IN THE SHADOWS ─── R. Grayson

By Autumnrain20

'Just how far can one walk the path that has been set for them by others?' [Young justice] More

Prologue
0000.
000.
001.
002.
003.
004.
005.
006.
007.
008.
009.
010.
011.
012.
013.
014.
015.
016.
017.
018.
019.
020.
022.
023.
024.
025.
026.
027.
028.
029.
030.
031.
032.
033.
034.
035.
036.
037.
038.
039.
040.

021.

768 38 34
By Autumnrain20

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS 
OCTOBER 23, 10:30 EST
TEAM YEAR THREE

"WELCOME CLASS, THIS IS CRIMINAL LAW AND YOUR FIRST CLASS OF THE SEMESTER...I LIKE TO CALL IT 'AVOIDING MURDER' I HOPE YOU'll BE ABLE TO KEEP UP."

'This should be easy' She thought to herself as she took her seat, feeling somewhat excited by the prospect of starting something new.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

GOTHAM CITY 
NOVEMBER 2, 08:10 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

SHADOW WAS IN HIGH SPIRITS FOR HER FIRST DAY AS A LEGAL CONSULTANT AT PEARSON & CO. ONE OF THE MOST EXCLUSIVE LAW FIRMS IN THE STATE. DRESSED IN A BLACK TOP AND A GREY AND WHITE CHANEL TWEED WITH LONG HIGH BOOTS, SHE WAS READY TO DOMINATE THE WORLD OF LAW. SHE WAS OF COURSE EXPECTING WORK, BUT SHE CERTAINLY DIDN'T EXPECT HER BOSS TO MAKE HER GET HIM COFFEE.

The machine itself was frustrating to work with, if she couldn't figure out the simple workings of their coffee machine, however did she expect to handle their cases? She somehow managed to press the right buttons as the machine whirred and began to make coffee.

An older man came up behind her and offered her a kind smile. It was almost too familiar, his entire presence was and it felt as if Shadow knew him, his aura seemed to mimic the darkness that was her own but she couldn't pinpoint it, just yet. Perhaps it was just an off day "You seem far too intelligent to be an intern" He mused and Shadow raised a brow "I am your new paralegal" He looked at her amused "Not mine, but certainly new" He shook his head "I assume they stuck you with Anderson? He usually makes his new paralegal do these kind of things. No wonder they end up leaving"

"Hermes Pearson" He extended a hand "Athena Smith" A very common surname. His smile widened "What do you know, our parents were greek fanatics, huh?" He raised a brow and pressed the coffee buttons once more and the machine started working properly, immediately pouring coffee "Tell you what, kid? I was looking for a new legal consultant but I'd rather have you join my team"

"An intriguing offer, but why so much faith in a woman who cannot work your coffee machine?" She questioned and he smirked, it seemed much like her own "Call it intuition. I'm never wrong. Besides, you'd have to be an idiot to make someone of your skill work the coffee station"

He picked up his cup and raised it. Shadow looked deep in thought and he checked his watch "I'll have my assistant place a file on your desk, I want the case solved by 9:30. If you can, you have yourself my guidance and supervision Miss Smith" With that the man left.

When he returned to his desk after a meeting, it was 9:27 and he found a file on it with a note 'It would be a pleasure to work under your wing, Mr Pearson' He smirked, looking over the details only go find the entire file flawless. He certainly picked the right person for his team.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

MOUNT JUSTICE
OCTOBER 29, 23:59 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

SHADOW WAS CURRENTLY IN THE TRAINING ROOM OF THE CAVE, SHADOWS LEVITATING AROUND HER, ENGULFING THE ROOM IN A DARKNESS UNLIKE ANYTHING ONE COULD IMAGINE. IT WAS QUIET, MOST WERE EITHER GONE OR ASLEEP IN THEIR ROOMS, SOME OUT ON MISSIONS. ALL IN ALL, SHE HAD FOUND PEACE IN SUCH LONELINESS.

A sudden whimper was caught by her enhanced hearing and she opened her eyes, the shadows around her dissipating into nothing. She stood up, alert and followed the sound.

It had led her to Beast Boy's room. The door opened for her with a slight whir and she saw a young Garfield whimpering, twisting and turning on his bed, no doubt hanging a nightmare.

A pit suddenly formed in Shadow's stomach as she saw him, debating on what to do...should she call M'gaan? Should she wait it out with the boy? Somethings about human emotion still confused her and there was no doubt it would take time for her to be comfortable in doing most of it.

She stepped closer to his bed and carefully placed a hand on his sweat covered forehead, and closed her eyes in concentration. Every emotion, Garfield was feeling, she felt it become her own as an inky blackness crawled from his head into her hand and once she felt him relax in his slumber, she pulled back, gently brushing away his hair.

Once out of the room, she lifted her hand and willed for the darkness to disappear and it did. But, that pit in her stomach still remained, knotting itself up into a jumble.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

GOTHAM CITY
DECEMBER 1, 00:00 EST
TEAM YEAR ZERO

ROBIN SAT NEXT TO SHADOW, WHO WAS TOO INTERESTED IN HER BOOK TO TALK TO HIM AND HE HUFFED. HE JUST WANTED TODAY TO END THE MINUTE IT HAD STARTED, IT WAS POSSIBLY THE WORST TIME RIGHT NOW AND HE DIDN'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT. HE HAD SO MUCH HE WANTED TO TALK ABOUT AND AS HESITANT AS HE WAS TO ADMIT IT, SHADOW WAS THE FIRST PERSON HE WANTED TO TALK TO ABOUT IT WITH.

