charlotte and Benedict Bridgerton, find themselves on the brink of new adventures as they confront the c...