Case 36: Courter in Yellow

By chronicillnephilim

Case: File 1-36 . Criminal Group "The Forth Circle" . Subject of interest: the leader . "The Man in yellow"... More

PSA
Case 1-36
Gravity Falls(2)
Breakfast and Coffee(3)
Get to Know(4)
First Encounter(5)
Lunch(6)
Footsie(7)
Back to Work(8)
Google: "How to Clear Ones Head?"(9)
Cool Off to Heat Up(10)
Hotel Crime Scene(11)
Hotel Victim(12)
Just Meet Her(13)
Late Night Stroll(14)
Coming Home Late(15)
Do You Like the Photo? It's My Screensaver Now(16)
Are You Thinking of Me?(17)
Midnight Hour(18)
Progress(19)
Wind Up(20)
Morning Coffee(21)
Long Nights Lead to Longer Mornings(22)
Change of Plains(23)
Nose to the Grinder(24)
Firefight(25)
The Best Part of being a Thief(26)
The Journal and the Yellow Coat(27)
Yellow Coat(28)
Needed(29)
Heart(30)
New Perspective(31)
Dots One and Two(32)
Second Building(33)
William Northwest(34)
Divide(35)
Over Whelming Confrontation(36)
Serial Killer(37)
Blind Folds(38)
Not the Fun Kind of Handcuffs(39)
Evidence(40)
Two-Way Mirror(41)
I am your Doppelgänger(42)
From One Side to the Other(43)
The Witness/The Insider(44)
Let Someone Into the Storm(45)
Raging Fire(46)
Aftercare(47)
Back Online(48)
Author's Note!
Make Him Sweat(50)
Everything Ends in Smoke(51)
I Am Consumed By You (the end)

After Soccer Practice(49)

233 19 2
By chronicillnephilim

Dipper POV

Leo sat in the seat across from me, Wendy to his left, Hestia to his right and Robbie hovered behind them. I found myself at a slight loss for words.

I'd come into the office this morning knowing something had gone wrong again because of how they approached me, and how Leo looked at me.

He'd told Wendy, who then told Robbie and Hestia, about some of the files put together. I'd almost shit myself when he apologized but he quickly amended that he hadn't told them about the file on Hestia.

He'd taken the files and compared them to the Strange files and others that were known associates of Strange, there he found more similarities like those found between Hestia and James Legon. When Wendy had checked in with him he told her about the connections he'd noticed between James Legon and Tad Strange.

Wendy's face was contorted in confusion, Robbie looked ready to boil over, and Hestia was the picture of calm, collected and posed.

"Why didn't you tell us about the email containing information about James Legon's DNA on Yellow's coat?" Robbie growled in open defiance.

"For the same reason you didn't tell me right away when you started digging in my personal life." I returned, tracking the high ground because, fuck him sometimes.

Leo raised an eyebrow, making me wonder how much he knew about what happened before he came on board.

My attention returned back to Hestia, who was observing, her eyes locked on me, "It's nice to have you back Hestia, there has been a lot happening. Have you been brief?" She nodded, "Good, ok well now that everyone is aware of James Legon, I'd like to dive into his history and connections. I'd also like to track him down, could someone focus on finding out where he's at right now? If he's in Gravity Falls let's bring him in." I was forcing breath in and out through my nose, ignoring the looks they were all giving me.

"There is something." Wendy spoke up, sending Robbie a pointed glance, "We brought someone in last night."

Anger nit its way into my brows, "Who?"

"Rebecca Swiney, picked her up in possession of fentanyl. It would have been nothing but when her car was searched they found one of the stolen police badges. One of the many unaccounted for from the night of the raids." Leo tapped his fingers along the arm of his chair, doing his best to avoid eye contact.

"She mentioned that a kid at school was giving them out." Hestia added, her own frustration radiating from twitching fingers. Bandages were still visible from under the edge of her sleeves. "She said she didn't know his name though."

Squinting between them I could sense one of them wasn't telling me something, which was incredibly agitating, "School?"

"She's 17. A senior at Gravity Falls High School."

"If someone at her school is just giving em out, have any other badges shown up?"

"Not yet. We've sent someone to talk to the principal and staff. They will send a message out to parents as well to turn in any lost badges." Robbie did theatrical air quotes around "lost". "If there's a student just giving them out, the principal and teachers should be able to help us sort out who." With a nod I urged them out of the office.

Rebecca sat at the same interrogation desk Bill had but she was a lot worse for wear than him. She was dressed like she just came from the gym and her hair was a mess of blonde knotted hair that looked as if she'd been taking it in and out of a ponytail over and over again. "Did she have drugs in her system when you picked her up?" I asked, she picked at her nails, eyes bouncing around the room like a pinball.

"No, just in her bag, the team that's been watching over her haven't noted any signs of withdrawal. She's probably just selling, or carrying for someone."

"Has anyone asked her?"

"Yeah," Robbie sounded offended I doubted him, "She said it's her boyfriend's."

"Shitty boyfriend." Wendy commented.

Rebecca jumped as the door opened, pale blue eyes locking on me, "Look I'm sorry he just didn't want his dad to find it. I swear I don't do drugs. I don't even like that he does drugs!" Her voice was shaky.

Over my shoulder I squinted at the group of them, she's just a kid. Before anyone could come in after me I closed the door, my trust level with the lot of them was on the floor.