"Is something bothering you, Grayson?" He shrugged, taking to acting coolly "Nope, why would you say that?"

"You're doing the thing where you stare at me until I ask you what the matter is"

"I don't stare at you!"

"No, of course you don't" She stated, dryly "Well...what is it?"

"What's what?"

"The matter...you imbecile"

"...it's nothing."

"Alright" Dick rolled his eyes "You're not even going to bother trying?" She shrugged "I tried, you did not wish to speak"

"You could try pressing on it"

"I find that to be a waste of my time" He scoffed "Seriously?" She shrugged once more "I can't believe I actually wanted to talk to you" She nodded "It is an unbelievable thing isn't it?" She kept silent for a moment and observed him, before speaking up "I must admit, I came here tonight with an agenda in mind" He raised a brow but remained silent as Shadow gave him a thermobecher "I had a mission in Paris before this...I begrudgingly thought of you"

"You ever think of me grudgingly?" She raised a brow, knowing they both meant the same thing but not his dictionary "Not likely, no"

He took the large thermobecher from her hands and raised a brow "Is it poison?" She gave an amused huff "Oh, Grayson. Haven't we established that I will kill you in the most unexpected ways? Besides I have grown to like..." She paused "...this rooftop, wouldn't want it dirty"

He nodded and took a sip from whatever was inside and his eyes widened at the taste. Hit with both fondness and nostalgia as he did so. "This is..."

Shadow shook her head "We both know what it is, love. Just savour the taste of it all will you?" His ears turned a slight tinge of pink, hearing her call him 'love' but he nodded. "Why did you bring this?"

"Well it is a social construct that one gives another a gift on their day of birth" He rolled his eyes, of course she knew, she just knew everything, didn't she "You're such a know it all" He mumbled and she smirked "It is helpful to know one's enemies...far more helpful to know their friends" She shook her head and sighed "I assume your sour mood has something to do with your feelings about today?"

He sighed, pulling the mug away "I don't know...it's been a long time but...I miss them. On every single one, and no matter how much you hope to wake up from the nightmare, it never ends" Shadow looked away "Perhaps your life was a way for theirs to continue" She told him after a silent moment

"You were the life they chose to bring into the world, it is by your means that they live on. Your day of birth is like any other day. It simply comes with a cake and a bad song"

"It's not that bad"

"You are right...it is worse" She sighed "Thanks" He nodded, "When's yours? I mean do you have a birthday?" She raised a brow "I must...though I do not know when"

"You don't know your own birthday?" He questioned, feeling his heart break for her "Well...the League isn't big on cake or birthdays. I just know that I age as the year passes" He looked down at the cup in his hand and sighed "I'm sorry"

"It is fine" She shrugged, a bitter frown on her lips "I am not fond of cake"

"Neither were the people of France...if you catch my drift" She rolled her eyes "I beg you...please stop" He chuckled slightly "For what it's worth, I'm glad you were born" He offered and she said nothing but gave a gentle nod, her eyes holding gratitude.

"How'd you know about this anyway? I doubt you just found it" She smirked "Now if I told you that, I shall have to tell you all my secrets...and then I shall have to kill you"

'Les Boulangers Magiques' a little bakery housed right next to the old abandoned catacombs in Paris where Haly had informed her he had gotten the recipe—the old woman refused to make anything but she softened when she heard his name and made her this hot chocolate with her own hands, including making the chocolate from scratch.

Robin just shook his head at her and spent a few hours of the night with her before reluctantly going home

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

BLÜDHAVEN
DECEMBER 1, 08:16 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

HE HAD JUST WOKEN UP AFTER AN AMAZING NIGHT AND BETTE, THE GIRL HE SPENT IT WITH HAD BEEN IN HIS BATHROOM. A KNOCK ON HIS DOOR CAUGHT HIS ATTENTION AND HE OPENED IT, NOT EXPECTING ANYONE BUT HIS EYES WIDENED WHEN HE SAW SHADOW "Wha—what are you doing here?"

"I called, you left a message for me to come later. It is later. I require your expertise on a subject matter. Since it is the day of your birth, I had hoped to treat you to some breakfast as well" She smiled slightly and he nodded frantically "Sounds great, let me just—" He bumped his head into the door and hissed,

"Are you alright?" Her brows furrowed, slightly puzzled by his frazzled state

"Yeah—yeah totally"

"Well then may I enter, Grayson?" He held his head "No!" He immediately said before closing his eyes "I-I mean you can, obviously. Come inside. Sure"

"Are you sure I have not intruded?" She questioned, noting his discomforting "No—Nope"  He stuttered, holding the door wide open for her and allowing her inside, having her take a seat on the island and he held out his hands in defensive position, hoping to change out of his t shirt and sweats "Just give me a second...I'll be right back"

She nodded, still slightly concerned by his odd actions, how the idiot ever managed to seduce women was beyond her comprehension. She heard a door open and a blonde walked out of his bathroom "Oh!" She exclaimed, fixing her hair "Hello?" She waved awkwardly "I'm uh—I'm Bette"

Shadow raised a brow, now recalling who she was "I'm aware" Bette's brows furrowed in confusion "New girl?"

