IN THE SHADOWS ─── R. Grayson

By Autumnrain20

'Just how far can one walk the path that has been set for them by others?' [Young justice] More

Prologue
0000.
000.
001.
002.
003.
004.
005.
006.
007.
008.
010.
011.
012.
013.
014.
015.
016.
017.
018.
019.
020.
021.
022.
023.
024.
025.
026.
027.
028.
029.
030.
031.
032.
033.
034.
035.
036.
037.
038.
039.
040.

009.

690 44 14
By Autumnrain20

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

INFINITY ISLAND

SHADOW WAS MID FIGHT IN WITH ONE OF THE OTHER ASSASSINS WHEN SUDDENLY ALL OF THEM DISAPPEARED AND SHE FLIPPED TO AVOID FALLING ON HER FACE "What the hell?" She muttered as she saw the entire island empty with no one around. She could feel the distant effects of magic on the place and shook her head. Must be some new plan drafted by the Chaos lord.

She stepped towards her chamber after scouring the Island and discovered it was actually quite beautiful without the killer threats. She was about to enter her room when she heard a small bang and her brows furrowed. She saw a mop of black hair walk towards her and a smile graced her face "Well. Well. Little Miss Cassandra, now how did I not know your mother brought you along?" She cooed as she kneeled down and hugged the younger girl who immediately hugged back.

Cassandra Cain had to be one of Shadow's favourite people, she viewed the girl as a little sister and would do anything for her, she hoped one day they'd both be free from their shackles. She felt her heart shatter when she learned that at some point her mother had taken out her vocal cords to have her communicate with just her body language. It was unethical and inhumane.

She looked at Shadow with big eyes and gave a smile of her own "So, now that we have no adults here...what shall we do?"

Cassie shrugged "Perhaps we could lay down, or play a game?" She nodded "A game it is then?" That's how they'd spend the afternoon until all the adults were ultimately returned to the Island and Shadow had lulled Cass into a much deserved sleep.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

"SHADOW COME, WE HAVE BEEN WAITING" Shadows brows furrowed 'We?' Though she said nothing about it and walked forward "Count Vertigo, an ally of our organisation requires use of your skills" Sensei informed, gesturing to the man beside him who smirked "I would have employed your services years ago but I thought to wait out my niece's inevitable death. Now, that she has a chance at survival, I request you immediately help me be-rid myself of that pest"

Shadow almost scoffed at his audacity, willing to kill his own blood, treachery, treason and evil. Yet he still saw himself a rightful heir. What a fool.

"Do not worry, I will be the one to kill her, I would never allow that pleasure to someone else. You will be stopping any hero tasked to help her" Sensei nodded "Eliminate any such threat immediately, understood?" Shadow only nodded, before bowing and leaving the room, planning out what to do next

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

SEATTLE MEMORIAL

THE DARK ASSASSIN CRAWLED THROUGH THE HOSPITAL VENTS AND LANDED IN A THE ROOM THE QUEEN PERDITA OF VLATAVA WAS RESTING IN BEFORE HER PLANNED SURGERY.

Shadow was only observing the parameters before her actual mission tomorrow but was surprised at the sight of a young blonde girl wide awake and calmly staring at her "Hello" She greeted and Shadow raised a brow, remaining silent "Are you here to kill me?"

Shadow let her surprise be evident for once but shook her head "Ah, very well then. Come join me, I was about to watch this channel on the American films of old west"

It was amusing hearing her speak, her accent only made her sound more adorable to Shadow and she watched the child in wonder "How old are you, princess, five?"

"Ten actually" She corrected and crossed her arms "It's not nice to assume a lady's age" Shadow smirked "I shall keep that in mind, your majesty"

"Has my uncle sent you?"

"Something along that line, but do not worry, he is a complete imbecile"

"I know that quite well" Perdita smiled sadly "He wants me dead, though no one seems to believe it"

"I believe it and I simply cannot make the grave mistake of letting a man like him lead a country"

"Are you a hero?" She questioned excitedly and Shadow shook her head "Not in the slightest" Perdita's smile still remained "Then my guardian angel you are" Shadow gave her a rare, kind smile in return "Please take a seat?" She requested and Shadow complied, sitting down "Will you stay with me until they begin?" She questioned and Shadow nodded gently "It would be my pleasure, Princess"

"What if my uncle tries to harm me? I cannot let my people down" As a young girl with so much pressure on her shoulders, Shadow could relate and felt incredibly sympathetic for the young one in front of her "He will do no such thing"

"Do you promise?"

"Cross my cold heart"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

WALLY WEST WASN'T IN THE BEST OF MOODS AS HE RAN ACROSS TOWNS TO DELIVER A HEART TO A SUFFERING PATIENT. It was his birthday, everywhere was snowed in and while his teammates fought with the big guns, he was handed a normal task to fulfil. Not to mention he just found out his crush was dating his teammate and he was a little disappointed in that.