"Relax, your test came back clean." She sighed, relieved even though she already knew she hadn't taken any. I know that anxiety personally, I sat down across from her, leaning in against the table.

"Why am I still here? My parents are going to be worried." Her eyes flicked around the room again, weary of the camera's in the corners.

"I would assume they've been notified but I can have them called for you."

"Don't I get a phone call myself or something? Right?" Her voice was high and breathy, panic long taken over.

"You haven't gotten to make a call yet?" I turned a judgemental glare on the two-way glass.

Rebecca was already shaking her head, "The other man said something about the first 48 hours? I don't know. Please let me call my dad."

My phone was already in my hand, on and ready for her. She snatched off the table and I noticed at the very least she wasn't cuffed to it.

It only rang twice before the other end was picked up.

"Hello?"

"Dad!"

"Rebecca! Where are you? Your mother has been in a frenzy when you didn't come home after practice! You know we don't care if you go to Chelsea's for the night but you have to text us." He spoke quickly, voice moving from worried to firm.

"Dad- I'm not at Chelsea's I-" she hiccupped, crying now, "I got arrested."

"Arrested! Rebecca what did you do! Where are you! What happened!" Anger and concern battling in her fathers voice.

"David- He-"

"I'll call my lawyer Rebecca, do not say anything till we get there ok?"

"Dad-"

"Rebecca. Tell me you won't say anything."

Her eyes landed wide on me. I did my best to keep my face neutral and friendly, her dad was doing all the right things and after the night she's probably had it would be good for her to wait for some adults on her side.

"Ok. Yes."

"I have to hang up now to make another call."

"Ok." The call ended.

She stared at me, put my phone back down on the table making no effort to hand it to me or slide it any closer. She watched me pocket it. "You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. If it's ok with you though I'd like to still talk to you, maybe ask you some questions you can just think on. I'm I wrong to assume after the night you've had you don't want to be alone in here anymore?" I did my best to soften my voice but not to talk down to her.

She was still as stone for a long moment, thinking hard, finally she must have decided nodding was safe.

"Ok. Like I said the fentanyl is not what I'm worried about, frankly possession without use is weak. What we are really worried about is the officer's badge found in your things. You heard about the attack on the police stations right?"

Again she bobbed her head.

"That badge was one of the many that went missing during the attack. As you should also know it was the Fourth Circle behind the attack. So presumably anyone found with any of the stolen items was either a part of the attack or associated with the Fourth Circle." Wide eyes, tapping purple nails.

"I'm not-" she caught herself, pressing her lips into a thin line.

"Even if that's true some way or another, someone near you is, someone gave you that badge. Either the person who gave it to you is or they know someone who is."

I sat in that room with her for an hour, I'd only left for a minute to grab a cup of coffee and my computer. I talked to her occasionally, asking her if she could remember the name or many a nickname of the person who gave her the badge. To those questions she shook her head vehemently to others, about what sport she plays or classes she's taking, she only stared. Keeping her promise to her father not to say anything.

A knock came to the door before it opened, a pair of men, the younger in a nice suit and the older in a gray button up and slacks. The older of the two was graying, maybe a few of the gray hairs were new from today's events, a look of stress consuming his features.

"Dad!" Rebecca sprung from the chair, she was about to hug him but the younger of the two reached out and kept her at arm's length. Rebecca stopped short of collapsing, "It's ok," her dad said, I thought to her. The other man, their lawyer, dropped his outstretched hand. Rebecca's father pulled her into a tight hug, after a beat she hugged him back, they pulled apart within seconds.

Leo cleared his throat from behind them, "We should get seated. I'm having an extra chair brought in."

"Rebecca is under 18, her father has a right to be present as well." the lawyer reiterated for no one in particular.

"Of course, everyone, come have a seat." I turned one of the chairs on my side over to the other side of the table, waiting on my feet for the new chair to be brought in. "This shouldn't take too long."

Rebecca answered every question we had, she still insisted she didn't know the boy's name or how many more badges he had or was giving out. After asking my questions Leo led in with his, I spent the time watching Rebecca and her father, their interactions felt estranged, almost forced. Rebecca barely looked to her father, more often sending glances to the lawyer. She didn't seem reliant on him like a normal teen would in a situation like this. Her father was all stone, not a single reassuring word or gesture, only pushing back on us if we asked something he didn't like. He snapped at Leo when he asked where Rebecca was the night of the raids, yet he barely blinked at me when I insinuated Rebecca's boyfriend David as the one who gave her the badge.
By the time the three of them left, I was digging up everything I could find on Rebecca and her family.

What was, till my phone rang with the caller ID "Bill". I picked up on the first ring. 

_____________________________

Getting closer to the end~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.5K 1K 25
2 years after Wierdmaggedon and the mystery twins stay at gravity falls since last year but Bill Cipher is back and he will his little puppet next to...
85.6K 3K 30
[Bill Cipher x Dipper Pines fanfiction] Since the first summer Dipper and Mabel spent in Gravity Falls they've been going back every year. Now the tw...
59.6K 1.4K 34
Dipper is thrown in jail, after being framed for murder. His family, disgusted by 'his' crime, leave him. So now, Dipper is about to step foot into a...
144K 5.2K 24
Dipper Pines, a human teen crossed paths with Bill Cipher, the head vampire of Gravity Falls, who bites Dipper and turns him into a bloodsucking crea...