She gave her a small smirk as she watched Bette squirm slightly "I have a name, darling"

"Right...sorry..." She trailed off, uncomfortably "Athena"

"...Athena" Bette's eyes widened as she placed a hand to her head "God...don't tell me you're his girlfriend." She then mumbled her next words but Shadow heard her clearly "A guy that hot...This can't be happening again"

"I can assure you I am not his girlfriend"

"Oh thank goodness" She sighed in relief and shook her head "I'm—uh I'm gonna head out" Shadow raised a brow "If my presence makes you uncomfortable love, I can leave?"

Bette shook her head "No. No. I have work and besides...this was a one time thing" She hurriedly grabbed her jacket and began to rush out as Dick walked in and his eyes widened at the scene. Shadow didn't seemed phased but Bette seemed to want the earth to swallow her whole. Understandably, Dick wanted that too. She placed a kiss on his cheek "Thanks again, handsome" She smiled before leaving

Dick sighed rubbing the back of his neck as Shadow looked at him with a raised brow "Are all the women you bed usually this squirmy in the morning?" Dick blushed "No...No I think you just surprised her"

"Well you should have told me about the severity of the situation at the door" He sighed and she looked at him "Is that why you were acting so...strange when I arrived?" He rubbed the back of his neck "Darling, I am well aware of your rakish behaviour, no need to worry about it. You are as Wallace states 'A dog' by all means" He rolled his eyes "Never liked that nickname"

"No but you certainly love the boost of ego it comes with" She smirked "Now...I know it isn't quite the breakfast you were expecting but shall we head out?"

Dick grinned at her, at her obliviousness to the fact that he would prefer talking to her over anything else, any other pleasures that were offered to him "Let me just grab my jacket"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

BLÜDHAVEN
DECEMBER 1, 02:16 EST
TEAM YEAR FOUR

WHERE DELIBERATE, THE LOVE IS SLIGHT, WHO EVER LOVED, THAT LOVED NOT AT FIRST SIGHT? Eighteen and college weren't the best of ideas for Shadow since she wasn't aware of the fact that she'd end up drunk and sitting on the sidewalk outside waiting for whomever she had called to pick her up.

Dick Grayson didn't expect to be woken up by his phone ringing in the middle of the night, he was just hitting the depths of sleep when it buzzed, filled with incoherent voicemails, jibbers and now a location. All from Shadow. He had a class in the morning, but he digressed, an all nighter wasn't something new to him and he picked up his keys and Zeta'd to the location of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

He had it easy, college wasn't a complete bother for him, he just Zeta'd to this location directly from either his apartment or the Cave. But, Shadow, she lived here, in an apartment near Harvard University to skip the usual commute and socialise more. It wasn't that far of a walk and he was relieved to know she was still on campus.

He walked to the front of the building and saw her sitting on the sidewalk, he almost tripped when he saw her giggle—she was giggling at him "Hey you" Her words were slurred and he immediately knew she was drunk "Look at you, all night in shining...leather jacket. You came" He shrugged "You called"

"I did?" She questioned confused and stood up only to almost fall had it not been for him catching her. An incredibly innocent pout on her lips "I seem to have forgotten my keys" He nodded and sighed "Come on" He picked her up and carried her the entire way back to his own apartment.

When Dick came home, he was greeted by the sight of his neighbour, Zelda Armada, who smiled warmly at him and Shadow "Young love..." She muttered "How are you, dear?" She questioned as she fed a stray cat that would show up around this time of night "I'm good. Just helping a friend"

"Hello" Shadow waved excitedly "I too am fond of cats" Zelda smiled "That's very nice, dear. I'll have you over for tea then?" Shadow enthusiastically nodded as she leaned against a wall while Dick opened his apartment door

"Your neighbour seems nice" She commented as he gently helped her inside, staying behind her so she didn't fall, a hand securely around her waist "Oh she's the best, sends me cookies every weekend" She nodded, he led her to the bedroom and gently laid her down. Her brows furrowed as she stared at him "Hmm. Your eyes are very much blue, like an ocean"

"Oh?"

"Yes, it is not a wonder how I'm lost in them every moment" She spoke playfully and he shook his head "Uh huh"

"Tell me, do we know each other?" She questioned and Dick grinned teasingly "Not that I can recall"

"Well, allow me introduce myself. I'm..." She trailed off and frowned

"Can't remember?"

"I could've sworn it was on the tip of my tongue" She muttered before shaking her head "No matter, we'll just be beautiful strangers to each other—fleeting memories and moments. Tell me pretty man, have you ever been in love?"

"Just once"

"Oh" She gasped "Was it confusing? Exciting? Was it excruciatingly painful to see the one you love but you cannot be with, knowing they deserve so much better?"

"Oh trust me it is" He nodded and it seemed she grew even more excited "You—you should tell her!" He rolled his eyes "Oh I should?"

Shadow nodded, cupping his face and looking deeply into his eyes "Like this. Yes! Yes just look at her gently and say the three damned words 'I love you'"

"Alright" He mimicked her actions and pulled her closer "I love you"

Her eyes widened comically as she became silent "Well that was unexpected" She shook her head "We've only just met"

He released her and fluffed the pillows "It was love at first sight" He said.

