Always next to you

By _ToniaFrancis

Abandoned by her mother and boyfriend of four years, Nicole gets a new job to start her independent life. Her... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Author's Note

Chapter Thirty-Four

22 2 0
By _ToniaFrancis

AIDEN

"Lizzy, any news from your contact?" I asked as I barged my way into my own office.

For the past few days, I was barely at my office, but I left some instructions for Lizzy. There was no more time. Nicole wasn't safe. No one I cared about was safe.

"Sir, did anything happen?" Lizzy asked.

It was hard to explain what I was going through. I was angry enough to ram through a skyscraper. Why can't I catch fucking a break? Every second felt like I would lose the last shred of my sanity to rage.

The worst part of everything was that I was powerless. Looking at the photo Jonas sent me today proved my point. There was someone constantly watching Nicole's building, and this was a recent development. I noticed the same figure the last time I was there.

I fought the urge to find that person's whereabouts in case it wasn't him. The battle line had been drawn already, and I had to start taking action on my part. Thinking about everything happening now, maybe I should have left Nicole out of it.

She was right to call me selfish. I regretted it deeply, and I wished I had kept her next to me at all costs. It was too late for regrets.

"I don't want to talk about it right now, Lizzy," I replied. "It was about time I knew what was happening. Please tell me what you know,"

"It's been a while since I practised, but I was able to gather intel from my paralegal friends," Lizzy said, pushing an iPad towards me. "I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but I think you and Jonas Callisto will understand what's really happening,"

"Jonas? Why Jonas?"

To answer my question, Lizzy dropped a picture on my desk, which I picked up quickly. The photo carried a few faces, most of which were familiar. However, it was very easy to spot my father and Mrs. Callisto seated side by side and making a toast to the city mayor.

"A political deal? That's what my father is after? What does Diana have to do with any of this?" I asked.

"I think you should read the content of that file." Lizzy pointed to the iPad. "I decided to work discreetly so I'll print it out for you later by myself,"

I picked up the iPad and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the title of the document. It was a detailed plan for a future housing project the city council was about to commission. I swiped through a few pages to read more about the plans, and with every turn, I was even more shocked.

Everything my father had been doing for the past twenty years was because of this project. It all finally made sense to me. When I got to the final page of the document, I got to see which mayor signed the preparations.

The plan had been in motion for years and I wondered what went wrong that they had to stall the project. However, my curiosity did not wander for long. My gaze shifted to the date of the documents we signed and It was shocking enough to pull me down.

13th September, 2010.

This housing project has been approved for over a decade. There were two other additional documents for the same project. One from seven years ago when the then-mayor tried to start the project again and another from a few weeks ago.

Was this it? The reason my father wanted me to marry Diana, was it this contact? The company was doing fine for as long as I could remember, so what was the truth?

The wheels in my head were spinning at a rapid rate. Maybe it was because I was able to get over five hours of sleep yesterday, but my brain worked even faster now. Thirteen years ago, seven years ago, and now in 2023. Something drastic has happened each time.

Seven years ago, it was Jessi's engagement, and this year it was my engagement. However, two drastic things happened thirteen years ago. I had to figure out which one was connected to this housing project. I looked at the signing dates for both documents.

The one from seven years ago was signed three days before Jessi's engagement announcement, just like I suspected. It was very obvious what happened in September 2010. It was the reason I couldn't fall asleep alone after almost a decade.

The month I got kidnapped was in September, but it happened towards the end of the month. I remember it being cold because summer had already ended. It didn't match the date of the signing, but there was something else that did.

The death of Andre Callisto.

Jonas' father.

"Lizzy, on what day did Jonas' father die?" I asked.

Lizzy pulled out her phone and did a quick search online.

"14th September 2010," she replied.

"Fucking hell," I gasped. "Those fucking assholes,"

"Sir, is everything alright?"

"How soon can I get the printed copy of these documents?"

"I can get it for you in about two minutes, sir,"

"Good. make it now. I need to go somewhere quickly,"

As soon as Lizzy stepped out, I pulled out my phone to call the Mayor. I knew exactly the kind of man he was because he came to me to sponsor his election. It was obvious he was in the same boat as my father, but he went behind his back to get funds from me.

It was apparent he knew about this deal and had been keeping it from me. My father was right in one thing. You should never trust a politician.

"Mayor Travis, I see you've been having a great time partying with my father and his friends," I said as soon as he picked up.

"Mr Stark," He chuckled. "What a surprising call. I heard about the good news. Sorry, I couldn't congratulate you in time,"

"I just realised today that you have something to do with that Mayor Travis,"

"I-I-I don't understand where you would get that idea from, Mr. Stark,"

He stammered. That means my intuition was right. Mayor Travis was hiding something.

"It'll be in your best interest to tell me all that you know about the future housing project you're about to launch,"

"How did you find out about that?"

"Are you admitting that you were keeping something from me? Did you forget who helped you get online support for your election?"

"That's not what I mean, sir. It's just city council business."

"Last time I checked, I'm supposed to be in the know if you're about to award a contract worth billions of dollars to my father. Now that I know you've betrayed me, do you think your term as mayor will continue?"

"I apologise, sir. It was a mistake on my part,"

"I'll let it slide if you answer my question,"

"Anything, sir. I'll tell you anything you need to know,"

"What does Diana Cruti have to do with this plan?"

"Sir- can you-"

"If you cannot answer in five seconds, you'll be hearing from my lawyers this evening,"

"I'm so sorry, Mr Stark," he yelled. "I thought you agreed to everything,"

"Agreed to what?"