But, he was a hero and he would have to learn to be a little less selfish at times. Everyone had banded together to clear a path for him, all the way, cross-country from Boston to Seattle. He had narrowly escaped Vandal savage and lost fifteen minutes of his precious delivery time but made it anyway only to be tricked once more by some sham doctor.

He was in the basement and was met with the sight of Shadow and he slumped "You've got to be kidding me" Wally muttered

"Hello Kid Flash" She said before gripping him up and holding a knife against his throat "Goodbye Kid Flash" She watched as Vertigo gave a satisfactory nod and left the basement "No the heart..." Kid trailed off and Shadow rolled her eyes "The heart is fine, they will begin operating on Perdita as we speak"

"Lady, you gotta pick a side" She embedded a dagger from her belt into his foot and kept the other one on his throat as he let out a pained yell "Seriously?" He gritted out weakly

"I am tasked to kill whomever opposes this plan hence I shall have to hurt you but I hear you heal fast" She smirked

"Wait..." Wally dragged out "Before you kill me...I've been trying to find that breakfast bar you gave me. Where did you get that? It's like only the best thing I've had, I ran to every store in town but I don't know one place that sells them"

"I have a knife to your throat and that is the question you ask?"

"Well...kinda?"

"I do not know and I do not care" She said and Wally slumped once more, his plan of talking her ear off not working out "Oh man" She rolled her eyes and pulled him closer "Listen to what I am saying closely and carefully..."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

"HE IS IN THE RECOVERY ROOM, THE DOCTORS MUST HAVE FOUND HIM IN HIS WEAK STATE" Shadow informed Vertigo who shook his head "It does not matter, the pest is dead and I am king. All ends well. I shall even spare this one for his interference" She nodded and stepped out of the room.

Kid woke up with a groan "Count Vertigo." He glared and the man narrowed his eyes "That's King Vertigo to you, peasant."

"King?" The red head questioned "Perdita is dead." He informed gleefully "And the beauty of it is I never laid a hand on her." The speedster glared at him "And now no one can lay a hand on you."

"As King of Vlatava, I'm untouchable.

"Let's test that theory." He struggled due to his state "Ow."

"Now, now, little hero, you'll pull your stitches. Besides, who exactly are you mad at, hmm?" He smirked "She died on the table. All that planning, all that effort, neither of us need have bothered."

"Right, and now it must kill you to know that you owe favors to Vandal Savage..." He trailed looking at the window to see it still snowing "...and I'm guessing five ice villains for nothing."

"Not at all. They played their roles in my attempt to rid Vlatava of Perdita."

"We couldn't know it was unnecessary.

"So you all still deserve credit for attempted murder.

"It's called regicide." Kid smirked "It's called you're busted, jerkface." He countered as the patient next to him pulled back their curtains to reveal the blonde Shadow had grown quite fond off "I believe you know Queen Perdita."

"No." Vertigo uttered, shocked as he heard a recording of himself "it's called regicide."

"Count Werner Vertigo as queen of Vlatava, I hereby accuse you of high treason against the Crown..." She began and her guards stepped forward "...and revoke your diplomatic immunity."

"No!" With no options left, Vertigo lunged at his niece with his sword, but Kid Flash, revealed his post-exertion weakness was only a feint, disarmed him with an IV pole. The guards overpower Count Vertigo, who fought still and Kid Flash turned to them "Send this clown to Belle Reve."

"Well played, children. Admittedly, well played. This round goes to you. And please, by all means allow the victory to go to your heads." He said as he was taken away

"Thank you. Your plan worked perfectly." Perdita thanked him and he shook his head "Wasn't exactly all mine When I went down to fight them in the basement and found out you were in recovery. I met someone there, and they told me that no matter what, Vertigo would make another attempt on your life unless A, he thought you were dead, and two, he lost that darn immunity and was sent away for good."

Perdita smiled knowingly "My guardian angel is a smart one is she not?" Wally's brows furrowed in confusion as he limped towards her and handed her the sword "That sword is an heirloom belonging to my country. Not to the count. I would be pleased for you to have it as a reward..." He began to deny "...or as a souvenir?" She offered.