Love at first sight had always seemed a ridiculous thing to him, fairy tale stuff, but there was that one morning when he looked at Shadow and nothing else had mattered, whatever matter. She was beautiful, but it wasn't that, it was something else, some strange compulsion that made him feel that he'd known her for a thousand years, that he'd been waiting all his life

To believe in love at first sight...it's not the first moment you lay eyes on a person, it's the moment you first see the person they truly are. He truly loved all of her, he had for a long time now and no matter how hard he tried to move on from her, he couldn't, because a part of him was sure she loved him too. But, they tried to hide it.

She was emotionally unavailable, not ready for such a huge commitment and he was...well he was arguably not the guy she deserved to be with, he still wanted to know her, to know the very depth of her soul in order to be someone who could become a part of her life she insisted could never exist.

"Well then—I suppose I'll have to break your heart" She spoke, her frown returning "Why?"

"A person doesn't know true hurt and suffering until they've felt the pain of falling in love with someone whose affections lie elsewhere" She sighed, laying down "Mine lie elsewhere, you my lovely stranger, I simply cannot bare to hurt"

"You mind me asking who the lucky man is?" He questioned and she shrugged "A friend" He nodded "You zoning him?"

"I do not know what that means"

"Nevermind"

"I-I do not feel quite right" She held her head "That's what happens when you drink too much"

"I feel like my head and soul were taken from my body then said body was slammed into a wall" He nodded "Mhm. All that and more"

"I must say, I do not drink alcohol much I believe this is my first time acting like a drunkard lunatic" He chuckled "Oh I've seen drunkard lunatics, you're far from it"

"Well that's a relief" She turned on her side "Go to sleep you'll feel better in the morning"

"I cannot sleep, I must go fight the big turtle that threatens the city" He chuckled, gently stroking her hair "It was Killer Croc and he's been arrested"

"They caught the turtle?" She sighed "Oh how wonderful!" He nodded and her eyes began to droop as she slept, Dick sighed knowing she would remember none of this, but he hoped that by some miracle, some day she grabs him just like that and confesses the truth they know was buried within her heart.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

MOUNT JUSTICE
DECEMBER 1, 09:06 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

The Team was assembled in the mission room as Nightwing reviewed a graph of El Paso. Wolf had taken to laying near Shadow's feet as Superboy made a motion for him to come towards him, only to be ignored.

"He likes you way too much" She raised a brow, gently petting his snout, causing him to immediately wake up and ask for more of her attention "You maybe right" Rocket and Zatanna stopped by to congratulate Nightwing on his birthday;—Zatanna moved to kiss him on the mouth but kissed his cheek instead and he whispered something in her ear "Evah a yppah yadhtrib" She said as they pulled away

"Now it's a lock" The former Boy Wonder spoke up, cheekily. Rockett too kissed his cheek and Zatanna raised a brow "How is it again you're still friends with all your exes?"

The man in question smirked "That's my super power" They chuckled and began to head off for the Watchtower "Now we really so need to Zeta to the Watchtower" Rockett nodded "Don't want to be late for our first briefing with the League" Bumblebee stopped Rockett, something about pictures of Amistad, her son.

Zatanna looked at Shadow "You owe me a girls night" She smirked and the former assassin inwardly sighed "Must I?"

"Yes—don't be late, we have...things to talk about" Shadow nodded. Robin turned to Nightwing "Happy birthday, you'll forgive me if we don't kiss..." He smirked "...But I need to head back to Gotham"

Nightwing nodded, and gave Tim a strained smile, his relations with Bruce not on the best of terms yet "The Dynamic Duo thing, believe me. I know the drill"

RECOGNISED:
-ZATANNA; 25 - ROCKETT; 26

Robin walked away as Nightwing turned his attention to the once happy couple of Miss M and Superboy. Tim stood next to Shadow and she looked at him "Hello, love" She greeted as Wolf laid his head against her palm and Tim blushed "Hey—Uh morning...are you and I still on for coffee?" He questioned hesitantly and she raised a brow "I would not miss it for the world" The boy nodded, somewhat excitedly before leaving

"Ok Team. Mission briefing...gather up" Nightwing announced "Members will be split up into two squads."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

MOUNT JUSTICE
DECEMBER 1, 09:34 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

SHADOW STOOD IN THE CAVE WITH MAL OVERSEEING BOTH BETA AND ALPHA SQUADS, STAYING IN FOR BACKUP AND TO CATCH UP WITH HER OTHER LIFE, NOT TO MENTION, THIS MISSION MAY HAVE BROUGHT BACK AN AWFUL LOAD OF THINGS SHE'D RATHER KEEP BURIED DEEP DOWN

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are assembled here to discuss freedom!" Noor Harjavti spoke with much confidence...

QURAC 
DECEMBER 1, 09:34 EST
TEAM YEAR ZERO

A YOUNG SHADOW OBSERVED FROM HER SPOT NEAR THE ROOF AS DEADSHOT GATHERED HIS GEAR "Ladies and gentlemen, we are assembled here to discuss freedom!"

"They stuck me with a kid..." He mumbled "Technically...the kid is stuck with you—I do not require assistance to shoot a man in the shoulder" The hit man scoffed "Ok then why am I here?"

She spoke up after a moment as she aimed her blade at the president and took a clean shot, only to have it hit his brother instead. Just as planned "—Collateral" She answered as she stood back and watched Superboy appear behind Deadshot who sought to shoot him but was ultimately over powered by the boy and his animalistic urges.

Shadow didn't stay back to see what had become of him, instead returning to her handler and the woman who had sought her out for the job.