"Although the project was approved thirteen years ago, after several conflicts and with the global evolution, Stark construction isn't strong enough to finish the job even with the Callistos supplying the materials. That's where Mr. Cruti came in to propose a merger with your father. Please, just let it happen. This project will probably be the biggest project of my political career,"

"If you listen to everything I tell you to do, I won't have to worry about you any more in future," I replied and hung up immediately.

Now that I knew the truth, I was even more upset. My father wanted to marry Jessi off to expand our construction power and I just found out it was for this project. There was still something that seemed fishy.

The first attempt at pushing forward with the project was cancelled because of Andre Callisto's death. So what really happened was that Andre Callisto had to die. Our lives started going to shit from that point on.

I didn't have any proof, but I was sure my kidnapping had something to do with this. My father knew everything, and he purposely kept it from me.

"The printout is ready sir,"

"Good."

I grabbed the files and rushed out of the ZEN Industries building. It was still early in the morning, but I was sure my father would be at work. He was an asshole, but he was never late to work.

When I got to Stark Industries, the employees getting to their offices were surprised to see mine. Even my father's secretaries gasped at the sight of me. They all screwed around, pretending to care about my wants.

I shoved them aside and made my way to his office without asking if my father was in. The old man didn't even flinch when he saw me. It was like he was expecting me.

"Son, I hear you've been busy avoiding your fiance," he said, dropping his cup of tea.

"Stop acting like you care, Dad. If I knew you were gonna go this far, I should have changed my surname when I turned eighteen."

"But you didn't,"

"Make no mistake, that out of respect for my mother, whom you didn't even care about until the day she died. I will never forgive you,"

"You can hate me all you want, Aiden. Nothing will change the fact that you have everything you have now because of me."

"That's where you're wrong. We built Zen without you. Up until two years ago, no one even knew that I was your son. I wish it stayed that way,"

"I know you didn't miss bantering with me, Aiden, so what brings you here?" he asked.

I slammed the files on his table, rattling the teacup on its saucers. He glared at me and then at the file. After a few seconds, he proceeded to read its contents.

"This is why you wanted me to marry Diana, but that is never going to happen. I finally know what you've been after all these years and now that I know, I'll take it all away from you. I will make sure to starve this company dry,"

My father busted out laughing. I frowned, wondering what was so amusing.

"You may have been able to get out of this trap son, but I've lived long enough to have a Plan B,"

He pulled out a file from his desk and threw it towards me.

"What card are you playing now?" I asked, picking up the file.

When I opened it I saw a profile of someone familiar. It was Nicole. Why did my dad have this file on his desk? He wasn't one to let me marry a commoner. Nicole would have to come from an insanely wealthy family to be recommended.

The Nicole that I know was nothing like that. If anything, she looked down on rich people. I got that vibe on the first day we met. Her friend Mia was no different. What was my father playing at?

"She's someone you're familiar with, I'm sure. The girl you were kidnapped with 13 years ago," he said.

What did he mean by that?

I couldn't remember the face of the girl I was kidnapped with because it was too dark. When I was sane enough to find her, it was too late. Her family moved out of the neighbourhood. Jonas told me it was because her father was sick, so I gave up searching for her.

With my sleep struggles, I could imagine all that she was going through. Now my father was telling me that the girl I was kidnapped with was Nicole Banks.

Wait a minute, Banks? Was it the same Banks family that I knew of?

Nicole was their daughter?

I flipped through the files to see pictures of the girl accompanied by old news articles. My eyes widened when I saw she looked just like Nicole. My father was telling the truth. That little girl was Nicole.

My mind quickly went back to the man I saw at my house and at Nicole's house and the message Oliver got. I rushed out of my dad's office to find Nicole. She was in danger.

As soon as I was in my car, I called Jonas.

"Hey what's up,"

"Jonas, we need to meet up tonight, but first I need to find Nicole,"

"Did something happen? I could send some of my men to guard her,"

"No, she'll be too scared. I'll go protect her by myself. Call me when you're done with work today,"

"Sure thing,"

I hung up and drove even faster to Nicole's house. Now that I knew everything, I was sure of what I wanted. It didn't matter if she lied to me or intentionally hid her identity from me. She was in danger. I had to protect her.

When I got to her building, I left my car up front, knowing I could get a ticket for it. I rushed inside the building with urgency, hoping Nicole was safe and sound. I would explain everything after I got her away from here.

The elevator was too slow. I couldn't breathe properly until I saw her safe. I rushed out of the elevator the second it was opened, but there was someone else at her door. The figure was sitting on the floor and their body jerked like they were sobbing.

Was that Mia? Did something happen before I got here?

I rushed to her side and tapped on her shoulder. She raised her head to show me her face full of tears.

"Aiden, you have to help save Nicole. Please save her," she cried.

"Where's Nicole?" I asked.

"She's gone. Her mother came with some men and they took her,"

I pulled out my phone and called Jonas again.

"Jonas. Send the men to my location. This is a fucking code red,"

-  #  #  #  -

Song recommendation: Set me free Pt. 2 - Jimin

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

334K 11.9K 31
Cate, broken and hurting, has escaped to Phoenix to live with her father and start anew. Lakebay at one time was her home and safe haven. She lead a...
338K 10.5K 35
Let's say your about to marry the man of your dreams, but you're mother in law hates you, threatens your unborn child, and no one - not even your fia...
5.7K 199 24
They're Back! Yasmine & The Blacks are back battling their toughest enemy yet, along with their own demons will they ever get their life of peace? C...
1.2K 17 18
skylar storm...the next super alpha...son of alpha Darius storm .the cold one ...the mysterious one..... Blossom storm the alpha's daughter..badass a...