When Kid Flash was gone and the chaos had settled, Perdita looked at the corner seat with a smile "You saved me"

"You do not require saving, princess. In fact you impressed me with your bravery" Perdita blushed "I like you very much, my guardian angel" Shadow offered her a smile "I like you as well, your majesty. Though you must sleep, you need to rest"

"Will you stay until I do?" She asked and Shadow nodded, she stayed with the girl until she had fallen asleep before leaving the room.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

CENTRAL CITY

WALLY ENTERED HIS ROOM AFTER A HAVING A GREAT BIRTHDAY DINNER AND WAS JUST HAPPY HE DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THE DISHES. But, a figure in the darkness caused him to yelp loudly. He immediately reached for his desk, knocking over things and falling down himself in the process before opening his study lamp. He spotted Shadow and his eyes widened, "Say a word and I'll tear you limb from limb" She threatened and he nodded

"Wally! Is everything ok?" His mother questioned from down stairs and he nodded "Yeah ma, I'm fine I just...saw my reflection?"

"What? Go to sleep you have school!"

"Your reflection?" She said-dully and he ignored her "Why are you here? Do you know how creepy this is" She only stepped closer, looking way too menacing and he immediately began "If you try to kill me I'll—"

"—you'll what?"

"I'll run" He lamely countered

"We both know I will catch you" She taunted and he huffed before getting a good look at her in the light "Are you—You're covered in...blood?"

She remained there, her gaze on him like a predator "It's not mine, do not worry"

"That's not comforting!" He yelled out "Did you murder someone before coming here?" He exclaimed in shock and horror and she simply shrugged "You call it murder, I call it a conversation starter"

"How the hell is that a conversation starter?" He questioned, mildly terrified "Well we are having a conversation, aren't we?" He cleared his throat and snapped his fingers "Point"

"So you gonna kill me?" He questioned as he began to stand up and she raised a brow "On your birthday? You really think that low of me?"

He was about to answer with a yes but she already began "I'll wait till midnight. Though I must admit there is something poetic about one being born and dying on the same day" She threw a knife next to his head causing him to duck down in fear and she smirked "You are far too easy. Give me back my dagger"

He scoffed "You mean my souvenir? Finders keepers, Lydia Deetz" She gave him a dry look, already done with the conversation, there she goes being polite rather than using force "You didn't find it, it was embedded into your foot on purpose"

"Technicality"

She rolled her eyes "I want it back. It was not to be used in a fight"

"Well I can't help you" He shuffled closer to his desk and crossed his arms "I don't have it"

"Top right desk drawer" She answered and he groaned "Damn it" He then turned to her "I'm not giving it"

"Why not?"

"A-I found it, I'm keeping it, B-I'm petty like that and C-it's like the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's authentic ninja gear"

"Give it or..." He scoffed "What you'll kill me? I think you would have by now" He said gesturing to the knife in his wall and she shook her head "I shall go downstairs and tell your lovely mother on you" His eyes widened comically "Don't tell ma!"

She smirked as he rushed to the desk drawer and immediately handed her the dagger "Thank you" She said and he rolled his eyes "Whatever" He turned to close his desk drawer and when he turned back to retort "One more thing, don't think that I'm scared of my mother...this is so not...and she's gone" He trailed off as he found his room empty, the curtains blowing with the breeze.

On his bed was a large cardboard box and when he opened it, he saw the breakfast bars in bulk and he grinned "Dude! Yes"

This was definitely the best birthday of his life

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
─────⋅☾

THERE IS NO MORE DEADLY PERIL THAN OBEDIENCE. STATED ARE DEVOURED BY IT, HOMES LAID IN RUINS, ARMIES DEFEATED, VICTORY TURNED TO ROUT. WHILE SIMPLE DISOBEDIENCE SAVES THE LIVES OF HUNDREDS OF HONEST FOLK

On Infinity Island there was a whole other thing waiting for her to attend to "Shadow. You were tasked to kill Kid Flash but you did not. We demand an explanation"

"I had him weakened, the doctors caught him in time but, it was ultimately Count Vertigo who intercepted, saying he wished to display his victory to the hero and dismissed me."

Infront of her stood members of the Light, particularly Lex Luthor and Queen Bee, the latter defending her actions to Sensei "Typical. That man. No wonder it's a woman who inherits his throne. She is not to be blamed for this"

"Agreed" Ra's added and Sensei nodded turning to her "You are dismissed" She bowed and walked away leaving them behind to discuss whatever sinister plot they had planned next

She was just glad that the Queen was safe and another country had not fallen victim to the Light's terror. She returned to her chambers and practically threw herself on the bed, absolutely exhausted with everything and sighed in content. Before she knew it, she had fallen asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.1K 529 14
Adventures and moments with the Young Justice team. Art cover isn't mine. Credit to artist.
1.9K 54 11
𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𖤐 "the quality or state of being true" ⚘ 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬𝟑 ⚘ 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐱𝐨𝐜
90.9K 2.7K 45
"I love you, Blue Jay. I love everything about you." "And I love you, Dick Grayson. But-" "But what?!" "How can you say you love everything about me...
1.1K 65 7
After a freak Mishap, the Team find themselves in an unfamiliar world, with some very familiar faces. Ported from my YJ oneshots book. This will be...