─────⋅☾

"You see, Deadshot was just to conceal the identity of my actual assassin, Shadow never misses. Sumaan Harjavti was always the target...and now Sumaan is as much a hero to his people as he is a thrall to me" Queen Bee smirked explaining her plan to a enchanted Marie Logan. "That's not revenge, just good strategy—No, you my dear. You're my revenge"

Shadow stood outside, leaning near a tree as Queen Bee exited the vehicle and approached her. "You did good work, though it seems Deadshot suffered many wounds" Shadow remained silent, "It is fine...men are a means to end" She laughed gently, a melodic sound if Shadow were being honest.

The pick up truck in front started and began to drive off a cliff "Trust me when I say this, dear Shadow..." Queen Bee mused "...Love is the fastest way down" The truck had fallen as the Queen turned to leave and Shadow followed behind, oblivious to the fact that Marie Logan had been the driver who had died.

Though she may not have known, her actions, were the trigger that allowed Queen Bee to shoot the bullet that would end the woman's life and leave her child an orphan. For that, she would never forgive herself. Much like she wouldn't for all else.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

MOUNT JUSTICE
DECEMBER 1, 10:34 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

SHE WAS PULLED OUT OF HER FLASHBACK WHEN A SUDDEN NOISE BEGAN TO CREATE STATIC IN HER HEAD AND MAL'S EYES WIDENED AS SHADOW DISAPPEARED, HER ENTIRE FORM BECOMING ENERGY AND VANISHING AS A DISTRESS ALERT CAME THROUGH, WOLF HOWLING AFTER THE WOMAN.

"Beta squad to Cave, Superboy has disappeared! Vanished before our eyes, he's out of range of my psychic link and radio...plus Superman and Devastation have disappeared too" Miss M informed. Mal got over his shock and typed into the holoscreen, seeing an interference pattern "Same here with Shadow" He informed and everyone's eyes widened "It's bigger than that though, conferencing in Alpha squad and Watchtower"

"I'm tracing a powerful Zeta radiation signal to Earth's moon. Our missing may have been teleported there" Martian Manhunter informed "...Unfortunately all three Lanterns, both Hawks and our cooperative delegation are currently off world" Red Tornado added

Nightwing, if he was worried beyond help, didn't show it, knowing Shadow would be fine "Then there's no time to lose...

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅

THE MOON
DECEMBER 1, 16:06 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

THE SAME BUZZING SOUND INVADED HER EARS STILL AS SHE FOUND HERSELF UNABLE TO MOVE, HER HANDS AND ARMS RESTRAINED. 'What fresh hell is this?' She thought to herself as she looked around, to see Superboy, Superman, Captain Marvel, Captain Atom and Wonder Woman in a similar situation as herself, though they seemed to be in far more pain than she was.

Devastation and other criminals of the sort were present as well causing her brows to furrow in confusion. Involuntarily, Shadows started to surround her cage, cracking through the glass slightly, trying to reach for her. She could hear Captain Marvel utter something from her right  but she chose to ignore him and focused all her energy on on the Shadows, using them to give her strength. Enough to break free.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

FOUR YEARS AGO

"NOW YOUR FIRST LESSON IN THE ART OF CONTROLLING SHADOWS IS THAT YOU MUST CONCENTRATE" She nodded "It may sound easy, but I assure you it is not" The Master informed her "Shadows are tricky, they exist everywhere. They are the dark side of the ying yang—once under your influence, you must sought to keep them that way. But, if balanced, they will become your biggest strength—a greater power than you see yourself to have.

He placed a thick heavy metal sheet in front of her "Start small, crack this with your bare hands"

"That is small?" She questioned dryly and the Master offered a smile "For someone of your power? Yes it is" She nodded obediently and closed her eyes, concentrating energy on her palms, just as he told her and she could not see it, but black energy began to circle her hands, turning to a wispy ink that was absorbed by her skin, allowing her to harness the dark energy

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

SHADOW MANAGED TO BREAK THROUGH THE GLASS LIKE CAGE BY FOLLOWING THE SAME PRACTICE. SHE DID IT JUST IN TIME TO OBSERVE CAPTAIN MARVEL TRANSFORM INTO HIS ORIGINAL FORM OF BILLY BATSON.  "Darn I thought the Magic Lightning would shatter this thing...hey that dumb noise is gone" He turned his attention to Shadow "How did you break out?" She didn't answer "...The noise is still annoying but it works on Captain Marvel not me!"

Captain Atom too, hearing this, transformed and broke out of the cage as Shadow shattered the inhibitor Bucky balls above both Wonder Woman and Superboy's cages as Captain Atom did the same with Superman's. All three broke free and Billy cleared his throat "Uh a little help? You need to blast that—" Shadow threw one of her shadow blades and shattered the ball above Captain Marvel's cage allowing him to transform and break free "—thanks" She silently nodded

"We should free Major Force" He advised and Captain Atom crossed his arms "Do we have to?" Wonder Woman placed a hand on his shoulder "Captain I know you've resisted all attempts to admit the Major to the Justice League and since he is your friend, we've respected your wishes but Major Force is a hero—"

"—Yeah a hero and such a good friend" He scoffed bitterly, and Shadow raised a brow, even superheroes let emotions get the best of them. Noted "Look eventually, we'll have to release everyone here..." He turned his attention to the villains "...but right now we don't know who's behind this, we don't even know where we are" He looked at them "There are too many questions. So as the Leagues newly elected leader. I'm pulling rank" 'Spoken like a true army captain' Shadow mused "We keep this in the family until we get some answers"

Superman agreed, and pointed to Draaga, an alien warrior that he and Superboy once defeated. All prisoners were powerhouses—which gave ample reason for them to be weary of their captor.

Shadow ignored the rest of their conversation and walked away to observe her surroundings, coming across a window "It appears..." She spoke, grabbing their attention immediately "...we are on the moon" Their eyes widened as they followed her path and came to the window "This wasn't what I was expecting..." Superboy trailed off, looking at her but she kept her stare blank "How'd this structure get on the moon?" Superman questioned

"That's the least of our worries" Captain Atom spoke and Wonder Woman nodded "Yes escape as we thought may be difficult. But, the real problem is how we get home"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

IT FELT AS IF THEY HAD BEEN WALKING IN CIRCLES AROUND THE VESSEL AND PEHAPS THEY WERE AS POINTED OUT BY SUPERBOY, SUPERMAN'S X-RAY VISION WASN'T WORKING EITHER. INFACT NONE OF THE ATTEMPTS THEY HAD MADE HAD WORKED THUS FAR. LONG STORY SHORT;

Captain Marvel realised that Captain Atom should be able to detect high-energy signatures that would allow them to find, and then commandeer, the teleporters that brought them to the Moon. Shadow doubted his, otherwise, impressive plan.

The next moment, the group was teleported inside a cell. They were addressed by something called Orb-One, providing translation for First Leader Kylstar. Calling them 'weapons', he told them they belong in Weapons Room Four, but since their customized containers were non-functional they will stay where they are. Their protests were disregarded. Kylstar's Vessel then rose from the surface of the Moon and headed into space.

"Ok we may have a problem..." Captain Marvel announced as they ascended "What finally tipped you?" Superboy dryly asked, the Captain shrugged "...The guy drives a convertible, I'm impressed" Shadow rolled her eyes at him

"Please ask Kylstar to return us to Earth" Superman pleaded and just as it processed and translated each word, it continued to do the same "Weapons belong in the weapons room" It replied

"That does it..." Superboy was held back by Superman as Wonder woman spoke "Tell Kylstar we are not weapons! We are sentient beings"

Hold. Translate "You are the most powerful weapons your pitiful planet had to offer. Your level of intelligence will not be held against you" Shadow scoffed, it unintentionally called them idiots "Do we have to take this?" Captain Marvel questioned "No"

Shadow allowed dark wisps to appear on the surface of where she stood and weakened it, she then stomped her foot into the ground, allowing a hole to form "We cannot bust out into the void of space but..." Superboy and Superman caught on and punched a hole in the ground with their strength and they all jumped in "Our agenda remains the same, we still need to find his—" Captain atom was cut off as they were all teleported once more "—Teleportation device"

"Translation: First leader Kylstar believes your organic programming is flawed..." Shadow stood weary of him, he seemed far stronger and more powerful, she had to observe him before making a move "...in that you do not recognise his superiority as worthy of his service. Out of kindness, he will personally reprogram all of you" Shadow inwardly sighed, she had been programmed enough to last her a lifetime, she certainly didn't need some alien form doing it to her either.

"Reprogram?" Captain Atom echoed, stepping forward "How does he plan—" He was cut off by a swift punch in his face that sent him crashing into Superman and sent them both flying. Everyone's eyes widened—except Shadow's—next to suffer a blow was Superboy, who had managed to hold off one blow but was hit by the other fist.

Kylstar continued to dominate the heroes in a physical fight, holding Wonder Woman in one hand, and told them he was pleased with their progress. Superman and Captain Atom attacked him with heat vision and energy blasts, respectively, but the energy attacks were absorbed into Kylstar's body. They reflected internally multiple times, until they were released–the heat vision from his eyes, the energy blasts from his free hand–hitting their originators. He slammed Wonder Woman to the ground, and lifted a foot down to hit her, but Shadow caught the blow and threw him back.

Kylstar landed on his feet in a fighting stance, much to Superboy's annoyance, who groaned in pain, clutching his side. The heroes kept up a fight until they were all knocked back. Shadow pulled out a clean dagger, allowing her dark energy to travel throughout it's dense blade and immediately took aim for Kylstar's chest, sending him back, a crack appearing in his body as the Shadow's seeped in and turned his entire crystal like figure an inky black

"Nice hit" Captain Atom praised, clutching his shoulder "This is only a momentary distraction. As much as it has held up against our individual strengths, it would never be able to defeat a collective stance"

Wonder woman nodded in agreement "She is correct. We've miscalculated, counted on our own considerable raw power. But, his power is uncut, so instead we will count on each other." She pulled out her lasso as Shadow noticed the darkness dissipating and flicked her wrist to pull it back "We are not six individual warriors. We are a single army"

The heroes reorganised, and changed their tactics. Wonder Woman used her lasso on Kylstar, and Captain Marvel wrapped him in it. Now unable to use his arms, Captain Atom and Superman hit him in the jaw at high speed, "Glass Jaw...who knew?" Shadow and Superboy kicked the back of his knees as part of the move they called the West Maneuver, Kylstar fell over backwards. As they went to carry him off, he came to, and Orb-One summoned new orbs to contain the heroes' powers. This time, they are tuned to, Shadow's powers, Captain Atom's and Captain Marvel's alternate forms as well. They are all ultimately defeated.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

IF SHADOW VOLUNTARILY HUGGED OTHERS, SHE WOULD HUG M'GANN WITH ALL HER MIGHT. THE MARTIAN HAD RESCUED THEM AND HAD TAKEN DOWN THE ORBS EMITTING THE DISTURBING NOISE.

Orb-One translated Kylstar's message. The first leader was impressed with the heroes. All captives have been released, and Orb-One explains Kylstar's motives. After his world was destroyed, his people were captured. He abducted sentient weapons from across the universe to stop the slavers. Miss Martian doubts it, but one alien telepathically corroborates the story.

However, Kylstar explained he is not affiliated with the Collector of Worlds, and to show his good intentions, offered to return those who want, to their own planet. To those who want to help him fight, he offered good treatment and glorious battle. Major Force, Black Adam, Blockbuster and Draaga agreed. Captain Atom objected to Major Force's cooperation, but cannot convince him not to go.

Shadow found the whole abduction to be a useless waste of time, energy and effort. One prepares an army by making it not by forcing one. The rest of them were teleported away to the Collector's ship.

Nightwing turned to them, his voice urgent "Guys! Alien robot trying to take over Metropolis! Take him down" The bio ship began to open fire and destroyed the Collector's body. Superboy picks up the intact head of the robot "What was this thing?"

"He called himself Brainiac of IZod or something like that" Flash informed. But the Collector was not finished; he noticed Superboy's partial Kryptonian heritage, and shot him in the face with a green beam emitted from his severed head. The Collector remarked Superboy's Kryptonian DNA was corrupted, but Superman stepped in and blasted the head with his heat vision.

"Kon-El is every bit a Kryptonian and I should know...because I am Kal-El of Krypton" Shadow raised a brow at their dramatics and turned her head to find several replicas of the Collecter's body along with small globes, dioramas nestled in another room next to this one.

"Is that it? Did we win?" Lagoon Boy questioned. Shadow knew this was far from over

"Do not flatter yourself, Earthling. Did you truly believe my twelfth level intelligence would not be relegated to a single coludroid unit?" He turned to Superman "Still scans indicate you are Kryptonian. If such a thing is possible..."

Shadow looked at him "If the force sphere shuts down while the reduction beam is engaged...it will devastate your world"

"Hey! That's my job" Devastation butted in but was ignored along with the Terror Twins "Then perhaps you should disable it. Your force beam prevents communication—they are unable to contact those who tamper with it" Shadow informed "You are no hunter, you are a collecter as indicated by your name, surely your intention was not to destroy our world?" She questioned

The Brainiac walked to his control panel and nodded "I am the Collector of worlds, not their destroyer. I have disengaged the beam" He announced

He turned his attention to Shadow "You seem more astute in comparison, tell me are you determined that I not collect your city?"

"Very"

"An inadvisable risk to the preservation of your culture. But, even if one Kryptonian survives. Perhaps the need for preservation is not absolute." He looked at Superman before pulling up a screen "So be it. I will re-enlarge your Metropolis and depart"

Nightwing raised a brow "What about the other cities? Will you return them too?" Shadow looked at the alien "He cannot. Those worlds are gone...he has preserved the last of what was left of them" The Brainiac nodded "This one speaks correctly of my purpose" They all nodded and turned to leave but the Collector stopped Shadow, handing her diorama "I have no right to keep it with me, I trust you to return it to the correct individual?" He asked and she nodded.

She looked at him "You said you preserve world's threatened by extinction—close to it. Your presence here may indicate that very same fate for us, do you know of the cause?"

The Brainiac shook his head "I do not. However, I would advise you to remain cautious, trusted one of Earth." She nodded and left the ship immediately as he began to depart.

Shadow made it to the park just in time to hear them discussing the events that had occurred and led to the arrival of these two aliens "I mean what are the odds of two aliens attacking Earth?" Nightwing questioned and Man hunter nodded "It is disturbing. To my knowledge, the only other such were the Apellaxians and Dragga...and those were random occurrences, years apart"

"It's almost like someone waved a big red flag and said 'We're here! Come and get us'" Nightwing mused "Maybe it was Desaad or someone else from—"

"Oh I'm a fool" Superman knocked his palm against his forehead "The Collector collects cities from doomed worlds—"

"...and you wonder 'what of Krypton?" Shadow completed his thoughts and they all looked at her, the hero nodded. She silently handed him a diorama "The bottled city of Kandor, preserved for centuries to come. He said it was the capital of your home. It rightfully belongs to you" She then turned away before he could thank her and motioned to the space behind Captain marvel "As for your next question..." She threw a blade and it knocked off Grodd's device from his head "There are your criminals"

"Hey!" Tupence Terror yelled out as Devastation glared "You bi—where did she go?" The rest of the heroes smirked as Captain Marvel and Atom cornered them. The space where Shadow stood now empty.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

MOUNT JUSTICE
DECEMBER 2 03:17 EST
TEAM YEAR FIVE

SOMETIMES, FLIRTATION THAT LED TO NOTHING WAS EVERYTHING. THE COQUETRY REMAINED HARMLESS. IF FORTUNATELY CEASED, MOMENTARY SPARKS WOULD NOT BE DAMAGED BY AN UNCERTAIN AND DEBATABLE FUTURE. IT WAS ONE OF LIFE'S LITTLE TREATS TO MEET SOMEONE AMAZING, HAVE PERFECT CHEMISTRY AND WALK AWAY FLATTERED AND REGRETFUL, AND BEST OF ALL, FOREVER REMEMBER A STRANGER WHO WAS SO RIGHT AND YET, BY THEN, SO FAR AWAY.

A perfect memory tastes sweeter than an exhausting series of normal ones. People could have each other without possession. Nothing needed to last forever when good memories lasted forever.

But human nature was selfish, it craved more. It demands more than just memory, it craves the intimacy that comes with the sensation of such moments. No matter how much your mind is to deny you the pleasure, your heart craves it. It craves it even more, when the person that once seemed so far away stands closer to you by the shortest of distances, when he is everything you desire. When he is heaven sent. Crafted for you by the angels and bestowed upon you as a gift.

But, what if you were sinned, should you touch such a thing and tincture it—or let it remain your own forbidden fruit;

Shadow stood in the training room, a punching bag in front as she practiced.

Nightwing had been trying to get the sleep out of his system, you would imagine it would be easy being a Team leader but all the paper work, reports, his own detective work and side quests were an added burden to his shoulder. Most of the Team was gone, many were asleep, some on missions. It seemed he was alone in the cave...

A rattle sound echoed across the entire cave

...or not

He entered the training area to see Shadow gently lifting up a broken punching bag with a sigh and a shake of her head "At this rate, I might have to take away your punching bag privileges" He teased and she didn't look at him as she spoke, too busy using her powers to lift the bag and stuff it into storage along with the other one's she had broken "It's not my fault they cannot do what they were made for" Dick laughed slightly "Need a partner?"

"Please" She insisted and he walked forward "Only if you promise not to rip me apart—I can't exactly be replaced" She scoffed "I think Batman might not find that to be an issue" He rolled his eyes, getting into a fighting stance.

Shadow held back when she fought him, her skill far outweighed his own and quite frankly it was almost a reflex for her to do so at times, she easily avoided his hits and caught his arm, flipping him over her shoulder but he caught her waist with one hand and spun her, her back against his chest and her arms pinned behind her back, he spoke in her ear "You're going easy on me" He stated in breathy tone and she felt goosebumps as he did so "Don't"

She barely managed to nod before easily getting out of his hold and easily bested him in the fight, finally ending it when he fell to the floor and she stood above him "I hoped to save you from inevitable failure but it seems you—" He had kicked her knees and she fell on top of him, her hair forming somewhat of a curtain around them as he grinned at her "Never let yourself be distracted" He advised and she scoffed "If this were an actual fight, you would have no chance of doing this and besides...you already lost"

He looked at her, her hands on either side of his hand "I don't know...feels like I won" She rolled her eyes "You've been in Wallace's company far too long" He chuckled "Why don't you just kiss me?" He questioned and she smirked "I shall consider kissing you if you manage to beat me"

"And how do I do that?" He questioned, his face angled closer and she raised a brow "Catch me off guard I suppose?" He nodded before immediately flipping them around, pinning her hands above her head and smirked "Surprised?"

"Hardly"

"Liar"

She shook her head, using her leg to kick him in the stomach causing him to groan and she pushed him off, standing up "Sorry, love. You still lost." She offered him her hand "There is no possibility where you beat me" She stated honestly as he rolled his eyes "Yeah. Yeah. All hail Shadow" She elbowed him slightly but he caught her arm, pulling her close, his eyes subtly flickering to her lips and hers to his, both separated by a few inches "I don't need to win a fight in order to kiss you, you know?"

She raised a brow "Then how ever do you expect to achieve your goal?" He smirked, shrugging but his tone was ever so sweet and smooth "By winning you over"

Shadow looked at him briefly before looking away, bitterly "Pointless. I am not skilled in that regard. I do not know how to love you" She stated "I do not know what it means to love someone" He felt his heart ache, perhaps shatter in it's place—was this what it felt like—to love, to lose and to feel the sorrow of the one you loved all at the same time? If so, Dick Grayson had felt it and he hated every single second of it. But, he did know this part was bound to come up at some point

"I know you're not ready" He began, whispering ever so slightly "I don't think you'll be ready. But, when you are...I'll be here"

"Isn't that cruel? To make you wait?" He smiled sadly, how could she not see it... "It's not like you're pausing my life, we both know I'm—

"—A dog?" He chucked "Let's go with that" He gently pulled her even closer and angled her to face him "You're worth every second of the wait. Trust me" She almost flinched when he came closer, and kissed her forehead, causing her to close her eyes longingly. He then left Shadow alone, seemingly to confront her own demons.

Please vote and comment. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.7K 2.7K 45
"I love you, Blue Jay. I love everything about you." "And I love you, Dick Grayson. But-" "But what?!" "How can you say you love everything about me...
1.1K 65 7
After a freak Mishap, the Team find themselves in an unfamiliar world, with some very familiar faces. Ported from my YJ oneshots book. This will be...
5.4K 191 8
"couldn't you at least be likable?" "not my thing, bird boy." [NIGHTWING x OC] [YOUNG JUSTICE AU] [BATFAM x OC] → if you l...
174K 6.7K 21
Dick Grayson was fed up with Batman, that's true, but he was also tired, tired of always being treated like a kid, tired of keeping secrets, tired of...